PDA

View Full Version : Capture: Confirmed.

Zak
8th January 2004, 06:41 AM
Yes, Ash did indeed get Torkoal. Next week is Torkoal VS Manectric back in Mauville.

Discuss.

~Zak

Pewter City Geodude
8th January 2004, 07:08 AM
Allow me to be the first to say.... I knew it. :D Very cool, it's about time he caught something else.

Nikku-San
8th January 2004, 09:03 AM
Wheeeeeee! I never caught a Torkoal in the games so it will be really fun to see one in action on the show. Can't wait to see what Overheat looks like.

AKA Pokemon Fan
8th January 2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Nikku-San
Wheeeeeee! I never caught a Torkoal in the games so it will be really fun to see one in action on the show. Can't wait to see what Overheat looks like.
FYI Flannery's Torkoal used Overheat (it looks basically like a glowing Flamethrower) and a point was made about it being a dangerous attack if used more than once or twice because its power goes down so fast. I'm looking more forward to Torkoal's real signature attack, Heat Wave.

And Torkoal vs. Manectric? Wow, talk about contrast, the slow vs. the fast. :)

Anyway, I always thought that if Ash got a Fire type in Hoenn Torkoal would be the only feasible choice. It is rather small in size, yet fully evolved and powerful, not very cute but not particularly fierce as well as in direct contrast to his past Fire types, a perfect Pokemon for Ash to carry with him. Now the cirlce is complete, with the mighty and fierce Charizard, the fast, timid and agile Cyndaquil, and the slow tank Torkoal.

Here's hoping it gets Eruption someday. ;)

Animelee
8th January 2004, 01:03 PM
Woah, there goes my bladder!

Finally, his team is almost complete!:

Pikachu, Taillow, Treecko, Corphish, and now, Torkoal.

I'm thinkin' he'll get an Anorith next, since it's the only Bug-type in Hoenn that the gang hasn't come across, and he seems to always get a Bug-type in his team.

Rocketboy
8th January 2004, 01:52 PM
THAT IS SO COOL! Ash hasen't gotten a pokemon in a long time.

Gravy
8th January 2004, 01:55 PM
Damnation... and after all the times I said 'He probably won't catch Torkoal' or 'They're not going to give him a fire type'. Oh well...guess I was wrong, eh? ^_^0 *tip-toes away in a sheepish fashion*

Erm...anyways. I can honestly say I'm not really too thrilled. Not because I thought he wouldn't get it mind. Its just that I don't see how he's going to battle with something as sluggish as Torkoal is. All I can see it doing is standing on the spot launching flamethrowers and using iron defence repetetivley...so, meh, I can't really see how they're going to pull it off in battle.

Pewter City Geodude
8th January 2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Gravy
Its just that I don't see how he's going to battle with something as sluggish as Torkoal is.

You obviously haven't seen him use Snorlax in battle, then.

Craig
8th January 2004, 04:53 PM
Woah, there goes my bladder!
LOL! :)

Anyways, thats cool how Ash catches a Torkoal, I guess it was proven that Ash will always need a fire type :P.. Always.

Gravy
8th January 2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Pewter City Geodude
You obviously haven't seen him use Snorlax in battle, then.
I have, but I don't recall Snorlax charging around swiftly. The only time I can remember it actually moving quickly in battle was in the Blackthorn gym, and even then the water was basically helping Snorlax to move so quickly.
All the other battles he's been in ...I can't remember him actually moving his feet quickly, mainly his hyper beams were the fast aspect of Snorlax...although, I haven't watched the johto eps for a while, so correct me if I'm wrong ^_^0

Pewter City Geodude
8th January 2004, 05:53 PM
Which is exactly the point, thanks for helping me make it. :rolleyes: Ash is perfectly capable of handling a slower Pokemon in battle.

Animelee
8th January 2004, 06:24 PM
WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!WWOWOWOW!!!

I just watched it! OMG, it was so great!

Man, those Steel-type Pokemon were jerks! It turns out Haganail was the leader of some kind of "Steel Pokemon gang" that would pick on poor little Kortoise because he/she wasn't a Steel-type. So, along comes Satoshi and Haruka, who are determined to help Kortoise pass the valley!

