PDA

View Full Version : Signature Rules

MetalScyther
12th December 2003, 04:17 PM
What exactly is the length for the signature, before it is 'owned'? I know I've been told a few times but I keep forgetting.

But anyway, this is mostly just a complaint about absurdly long(and also crappy signatures). IIRC I think that the limit was like 15 lines or something, but I forget. I've been seeing a lot of singatures that are very long(ie., if I put where there post ends(right at the signature dash mark), I can't even see the end of their signature!). It gets insane, and it is also extremely annoying to do this(and I'm even on a big moniter).

Does this bug anyone else? Any reason why it (seems) to be so huge of a limit?

Once I can get a good answer with this(and when I'm through with this subject), feel free to close/delete this, seeing as how it isn't that important of a subject.

Kyl3
12th December 2003, 05:28 PM
20 lines.

Little_Pikachu
12th December 2003, 07:10 PM
20 lines on my resolution. See the link in my sig for details.

You think that's too long? Everyone else seems to think it's too short. I guess we can't please everyone.

MetalScyther
13th December 2003, 04:33 PM
Well, I guess what I always thought: "what the hell is so important in your 20-line signature that I have to see every time you post" I mean I can see like a 8-line sig not being annoying, but some people just seem to have absurdly long signatures; in most forums that is a sign of noobdom, ;[

Anyway, does a picture just count as one line or something then? Maybe that is why there are so many absurdly long signatures.

Little_Pikachu
13th December 2003, 06:08 PM
Yeah, I currently don't have a limit on how big a picture is before it's considered more than a line. It's something I was going to discuss with Kevin, but as anyone who knows the situation will be aware, this hasn't been possible.

If this is concerning a lot of people, maybe we should discuss this over some imaginary tea and cookies if you get my drift.

homeofmew
13th December 2003, 08:14 PM
;o Kevin doesn't even care anymore I bet he doesn't even remember what this place is, he is just paying for TPM.
WHY he is Lazy. He has a tv next to his computer to turn and watch and then he goes and watches anime on his computer.
20 lines Should be enough I know at pojo it is a max of 9 or 8 or something. And One medium size pic per sig. Whatever.
But keeping your sig reasonable. it is a Signiture not your lifes story!

Razola
13th December 2003, 09:21 PM
Kevin pays for TPM, so don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Twenty lines is plenty. We come to read posts, not sigs.

EDIT: Isn't there a feature that allows the board to automatically put a line cap on sigs?

woz
13th December 2003, 09:58 PM
<@woz> how much does tpm cost you per month kevin
<@PMK> $0

edit: you can limit the amount of images per signature. i think it is set to 8 at the moment. you can also set the maximum amount of characters in posts/signatures. i think the default is 10,000.

Razola
14th December 2003, 02:19 AM
Well damn, he must have a guy on the inside...or those ads pay better than I thought.

The Muffin Man
24th December 2003, 11:28 AM
Actually, Suzie, didn't you once say 20 lines was the "real" limit that you told people, but if it took up less than 20 lines but it took up ONE FULL BROWSER in your Resolution(1024x768)?

Chris
24th December 2003, 08:11 PM
Yeah, but 20 lines of size 2 text is roughly one page at 1024x768.

Shuppet Master
31st August 2007, 02:44 PM
How big can your signature picture be? I have a very bad quality pic(40% quality) to comply with the 8 KB rule, but I didn't use the "signature picture" option in my User CP, I used an IMG tag.

Drusilla
31st August 2007, 02:56 PM
Quoted from Suzie's sig page (http://www.angelfire.com/me/SuzieW/sig.html):

"Any large images must be less than one full browser window by my monitor which is currently on a resolution of 1024 x 768, a limit on file size has not yet been decided, but should be soon."

As for when this was last updated, I don't know. If it's a pressing matter, I suggest PMing or IMing her.

AdventureSerum
31st August 2007, 06:08 PM
How do I put a picture in my signature?

Blademaster
31st August 2007, 07:27 PM
........^------------Link to picture goes here.

AdventureSerum
2nd September 2007, 12:27 PM
What do I do if it's a .bmp file?

Drusilla
2nd September 2007, 02:25 PM
It doesn't matter; you have to have the full URL for the image, though.
For example... say I wanted to put one of my banners in my sig. I have them uploaded to my image host (I use photobucket...), and then get the URL.

Here is one: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/wednesdaygirl13/drubanner2.jpg

I put the IMG tags around it, like so (I used asterisks, *, so that the tags won't actually work and can be seen...) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/wednesdaygirl13/drubanner2.jpg[/img*]

The end result (again, sans asterisks):
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v138/wednesdaygirl13/drubanner2.jpg

I know this goes above and beyond the topic... but just for reference, I suppose.

Lady Vulpix
5th September 2007, 05:42 AM
Personally, I find that images over (approximately) 500 pixels wide deform the posts they're placed in. Over 600 pixels and they make my window scroll horizontally.