PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] Bah.. rate my team?

Soneko
20th December 2003, 03:56 PM
Yep, started playing GSC again... Im not too good, but I like making movesets. I dont like low accuracy moves, nope. And I dunno which items to equip... oh well.

Houndoom (Mystery Seed?)
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Crunch

Feraligatr (Nevermeltice?)
Surf
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Slash

Snorlax (Leftovers)
Body Slam
Belly Drum
Rest
Snore

Electrode (Dunno)
Thunder
Rain Dance
Explosion
Mirror Coat

Golem (Quick Claw?)
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Explosion
Fire Punch

Fearow (Sharp Beak?)
Drill Peck
Toxic
Mirror Move
Swift

Yep... x_X I wont use moves like Fire Blast and such. Other then that... help?

Poryhedron
20th December 2003, 08:21 PM
Since you seem to like attack-boosting items, you might consider giving your Electrode the Magnet item, which will boost the power of its Thunder attack. Here's a quick reference of all the attack-boosting items, in case you weren't aware of some of them:

ITEM: Black Belt
TYPE: Fighting
FOUND: Behind Lake of Rage on Wednesday

ITEM: BlackGlasses
TYPE: Dark
FOUND: In Dark Cave, from Route 45 entrance

ITEM: Charcoal
TYPE: Fire
FOUND: In Azalea Pokémart (get one free from Charcoal Man's apprentice)

ITEM: Dragon Fang
TYPE: Dragon
FOUND: In Dragon's Den

ITEM: Hard Stone
TYPE: Rock
FOUND: On Route 36 on Thursday

ITEM: Magnet
TYPE: Electric
FOUND: On Route 37 on Sunday

ITEM: Metal Coat
TYPE: Steel
FOUND: On S.S. Aqua, and in the possession of wild Magnemite (use TM46 Thief)

ITEM: Miracle Seed
TYPE: Grass
FOUND: On Route 32

ITEM: Mystic Water
TYPE: Water
FOUND: In Cherrygrove (need Surf)

ITEM: NeverMeltIce
TYPE: Ice
FOUND: In Ice Path

ITEM: Pink Bow
TYPE: Normal
FOUND: In Route 29 on Tuesday, and in Goldenrod Radio Tower

ITEM: Poison Barb
TYPE: Poison
FOUND: In Route 32 on Friday

ITEM: Sharp Beak
TYPE: Flying
FOUND: On Route 40 on Monday

ITEM: SilverPowder
TYPE: Bug
FOUND: In the possession of wild Butterfree (use TM46 Thief)

ITEM: Soft Sand
TYPE: Ground
FOUND: On Route 34 (need Surf)

ITEM: Spell Tag
TYPE: Ghost
FOUND: In Blackthorn on Saturday

ITEM: TwistedSpoon
TYPE: Psychic
FOUND: In the possession of wild Abra (use TM46 Thief)

Number1ChanseyFan
20th December 2003, 09:18 PM
Houndoom's moveset is fine, just attach Leftovers.

Feraligatr really can't do a whole lot with Ice Beam, because of low Special Attack. Unfortunately for Feraligatr, it is a Water type that has good attack stats, but poor Special Attack, here is a different moveset for it. It doesn't have Surf in it, so there are no STAB moves. This is more like a sweeper/pseudohazing moveset.

Feraligatr

Earthquake
Rock Slide
Curse
Roar
@Leftovers.

Snorlax-Snore isn't too strong of a move, you would be better off just going with a stonger move that can be used while Snorlax is awake. Something like Earthquake would be better. Also, you could consider replacing Body Slam with Double-Edge. It is your choice, Double-Edge doesn't have any chance of paralyzing, like Body Slam does, but it is a little bit more powerful then Body Slam.

Snorlax

Body Slam/Double-Edge
Earthquake
Belly Drum
Rest
@Leftovers.

Electrode

Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Explosion
Light Screen/Reflect. (Reflect would prolly work better for this team.)
@Leftovers.

Golem-Pretty good moveset, but if you want a fire type move on Golem, you will prolly have to go with Fire Blast, becuase it has a terribly low Special Attack, and even if Golem is attacking something weak to Fire, it isn't gonna do a whole lot of damage with Fire Punch or even Flamethrower. I understand that you don't like low-accuracy moves, so Fire Blast is not really an option. For this reason, go with Roar instead of Fire Punch, and attach Leftovers.

Fearow

Drill Peck
Whirlwind
Curse
Substitute/Double Team
@Leftovers.

Overall: Your team has a 3x weakness to Fighting types, (Houndoom, Snorlax, and Golem.) Ground types, (Houndoom, Electrode, Golem.) The 3x Fighting weakness is not as much of a concern as the 3x Ground weakness, because Earthquake is much more common then Fighting type move, such as Cross Chop and Hi Jump Kick. However, if you would come across a standard Machamp, your team could have some problems with it, as it would have Earthquake and Cross Chop, as well as Rock Slide. Those 3 moves would be super effective against 5 members of your team.

