PDA

View Full Version : OMG, Nintendo is awesome

Asilynne
16th January 2004, 10:10 PM
For Christmas I had gotten a Gameboy advanced SP. Not only did it have AWESOME graphics for a handheld, and it was rechargable so you never had to replace the batteries, but recently I found out that it was also the sturdiest damn thing in the world. I always keep it in the pocket of my favorite denim jacket (its my favorite for a reason ^v~) but one day, my dad decided it needed washing and put the jacket WITH the GBA SP in the wash. As if that wasnt enough, he then put it in the dryer, before realising afterwards that that thumping noise he kept hearing was a piece of technology. When I found out I was like 'OH NO ;.;!!! I only had this for less than a month aahhhhh!' But to my surprise, after plugging it in to recharge its battery, I found that it still worked, though the screen was all fogged up and wet on the inside. But even that dried up after a day of leaving it open. Not only that but the game I had in there (legacy of Goku II) still worked as well, AND still had all of my saved memory on it. Now the only signs of its adventure through the wash is a slight color difference on the corners of the blue plastic casing.

In conclusion, nintendo ROCKS. If they can make a handheld that can survive all that, they can do anything.

What do you all think of nintendo's engineering?

Master Rudy
17th January 2004, 12:22 AM
I for one know just how much punishment Nintendo's systems can take. You read about them all the time in NP. While none of my systems have taken the amount of abuse that Brandy's GBA took I will say that my original GB (the one from 1989)has more battle scars than a biker. I've lost track of how many times the thing has been dropped over the years (sometimes down stairs or on concrete). Despite the abuse the only noticeable damage is the tape that holds the plastic that protects the LCD screen in place, tape holding the battery cover and all the small marks on the corners from being dropped so many times over the years. It's sometimes surprising to think that this 15 year old system still works like new.

*reads the last line he typed*

Damn......has it really been that long since Nintendo made the original Game Boy? Now I feel old!
Back in my day.........
lol

Razola
17th January 2004, 01:25 AM
Generally, they are well made, but I was surprised with the CUbe Controllers. Me and several friends have had numerous problems, the most common being the B button sticking. And this isn't after lots of play (it most commonly happened only a week or two after getting the Cube).

But Wavebirds are a gift from God. Have yet to have a problem with my set of four.

Mikey
17th January 2004, 08:54 AM
I heard a story of a gameboy color lying out in the lawn, surviving a storm and being run over by a lawnmower. It still worked fine besides the cracked screen!:o

Heald
17th January 2004, 11:10 AM
My GBA (classic, not SP) has survived quite a lot, but despite how many smashes it takes, although it still works fine, I can barely play any games now thanks to the scuffed up screen. Nintendo made that screen too sensitive and now it is all scratched up. Annoying.

The Muffin Man
17th January 2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Asilynne
For Christmas I had gotten a Gameboy advanced SP. Not only did it have AWESOME graphics for a handheld, and it was rechargable so you never had to replace the batteries, but recently I found out that it was also the sturdiest damn thing in the world. I always keep it in the pocket of my favorite denim jacket (its my favorite for a reason ^v~) but one day, my dad decided it needed washing and put the jacket WITH the GBA SP in the wash. As if that wasnt enough, he then put it in the dryer, before realising afterwards that that thumping noise he kept hearing was a piece of technology. When I found out I was like 'OH NO ;.;!!! I only had this for less than a month aahhhhh!' But to my surprise, after plugging it in to recharge its battery, I found that it still worked, though the screen was all fogged up and wet on the inside. But even that dried up after a day of leaving it open. Not only that but the game I had in there (legacy of Goku II) still worked as well, AND still had all of my saved memory on it. Now the only signs of its adventure through the wash is a slight color difference on the corners of the blue plastic casing.

In conclusion, nintendo ROCKS. If they can make a handheld that can survive all that, they can do anything.

What do you all think of nintendo's engineering?

;) These are really great to hear. Nintendo makes quality stuff. That's why it's always Mad Catz crap breaking apart. Nintendo stuff is quality. It took my ages of struggling to peel off the scuffed/scratched GBA screen cover. Why? Because they made damn sure it was on their well and tight!

Adz44
17th January 2004, 03:49 PM
Interesting stories of how Nintendo's products survive the worst...maybe I shouldn't worry about playing my GBA SP in the rain anymore...

Of course, I won't leave it out in the rain or dip it in water to see if it still works. That would be just stupid (or pure insanity, even). lol

Strider
17th January 2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
;) These are really great to hear. Nintendo makes quality stuff.

I would have to exclude the GC controllers out of the well-made camp too... some friends of mine had their controllers go bust, and I went through those things like water until I got the Wavebird. That controller is better made it seems, as it has lasted me for nearly two years (although the controls do stick occasionally).

