PDA

View Full Version : Happy Christmahannukwanzadon! <poll>

EVme15
24th December 2003, 11:10 AM
I'm feeling very random, so I'm posting a poll or two! ^^ hehe...
This is not meant to be offesive or anything, so if I insult anyone on accident I'm really sorry!

1. What religion are you? (You don't have to be specific, just a general name is fine)
2. Does it have a holiday in December? If yes, what?
3. a) If you said yes, how do you celebrate it typically?
~ b) If you said no, are you jealous of other people having a holiday?
4. Why does it seem like so many religions have a holiday in December? --;

1. Christian
2. Christmas! *Jingle bells, jingle bells...*
3. a. It varies yearly, but it always is my entire family getting together. And yes, presents! (This year I'm living with two Jewish people, so I got presents for Hannukah also ^^)
4. I have absolutely no idea... Why do ya think I'm asking? XD

Soneko
24th December 2003, 11:17 AM
1. What religion are you? (You don't have to be specific, just a general name is fine)

-*-*-

1. Jewish by birth, somewhat of a nothing by beleif.
2. Uh, yeah, hannukkah or however you wanna spell it.
3. Uhm... well, there's no school for a week, and other then that I just get a present and light the candle things each night.
4. Because religions copy off of eachother. o_o

Jay
24th December 2003, 11:26 AM

1. I don't follow any.

2. Non-religious people celebrate Christmas o_O

3. Next time you could just make this poll fuse to one rather than making a) and b). Christmas is celebrated normally.

4. Er, Sam states that we are copy-catters, isn't that because it's a multi-cultural society? We can do what we want? To answer this properly, the evolution of a variety of holidays in December derives from our common experience of the shortest days and longest nights of the year. This is why the winter holidays of western origin all center around the celebrations of light ---maintaining, celebrating, and affirming light in the midst of darkness.

Edit: Hey the times are screwed. I was supposed to post after Lightning xP

Silver Ledian
24th December 2003, 11:45 AM
I'm Catholic, Roman Catholic to be precise.

Yes, Christmas!

Traditionally really. Wake up early, open presents, mess about for a while, get ready, go to Mass, return home for Christmas dinner, visit relatives, return home and mess about with gifts I received. :)

Because important evens happened in that month? ^^;;;

Royal_Goddess_Tina
24th December 2003, 11:52 AM
-Ummm... United...

-Yes,
Christmas...
-With a tree, gifts, and supper...

- I didn't so no :P

-I didn't notice that so many religions have a holiday in December :p

Crystal Mew
24th December 2003, 11:53 AM
1. I'm a Christian

2. Christmas of course =o

3. Open presents in the morning....have a big family dinner later on =o its the same every year

4. they are copy-catters? :B I dunno, lol

Zak
24th December 2003, 11:54 AM
Hi Kayla *wave* having fun in Florida? ^_^

1. I was born in a Jewish family, and I celebrate Hannukah... but like Lightning, I'm not sure what I believe in... I'm somewhere between atheist and agnostic.

2. Hannukah.

3. Give presents, get presents, have dreidel competitions (sometimes with money, usually with candy), light candles, sing songs, and have parties :D

4. Um... because that's how it is? XD Hannukah isn't the central Judaism Holiday like Xmas and Easter are. It just seems to be focused on most since it's in the winter around Christmas... sometimes it falls on November --;.

EDIT: WTF my post appeared all the way before Cheesey's? I posted after Lightning... o_O

~Zak

Cheesey
24th December 2003, 12:17 PM
I'm atheist... o.o

Of course I do... Even though I'm an atheist I still celebrate Christmas, as everyone does around here. O_o I just don't pay any attention to the christian stories about Christmas...

Have the Christmas tree, put prezzies under it, open them on Christmas Day... Have 'Santa' *cough* give you presents, eat food, be with family... Yeah, it's fun. =)

:o

Because December is funkay. o_o

Deus Mortuorum
24th December 2003, 12:56 PM
1. Atheist
2. No. XP
3. Why would I be jealous, I get off from school and I get presents anyway. Minus the forced lifestyle (y)
4. As Tupac said it..."That's just the way it is..."