Also, on a side note, the items that boost certain typed attacks, such as Miracle Seed, Nevermeltice, Sharp Beak, etc... are not really the best choice to use as attachments. Most of the time, go with Leftovers. There are a few Pokémon that may be better off with Mint Berry or Miracle Berry, or something else (like Light Ball on Pikachu, and Thick Club on Marowak.)

If you need to know how to get enough Leftovers to attach them on every Pokémon in your team, then here is how to duplicate items.

Figure out which Pokémon you want to duplicate. If you want, attach an item to the Pokémon that you are going to duplicate, so you will also be duplicating the item in addition to the Pokémon.

Save your Game, then go to a computer at a PokéCenter, and access Bill's PC. Deposit the Pokémon that you want to duplicate, then switch to another box.

Now, when the screen says "saving.....do not turn off the power" turn off the Gameboy. Wait for the entire message to come up before you turn the Gameboy off.

Finally, when you turn your Gameboy back on, if you have done the trick correctly, you will now have two of the Pokémon that you wanted to duplicate, one in your lineup, and one in the PC box.

The duplicating trick only works on Gold and Silver, it basically does not work in Crystal. However, some people claim that they are able to duplicate Pokémon/items on Crystal, so it may be possible, it has been said that it takes very precise timing when doing the trick mentioned above to be able to duplicate on Crystal. Also, there is a greater chance that doing the duplication trick on Crystal could mess your game up.

Soneko
21st December 2003, 06:32 AM
Whee.

I know Feraligatr has low Special attack, but I dont see the point of a Pokemon without a STAB move. Should I replace him with a Poliwrath?

As for Snorlax, I much rather Body Slam. Paralyzing is great cause he's slow, and such a little difference in power is basically unnoticable, especially since it'll hit in recoil. I dont like putting Pokemon to sleep without having any way to wake them up/attack while they're asleep, and I dont like Sleep Talk cause it always does Rest while Im asleep. And although Snore is a relatively weak attack, after I Belly Drum it gets much stronger.

Electrode. I like Rain Dance+Thunder for its awesome power, and also he doesnt really need to paralyze cause he's got awesome speed. But I'll consider it. And Reflect is will replace Mirror Coat, thanks.

Golem, yes'm, Roar instead of Fire Punch.

As for Fearow, I like him with Toxic. And Mirror Move, really. Whirlwind/Curse instead of Swift, Im not sure which.

Poliwrath
Dynamicpunch
Hydro Pump
Mind Reader
Hypnosis

Number1ChanseyFan
21st December 2003, 09:32 AM
Ok, actually, Poliwrath has lower Special Attack then Feraligatr. If you keep Feraligatr, you can go ahead and put Surf on him if you want. Now, If you want to go with a Mind Reader Poliwrath, I'll give you a couple of suggestions...

First of all, if you plan on using Mind Reader, then you need a trapping move too. You would have to put Whirlpool in Poliwrath's moveset. Whirlpool makes the opponent unable to switch Pokémon for 2-5 turns. The trapping move is important, because if the opponent switches out after you have used Mind Reader, then Mind Reader's effect will be cancelled. Also, you could replace DynamicPunch with Fissure. Since you have Mind Reader, you may as well just go ahead and just OHKO the Pokémon instead of doing damage and confusing it!! Of course, Fissure will miss Flying types, because it is a Ground type attack. For the last move, you could go with either Body Slam, Surf/Hydro Pump for a STAB attack, or else Ice Beam to use against Flying types. So bsically, the set would look like this,

Fissure
Body Slam/Surf/Hydro Pump/Ice Beam
Whirlpool
Mind Reader
@Leftovers.

Now, for Fearow...

If you want to keep Toxic, just realize that Toxic without some kind of trapping move acts more like a pseudohazing move, because it will likely result in the opponent switching Pokémon, because once a Pokémon is switched out, then Toxic becomes just regular poisoning. Also, if you are having a hard time deciding between replacing Swift with either Whirlwind or Curse, then go with Curse.

So, I hope this helps ya a little bit!! :wave:

GoldDraconian
21st December 2003, 09:35 AM
Houndoom (Mystery Seed?)
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Crunch

Ye olde standard.

Surf
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Slash

Rock Slide/Earthquake/Curse/Surf might work if you want STAB, but the only STAB move that's really acceptable on him is Hydro Pump, which you're opposed to...

Snorlax (Leftovers)
Body Slam
Belly Drum
Rest
Snore

Quake or Fire Blast over Snore please. Snore is so weak that it's not even funny. Sleeping for two turns is not much of a problem with this much HP and his massive Special Defense. If you're concerned about sleeping, get Curse on him and make him godly. Also, Double-Edge is about 40% more powerful than Body Slam, the recoil is irrelevant, and PAR is mostly irrelevant, especially since it's not guaranteed.

