PDA

View Full Version : [RBY] Best Psychic

GirlRepellant
9th January 2004, 02:38 PM
Hey, I'm pretty sure it's gonna be common belief that Alakazam is the best Psychic. But I can't trade (my friend broke the link jack by putting in the cable upside down and forcing it in), so the best I could get with that in Yellow is Kadabra. Should I do that, or is there a better Psychic type to get?

Also, what would a good moveset be?

Thanks!

Poryhedron
9th January 2004, 03:19 PM
Okay, first of all I'm assuming Mewtwo isn't an option. Other than that...define "the best Psychic". If you mean the one that can produce the strongest Psychic attacks, Kadabra's your pokémon; although Exeggutor does have a slightly higher Special stat, it's only partially Psychic, and back in RBY dual-types only got half STAB. Bear in mind, though, that practically every other choice of Psychic-type will be more durable than a Kadabra, possing both higher HP and higher Defense. Make sure your Kadabra learns Recover, although Recover won't be enough to save you in hardcore link battling. A Hypno would also be a good option, unless Speed is particularly important to you; Hypno's Special is only very slightly lower than Kadabra's and all of its other stats are higher save Speed.

GirlRepellant
9th January 2004, 04:05 PM
I'm just looking for the best Psychic to use as purely a Psychic-type. I want him to be durable, definately, but I'm just kind of looking for the best Psychic to replace Alakazam mostly. Oh, you're right no Mewtwo.

Unless there's a way to get a Kadabra in trade in game, so he'll evolve into Alakazam right away (like getting Machoke earlier in the game)....

Prodigy
9th January 2004, 04:09 PM
Some points..

1) In RBY, dual-types get full STAB for both types.
2) Exeggutor and Starmie make fine dual-type Psychics, but Starmie is better off without actually knowing the move Psychic.
3) Hypno is okay but I've never really liked it.
4) Psychic, Thunder Wave, Recover are essential moves. The last slot can be filled with your choice between Seismic Toss (gives it more attacking PP and allows it to damage other Psychics), Reflect (helps with terrible defense, though not against CHs), Counter (will destroy Tauros or Snorlax or Persian if they're not expecting it, but it'll only work on Normal and Fighting attacks), or Kinesis (if you're feeling lucky.. I don't personally recommend it.)
4) Alakazam is worth the price of a new link cable.

GirlRepellant
9th January 2004, 04:14 PM
It's not the link cable, it's the cable JACK on my gameboy. And I don't care what you say, Alakazam is NOT worth the price of a new gameboy.

Prodigy
9th January 2004, 04:20 PM
Not worth the price of a new GBA, obviously, but possibly worth the price of a used GBC or something. But with a busted jack you won't be doing any link battling anyway, and Kadabra is more than adequate for in-game play.

Kari and Mewtwo
23rd January 2004, 04:15 PM
Well, there still might be a way for her to get an alakazam. As long as ya got an N64, pokemon stadium 1 or 2, and two transfer packs, you'll be fine. You can always use the trade thing in oak's lab (in both stadiums) and kadabra should evolve into alakazam.

Be warned though with Stadium 2 though, as I heard that using the trade function with any RBY carts will result in the creation of 2 additional boxes on your cart, which contain freaky glitched pokes. I'm not sure on how accurate this info is, but i know for a fact its completely safe in Stadium 1 (since PS1 was just RBY only)

Moonlight Espeon
30th January 2004, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Kari & Mewtwo
Well, there still might be a way for her to get an alakazam. As long as ya got an N64, pokemon stadium 1 or 2, and two transfer packs, you'll be fine. You can always use the trade thing in oak's lab (in both stadiums) and kadabra should evolve into alakazam.

Be warned though with Stadium 2 though, as I heard that using the trade function with any RBY carts will result in the creation of 2 additional boxes on your cart, which contain freaky glitched pokes. I'm not sure on how accurate this info is, but i know for a fact its completely safe in Stadium 1 (since PS1 was just RBY only)

Yes, it is true that you can trade between two Game Paks on your N64 as long as you have two Transfer Paks and Pokemon Stadium/2. However, trading between R/B/Y carts does not make two extra boxes with glitched Pokemon, because I trade between them all the time and it's never happened to me.
Maybe that person just had a glitched Transfer Pak/Game Pak.

Kari and Mewtwo
16th February 2004, 04:30 PM
I do know that the so-called "Lab glitch" in stadium2 involved trading between RBY cart and a GSC cart. Im not 100% sure on RBY-RBY trades, but i do know that GSC-GSC trades are safe.

Green_Pikachu
17th February 2004, 01:45 PM
fully evolved, non-legendary psychic pokemon:

exeggutor
alakazam
starmie
slowbro
jynx

those are my top 5, in that order. i think eggy is the clear cut number 1, since it is an essential on rby teams, and kazam isn't . kazam and starmie are interchangeable, but tell me. what pokemon serves the same purpose as eggy? nothing. it's a beast.