PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto: Vice City

Venasaur89
6th January 2004, 04:09 AM
WHat is so special about Vice City, even though it only has 21 missions to do where as GTA III offers a total of 73 missions to complete??

PNT510
6th January 2004, 10:35 AM
The missions in Vice City take longer to complete. There are also the real estate missions. Vice City has better graphics, more cars, more weapons, and the city is alot bigger. That's what makes VC special compared to GTA 3.

woz
6th January 2004, 11:16 AM
there are definitely more than 21 missions in vice city.

SageofLaughter
6th January 2004, 12:01 PM
There are 21 missions that affect the storyline of the game, 24 that dont, 6 races, and 15 Asset missions, some of which (two, I believe) you have to beat to complete the game.

While there may not be as many storyline missions in Vice City, as PNT said, VC's missions tend to be longer on average and are usually more intricate than the ones in GTA3.

Bjarni Haraldur Sigfússon
6th January 2004, 12:03 PM
I really much want that game, but I can't! I don't have enough money to buy it! It's costs too much!

Heald
6th January 2004, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Venasaur89
WHat is so special about Vice City, even though it only has 21 missions to do where as GTA III offers a total of 73 missions to complete??
And I defended the intelligence of those who posted in the video games forum...

First of all, GTA3, 73 missions? Er...no. There are about 20 story missions, about 12 Italian and 8 Yakuza, with a few optional missions. Possibly 73 if you count all the minigames.

Vice City probably has 21 story missions which you have to do but to unlock the last two missions you have to do about 18 more missions of your choice (the real estate missions). As for Vice City plus all the minigames...there are probably over 100.

Vice City is twice as big as Liberty City (the GTA3 city). The layout is also much better too. The graphics and sounds are better, and there is licensed 80s music, including Iron Maiden and Michael Jackson. Fear.

GTA3 had about 40 cars and 11 weapons. Vice City has over 100 cars and 41 weapons. Also fear.

Vice City also has helicopters. Sweet. Plus the Hunter helicopter. Even sweeter.

While playing GTA3, the money you got for every mission was stupidly high. After about two missions you could have bought the rocket launcher if it had been available to you at that time. Vice City limits your cash income so that you have to make choices, specifically, will you buy more ammo or a bigger gun with little ammo?

In short, Vice City owns GTA3. Fear.

The Muffin Man
6th January 2004, 04:39 PM
Does it matter?

Both games aren't that great. The graphics are good, but it's obvious they're trying to look "tough" and "bad"...and they forgot to implement "fun". Because it's not cool to have fun.

GTA and Vice City - Overrated. Overplayed. Underachieved.

Heald
6th January 2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
GTA and Vice City - Overrated. Overplayed. Underachieved.
Gamecube fanatics - Under aged. Understood. Overcome.

DarkTemplarZ
6th January 2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by HealdPK

Agreed 100%. GTA games, not fun? WTF? GTA games are all about fun, how can being able to do whatever the hell you want, from be a nice law-abiding citizen to go on a complete rampage with military vehicles, not be fun?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!??!?!??! Seriously, you must have a pretty twisted definition of fun, playing pikmin and zelda all day, sheesh.

Anyway, motorcycles alone make VC better than GTA3. I love motorcycles, can do so much stuff with them that you can't do with anything else. The 80's music is better than anything GTA3 had, although I kinda missed Double Cleff FM...

The Muffin Man
6th January 2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by HealdPK

...I'm 18, for one. I am also matured beyond "OMG LOLZ I RUNZ HIM OVAR LOLZ".

The best part of Vice City was the few good 80s songs on the radio.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy eh?
Yeah, then please tell me what console one of the greatest RPGS(IMO) of all time, Final Fantasy 7, was on?

N64? Nope.
Gamecube? Nuh-uh.
SNES? Doubt it.

GASP! Playstation!

And what is one of the best Star Wars games? KoToR. OMG TEH ECKS BOCKS.

And finally, what about my favorite games including Devil May Cry, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, and Final Fantasy 9? Or KoToR, and Morrowind for XBox? What about the fact I'm DEFINETLY going to buy Fable without a doubt? Hmm?

Wow. What a fanboy I am. Now shut the **** up and go back to playing **** that's forced down your throat as good. I am sick of being called a "Fanboy" because I have TASTE in games.

Kokomo
6th January 2004, 09:37 PM
Heald why do you keep saying fear?

Razola
6th January 2004, 11:55 PM
TMM, you're taste in games is sub-par if you can't see the GTA games as quality works.

GTA3 and VC offer freedom, that's why it's fun. Both games have a storyline, but you don't have to complete it. You can go on a rampage in a lite-shooter game, or race about town and try to dodge the feds. There's the usual side quests as well, which can boost your stats to help with the main story missions. GTA is a sandbox, offering players to do what they want. They don't have to follow the levels if they don't want, they can toy around for hours on end.

