PDA

View Full Version : Banned Episodes: What They Should Have Done

Pacific Pikachu
8th January 2003, 08:50 PM
Yes, I know that this is an old, decrepit topic that should be dead, but this is what I think 4Kids should have done with the banned episodes instead of cutting them out completely.

They should have dubbed them and released them on video (not on T.V. at all, straight to video), and put a sticker or something on the video cover that the contents were slightly more mature than your average pokémon episode. That way, kids (providing they were old enough) wouldn't be so confused about where Ash's Tauros came from, and all of us fans could have these great episodes without giving parents of young pokémon fans heart attacks and Pokémon bad press. They could choose to not include the Porygon ep (for obvious reasons) or they could simply cut out the problematic part.

It's probably too late for this now, but I have something squeaking the word "Petition!" repetitively in my head, so I figured I should at least bring it up. So, what do you think of the idea? A petition would probably be futile and a waste of our time, with the fact that these episodes are ancient history, but I'd like to see everyone's reactions before killing the idea completely.

absolutotodile
8th January 2003, 10:42 PM
I had that idea too! I never asked anyone what they thought if it though. I think it is a great idea. I really want to see the banned episodes.

I saw a something on a website once...DVGN I believe (but I'm not entirely sure) and it showed a still picture of the flashing scene from Electric Soldier Porygon and then next to it was the same picture but with the flashy background editted out and the guy had gone into paint shop pro or something and made it look like a regular explosion...If that guy can do it in PSP then they can do it with real artists.

Invader Pichu
8th January 2003, 11:03 PM
I wanna see the Japanese eppisodes. They're more...'mature' and not real kiddish. But that'll have to wait 'til I learn to speack Japanese o.o

You idea, dude, sounds rather nice.

Petitions, as far as I've seen for shows, never work. But it's worth a shot. :)

absolutotodile
9th January 2003, 01:42 AM
Well I can see to different outcomes:

1) They (4Kids dubs the show don't they?) will just completely ignore us even if we bombared them with emails.
-OR-
2) They will see that there is a good amount of people who would purchase such a product so they jump at the chance of making another huge pile of money (I bet you there's so much that they probably sleep on it!).

pokefreak04
9th January 2003, 03:21 PM
The only "problem" that I know about in the Electric Soldier Porygon episode is the red-blue flashes for those that get seizures looking at them. They could just cut that part out and make it look like an explosion. And in the Legend of Dratini episode, the only problem is......you guessed it.......a gun at the beginning. Just erase the gun so it looks like the guy is pointing at them. I'm saying all this because there are people like me that can't always afford the tapes. If nothing else, air them on Cartoon Network on Adult Swim. BTW, did CN air the episode with the swimsuit contest? I heard that it should have stayed banned, but I want to see that for myself. I like your idea, but they should just start airing the uncut versions on The WB Sunday, or something.

Pacific Pikachu
9th January 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by pokefreak04
And in the Legend of Dratini episode, the only problem is......you guessed it.......a gun at the beginning. Just erase the gun so it looks like the guy is pointing at them.

Actually, there's more in that episode than just one gun. I have the episode in Japanese... Jessie and James also have guns, and the Safari Warden takes out his gun several times.

As for Electric Soldier Porygon, I completely agree that it would be easy to edit.

Pokefreak04, KidsWB aired the swimsuit ep, but all the material with James and his bikini was completely cut.

pokefreak04
9th January 2003, 07:58 PM
Ah, I see, I didn't know about J&J having guns, and I just thought that the warden took his gun out once, against Ash and co.
I know that Kids WB aired the swimsuit episode, the question was did Cartoon Network air it. Anyway, do you think it should have stayed banned? My friend told me that it should have, but that's his opinion.

Pacific Pikachu
9th January 2003, 10:38 PM
I'm not sure if Cartoon Network aired the episode... I'm personally glad that KidsWB aired the episode at all, so no, I don't think it should have stayed banned.

Mikachu Yukitatsu
10th January 2003, 01:03 AM
To be excact, Kaizer i.e. "the Warden" was even shooting towards Team Rocket when he first saw them because they ignored his orders. Jessie, James and Meowth dodged the bullets while doing their motto. A funny scene, actually.

