PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Walkthroughs

Zak
22nd December 2003, 04:03 AM
Time for Zak to post a poll... about walkthroughs! For those who don't know... it's instructions people find online who want to cheat to get through video game RPGs.

So:

1. Do you use walkthroughs?
2. Have you ever written a walkthrough?
3. Have you ever had serious trouble finding a walkthrough online, that you just gave up?
4. What site do you go to for them, mainly?

~~

1. Sometimes. Depends how stuck I am. Sometimes I use them to guide me through the whole game, just for the sake of wanting to see it, if say, its a game like Myst. And yes, I do always pay attention to the clues, as if I don't know.... it would be rather boring to just shamelessly do what the walkthrough says without knowing why, especially in a game like that. Also, when I finish a game without a walkthrough, I might wanna find one so I can clear it 100%.
2. Nope, I could never do that... I tried doing one, and got bored in the middle of the first level :P.
3. Yes... lol, YEARS ago in 4th grade when I was playing Goosebumps: Attack of the Mutant, I couldn't find one and asked my parents help. XD they couldn't find it either, so I just figured the rest on my own, after madass hours.
4. GameFaqs :D

~Zak

Elemental Seribii
22nd December 2003, 06:24 AM
Yeah, probably too much for my own good. However, I've been doing very well without one with The Wind Waker, I find the Tingle Tuner strangely helpful.

I would probably die making one. I know the people who do must know the game inside out, and some even play it over again. I could never do that. ^-^;

3. Have you ever had serious trouble finding a walkthrough online, that you just gave up?
I just found a walkthrough to a rather obscure Gameboy game, Survival Kids by Konami. There's very little info on it, though.

GameFaqs. ^-^;

Silver Ledian
22nd December 2003, 09:53 AM

1. Yep. I just always thought of it as a little bit of help in case you get stuck but that evolves into using it to get through the whole game, in my case anyway, hehe ^^;;; I've actually only really used walkthroughs for help with pokémon games.

2. Nope, I don't really have the equipment to write and display a half decent one, and I'd get bored too.

3. I don't really go online for my walkthroughs, I buy the guides in the shop normally...but anytime that I've needed info online, I've always been able to get it =)

4. No particular one really, I've actually rarely visited GameFaq's at all.

Nice polls, Zak :)

Royal_Goddess_Tina
22nd December 2003, 10:03 AM
-No, I have never even heard of them until now... lol...

-Same as above...

-Same as above...

-I don't go to a site for them because I don't even know what they are!!!! :wave:

Nuriko
22nd December 2003, 10:10 AM

1. All the time... I'm so bad with games, I usually need one for my every move or I'll get lost or stuck. >_< (Even if I've played it before! How bad is that? xx;) Right now I'm desperetly trying to beat FF7 without one, for the first time in my life, and it's so hard.. ;-; But I'll be so proud if I do beat it without one. x_x

2. Nope...

3. No, I usually find what I want right away. ^^;

4. Game Faqs!

Cheesey
22nd December 2003, 11:16 AM
Sometimes. I don't use them to get through the whole game because that makes it no fun, but I use them when I'm really stuck and I really want to continue playing the game.

Nope. I was thinking about doing some, but it seemed to be too much work. lol

Nope, I think I've always found what I need... Luckily. Sometimes it takes me a while to figure out what something someone wrote in a FAQ means, though. O_o

GameFAQs. The biggest and the best.

titandude21
22nd December 2003, 11:34 PM
1. I read them, sometimes I find useful information, but I don't use it to beat the game

2. no... I don't meet the knowledge, time, organization, etc. requirements to write one

3. no... there are a few good ones I can rely on

4. I use TPM for Gold walkthrough and a few other sites to confirm some info that I was unsure of

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
23rd December 2003, 04:58 AM

I do when I get stuck at a particular point in the game for quite a while (a day or two). That happens hardly ever though.

A long time ago I wrote a walkthrough for Zelda 2 - The Adventure of Link on the NES. I even drew a map for it. I also made a walkthrough for Swords and Serpents on the NES with a dozen cards but never could finish the game so the the last 5 % of the walkthrough weren't done.

Only when looking for one of a really rare and old game, like 10+ years old. But normally you can find at least one good one easily.

Normally I check gamefaqs.com for walkthroughs, they are pretty good there.

Kris
23rd December 2003, 04:17 PM

1. When I used to play games I used them all the time! Id have a go, normally got stuck and then ran to the net! When I first played pokemon Red I used a walkthrough for the whole thing so I could make sure I got everything!!

2. Nope, Id be useless at it

3. I rememebr a downloaded version of pokemon diamond i had. I got stuck, walkthrough didnt exist. Never got further!

4. Used to use gamefaq

Deus Mortuorum
23rd December 2003, 08:36 PM
1. Occasionally...only on really long games like Threads of Fate and Syphon Filter.
2. Nope :P
3. No.
4. Usually codes.ign.com but sometimes they don't have what I need so I do a Yahoo search.

Aipom Of Doom
23rd December 2003, 08:42 PM
1. No... I glance at them occasionally for hints or strategies for particular things tho :o.
2. No,
3. err.. no o_O
4. Gamefaqs =d.

