PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Monopoly

Andrew
5th January 2004, 07:55 PM
http://www.areyougame.com/images/items/HB41357.jpg

So I guess here you can talk about Pokemon Monopoly, how is it better than normal monopoly, or all the other versions? Any tricks or strategies?

And do you have any lucky ways to win? Or more importantly, is it worth the money?

GreenShirT
5th January 2004, 08:03 PM
I love Monopoly and a Pokemon version sounds like alot of fun. Will the regular counters be replaced by different pokemon? If so I can imagine Suzie just playing with the Pikachu counter instead of playing the game :P

Andrew
5th January 2004, 08:15 PM
Monopoly Information This is a Hasbro/Parker Brothers Collector's Edition Pokemon Monopoly Game. It includes: 6 collectible Poke'mon movers (Bulbasaur, Charmander, Blastoise, Pikachu, Clefairy and Mewtwo) 32 plastic Poke' centers and 12 Poke marts 28 Poke'mon deed cards and 7 denominations of Poke'mon-themed play money 16 trainer battle and 16 professor oak cards, Special optional Poke' rules and full-color gameboard.

So Blastoise instead of Squirtle :( Baby jesus cries because of that.

The Poke Centers seem like Houses and Pokemarts are Hotels.

But it seems pretty darn similar, and from what I gather, with cheap rubber Pokemon play pieces. How dissapointing. When I play I always go for the Green, the Brown and the Red/Orange areas. Along with Railways of course.

Jay
6th January 2004, 10:54 AM
...and who better to post it than the monopoly king himself, Oz? :P

The houses and hotels look the same as the classic Monopoly to me... not much change at all. I rather go and buy myself the classic version rather than playing this cheap immitation.

JazzJazz
6th January 2004, 02:51 PM
They've released a newer, GSC version...

Andrew
6th January 2004, 04:09 PM
There's a GSC Version, do tell, link, info, anything?

Poryhedron
6th January 2004, 07:34 PM
I've played this. About the only Pokémonish addition to the game that goes beyond cosmetic is the new set of rules regarding rolling doubles. In standard Monopoly, when you roll doubles (two of the same number on the two dice) you get an extra turn, and this can be done in Pokémonopoly if you prefer, but they also offer "Pokémon Powers" that you can use. Each number from one to six has been assigned a pokémon power, and if you roll doubles of that number you can use the pokémon power, from Bulbasaur's Leech Seed (collect $50 from each player) to Mewtwo's Teleport (go to any square on the board, do not pass Go.)

JazzJazz
6th January 2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by OzAndrew
There's a GSC Version, do tell, link, info, anything?

Here you go...

GSC Monopoly (http://www.hasbro.com/pl/page.viewproduct/product_id.9075/dn/monopoly/default.cfm).

Drago
7th January 2004, 04:55 AM
Ahh yes, Pokemonopoly. I got this for Christmas, must've been two years ago.
Well, what can I say? It's one of many Monopolies out there, and considerably more kid-friendly in appearance, which is good. Though, like Poryhedron said, there haven't really been any changes other than the Pokemon Powers. The chance and Community Chest (Prof. Oak and Trainer Battle) cards are not incredibly original, it's basically just, 'Beat Pokenerd's Psyduck, Collect such and such', which is disappointing. I'm sure we could all think of something more creative... 'Your Pidgeotto ate an opponent's Caterpie. Pay $300 compensation' :D

For those who are unaware, the pieces are Pikachu, Bulbasaur, Charmander, Blastoise, Clefairy and Mewtwo. They're rubber, but charmingly-well recreated. Although I just like to play with the Bulbasaur, 'cause I'm just that way. ^_^
Strategies? Buy out Lt. Surge. It's common for people to hit those corners, it's cheap to maintain, but expensive to land on once the Pokemon Gyms are set up.

I've never played the GSC version, but looking at it, I prefer the RBY one. I mean, Pichu as the second-most expensive property? O_o

EDIT: Oooooookay! I just grabbed the booklet for Pokemonopoly (and broke a pair of sunglasses that remind me of Elton John. Was the sacrifice worth it?), and for all ye interested (see = two people), here's the complete list of Pokemon Powers...

Double 1s: Teleport like #150 Mewtwo and go anywhere. If you pass GO, collect $200. You may not teleport yourself to Jail.
Double 2s: Rest like #35 Clefairy and collect $200 from the Bank.
Double 3s: Use Leech Seed like #01 Bulbasaur and collect $50 from each player.
Double 4s Meet Professor Oak (draw a Professor Oak card).
Double 5s Fight in a Trainer Battle (draw a Trainer Battle card).
Double 6s Attack to control one of another player's gym lots: Each player rolls both dice. The player who rolls the higher number takes (or keeps) control of the lot. In the event of a tie, both players reroll their attack. NOTE: You may not break up a color-group (if a player owns all the lots in a gym).

Incidentally, it's obvious by the spelling of colour that this was from North America, if anyone's wondering where to find it...

Silver Ledian
11th January 2004, 12:33 PM
I got Pokémon Monopoly with some of my birthday money about 2 years ago, I think it was. Monopoly has always been one of my favourite board games and since Pokémon was one of my biggest interests back then, I bought it. It still looks brand new though, since I've only played it like 5 times - and it cost me like Ł30! I was a bit annoyed to learn the pokémon you could be...no offense to Clefairy, Mewtwo or Blastoise fans, but I'd prefer Squirtle at least. I guess they wanted some diversity though. I actually liked the 'Pokémon Battle' and 'Professor Oak' cards though... 'Surf to 'Go' and collect 200' etc.

Pretty much the same as the normal monopoly but it was more colourful but the double-rolls and being able to steal an opponents property was good. :)

CobaltDragon
1st February 2004, 07:07 PM
I brought this back in 2000, but my brother and his cousin destroyed it while i was out. :mad:

I want the GSC one! but I also want the LOTR one... what to do... :rolleyes:

Jalor
10th February 2004, 05:01 AM
I live in Ukraine, and I've got RBY version 'bout 3-4 years ago... i like it =) but i'm very creative, and now I'm working on Pokemonopoly: Ruby/Sapphire, 'cuz i like making monopolies. when i was 'bout 8, i've made a movie monopoly, where there were almost all serials i've watched.

shazza
13th February 2004, 10:28 PM
Hmmm, I haven't ever played Pokemon Monopoly, but I might check it out. I have Simpsons monopoly, that is very cool. 8)