PDA

View Full Version : Time for some Flannery spoilers!

Zak
11th December 2003, 10:43 PM
Checking out Palette's boards, I noticed some info on the latest episode.

Mura, Flannery's Grandpa, is a retired Gym leader from Lavaridge who has a Typhlosion, and they both have a new job, so Flannery has just replaced him. However, Flannery has to pass some tests to achieve her position as a Gym leader. She does some special training and tasks with her Torkoal and her two Slugma's, Megu and Magu, including filling the holes in the wrecked battlefield. At the end she battles her grandfather Mura, using Magu, who evolves into a Magcargo. Somehow she achieves the position.

Next week, Ash and Flannery have a 3 VS 3, and Ash's lineup in this battle consists of Pikachu, Corphish, and.... Treecko. Yes, Treecko, the Grass type. I wonder what the writers have up their sleeve this time...

~Zak

Cosmos
11th December 2003, 11:11 PM
I'm just curious to know, did Brock fall in love with Flannery? Did he madly fall in love with her?

JazzJazz
11th December 2003, 11:22 PM
From the preview it looks like treecko is first (against slugma... seems to be having trouble), then pikachu and finally corphish... from how corphish is released it seems as though it's Ash's last hope against difficult odds.

AKA Pokemon Fan
12th December 2003, 12:47 AM
They'd better give Taillow some good battle time in the next gym... I mean we've seen Ash win when at an elemental disadvantage before. Why not let Taillow take on the Slugma? He could win, especially since Slugma has no shell... :(

Gravy
12th December 2003, 08:03 AM
God, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm just getting sick of Taillow being somewhat ignored and tossed to the side whilst we see every other pokémon battle. I would really have liked to see Taillow evading an onslaught of Flamethrowers whilst weaving through the air. Oh well, there's always the extremly low chance we'll see it another gym battle...meh, I've got my bets on Fortree's gym...
*ahem* Enough of Taillow though.

Well, the gym battle is looking quite interesting indeed. I'm not too sure about seeing another Slugma and Magcargo, but the battles are looking pretty intense already, which is pretty good considering Flannery's pokémon aren't exactly speed demons.
Looks like Pika faints to Torkoal in the preview, seeing as Torkoal is the pokémon that likes to blow off a little steam :P
Erm, I knew Corphish would battle. But, I want to know what exactly is wrong with it. If you look at the preveiw, when it comes out of the pokéball, it looks kinda exhausted. And when Torkoal attacks it, it doesn't seem to actually be doing anything...

Nikku-San
12th December 2003, 08:04 AM
My guess is that one of Flannery's Pokemon will use Sunny Day, opening up for Treecko to attack with Solar Beam. Taking advantage of the opponent's attacks. :D

Rei_Zero
12th December 2003, 12:13 PM
Very funny nikku.....
I don't mean to shoot you down, but Treeko's don't naturally learn solar beam, and Treeko is barely even half the experience level Bulbasaur was at when it learned solar beam, plus the fact that Solar Beam's power is emphasized so much that it is rarely used. I'm sorry if I'm sounding mean or anything, but lately you guys have had as many wild and wishful guesses as a clan of gossipers.

Zak
12th December 2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Rei_Zero
Very funny nikku.....
I don't mean to shoot you down, but Treeko's don't naturally learn solar beam, and Treeko is barely even half the experience level Bulbasaur was at when it learned solar beam, plus the fact that Solar Beam's power is emphasized so much that it is rarely used. I'm sorry if I'm sounding mean or anything, but lately you guys have had as many wild and wishful guesses as a clan of gossipers.

Not to mention Solar Beam will barely have an effect on FIRE types...

If Treecko beats ANYONE, it'll probably be Magcargo, because of the additional Rock type. And it would be with Bullet Seed.

But if it's anyone else... Treecko may use some Physical attacks, or some non-Grass special attacks.... lol, fat chance.