Moonlight Espeon
24th December 2003, 01:07 PM
1. I'm Catholic :o
2. Yes, of course. Christmas. I've been talking about it all week xD
3. a) Put up a tree, decorate, open presents, get together with family, have supper. :o
4. Because December is... near the end of the year? How should I know?

Lightning
24th December 2003, 01:18 PM
I was born into a Roman Catholic family, but I don't really believe in it. I'm more of an atheist who is dragged to someone else's place of worship once a week. And I have to go to church tonight. ;_;
Yeah, we've got Christmas.
Meh... we exchange gifts and go to mass on Christmas Eve.
I said yes, but I'm jealous of people who have no religion but they get to celebrate holidays anyway. o.o;
@_@ I don't know. I don't have to take world religion until grade 11. XD (Yeah... I got to a Catholic school, so religion is mandatory every year. x_x)

en0miz
24th December 2003, 04:40 PM
I'm Christian. (:

I celebrate Christmas and I used to celebrate Kwanzaa when I was younger, lol.

For Christmas, I do the whole regular Christmasy thing... wake up early, open gifts, hang out with family, call friends, etc.

For Kwanzaa, I remember my family used to have some beat up kinara, which is kind of like the menorah Jewish people use for Hanukah. xD In case you didn't know, Kwanzaa is 7 days long, and each day stands for a certian phrase - such as the first day, umoja, which means 'unity'. It's really just a holiday created for African Americans to learn more about our culture. o_o As me and my siblings grew older, we went from doing the whole Kwanzaa thing with the kinara, to just going to a Kwanzaa special at the local library, to not doing anything at all. xD Oh well.

*shrug* I suppose major events happened during this time, and in today's day and age we just celebrate them all in the same month. I have no idea.

EDIT: For Christmas, I also go caroling and do lots of church acitivities. No offense to anyone here, but I really don't get how you can celebrate Christmas if you don't even believe in the religion it's based on. o_o

Lady Vulpix
24th December 2003, 11:51 PM
1. Jewish by heritage, but I have my own thoughts concerning religion and spirituality.
2. Hanukkah.
3. My family doesn't do much, but I light the candles and just feel happy about it. It would be nice to get presents like my mom used to, but I can do without them.
4. Many important things seemed to have happened on that month.

And yes, the times are screwed.

Oh! Happy Kazaa to the ummmmers out there!

Angel Blossom
25th December 2003, 07:02 AM
1) I'm Catholic. Although I'm not extremely religious, I do believe in God. Don't worry, I'm not freaky on that subject. =) Sometimes I do wonder whether or not the contents of the Bible are true or not. oO Anyway..

2) LOL, duh, we celebrate Christmas. ^.^"

3) My family and I gather and have a party on the 24th, then we open our presents at 12:00 AM, or earlier, if the little kids want. Then on the actual Christmas day we can either stay home or go visit more relatives..

4) Probably so just about everyone can have a holiday towards the end of the year. Maybe it's because people make more money this way (presents & all)..? I don't know, just some crazy ideas of mine.

Nuriko
25th December 2003, 09:20 AM

1. I'm christain by birth, and was raised in a caltholic school... but my beliefs are completely different.

2. Christmas, of course. O_o

3. We have a big dinner Christmas eve, then everybody gives each other presents the next morning, then another big dinner using the leftovers from the last dinner. Uh.. yeah. ^^; I like it though, it's the only time my family's all together, and actually nice to each other.

4. Um.. because their are? ^^;

titandude21
25th December 2003, 11:38 AM

1. none, not even atheist if that's possible

2. i get presents for christmas... don't really celebrated any holiday

3a) as long as i get stuff i'm fine with it

4. everyone wants to slack off and do nothing at this time of year

mr_pikachu
9th January 2004, 01:10 PM

1. Non-homeworkism. Seriously? Christian.
2. Duh!
3. We go to relatives' houses and open presents on Christmas morning...
4. Because they do. XD