Man, it was great! Finally, it was Kortoise VS Haganail! Kortoise was getting whipped, until Satoshi remembered his battle with Asuna, and how her Kortoise would use Overheat. So, he then said "KORTOISE, OVERHEAT!!", and BAM!, Haganail was gettin' owned! They even started playing "OK!" as the BGM!

So, they get across the valley, and Satoshi asks Kortoise if he wants to be his Pokemon! Kortoise, with tears in his/her eyes, accepted! Awesome, eh?!

And did you know they updated the ending? Now when Satoshi is sitting at the tree with his Pokemon, Kortoise is there, too! And, at the end of the ending, when they show the casts' Pokemon, Kortoise is right infront of Heigani, too!

Awesome, awesome, awesome!

P.S. Kortoise is super-fast! He/she's like the Road Runner!

[attachment deleted by admin]

Pewter City Geodude
8th January 2004, 06:36 PM
I just noticed something about that pic...notice the conspicuous space above Lotad? Wonder if Brock will get something else later? That's kinda OT though...can't wait to see the episode!

Animelee
8th January 2004, 06:39 PM
Yeah, man, good point! I guess this lets us know that he'll be getting a new Pokemon soon, too!

Venasaur89
9th January 2004, 06:50 AM
Great! I was expecting that even though Flannery had it. I bet Torkoal's gonna be like Snorlaw, slow but powerful. and I can see Torkoal using Heat wave and other fire attacks.

Gravy
9th January 2004, 07:46 AM
Originally posted by Pewter City Geodude
Which is exactly the point, thanks for helping me make it. :rolleyes: Ash is perfectly capable of handling a slower Pokemon in battle.
I didn't say he couldn't handle a slow pokémon, I said that I fail to see how they're going to have him use it without using the same strategy over and over...

*Murkrow
9th January 2004, 11:10 AM
Heh, I'm glad^_^
Up until recently, Torkoal was my favourite fire type, so it'll be great to see it more:)
Gonna be interesting to see it vs Manectric, hope it'll be a good battle.

AKA Pokemon Fan
9th January 2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Gravy Erm...anyways. I can honestly say I'm not really too thrilled. Not because I thought he wouldn't get it mind. Its just that I don't see how he's going to battle with something as sluggish as Torkoal is. All I can see it doing is standing on the spot launching flamethrowers and using iron defence repetetivley...so, meh, I can't really see how they're going to pull it off in battle.
As Animelee pointed out Ash's Torkoal is quite fast. From the preview I saw it had Torkoal leaping out of the way as Steelix tried to hit it with an Iron Tail.

I have, but I don't recall Snorlax charging around swiftly. The only time I can remember it actually moving quickly in battle was in the Blackthorn gym, and even then the water was basically helping Snorlax to move so quickly.
All the other battles he's been in ...I can't remember him actually moving his feet quickly, mainly his hyper beams were the fast aspect of Snorlax...although, I haven't watched the johto eps for a while, so correct me if I'm wrong ^_^0
Actually the anime has a habit of making in-game slow Pokemon incredibly fast and agile in the anime (Scizor, Magcargo, even Slowpoke at times). Ash's Snorlax in particularly has displayed incredible agility. Back in the Orange Islands it leaped and dodged circles around the Mecha Meowthinator. Remember?

Animelee, any idea what the green swirly attack I think Steelix was using (I've only seen the preview) was supposed to be?

And can you post that image of all their pokemon without the little green circle?

Animelee
9th January 2004, 01:04 PM
Kortoise/Torkoal runs as fast as a Kentauros/Tauros, not the Road Runner. Hehe, I may of exaggerated. Still pretty fast, IMHO. ^^;

Oh, and the green-swirly thing? *Checks* After using Dig, it just popped out of the ground, and there was a green swirl around it. I think it was to represent its power, or something. I just checked what moves it could learn, and it could learn Block through breeding, and, it did block our heroes from escaping the valley, so it might of been a combination of Dig and Block. I have no idea. :confused:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Kojiro
9th January 2004, 01:13 PM
Since I am obssed with Sonic Heroes right now, Torkoal is like Eggman, looks slow, but can run fast, heck Eggman outruns sonic in Sonic 2! And in the Chao garden on Sonic Adventure two.