Fett One
23rd December 2003, 09:43 PM
1. Only when I get stuck in a game
2. No
3. No
4. GameFaqs

soggy_cardboard
23rd December 2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah

Im currently writing a Sapphire one now ^^

Nope, GameFAQs has alwayz given me at leats one 1/2 decent one.

GameFAQs XD

ILikePokemonP
23rd December 2003, 10:06 PM

If I need it.

A very basic R/B Elite Four guide...

Nope.

Have a guess. Use your brain. It will thank you for using it.

Lightning
23rd December 2003, 11:15 PM
Yeah.... lots. I'll try not to, but sometimes I'll just get stuck and I'll try for hours to get past something, but then I'll eventually give up and go online to figure it out.
I think I tried once, but it ended up more like a fanfic. XD
Almost. o_O I was trying to find a decent walkthrough for this computer game of my brother's since he has no idea how to use the internet properly. I think the game was "The Grinch" or something. XD;;
Whichever one looks the most promising when I google for the walkthrough. I think it's usually GameFAQs though. XD

mr_pikachu
9th January 2004, 02:33 PM

1. Only when I need to. Or, in the case of Final Fantasy X-2, I'll NEVER get the best ending without it. :no:
2. Nope. I don't have that kind of time, and I'm not patient enough, anyway. I've tried printing out walkthroughs before, and they're like 100+ pages... my fanfics sometimes aren't that long! :o
3. Not really. I'm pretty savvy at searching the net, when I need to be.
4. Mostly GameFAQs, though I use Final Fantasy sites for the FF games sometimes.

homeofmew
9th January 2004, 05:25 PM
1. Do you use walkthroughs? Yes :/
2. Have you ever written a walkthrough? Yes :> for pokemon red/blue/yellow/crystal/ruby/sapphire
3. Have you ever had serious trouble finding a walkthrough online, that you just gave up? I don't give up :O
4. What site do you go to for them, mainly? I find em on google,
Pojo, SPP, and My own Site :P!

cd
9th January 2004, 07:34 PM
yeah i especially enjoy rpg's as they are great for spare time and can last you month after month after month.

yeah i'm a walkthrough whore. gamefaqs gamefaqs gamefaqs.

writing a walkthrough... waste of time :)

Master Rudy
14th January 2004, 02:40 PM
I use to use them all the time on games. When I was younger I usually had a ton of trouble with even the easiest games and would use them throughout the whole thing rather than do it on my own. I haven't used one since FF9 came out in 2000 but I still ocasionally look something up if I'm stuck or unsure of how to do something.
No I haven't. There are so many player's guides in print and walkthroughs on the net. There isn't really much one can add that hasn't been said by someone else.
It's usually when a game is still new and no one has written anything for it yet. If that's the case then I just go back to figuring things out on my own.
Gamefaqs

The_Missing_Link
14th January 2004, 02:59 PM
1) I've used walkthroughs for Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker (not as much as the others though. I'm trying to do most of this on my own), Banjo Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie. I've also used hint pages for Super Smash Brothers and Super Smash Brothers Melee

2) I wouldn't even want to try to. It would take too long and it would be quite boring

3) heh, no. All of them have been pretty easy to find since they're common and popular games

4) Zeldauniverse for the Zelda games and IGN for SSB/SSBM. My sister found the walkthroughs for the other games

Pichu
9th February 2004, 04:03 PM
1. always. =P

2. Yes, I tried. I'm like: okay, turns on word pad. I'm going to write a walkthru... ummmm...mmmm..mmm... *several hours pass* ... still blank. xD

3. nope.

4. GameFaqs. IGN, etc.

shazza
10th February 2004, 04:00 AM
-Nope, very rarely. I used to when I was younger, but the games just seem easier these days.

-Nope.

-Hmmm, no.

-GameFAQs

RedStarWarrior
10th February 2004, 07:49 AM
Occasionally.
Never.
Nope.
Ha...various sites.

Knight of Time
10th February 2004, 07:59 AM
1. Yeah, only when they are needed (or if I missed something I got curious or suspicious of in a game).

2. Yeah, I'm working on a walkthrough for Kirby's Dream Land 3 (though I didn't start at the beginning of the game, I started it at World 3 o_O). I also have most of the locations of the watering cans in the dull SNES game Alfred Chicken in a file.

3. No, not at all.

4. GameFAQs, of course.

kainashi
13th February 2004, 06:16 PM
1. only when i'm really stuck and there's no way out!
2. no sir!
3. refer to #2.
4. gamefaqs.

Yoh Asakura
13th February 2004, 06:32 PM

A1) No, I don't suck at games unlike most people. Also most games these days are patheticly easy.

A2) No, I have better things to do with my time.

A3) No, since I don't need them.

A4) I don't go to any, If I do ever need one i'll probably go to GameFAQs.

dark_tyranitar
15th February 2004, 11:20 AM
Sure I do.

No, for if I did, people would start suing me for providing misinformation.

I don't play that many video games, so i can usually find stuff on some large website.

GameFaqs for Non-Pokemon, Serebii for Pokemon.