~Zak

Animelee
12th December 2003, 04:34 PM
Treecko's pretty badass, so I'm sure he'll find some kind of badass way to win. ;) Maybe he'll use his stick to clog one of the holes on Torkoal's back, thus making the steam from inside Torkoal build up, and, then, BLAM, Torkoal faints?

Originally posted by Rei_Zero
but lately you guys have had as many wild and wishful guesses as a clan of gossipers.

It's called speculating...

Gravy
12th December 2003, 04:35 PM
*blinks* But...Animelee, from the preview it pretty much confirms Corphish is up against Torkoal ^_^0

Animelee
12th December 2003, 05:06 PM
Maybe Corphish will faint, and Treecko will need to be called out again? @_@

I guess we'll have to see what happens.

Kojiro
12th December 2003, 05:36 PM
IS Torkaol small? or did they increase his size?

And Corphish and Treecko battled a Slugma very recently anyway.

Okay after watching it, it seems Corphish is the focus, It looks like he is asleep or passed out, maybe he will learn a new move, or evolve? i doubt Treecko will, but Corphsih? But I hope Corphsih won't evolve, Crawdanut is a dark type and ugly, and does not say "Hey,hey,hey!"!!!

Gravy
12th December 2003, 06:03 PM
Meh, I'm sure they would never evolve Corphish anyways. Its more of a comic relif pokémon. Kinda like the joker of Ashes group really.
And yes...Crawdaunt doesn't say 'Hei,hei,hei' :P

Nikku-San
12th December 2003, 06:09 PM
>.< Sorry, I just get excited and don't nother to think sometimes. =\ I've never trained a Treecko, so I just figured it could learn it. *crawls off in shame*

Animelee
12th December 2003, 06:21 PM
Don't worry -- I didn't think it was a big deal that you made a mistake with Treecko and Solarbeam. Unfortunately, some people blew it way out of proportion.

Hey, and besides, Treecko cannot learn Bullet Seed without a TM being used on it. In the show, Ash taught him to use Bullet Seed the natural way, like Pikachu and Iron Tail. So, hey, Nikku, you're actually right.

Wild Eevee
12th December 2003, 09:24 PM
This should be an intresting battle since his Corphish is the only Pokemon with an advantage over fire types. I don't know if Pikachu would be much help since Slugma
will evolve into Macargo (I saw this on serbii .net )which is part rock type,and we all know how well pikachu did against Blaine's fire types althought Treeko will probally do ok since he;s so tough.He look like he could stand up to a fire pokemon.

Typhlosion show up? Well i'ts about time!
They've showed all the other GS starter evoloutions on the show.

Light_Togetic
12th December 2003, 09:41 PM
This should prove to be an interesting battle! I don't think Pikachu will do much in this battle. The types just don't look good for it, and the writers will probably want to give a good chunk of experience to Treecko&Corphish.

I agree about the Taillow thing. It really does need to be used more. When it was introduced, it looked like it could be a real contender, what with that determined attitude and everything, but then it just got reduced to "lost people finder". >_<

I'm sure that Ash will win some surprisingly strategic way like he does when he's in a pinch. You know, who really knows? For all we know, he might lose, and then have to go train for a few episodes like with Brawly.

Rei_Zero
13th December 2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Animelee

It's called speculating...
And it ain't a bad thing. Not that I'm shooting any of you guys down, but your speculations are off the roof on the wild scale this week.:D;

Animelee
13th December 2003, 02:38 AM
But Pikachu and Treecko learned Iron Tail and Bullet Seed without the use of TM's. :P

Nikku-San
13th December 2003, 06:24 AM
Cool, I didn't think they used TMs in the show. I really want to see the one where Pikachu learns Iron Tail. I've been waiting for that forever. Well, ever since I heard about it anyway.

