PDA

View Full Version : RMT (1st time)

Runpapa
1st January 2004, 11:21 AM
I rarely post RMT threads, yet I've been hovering for over a year now on and off.
Im trying out original movesets for Pokemon. So when suggesting changes, please be creative.
And PLEASE, do not give these types of opinions: "And if your Houndoom encounters a Rhydon, you'll be screwed." If so, I thank you in advance for stating the obvious, but Im sure my common sense will initiate my switching out.

Shiver -Glalie-
"Modest +SA,-At" InnerFocus, ChoiceBand
Protect, Torment, Spikes, IceBeam
Team Spiker. Pretty durable Pokemon, too. Torment and Protect for a lasting fight. CBand for IceBeam, apparently.

Turf -Marowak-
"Careful +SD,-SA" RockHead, ThickClub
SwordsDance, Screech, DoubleEdge, Earthquake
A mild Tank with ThickClub. Im thinking I wouldn't need 2 Atk modifiers. But I don't want another attack either. Protect maybe? Or PerishSong to force switching?

Hemlock -Cradily-
"Brave +At,-Sp" SuctionCups, Leftovers
Rest, ConfuseRay, MirrorCoat, RockSlide
Tank. Although Im not to sure bout ConfuseRay. Maybe Barrier? Im definitely pitting him against Special Pokemon for MirrorCoat's usage. Rest over Recover becuz Cradily can survive the attempt, plus tanks attract Toxic/WOW users.

Dunce -Slowbro-
"Calm +SD,-At" OwnTempo, Leftovers
Rest, SleepTalk, Surf, Psychic
Tank. Why ppl won't use the RestTalk combo is beyond me.

Hornet -Crobat-
"Careful +SD,-SA" InnerFocus, Leftovers
Haze, Torment, Fly, Toxic
Decidedly needed an original set. Haze to discourage stat-modifiers while Torment botches their offensive drive. Toxic and Fly will whittle them down to nothingness unless they switch to get Spiked. I'll rarely get hit with this guy.

Barghest -Houndoom-
"Bold +Df,-At" EarlyBird, Leftovers
Rest, SunnyDay, Flamethrower, Solarbeam
EarlyBird+Rest for the quick full recovery. Without WOW, I must stay clear of Physical Pokemon. That is, unless a Grd or Rck Pokemon switches in while SunnyDay's in play.

GoldDraconian
1st January 2004, 12:12 PM
Shiver -Glalie-
"Modest +SA,-At" InnerFocus, ChoiceBand
Protect, Torment, Spikes, IceBeam
Team Spiker. Pretty durable Pokemon, too. Torment and Protect for a lasting fight. CBand for IceBeam, apparently.

Choice Band forces you to use only the first move you use when you switch in, and boosts your physical attack by 1.5x. That's not going to help Ice Beam, and it doesn't exactly work well with any of your other moves, either. Replace it with Leftovers.

Oh, and I wouldn't count on Glalie sticking around for a lasting fight.

Turf -Marowak-
"Careful +SD,-SA" RockHead, ThickClub
SwordsDance, Screech, DoubleEdge, Earthquake
A mild Tank with ThickClub. Im thinking I wouldn't need 2 Atk modifiers. But I don't want another attack either. Protect maybe? Or PerishSong to force switching?

Swords Dance + Screech is just a waste- Marowak is going to be doing plenty of damage if it can Dance. Rock Slide or Ancientpower in that slot will be much more beneficial. Adamant is a more useful personality- Marowak's not going to be taking any Special hits very well any time soon even with Careful, while Adamant will provide a significant power increase.

Hemlock -Cradily-
"Brave +At,-Sp" SuctionCups, Leftovers
Rest, ConfuseRay, MirrorCoat, RockSlide
Tank. Although Im not to sure bout ConfuseRay. Maybe Barrier? Im definitely pitting him against Special Pokemon for MirrorCoat's usage. Rest over Recover becuz Cradily can survive the attempt, plus tanks attract Toxic/WOW users.

If you're tanking, you should consider Bold/Impish or Calm/Careful as a personalit and ditch Rock Slide for Toxic. Barrier over Confuse Ray sounds good. Even if you keep Slide, Adamant is a better personality, because you don't use your Special Attack at all with this moveset, while the Speed might sometimes be relevant.

Dunce -Slowbro-
"Calm +SD,-At" OwnTempo, Leftovers
Rest, SleepTalk, Surf, Psychic
Tank. Why ppl won't use the RestTalk combo is beyond me.

When you're asleep, if Sleep Talk hits Rest, Rest fails in RS. A 66% chance of getting a useful move with Sleep Talk is less than optimal, and most things can't tank with EVs interfering. I'd get Amnesia or Ice Beam over Sleep Talk. If you use Amnesia, consider making him Bold for more tankishness.

Hornet -Crobat-
"Careful +SD,-SA" InnerFocus, Leftovers
Haze, Torment, Fly, Toxic
Decidedly needed an original set. Haze to discourage stat-modifiers while Torment botches their offensive drive. Toxic and Fly will whittle them down to nothingness unless they switch to get Spiked. I'll rarely get hit with this guy.

This moveset would be better if RS wasn't full of blitzkrieg offenses that will ruin it easily. Crobat is far too weak defensively to pull this off. The usual Crobat (no, it's not original, but it works) is Sludge Bomb/Aerial Ace or Wing Attack or HP Flying/Shadow Ball/Return or HP Ground with Choice Band attached. That's really all it can do- it wasn't really durable enough for this kind of thing in GSC, and it certainly isn't durable enough now.

Barghest -Houndoom-
"Bold +Df,-At" EarlyBird, Leftovers
Rest, SunnyDay, Flamethrower, Solarbeam
EarlyBird+Rest for the quick full recovery. Without WOW, I must stay clear of Physical Pokemon. That is, unless a Grd or Rck Pokemon switches in while SunnyDay's in play.

Bold is a waste- Modest is the way to go, or maybe Timid. It can't survive physical hits no matter what, so it's best to try to kill the attacker before he can touch you. He can't really afford to spend time Resting, even for one turn, since that's often all it takes to kill Houndoom due to fragility. Crunch over it.

Overall, the team looks okay, but you seem to be unfamiliar with the RS metagame, which is basically to smash things with huge offenses. Most of your personalities boosted defensive stats, which might work except that the boosts won't be large enough to matter when faced with Choice Banded attacks and offensive stats through the roof while you're forced to boost your own offenses in order to attack effectively.

I apologize for the lack of creativity in some of my suggestions, but a lot of these Pokemon can't really afford to be creative.

Runpapa
1st January 2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by GoldDraconian
I apologize for the lack of creativity in some of my suggestions, but a lot of these Pokemon can't really afford to be creative.

No, no. This is *exactly* the type of response I hoped for. You've been very much of help. Honestly, Im still learning of R/S, and I never realized how empty my choices of personalities were. That and other things, certainly.

Gracias!

GoldDraconian
2nd January 2004, 01:17 PM
Well, I wouldn't say your personality choices are empty, because I can see what you were thinking... they just don't work. Boosting a low stat by 10% just isn't especially significant a lot of the time.

By the way, I forgot to mention Calm Mind as a possibility on Slowbro. Brain freeze, sorry.