But overall, Nintendo products are tough stuff. Take my NES, I've had it for as long as I can remember and it still works fine. :)

Master Rudy
18th January 2004, 08:05 PM
I find it strange that so many people have trouble with the GCN controllers. My original one worked just fine for nearly two years. The only reason why that one stopped working was because I got a bit careless and dropped it. Apparently the blow screwed up the A, B, Y and X buttons. Whenever I press just one of the buttons the controller reads it as all four buttons at once. Other than that incident I've had no problems with any Nintendo controllers for at least five years from the date of purchase (2-3 years on used controllers).

Zup
18th January 2004, 09:11 PM
My GBC lasted so much abuse before lineson the screen turned white every thiry seconds after it was turned on. My GBA lasted a few years, until I put it in my backpack. Now it has a big black splotchi n the middle and won't play. :(

I feel very sad. My dad is buying me a new one, but I still am sad.

Mewfour
20th January 2004, 11:30 AM
Where to begin......

My oldskool GB has been kicked around more than someone dressed up as Dobby in a Harry Potter Wizards' fan club. If I had a nickel for every time I abused it and said "This thing's gotta' be busted now", I'd be freakin' buying out Bill Gates.

The only N-made thing that was really a step down from thier classic lastability is, unfortunately, the GCN controllers. I've gone though six of them, and ironically, the only controller that's lasted the longest is my Mad Catz one. Welcome to the Twilight Zone.....

The Muffin Man
20th January 2004, 12:17 PM
There is no post.

The Muffin Man
20th January 2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by Strider
I would have to exclude the GC controllers out of the well-made camp too... some friends of mine had their controllers go bust, and I went through those things like water until I got the Wavebird. That controller is better made it seems, as it has lasted me for nearly two years (although the controls do stick occasionally).

But overall, Nintendo products are tough stuff. Take my NES, I've had it for as long as I can remember and it still works fine. :)

This is more over-rigorous playing. I know a kid who has the tumbstick busted so it's basically the outer disc and jagged little edges, the Z-Buttons busted, and its' duct taped together. This is because he pushes the buttons WAY Too hard. This is probably why your friends is busted

Razola
20th January 2004, 01:25 PM
This is more over-rigorous playing. I know a kid who has the tumbstick busted so it's basically the outer disc and jagged little edges, the Z-Buttons busted, and its' duct taped together. This is because he pushes the buttons WAY Too hard. This is probably why your friends is busted
Like I said, I and several friends have had the buttons on normal pads get stuck only a few days to a week after getting the controller. This has yet to happen with Wavebirds, so I have to say that Nintendo just didn't do that great of a job with the corded controllers.

Though this may have been adressed with later generations, as all of our controllers were made when the Cube first came out.

PNT510
20th January 2004, 02:12 PM
I have had no problems with my gamecube controllers seeing how i only use it a few hours a month, but my friend and has problem with the Joystick on 2 of his controlers. sometimes when turning the system on the cube thinks you're always pressing left, even if the joystick is in the middle.

classy_cat18
20th January 2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by PNT510
I have had no problems with my gamecube controllers seeing how i only use it a few hours a month, but my friend and has problem with the Joystick on 2 of his controlers. sometimes when turning the system on the cube thinks you're always pressing left, even if the joystick is in the middle.

Oh, that's no biggie. They show you how to solve that problem in all of the Gamecube game instruction books.

PNT510
20th January 2004, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by classy_cat18
Oh, that's no biggie. They show you how to solve that problem in all of the Gamecube game instruction books.

We know how it fix it, but it's annoying to have to fix it every time the game starts up.

Strider
20th January 2004, 07:29 PM

Well, with my friends, that's partly the case. They played many matches of SSBM, so the control sticks went limp after a while. But as far as I know from when I played with them, they didn't mash the buttons hard or anything to cause them to malfunction.

My controls went bust from... I don't know what, really. I didn't play TOO much, but I did put in my fair share of hours and never mashed the buttons hard; yet they didn't last too long. But as Raz said, our controllers were also about the first models that were released... so I'm not sure about the newer models.

So up to now, the Wavebird has given me no major problems, and it has received the same treatment and usage as the previous controllers. Still works great, minus the sticking here and there.

Pokemaster Matt
21st January 2004, 03:42 AM
Yea, Raz has a point. My controllers are fairly new, and I've played with them hours on end, and never had any problems.

Gameboys are nearly invincible. I had an original one for god knows how long, and then sold it to my cousin, who used it for a year or two, and it worked perfectly fine.

My friend got a Snes when they were new, and he still has it. He played it all the time until September of last year, and didnt have any problems. It still works fine, but he doesnt play it becuase he got a PS2