PDA

View Full Version : The Golden Pens Voting Method Suggestion Topic - click on me, click on me!

PancaKe
18th December 2003, 11:02 PM
Okay, golden pen awards are coming up, and mods have hit a dilemah.

After much concideration, mods are now looking for a new method of submitting votes. Email voting, has had numerous problems, and mods are now searching for an alternative.

Here's where you come in.

We're asking you to help come up with a new voting system to be used for the Golden Pen and Silver Pencil awards. The chosen new system will have their name mentioned in every awards topic (such as Voting bla bla bla thanks to Thepokemastermember#617450)

When suggesting a new way, please take the following points into concideration:

- it should make voting easier
- it should make talleying easier
- it should have a way of identifying who is voting
- it should have a way of preventing self votes
- it should have a way of allowing the member to vote once only
- preferably be able to keep the 3 point voting system
- and it should be easier than email voting!

We're waiting to hear from you!

~Mist

Captain Pringle
19th December 2003, 05:39 AM
why won't private-message voting work?

Andrew
19th December 2003, 05:58 AM
PM Box Spam ++

mistysakura
19th December 2003, 07:15 AM
We could always clear our PM boxes out every day or something, after saving the PMs onto Word etc. But that means that only one mod can tally, and if that mod's busy, the rest of the forum gets a long wait.

If only we could have BIG polls on the forum, not just one per topic...

dratinihaunter13
19th December 2003, 08:39 AM
I think we could clear our PM boxes out for some votes, then tally them. My only worry was one member getting two member names or more, then voting with each one. To remedy that, I suggest we only count votes from members with 100 posts or higher, or some other arbitrary number.

Lady Vulpix
19th December 2003, 11:40 AM
I think mixing up postcounts in this is a bad idea. In any case, you can accept votes from people who have joined before the beginning of the nominations (if the aim is to prevent people from making fake accounts). Anyway, making fake accounts wouldn't be a good idea, because they would be banned if found.

With more time, we could make a special voting system, but that would require a database, and making a good authentication method would be hard.

mr_pikachu
9th January 2004, 01:23 AM
I believe I've come up with a solution to the problem. I'll PM the four mods about my idea, and give them the first demonstration. I'll be PMing you guys shortly. :wave:

Powarun
10th January 2004, 08:54 PM
Hmm, making an alternative email address and making use send something there wouldn't be too bad, exept for some stupid idiotic, brainless fool would send spam there. And a huge poll wouldn't work, since some people may make fake accounts just to vote for their fic. Look in the members thingy, and look at how many people have never posted once.
Best bet IMO, make a fake account here call Poll of Awards, let people send PM's there, and if it gets filled, make PoA 2.

Andrew
13th January 2004, 08:09 PM
Mr Pika - THank you very much for doing that for us, but it wouldn't load for me, and the only problem we really had with it, is that we didn't have our 321 voting system.

Powaran - That's really what we've been doing for years but thanks.

I think we may go with PM voting actually. :|

mr_pikachu
13th January 2004, 10:06 PM
Okay. That's fine; I just wish that I hadn't spent my time on it. But no matter; I'll try to have one that complies with the 3-2-1 system by next time. (No promises, though!) I appreciate your feedback, and thanks for giving your reasons instead of saying "This is ****, get outta my sight!" ;) lol, I know you'd never do that. But thanks again for your input. See ya! :wave: