PDA

View Full Version : What Level is Pikachu At?

Water Pokemon Master
3rd January 2004, 04:51 AM
We all know how Ash's PikaPi can be strong at times, and how he can easily lose to a Vigoroth. So, what could his level be? I think it could be from levels 60-70 because of how stron he is at times, but I think at other times he can be rather weak. So, what do you guys think?

Craig
3rd January 2004, 05:26 PM
I would say level 60-70 aswell, I mean he is pretty strong but still loses(bah) I don't think pokemon in the anime even have levels, really. Sure they mentioned them in 1 episode,but never again after that.

Mikey
3rd January 2004, 09:07 PM
I lost faith in Pokemon having levels in the anime many years ago my friend.

Entropy
3rd January 2004, 09:25 PM
But the concept of levels in the anime have been mentioned in the anime, specifically when Ash and Co. went to Pokemon Tech in the early Kanto season. Though I suspect the fact that the producers have been faithful to that concept...

dark_tyranitar
4th January 2004, 04:30 AM
I get the feeling that Pikachu is on Level 60 or so, but has serious problems with its Physical Defense, obviously showing how it could lose to a Vigoroth.

Gravy
4th January 2004, 10:45 AM
I too have lost faith in the concept of levels. They may mention levels at times, but I seriously doubt that the writers actually take levels and level's raising all too seriously. For instance, it wouldn't make sense that a level 50 + Pikachu would struggle against a wild Taillow, which would most likely be around level 10 or so. I think that pokémon's levels are rarely taken into account, and the battles depend on overall skill and tactics instead.
Bit, I'd say Pika would be around level 60-70 if the animé followed the technicallities of levels.

Animelee
4th January 2004, 01:04 PM
Since he knows Thunder, I'd say he's at least above level 44.

Bacl
4th January 2004, 01:25 PM
Pikachu is certainly at a high enough level where it has learned all the moves a Pikachu can know (except for TM moves, of course). Which means that Ash and Pikachu's original reason for holding off on evolving is no longer relevent (the WAAAY old reasoning that evolving Pikachu right away would keep it from learning everything that it can learn, as demonstrated when Pikachu used a move that Lt. Surges Raichu had not learned). But they are never going to evolve Pikachu for reasons that exist outside the realm of the anime. Still, I wish they throw in an anime reason. I vote for level 100 because I think Pikachu has hit maximum training. Ash is really out of things to do if he's resorting to teaching Pikachu TM moves.

Jash Thor
4th January 2004, 07:00 PM
Well I always had an interesting thought.

For AG, we all know that Pikachu got sick. This could have greatly affected his levels, and they would dropped significantly. Because of the whole starting over thing, it fits in and shows that all of his Pokemon aren't high levels any more.

So who knows where he is at now.

AKA Pokemon Fan
4th January 2004, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by Bacl
Pikachu is certainly at a high enough level where it has learned all the moves a Pikachu can know (except for TM moves, of course). Which means that Ash and Pikachu's original reason for holding off on evolving is no longer relevent (the WAAAY old reasoning that evolving Pikachu right away would keep it from learning everything that it can learn, as demonstrated when Pikachu used a move that Lt. Surges Raichu had not learned). But they are never going to evolve Pikachu for reasons that exist outside the realm of the anime. Still, I wish they throw in an anime reason. I vote for level 100 because I think Pikachu has hit maximum training. Ash is really out of things to do if he's resorting to teaching Pikachu TM moves.
There's tons more Ash can do with Pikachu. After all, TMs don't exist in the anime, they are just more difficult moves a Pokemon can learn. Pikachu could be improved in many ways, Double Team, Light Screen, Shock Wave, Charge, Rain Dance, Reversal, Ash is certainly not out of things to do with it.

And Pikachu's reason for not evolving was NOT so it could learn more moves, that was the reason it was able to beat Surge's Raichu. The reason it didn't want to evolve, as explained there and in a much more recent episode, was because it likes itself the way it is and it doesn't want to change. Many Pokemon feel this way and a good trainer will respect their feelings.

In the anime there is not a limit to how far a Pokemon can grow, as they will always have weaknesses and experience new ways of battling. Pikachu is at a high experience level, but beyond that I don't think anyone should be able to say with any certainty how high-leveled it is.

And I don't think we should judge Pikachu's abilities based on its battle against Norman's Vigoroth for the following reasons:
1. Pikachu had recently nearly died and was not likely back to full battling readiness.
2. Pikachu had never battled a Vigoroth before and was seriously psyched out. It had no idea what to expect, let alone any idea how strong and fast Vigoroth would turn out to be, and thus was battling rather handicapped.
3. Pikachu DID NOT lose easily. It was hit several times, even then was not badly hurt, and did a good amount of damage to Vigoroth in return with that Quick Attack. Judging by how upset Norman was by how much damage it did it is conceiable that Pikachu would have won if it had gotten in one or two more hits. Carolyn noted herself that she was surprised Pikachu was able to stand up to Vigoroth at all.