Pacific Pikachu
10th January 2003, 09:08 AM
Yeah, that was a funny scene! James jumping off the arch with Jessie and Meowth in tow, and the parachute doesn't have time to come out, so they land face-first in the dirt. :D

It was also quite funny watching TR trying to 'torture' Kaizer into telling them where Miniryuu was...with Nyaasu's song and onion soup! :P

mr_pikachu
11th January 2003, 11:33 AM
Okay, I must be way out of the loop, but since when has the swimsuit episode been banned? I know we haven't seen that episode in awhile, but I thought that was because we hadn't seen any of the earlier episodes for a long time on WB either... and can anyone remind me of the name of that episode?

GoldenDragonite
11th January 2003, 12:34 PM
you know what REALLY gets to me about the Dratini episode?
How many American cartoons have you seen with Guns in them? I have seen about a ton, Talespin is the one that comes to mind right now (I think that is what it is called.. where Baloo pilots the airplane?) The bad guys are constantly using guns, and nobody seemed to complain about that.

They didn't edit dragonball either, even though that is a total different dubbing company, I have heard not one complaint about the gun usage in that show.

pokefreak04
11th January 2003, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by GoldenDragonite
They didn't edit dragonball either, even though that is a total different dubbing company, I have heard not one complaint about the gun usage in that show.

You are correct, in fact, Commander Red is killed by the black guy. Black shot Red in the head <rhyme, Red, head! lmao:P >
He then becomes Commander Black, but the important thing is that Red got killed by a gun.

Snakes N' Legends
15th January 2003, 09:46 PM
You are correct about the gun usage in Dragonball. In DBZ (all anti-DBZ haters keep on holding your tomatoes.) on episode The Evil of Men, some people (can't remember who) shot Buu's dog and then they tried to blow up Buu, Hercule and Buu's house.

pokefreak04
16th January 2003, 06:50 PM
Correct again! After Buu rebuilt his house and Hercule tore his "victory" picture up, those guys came back and shot Hercule, although they didn't show it. BTW, the guys that shot Bee <the dog, Buu named him obviously!> and Hercule, their names are Smitty and Van Zhant <is that how you spell it? oh well, looks right to me> And they showed the bazookas that they used to blow up the house.

Anyway, I'll shut up about DBZ and go back to the topic, about the banned episodes of Pokemon. I am glad that the poacher in Goodbye to Stirring Up Trouble didn't actually shoot his gun, so that means that they probably won't ban it! <cheers YAYYYY!:D > But I can understand it if they banned Legend of Dratini since the Warden shot his gun. BTW, did J&J shoot any guns?

Snakes N' Legends
16th January 2003, 07:20 PM
According to APCC (Serebii's down and I really don't trust Pojo), they have guns in Legend of the Dratini but they never use them. Though Team Rocket had guns or weapons in the past. In Beauty and the Beach, Team Rocket fires a heat seeking missile at the crowd and Ash. In Here comes the Squirtle Squad, Jessie and James enter a pokemart. James is holding a bazooka and Jessie is holding a machine gun. I could mention a lot of weapons from Tanks to Bazookas but these weapons are only fired on pokemon (with the exception of James' bazooka but only sleep dust or pedals or powder came out of it.)

As for the Electric Soldier Porygon, it would easy to turn the flashing lights into basic Hollywood animated explosions. I wonder ... if they were to change Electric Soldier Porygon (this is a if question) and bring it over here, what would they call it?

Metarubeceramon
16th January 2003, 08:03 PM
Hum, looks like I'm not the only one who so firmly believes the theory that a dangerous and, worst of all, brainless entity has taken over 4kids so we don't ever get so see whatever we need to see as good Pokefans. Yuupee, it's worth the strruggle. As for the lost chapters, the only one that draws my attention powerfully is the Beauty and the Beach one, for Misty get to be in her swimsuit all the episode ;)

And THAT alone's worth any price to pay to see it...

pokefreak04
17th January 2003, 03:41 PM
As for the lost chapters, the only one that draws my attention powerfully is the Beauty and the Beach one, for Misty get to be in her swimsuit all the episode

I agree, her and Jessie both!:yes: :D :P

Pacific Pikachu
18th January 2003, 12:49 AM
BTW, did J&J shoot any guns?

They didn't shoot their guns, although they had them and were waving them about.

RikkusRukkus
18th January 2003, 03:05 PM
What is they turn the bullets into bubblegum and have the warden say while shooting something like: 'you'll never get this out of your hair!' Could work..

Lopoke
13th February 2003, 07:15 PM
I completely agree with you!!!!