Animelee
13th December 2003, 07:32 AM
I think it comes on next week on Kids WB!, I'm not sure, I don't watch the English version anymore. :D

Nikku-San
13th December 2003, 09:20 AM
I hope you watch the original subtitled, cuz otherwise it would be confusing. I used to watch Digimon Tamers and Frontier raw. Then I started watching subs. Now raws make no sense to me. ^-^;;

Animelee
13th December 2003, 07:48 PM
At first, I didn't understand much, because it was my first time watching a raw cartoon in Japanese, but after a while, I started picking up phrases, words, and such. The great thing about Pokemon is that it's such a basic show, so the actions of the characters basically tell you what's going on. :D

After watching raw Pokemon for 55 weeks, now, I know my fair share, but, still not everything.

By the way, when I say that I don't watch the dub, I'm not trying to be a snob, or anything, it's just that I don't wake up early to watch AG on Kids WB! anymore, since I've already seen the episode.

If you watch enough Pokemon episodes raw (and you may have to, since some groups haven't subbed past AG 013), you'll pick up a lot! :)

I think new parents should let their babies watch Pokemon, because it's such a basic show, so the babies will know what's happening, and they could learn another language, since their brains pick up everything at that age. :D

Kojiro
13th December 2003, 08:24 PM
I *coughsuckingupto* agree with Lee!

I learned alot of stuff by watching the orignal, like Ekay means "go". Also are you guys lazy or something, you say it come on too early, I don't know bout you, but I wake up like at 8:00 and am perfectly awake, and I go to bed at 1:00!!!!!

Gravy
14th December 2003, 03:13 AM
Meh, I'm also starting to watch the raw versions a lot more than the dubs now. I dunno, the dub just doesn't sem to have the same feeling as the original, and that really does affect it IMO.
I still do tape the dubs though, even if I have got them all in japanese. I guess I just like to compare each version to each other :P
I have to agree with Animelee, it isn't too difficult to understand at all, the animation pretty much tells it for you. But it does help if you know a few pharses and words, and you do start picking up a lot of them the more you watch.

Mikey
14th December 2003, 10:58 AM
Why are people saying that Treecko will lose? Um, we've seen far worse scenarios in the past where type disadvantages were outweighed. I believe Treecko will have a part to play in this episode, whether it be a faint right off the bat or maybe a victory. We'll see, but hey, stranger things have happened. (Go for the Rhydon's Horn!!!!)

Jash Thor
14th December 2003, 06:17 PM
Ok let me get one thing out...

FLANNERY IS HOT!! I mean with that belly shirt, and the red hair and the baggy low riding jeans (or it looks like it), and tall!! (or at least everyone else is short). I see y Brock fell in love with her!! CUZ SHE IS THE FIRE GYM LEADER THAT IS SMOKING!!!

heh heh *everyone is staring*

had to get that out

Pewter City Geodude
14th December 2003, 10:21 PM
I just saw the first Flannery ep, and I have several interesting points to bring up for discussion, in no particular order:

-how the HECK did Cacnea manage to keep going after getting hit with all those supereffective Fire attacks?
-that attack Cacnea used...was it Needle Arm or Focus Punch?
-I like the personality they gave Flannery! She's new at this whole Gym Leader thing, quite obviously, but she's enthusiastic and loves her Pokemon.
-when Mura revealed who he was, just what in the world was Brock saying when he grabbed his hands, the way he usually does with a girl, but of course without the lovesick expression?
-Brock reacted to Flannery about the way I expected. Usually with the Girl of the Day he goes crazy first and is pretty much calm for the rest of the ep, but he did it at least 3 times in this ep. I love his initial reaction, with the smoke coming from his head and stuff. :D

Animelee
14th December 2003, 10:30 PM
The attack used was Pin Missle, actually. :)

Takeshi/Brock was asking Mura for permission to marry Asuna/Flannery.

Pewter City Geodude
14th December 2003, 10:34 PM
The attack used was Pin Missle, actually. :)

Takeshi/Brock was asking Mura for permission to marry Asuna/Flannery.