Not that the story missions aren't bad: while I found GTA3's narrative to be lacking (I think Rockstar was attempting an RPG feel by having the main character not talk, but it just ended up with a generic guy I cared little for) Vice City is very entertaining with a stellar voice acting jobs and tons of polish. The radio stations in the car, while asbolutely not needed for gameplay, offer tons of hours of liscensed 80s music and humorous ads and fake talk shows.

The only real weak point of GTA was the graphics. Very buggy and the in-game character models were weak (though the games still look solid enough, and the X-Box versions are an improvement).

I don't think Vice City deserved all the 10s and gold stars, being merely of a super duper GTA3, but it's still a AAA title. But GTA3 did up the bar in game making.

Look at the dismal sales of BMX XXX: people did not buy GTA because you could run over people and yell "OMG LOLZ I RUNZ HIM OVAR LOLZ." The games scream excellence.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
7th January 2004, 03:42 AM
Vice City has just a bombastic soundtrack, that alone makes the game so worthwhile for me. Cruising through the streets with "Japanese Boy" playing on the radio - I would enjoy that game even with no missions at all.

Sure, if it wouldn't have the soundtrack I think there'd be little to like for me...except driving like an idiot, running over people, blowing the CIA up and trying to steal a tank and create a "world event" or at least an "international crises".

I wasn't too fond of GTA 3, it did have too little to offere compared to the previous parts as far as innovations are concerned. It was just the same old story with nifty graphics.

Look at the dismal sales of BMX XXX: people did not buy GTA because you could run over people and yell "OMG LOLZ I RUNZ HIM OVAR LOLZ." The games scream excellence.

I doubt that. If you couldn't wreck havoc in the town I don't think it would have sold half as well, in fact, I think the original GTA on the PSX wouldn't have sold well enough to even make a 2nd game. BMX XXX is just a sad game where you can see some boobies, a game that had no depth whatsoever.

GTA is different in that regard but nevertheless running over people is just the most fun about it. At least that's the way I see it.

Heald
7th January 2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
...I'm 18, for one. I am also matured beyond "OMG LOLZ I RUNZ HIM OVAR LOLZ".
Thank God.

The best part of Vice City was the few good 80s songs on the radio.
So, the reason it received many 10/10s and awards and stuff was because of its soundtrack? Great. Let me phone up Rockstar and tell them to put more Iron Maiden in the next game so it will be even better than Vice City.

I'm a Nintendo fanboy eh?
No, I never said that. Point to where I said that please.

And what is one of the best Star Wars games? KoToR. OMG TEH ECKS BOCKS.
And on the PC. Don't forget that.

Wow. What a fanboy I am. Now shut the **** up and go back to playing **** that's forced down your throat as good. I am sick of being called a "Fanboy" because I have TASTE in games.
Actually, I bought Vice City the day it came out before I read any reviews in magazines. Why? A gut feeling. GTA3 was one of the PS2's best games and the sequel promised to be better. And on this gut-feeling, I squeezed out a few months of enjoyment, plus I go on it every now and then if I feel like roaming around, see how long I can outrun the cops. No one's calling you a fanboy because you have taste in games. No one is calling you a fanboy. The reason people aren't going to support your opinion on your first post is because you barely put anything to back up your opinion. I could say 'I hate KoToR, its no fun' but without backing up my statement it is useless. Open your eyes, you might find that it is a game based on gangsters and the mafia, so it is going to be 'tough' and 'bad'. You've seen a sissy, golden-hearted gangster? Chances are it isn't a gangster. A choice of cars, motorbikes, planes, helicopters and boats, it is you versus the city, and you choose how you want to lead the fight. Assassination missions, for example, can be done in a variety of ways. Either charge in with a car and run everyone down or take to the roofs and use your sniper rifle. Will you take on the cops head-on or will you run until you have the means to either eliminate your record or, if you are feeling dangerous, eliminate them.

Originally posted by Kokomo
Heald why do you keep saying fear?
It's the latest craze to sweep the nation! Embrace! Fear.

Originally posted by Raz
Actually, I think the reason BMX XXX sold terribly was because it was made by Acclaim :D

Bjarni Haraldur Sigfússon
7th January 2004, 12:20 PM
I'm wondering can we go intro someone's house and kill the person that lifes in that house?

Adz44
7th January 2004, 01:31 PM
Like many people have already said, I like GTA: Vice City because of the freedom. GTA 3 offered this to an extent, but I find VC a lot more fun to mess about on. The weapons are varied, there's more to do on the islands and, of course, there's 80's music blaring out from the radio. Rockstar North certainly made a great game. I expect more of the same in the next GTA (although I don't see the 80's music making a return...:( )

To answer your question, Bjarni, it isn't possible to go into just any house and kill people. However, there is a bank, shopping mall, night club and two floors of an office where you can create havoc. Those buildings are full of people (my personal favourite is the Malibu night club...lol) . No houses, though.