As every Hoenn gym leader has had the same Pokemon in one form or another as they did in the games I think Norman will have a lineup of Slakoth, Vigoroth and Slaking. The Slakoth will be unevolved but still strong, just like Flannery's Slugma.

My prediction:

Slakoth vs. Taillow (Taillow is due for a gym win)
Vigoroth vs. Pikachu (Taillow will be return or beaten, revenge match, Pikachu will be able to match Vigoroth's wild agility this time and surprise Norman with Iron Tail to the head or chest).
Slaking (will defeat Pikachu with an openning, extremely strong attack, probably Hyper Beam or Focus Punch, will then plow through Taillow if it is still conscious,)

The final battle will be between Torkoal and Slaking (assuming he gets Torkoal) and more than likely involve Ash taking advantage of the Truant Ability. The finishing move could be Overheat, Eruption or, more likely, Heat Wave. A Body slam from a Torkoal on a Slaking wouldn't do much I think.

If Ash doesn't get Torkoal or doesn't use it, the only Pokemon Ash has with him that could possibly win are Pikachu (with a strong enough Thunder and maybe a hit to a weak spot with Iron Tail) and Corphish (if it learned Guillotine before or during the battle).

Those are my thoughts on the subject. :yes:

ShockingAlberto
5th January 2004, 08:39 AM
Treecko has also been shown as a "fighter", sort of, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him defeat Slaking.

Anyway, back on topic.

Pikachu's level would be way too hard to determine. We know, when it first started out, that it was capable of beating a rock-type, but only with a power boost. It was also capable of defeating 50-or-so Spearow with one blast (and I'm sure it got a level boost from that). The main reason he lost to Norman (besides game congruence) was because it's become so that Ash is presumed to win all gym battles now. If he loses, it adds some mystery to the situation.

-- ShockingAlberto

Water Pokemon Master
5th January 2004, 10:32 PM
Ash barely ever wins Gym Battles the first time or in the right way.

Brock - 1st time loses, 2nd time boosts Pikachu with a generator
Misty - Battle interrupted, badge given for saving the gym or something
Lt. Surge - 1st time loses, 2nd time defeats Raichu and it was Brock who gave him the suggestion.
Erika - Battle interrupted, badge given for saving Gloom
Koga - 1st time interrupted, 2nd time wins
Sabrina - Too much to talk about, but 3 times nevertheless and he only defeated her because Haunter made her laugh to death
Blaine - 1st time wins
TR (Giovanni) - He goes up against TR and not the official Gym Leader

So yeah, he always loses the 1st time or something happens. Wouldn't it seem weird if he just flast out won the first time without anything happening?

AKA Pokemon Fan
6th January 2004, 11:25 AM
Your examples aren't very good ones I'm afraid to say. For one this was Kanto, Ash was not as experienced and the gym battles since then have not been like Kanto ones.

Originally posted by Water Pokemon Master
Ash barely ever wins Gym Battles the first time or in the right way.

Misty - Battle interrupted, badge given for saving the gym or something
He got the badge for saving them and also because Daisy recognized that Misty would have had no chance of winning if he had used Pikachu in the match. Gym Leader's judge worthiness of a badge by a lot more than simply winning.

Koga - 1st time interrupted, 2nd time wins
That wasn't a second time but a continuation of the first battle, which had each trainer use two Pokemon. It's really a bit un fair if you think about it as Koga went to Golbat (which was completely rested) instead of using his Venomoth (which had already battled). Ash was forced to stick with Charmander, who had already battled and gotten caught by Team Rocket.

Light_Togetic
6th January 2004, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Water Pokemon Master
Blaine - 1st time wins

Um, I believe Ash lost his first battle with Blaine. Pikachu almost got barbequed by Magmar and Ash had to stop. He had to ask for a rematch and then Charizard won over Magmar.

Anyway, I think that Pikachu's at around 40-something. He's really powerful, yet certain large or high-level pokemon can still pack a powerful punch. And physical attacks will always have an advantage over Pikachu, because, after all, he's a tiny mouse pokemon with very low defense. But his attack power seems, and always has been, very high which is why he is able to win over so many other pokemon. But since Ash has gone through two whole leagues with his yellow fuzzy pal, he should be around 40+.

Water Pokemon Master
6th January 2004, 07:39 PM
Sorry guys. I did know that the Blaine one was wrong because I watched it again last night since it was on Cartoon Network, but I was too tired to change it. As for the Koga one, I suppose I just forgot.

Yeah, anyways, I still think he is around 60-70.

Jamesology101
13th January 2004, 08:29 AM
I'd say around Lv80, same as Red's was in GSC.

Of course, it's hard to judge Pikachu's experience level, because its electric attacks are supposed to be more powerful than the average Pikachu. But it's still had a lot of battle experience, making it a rare, high-level Pokemon.

And let's not forget that experience levels are just the game's way of showing your Pokemon growing and getting stronger as you raise them. The anime is much more realistic in that way, and battle experience can't be so easily quantified (despite early episodes attempting to do so). For example, a Lv100 Pikachu could probably OHKO a Lv20 Geodude with Tackle, but I doubt even the most experienced anime Pikachu could do that without getting a serious concussion.