1. No, you're looking at the wrong one. At one point, Cacnea's arm glowed white as it did some kind of punch, so it had to be either Needle Arm or Focus Punch.

2. Ah, it's all coming together now. :D

Nikku-San
14th December 2003, 10:40 PM
Jyashuu wa hentai desu! XD

Animelee
14th December 2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Pewter City Geodude
1. No, you're looking at the wrong one. At one point, Cacnea's arm glowed white as it did some kind of punch, so it had to be either Needle Arm or Focus Punch.

Ah, the one where he spins his arm around and around? I just listened to that part, and Kojiro says, "Sabona, Nidoru Amu!" Needle Arm, then. ^^

Pewter City Geodude
14th December 2003, 11:09 PM
Ah, ok, makes sense. I didn't hear that part. Thanks. Funny how some of the attack names sound similar in Japanese...Poison Tail for example.

Animelee
14th December 2003, 11:39 PM
Most of the Japanese attack names are actually English words. :o I was shocked when I first found out. Some are different, though. Like, the attack, Mega Punch for us, is "Megatan Panchi", or, "Megaton Punch", for them. Although, a lot are the same, like "Poison Tail", "Solarbeam", etc. :)

Pewter City Geodude
14th December 2003, 11:51 PM
Cool.

And Flannery is HOT BTW. :P (Just had to get that out.)

Gravy
15th December 2003, 06:46 AM
Heh...is it just me, or does almost everyone think Flannery is 'hot'? :rolleyes: Man...everytime I see that, I see it as a pun.

So Brock was asking if he could marry her then? Wow...I thought he was just begging Mura to let him date her or summinc XD

Nikku-San
15th December 2003, 10:50 AM
Animelee: Is it actually Megaton Panchi or was that a typo. I would transliterate that as Megaton Panchu, but I'm not exactly a Japanese expert.

Kojiro
15th December 2003, 03:57 PM
I hate Flannery, she is so sickingly skinny! Can't we for once have a tubby female, just once I am sick of all these models who starve themselves!-Ok I know I am the only guy who thinks that, so adds that to sig.

BAttle was cool thoguh, Typlosion rocked! And Canea and Seviper would nto give up!

And I though brock was in love with Mura! LOL!

Animelee
15th December 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Nikku-San
Animelee: Is it actually Megaton Panchi or was that a typo. I would transliterate that as Megaton Panchu, but I'm not exactly a Japanese expert.

For Japanese people, they would pronounce and spell is as "Megatan Panchi", because of their accent. But, if you were to romanize it, it would be "Megaton Punch".

For example, Solarbeam for us is also Solarbeam for them, but the way they pronounce/spell it is "Sorabimu". When romanized, it's Solarbeam. :)

Other same-name-Japanese-English attacks are Poison Tail, Needle Arm, Aurora Beam, Aeroblast, etc. :)

Pewter City Geodude
15th December 2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Kojiro
I hate Flannery, she is so sickingly skinny! Can't we for once have a tubby female, just once I am sick of all these models who starve themselves!

I don't think Flannery is all that skinny. And an example of a female who isn't skinny...first one that pops into my mind is Madame Muchmoney. Although I know there's a slight age difference...but meh whatever. :P

Nikku-San
16th December 2003, 12:36 PM
Animelee: I know about their accent and all, but in most cases, a word like that would have an almost silent u sound at the end. I was just confused as to why that word has an i instead. Different dialect maybe?

Kojiro: Even I think Flannery looks pretty good. And that's strange coming from me. XD

Animelee
16th December 2003, 07:01 PM
Ah, okay.

Usually if a word is from the English language, then there's always a "chi" at the end, especially for a word with a higher-sounding syllable before the "ch", like "pitch", or, in this case, "punch".