Even if it is an old topic, it's such a SHAME to have an anime about 300 episodes long (so far) with TWO banned!!!

One of them (the Porygon one) would be sooo easyyy to edit!!! Even US could do it at home, editing each frame with Photoshop!!! They would only have to replace a plain color (red or blue) with a texture, like an explosion!

So, only the Warden ep remains. Personally, I didn't find the Japanese version so violent, but I agree that it would not be suitable for young audience.
So, I agree with the home video release (you can find every kind of crap in a videoshop, and I'm sure that a bit violent episode of pokémon could fit too).

Hanada Tattsu
13th February 2003, 07:59 PM
These two will never get dubbed. Why, you ask?

Even though I really want these to be dubbed since they both are good episodes, funny and also the introduction of Porygon in the anime, they will never be dubbed. First of all, look at the state of the anime. Jouto has ended, more than a 100 new Pokemon have been created, and Advance started. Why would 4Kids have to dub a 4 year old episode, even if it was great?

That's all I have to say.

Lopoke
14th February 2003, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
These two will never get dubbed. Why, you ask?

No one is "asking": we're only discussing.

Bug Catcher Daniel
14th February 2003, 01:56 PM
haha this sucks, here in Peru we could watch Ranma 1/2 at 5:00 pm! that was cool, yup ranma, until i got bored of all the anime nudity:P hey what about James' victreebel? when did he got it?

Lopoke
15th February 2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by Bug Catcher Daniel
hey what about James' victreebel? when did he got it?

James once had a Weepinbell (never seen in the anime) and had left it in the breeding center run by Butch and Cassidy. When he got it back in episode "The breeding center secret", it had evolved.

However, is this on topic?

Darth J.
23rd February 2003, 08:59 AM
I also would like to see the banned episodes.
They seem to be very nice and they explain some things about Ash and his Pokémon ...

Kingdom Heartless
26th February 2003, 11:19 PM
And in the Legend of Dratini episode, the only problem is......you guessed it.......a gun at the beginning.

Wasn't there a gun in the episode where they first met Todd the photographer?

Mikachu Yukitatsu
27th February 2003, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by Kingdom Heartless
Wasn't there a gun in the episode where they first met Todd the photographer?

Hmmm, not that I remember. In the beginning Ash just mistook the camera for a gun:D

Darth J.
27th February 2003, 11:19 AM
And in the Legend of Dratini episode, the only problem is......you guessed it.......a gun at the beginning.

Yeah, that is so lame ...
I mean, watch television or go to the movies ...
You will have 85 % chanse of seeing a gun ...

Hanada Tattsu
27th February 2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Lopoke
No one is "asking": we're only discussing.

Um, I think I figured that we were discussing because this is a message board. It is a common expression used everyday by millions of Americans, so I don't know why you're getting all angry just because I said "why you ask".

Anyway, no, Ash just thought that Todd's camera was a gun.

Scythemantis
27th February 2003, 09:49 PM
You mentioned petitions....

wouldn't work. Noone actually reads petitions. ESSPECIALLY internet petitions. When a company receives one, it's thrown out with the junk mail. Noone reads it at all...they are considered worthless because anyone at all can sign thousands of times with fake names. :(

I'd want to see the beach one because of JAMES. His inflatable suit thing looks and sounds absolutely hilarious.

...It kinda creeps me out when people think misty is hot...

Lopoke
28th February 2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Hanada Tattsu
Um, I think I figured that we were discussing because this is a message board. It is a common expression used everyday by millions of Americans, so I don't know why you're getting all angry just because I said "why you ask".

Anyway, no, Ash just thought that Todd's camera was a gun.

First of all, I'm not angry. Second, I'm not American and I know English as a foreign language, and that's probably the source of our misunderstanding.
Anyway, let's go back on topic.

Hanada Tattsu
28th February 2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Lopoke
First of all, I'm not angry. Second, I'm not American and I know English as a foreign language, and that's probably the source of our misunderstanding.
Anyway, let's go back on topic.

I'm sorry if I sounded rude, I'm not really that mean, it's just that school was really tough for me yesterday, and I'm sorry if I took it out on you. Sorry, I feel really bad... :(

Anyway, just to get back on topic, I'm sure that 4Kids has the remaining banned episodes (well, the Legend of Dratini, at least) dubbed and ready to go, but I think they're scared to dub it.