Well anyway Torkoal is cool, I hope they give him some presonality, Treecko is the Defiant one, Taillow is the tough one,Corphish is the clumsy one, and Torkoal can be the..........well I don't know how he acts.

BTW I saw this topic late at night and though it said Cacturne Confirmed. Nyaaaa!

Light_Togetic
9th January 2004, 02:04 PM
Heh, I looked at the preview for the Wattson epi. a few minutes ago and was like "Hmm... guess he caught it"!

I'm kinda surprised, I honestly didn't think he would. Oh well, fire types are cool, and so are tortoises, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. It should prove to be a nice addition and will balance out Ash's team. ^-^ And I liked the fact that he helped it to stand up to some bullies. You go Torkoal!

Gravy
9th January 2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
As Animelee pointed out Ash's Torkoal is quite fast. From the preview I saw it had Torkoal leaping out of the way as Steelix tried to hit it with an Iron Tail.
Well, I know that now at least ^_^0 But when I think of speed and such, I usally think of a pokémon charging around to doge attacks, and running at high speed to make direct hits and such.
I'm not sure if Torkoal leaping would be considered as speed or strength. It doesn't really take speed to jump out the way, its more like using your strength to propel you...well, thats how I see it.
But, seeing as Animelee said that Torkoal was running as fast as a Tauros, then I guess it does have good speed afterall. If thats so, hopefully it means Torkoal won't be standing on the spot and constantly relying on its shell to defend itself.

Actually the anime has a habit of making in-game slow Pokemon incredibly fast and agile in the anime (Scizor, Magcargo, even Slowpoke at times). Ash's Snorlax in particularly has displayed incredible agility. Back in the Orange Islands it leaped and dodged circles around the Mecha Meowthinator. Remember?
Oh, yes I remember that well. But I was thinking more along the lines of it running around, not leaping and bounding. Of course Snorlax has ran pretty fast, but that was only due to the fact it was motivated by that delicious apple :rolleyes:

AKA Pokemon Fan
9th January 2004, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Kojiro
Well anyway Torkoal is cool, I hope they give him some presonality, Treecko is the Defiant one, Taillow is the tough one,Corphish is the clumsy one, and Torkoal can be the..........well I don't know how he acts.
Actually looking at the screenshots on Serebii it looks like Torkoal is the really emotional type. He/she cries over everything (often blowing out smoke at the same time) and likes to cuddle too. Really cute little tortoise it is and its Overheat is incredible. :yes:

Iveechan
10th January 2004, 01:36 AM
I don;'t know about you guys, but I'm really bothered by the fact that all these Steel types were portrayed so badly. I just hate it when a type of Pokemon are all bad or bullies, something which happens to my favorite type, Fighting, frequently. Yay for typism.

We all know that the tortoise is going to burninate Manectric ;)

AKA Pokemon Fan
10th January 2004, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Iveechan I don;'t know about you guys, but I'm really bothered by the fact that all these Steel types were portrayed so badly. I just hate it when a type of Pokemon are all bad or bullies,
I don't know, to me they seemed to be more a gang of elitist than bad. It's not unusual for Pokemon to value others of their own types more and to consider them more important. Charizard for one for a while would only agree to battle with other Fire types. These Steel types seemed to have decided that the valley belonged to them, that anyone else who entered were trespassing.

And when all was said and done the Steelix was impressed by Torkoal's determination and it and the others left the group in peace. :)

something which happens to my favorite type, Fighting, frequently. Yay for typism.

It does? Usually Machokes and such are portrayed as happy Pokemon, tough but happy.

Really, no Pokemon are really often portrayed as bad all the time. Team Magma uses Mightyena a lot and yet a Mightyena from an earlier episode is very friendly and befriends Max. Similarly Ash gains the lower evolution of a Pokemon the villains routinely use, Crawdaunt. And in the case of Steel types, Steelix has been a Pokemon of Jasmine's and Harrisson's two good guys.