Grah, it's so hard to explain. >_<

Mikachu Yukitatsu should be able to explain better. ;_;

Pewter City Geodude
16th December 2003, 07:12 PM
Since this is getting a little off topic, this screenshot should be able to turn things back on track...thanks, Animelee. :D

http://members.shaw.ca/shinygeodude/brockseesflannery.jpg

have a stammer
16th December 2003, 11:28 PM
I am getting tired of people complaing about how skinny anime girls are. First off this a cartoon made in JAPAN not the utterly obese nation of the US where Ambulance stretchers recently had to be retooled so that they could support the increasing bulge of America. In Japan they actually walk to places they wish to go. They don't eat till there stuffed instead eat decent portions and They eat A lot of RICE and Fish which is not fattening. The reason there are not a lot of fat Anime Characters is because although there are large Japanese citizens there is no whereas many as many the US. ;)

Animelee
17th December 2003, 12:41 AM
She's just a cartoon character. :P

Gaborn
17th December 2003, 01:07 AM
She's just a cartoon character. :P At least until the next anime convention. Then there will be about thirty Flannerys (and the only one that will even pass for her will be the mighty Man-Faye).

Nikku-San
17th December 2003, 01:13 AM
Gah, why the heck does Japanese have to have so many rules. *sigh*

I didn't say I'm sexually attracted to Flannery, I just think she looks good. If she was a real girl, I might be. That makes her really exceptional.

Pewter City Geodude
17th December 2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by Nikku-San
I didn't say I'm sexually attracted to Flannery, I just think she looks good. If she was a real girl, I might be. That makes her really exceptional.

Well said. Agreed.

At the very least, she's one of the most popular Gym Leaders ever IMO. :P

Light_Togetic
17th December 2003, 01:32 PM
Geez, am I the only girl here! >_< J/K. I find this discussion of Flannery's sexiness all rather amusing. (It reminds me of Hanada Tattsu when he found out that Misty was 'coming back') ;)

And I think Kojiro's right. Where have all the regular sized women gone?? They're either skinny, or really, really big. There's no happy medium... ;_; ... like some of us regular people here!

Erm, anyway, before I get carried away on something off-topic, that picture was so hilarious!! Brock's so predictable...

As for Flannery, she's one of my favorite Hoenn gym leaders besides Wattson and Norman. Besides, she trains Fire types, which are one of my favorite types. ^^ And they sound like they gave her a nice personality in the anime. I hope she keeps it in the dub.

Pewter City Geodude
17th December 2003, 02:02 PM
They DID give her a nice personality. I didn't understand 99% of what was being said, but with the Pokemon anime, you can get a rough idea of what's going on just by watching the episode. As New York Yankee Hall of Famer Yogi Berra once said, "You can observe a lot by watching." :D

Anyway, I liked her personality. She was excitable, obviously loved her Pokemon (I think her shirt was on fire because she was playing with her Slugma or something), and got really excited when Ash (apparently) said he was there for a gym battle, since I got the impression it was going to be her first one as a Gym Leader. I like how her Slugma have nicknames, she's the first GL we've seen so far who's actually done that. And when one of her Slugma evolved, she celebrated excitedly again. I got the impression that she loves her Fire Pokemon and being a Gym Leader. :D

Kojiro
18th December 2003, 04:09 PM
Geeesh have a Stammer, I just got a little mad at all these starvation diet girls, sure there not obese, but they don't have to be the opposite of that, um.............esebo?

Anyway I am glad someone agrees with me, but I wish I was not the only guy who does not like Flannery, kinda akward.

And I think brock evolved into a Torkaol!

and PCG, I belive, uh whats her name, The olivine gym leader, gave a name to her Ampharos.

btw.....

WHAT HAPPENED ON TODAYS EPISODE! I MUST FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENDED TO MY POOR CORHISH!!!