Electrode (Dunno)
Thunder
Rain Dance
Explosion
Mirror Coat

You won't use Hydro Pump/Fire Blast and the like, but you will use the Thunder/Dance crap combo? Over the course of five turns (5 Thunderbolts or 1 RD and 4 Thunders), Thunderbolt works out being 5 base damage weaker. However, you've attacked each turn with Thunderbolt, which is important with something this fragile. In addition, you need to actually Thunder four times before you've outdamaged Thunderbolt- over four turns or less, Thunderbolt will do more damage. Also, Thunderbolt works fine without having to spend any time setting it up. Furthermore, Rain Dance conflicts with Houndoom's Sunny Day, which can mean that you need to spend two turns (one to fix the weather and one to attack) to finish off a weakened Pokemon that you could have otherwise simply killed. Thunderbolt over Thunder. Thunder Wave over Rain Dance will not benefit Electrode much, but it is helpful for other team members. Thunder Wave is guaranteed PAR, unlike Body Slam, and there are simply no better moves for the slot unless you want Light Screen/Reflect 'trode.

Golem (Quick Claw?)
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Explosion
Fire Punch

Roar is over Fire Punch now, correct? If so, good.

Fearow (Sharp Beak?)
Drill Peck
Toxic
Mirror Move
Swift

I don't really see the point of Toxic on him- he's better off using a normal attack. Mirror Move seems iffy because of his low durability, although I guess it can work. I'd have Drill Peck/Return/Mirror Move/Toxic if you want those two moves, though.

Soneko
21st December 2003, 12:33 PM
Feraligatr. Uhm, if not Poliwrath or Feraligatr, maybe Lapras? With the Ice Beam/Surf/Body Slam/Confuse Ray moveset.. yep.

Snorlax. Im still not sure. If anything it would be E-quake, but then I would want to attach a Mint berry. x__x;

For Fearow, I didnt know that after the other Pokemon switches then the poisoning is normal. Bah... Then he'll probably know Drill Peck/Mirror Move/Return/Curse. Yes'm?

Hokee... then Electrode will have Thunderbolt/Thunder Wave instead of Rain Dance/Thunder. x_X

Sankoo. ^^;

Number1ChanseyFan
21st December 2003, 12:52 PM
Your Lapras moveset is very good, attach Leftovers to it. The Sleep Talk/Rest combo also works good on Lapras with Surf and Ice Beam.

For Snorlax, I don't recommend attaching Mint Berry. Mint Berry has a one time use, once you use Minty Rest once, then Snorlax will be left without an attachment. Leftovers will benefit it much more IMO.

Your Fearow and Electrode movesets are also very good.

One last note, Lapras is a very good Pokémon, but being part Ice type, it gives your team a few more weaknesses... Your team would have a 3x weakness to Ground types, but Lapras isn't weak to ground, so that doesn't really apply to your adding a Lapras to your team. However, Lapras will give your team a 3x weakness to Rock types as well as a 4x weakness to Fighting types.

Green_Pikachu
25th December 2003, 06:00 PM
Houndoom (Mystery Seed?)
Flamethrower
Sunny Day
Solarbeam
Crunch

well...yeah, i guess so. houndoom never could do much. it's fun to use though. good starter. counter is fun, and so is pursuit. preferably over sunny day/solarbeam. give it scope lens maybe.

Surf
Earthquake
Ice Beam
Slash

er...yeah...sure....why not? throw leftovers on there or something. feraligatr sucks though. that lapras you suggested is fine.

Snorlax (Leftovers)
Body Slam
Belly Drum
Rest
Snore

oh god. if you want a belly drummer, go with mint berry. and go with return/frustration over body-slam, and lastly, over snore, go with shadow ball/earthquake. snore is just...meh. not a good idea.

Electrode (Dunno)
Thunder
Rain Dance
Explosion
Mirror Coat

interesting. i kinda like it. not bad. still can't touch golem/rhydon/anything that can take a thunder and has defense. never saw much of a use to electrode in the metagame.

Golem (Quick Claw?)
Earthquake
Rock Slide
Explosion
Fire Punch

Fire punch? aw man. fire BLAST. better yet, go with counter. throw scope lens on him.

Fearow (Sharp Beak?)
Drill Peck
Toxic
Mirror Move
Swift

ick. sadly this may be the best that can be done with fearow. you couldn't even have picked a cool bird like dodrio or farfetchd? :(

it's an ok team. sets need work. i never have a problem with pokemon choices, as long as there is synergy. not much special defense on this team, except for snorlax. essentially three weaknesses to electric. (houndoom has NO special defense, so any special/physical attack that isn't NVE will take off a huge chunk). only problem is, just not enough defenses to handle standard teams, and even other semi-UU teams. Team-making is a tedious act, you can't really just throw 6 pokemon together. it takes more than that. and this team doesn't have much of that stuff it needs.