Chris 2.1
11th January 2004, 10:44 AM
I think that attack by Steelix was Dragonsbreath. Can anybody confirm it for me/us?

I hope Torkoal's tackling Ash isnt a running gag...

Light_Togetic
11th January 2004, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Brit Chris
I hope Torkoal's tackling Ash isnt a running gag...

Perhaps it will be like a Bayleef/Corsola thing. You know, when Misty first caught Corsola, it tackled things all the time, but it stopped. And Bayleef kept knocking over Ash, but then Ash got mad at her, and it stopped. Unless they were really happy after winning a battle... ^^

JazzJazz
11th January 2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Brit Chris
I think that attack by Steelix was Dragonsbreath. Can anybody confirm it for me/us?

According to Zak's guide, the attack was indeed dragonsbreath.

Animelee
11th January 2004, 09:18 PM
It cannot learn Dragonbreath. ^^;

Zak
11th January 2004, 09:34 PM
The people on Palette said it was DragonBreath.

Can't it learn the TM? Anyways, I don't think there's any other paralyzing attack with green mist. Also, can Lotad learn Water Gun?

~Zak

Animelee
11th January 2004, 09:42 PM
They did? But there's no way Onix nor Steelix can learn it. Not through breeding or TM. :S

*Checks http://pokedex.kary.ca/rsdex.txt *

Yep, through breeding. Though in the show, it knows Water Gun and Razor Leaf, and that's impossible. Since a lot of impossible things happen in the show, then I guess that attack was Dragonbreath. ^^;

AKA Pokemon Fan
11th January 2004, 11:48 PM
ACTUALLY, Steelix CAN learn Dragonbreath but only by TM in the Gold, Silver and Crystal versions of the Pokemon games (which came before RS). :D :yes:

Yet more proof that Pokemon in the anime can learn any attack they can in any versions of the games, regardless of which game version their world is supposed to be in right now.8) :yes:

Pewter City Geodude
12th January 2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Animelee
Though in the show, it knows Water Gun and Razor Leaf, and that's impossible.

Which is probably what the flower shop sisters meant when they said their Lotad were so special and could do "all kinds of attacks".

Animelee
12th January 2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
ACTUALLY, Steelix CAN learn Dragonbreath but only by TM in the Gold, Silver and Crystal versions of the Pokemon games (which came before RS). :D :yes:

Yet more proof that Pokemon in the anime can learn any attack they can in any versions of the games, regardless of which game version their world is supposed to be in right now.8) :yes:

Oh man, I'm an idiot. I just checked my Ruby cart, and I noticed there isn't even a TM for Dragonbreath, like in GSC.

:$

Chris 2.1
12th January 2004, 10:10 AM
My Steelix has dragonbreath in Crystal. I dont know if it can be learned in RS though.

And as mentioned, the Lotad at the lake were so well trained I believe they were able to harness the power of Water Gun, although against TR it looked way more like Hydro Pump!

soggy_cardboard
12th January 2004, 03:28 PM
Wheeeeeee! I never caught a Torkoal in the games so it will be really fun to see one in action on the show.
Oh poo. I bet Torkoal wil be really popular now that hes in the anime. i hate when that happens.

Anyways, thats cool how Ash catches a Torkoal, I guess it was proven that Ash will always need a fire type .. Always.
Aww...i thought he would be fire-less, and Ash would have to work around the weakness...but...

I just noticed something about that pic...notice the conspicuous space above Lotad? Wonder if Brock will get something else later?
*Spinda falls from sky*

:D

homeofmew
13th January 2004, 09:20 AM
Animelee: Please don't post pictures like that. If I knew the screenshot I made was going to be transformed into something vulgar, I wouldn't of made it...

ShockingAlberto
14th January 2004, 09:55 PM
Regardless of type, I think Torkoal's going to be used at the Mossdeep Gym. His defense and raw power will be a huge deal against the rock pokemon there. It might even be a battle of flamethrowers with him and Solrock...don't know who's going to battle Lunatone, though. Corphish would be perfect.

Wah, getting ahead of myself.

Is it me or does Torkoal look like Shuckle in that screen posted earlier?

-- ShockingAlberto