Pewter City Geodude
18th December 2003, 06:31 PM
LOL Brock evolved into a Torkoal... :yes:

Check out this pic...after Max dragged Brock away from the initial reaction, he STILL had the hearts in his eyes:

http://members.shaw.ca/shinygeodude/stretchedear.jpg

You're right about Jasmine, good point. Her Ampharos was called Sparkle. I don't think it counts though cause she didn't use it for Gym battles, its only job was at the lighthouse.

Kojiro
19th December 2003, 01:13 PM
Ok so does anybody know what happened?

I need to know!

JazzJazz
19th December 2003, 02:00 PM
I do know that Ash won his battle... and his heat badge.

Rocketboy
19th December 2003, 03:46 PM
She's just a cartoon character. :P

JUST a cartoon character???? JUST A CARTOON CHARACTER???????!!!!!!! I'LL SHOW YOU A CARTOON CHARECTER!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue101/futurama2.jpg

See? all drawn and everything....

Animelee
19th December 2003, 05:21 PM
LOL! Clever. Fry owns!

But seriously, I don't know how people can find cartoon characters to be appealing. I mean, there's a hentai (cartoon nudity) industry out there, and I find it oddly...odd. It's one thing for people to find them attractive, and another thing to take cartoons to a whole 'nother level. :S

Maybe I should stop taking everything off-topic. :S

AKA Pokemon Fan
19th December 2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Light_Togetic
And I think Kojiro's right. Where have all the regular sized women gone?? They're either skinny, or really, really big. There's no happy medium... ;_; ... like some of us regular people here!
Well anime people in general tend to be in better shape than real ones. Plus it makes sense that a lot of female Pokemon trainers would look attractive what with all the exercise they get combined with all the beneficial effects of having a Pokemon (all that positive energy is good for you).

However, I would disagree that there aren't many normal looking woman out there. You see them all the time in the background in crowd scenes, and a number of the girls of the day, while not stocky or fat by any means, are also quite "plain" compared to knockouts like Flannery, Clair, Prima, Lisa, Liza, Aya etc.

Not all the old people are ugly trolls either. Remember that crazy old couple in the Sunkern episode back in the Johto mini-arc about Articuno? They looked pretty normal. There is also Pryce and his assistant/possible girlfriend.

Pewter City Geodude
19th December 2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
knockouts like Flannery, Clair, Prima, Lisa, Liza, Aya etc.

You mean Lisa from Pokemon 3? Someone else likes her? Cool! :D

Animelee
19th December 2003, 11:30 PM
There is also Pryce and his assistant/possible girlfriend.

That was his sister. :S

AKA Pokemon Fan
19th December 2003, 11:40 PM
Yes indeedy, Lisa as in the Aipom trainer, not Liza the Charizard trainer. I've always found Lisa to be one of the most attractive female characters in Pokemon. Her eyes are my favorite color too... yellow... Want some screenshots of her?:D

Sorry to stray off topic but there's nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn't take over the topic right?

AKA Pokemon Fan
19th December 2003, 11:42 PM
That was his sister. :S
That's odd, they don't look too similar. Not to mention the dub made no mention of them being related as far as I recall.:confused:

Pewter City Geodude
20th December 2003, 12:13 AM
I found a couple on the Pokemon 3 website but it wouldn't hurt to have more. I really liked her personality too. :)

Animelee
20th December 2003, 03:45 AM
That's odd, they don't look too similar. Not to mention the dub made no mention of them being related as far as I recall.:confused:

She mentionned a few times how she always looked up to her older brother Pryce.

I wish I could find an episode guide to help jog your memory.

Andrew
20th December 2003, 04:25 AM

Gavin Luper has actually written a Fic about Lisa and her adventures prior to and after the movie, its really quite excellent one of my fav fics. Its called - Lisa The Legend. There's currently 44 chapters and its into its final stretch.

http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2313

*Puffs out chest which as "Fanfic Mod" on it* See, my seal of approval :D

Read it now!

Kojiro
20th December 2003, 07:03 AM
The link leads to a topic about Monkeys!

Anyway what happened! Cut the chit-chat and get down to the root!