PDA

View Full Version : Phobias

Roarkiller
24th January 2004, 09:38 PM
Everyone has smthng theyre afraid of. So i thought id start a thread forppl to, uh, confess :P

For me, i got a long list of fears, from fear of heights to roaches etc. Fortunately i learned to turn half of them into a driving factor, and unfortunately it means sometimes i put myself into stupid positions. Actually, fear gives me a high at times. For example, when ur afraid of riding a roller coaster, u get more adrenalin, dont u think? ;) I also hve a slight fear of injuries, fear of not knowing, fear of death, bla bla...

Animelee
24th January 2004, 09:53 PM
Death, severe injuries that requite amputations/surgury, brain-damage, heart attacks-- Let's just say I'm scared of non-safe things.

I'll probably be the guy going 30 KM per-hour on the freeway, and I'm not even old!

Anything that requires me to take risks scares the crap outta me.

titandude21
24th January 2004, 10:11 PM
let's see... i have a fear of:
heights, airplanes, putting my life in the hands of others, watching other people succeed in something I failed at, anything that may cause lightheadedness or vomiting

part fear/part superstition: avoid broccoli/cauiflower, avoid looking at the TV while turning it off, avoid reading on a rainy day, avoid planning something major on the day after I have a good day, b/c I never have 2 good days in a row

Rei_Zero
24th January 2004, 10:59 PM
Hmm...it used to be the dark, then the heights, and now what was once a fear of talking to girls (cute/nice/etc.) has become a very mild shyness. Jeez, I guess I overcame most of my fears, though I guess high g-forces do scare the crap outta me, and oh ya, the stuff I'm learning when I'm reading an article on physics. Oh, and there's a comedic fear of ppl who are high, including me in one of my sugar rushes.

RedStarWarrior
24th January 2004, 11:10 PM
I have no phobias I can think of, but I do have fears.

EmpressMyuu
24th January 2004, 11:32 PM
For some reason, even though I'm 14, I still have a major fear of the dark. If it's pitch-black darkness, I start freaking out in my mind. I also have a fear of the idea of being blind.

And I have quite the odd fear of bubble-eyed goldfish. :P

Toxicity
25th January 2004, 12:08 AM
I do have a few notable fears I might list:
~Failing...in anything, really. I'm now scared I got a bad grade in English(honors class) because my teacher hates me...:(

~People just betraying me. I'm already lonely and I'd feel worse if I fell into deeper sadness because I'm betrayed(first my 'friends', then my family, and it goes beyond that...)

~Being upside down at high speeds...especially with my glasses on. That's why I avoid a variety of roller coasters....;.;

~Transgenders/People of one gender who look like somebody of the opposite sex. Transgenders just get me confused and Michael Jackson just freaks me out...o.O

~Blades/needles. You think most goths would just slit their wrists? Real ones don't and I fear blades. Needles would feel worse than myself trying to pop a zit, and that's why I don't have my ears pierced, and I want triple piercings in each ear so bad...:(

~Weird noises that sound like scattering. I hear it a lot in my house at night(I think its rodents in the attic, I dunno..) and it freaks me out...*panics and cowers in corner as she hears another*

~Confusion. I hate it when I feel confused over a matter most kids my age can easily deal with...and I'm stuck. I also hate it how I think something is one thing but they're the complete opposite..

The Rusted One
25th January 2004, 12:45 AM
Personally, I'm not sure whether I'm scared of spiders or actually have arachnophobia. I'm quite sure it's just that I'm scared of them, because things such as jumping spiders, or the bigger, slower kinds, I'm fine with (though I wouldn't say I'm fine with things such as tarantulas) - however, the reasonably large ones, with spindly legs, or of considerable size and speed, I get uncomfortable around. I have the typical, "ew, now that's just disgusting" response, i.e., shivers running down my spine, and my skin crawls. I'm not a nervous wreck around them, put it that way - so I don't think I'm phobic, at least. The same applies of heights - I can become a little dizzy, and would prefer not to stand on the glass floors of the Skytower in Auckland, but I'm not going to break down or faint if I find myself at the edge of the building looking down onto the streets below.

Mmm, this may be a little bit more poll-ish than anything else (people aren't really discussing an issue, or anything), so I'll push it through to PCG and see what happens after that.

Zup
25th January 2004, 12:49 AM
I have Phobiatopicphoia. Aaaahh!

No, I don't actually have any phobias, but my friends has a deep Arachnophobia and Insectiphobia.

Kamon
25th January 2004, 01:16 AM
Hypengiophobia, Fagoheparophobia and Insectiphobia.

My phobias, but these are some.

firepokemon
25th January 2004, 03:13 AM
My god you people are ****ing stupid. Half of what you lot are saying aren't even phobias at all. Many of them seem to be phobias you either made to ****ing look good, or because you're ****ing ignorant. Grow the **** up.

I don't like spiders or large insects because well they freak me out. I can watch them on tv or at a distance, but get freaked up when looking at them close.

Majorly scared of heights. You will not get abseiling, not even if its 10 metres and I only have to look over a balcony and get all dizzy.

I'm not good with driving, which explains why I am still to apply for my learners, I can handle being in a car, but now and then get freaked out by people's driving, and do not speed when I am in the car because as my bf knows I freak out and goes nuts at him. This I am sure was because of the mini bus accident and motorbike trailer accident. Where the trailer unlatched from the motorbike and we went down a small hill.

When someone broke into our house and stole our computer, ever since then I sometimes think people are breaking in, and always careful with security.

When our house burnt down I'm far more aware of fire now and sometimes will get up because I think I heard something, this also happens when I think someone is at our property.

I'm not really into anything high adrenaline and I think I'm naturally nervous with anything thats outside whats the norm.

I also don't like crowds of people, I'm rather shy in real life, my bf says its because I lack of confidence and most likely thats true. And maybe this can explain why I am so nervous with a lot of things.

I wouldn't say I have any real phobias other than heights I just think I'm a nervous person and thats where alot of problems lie.

Iveechan
25th January 2004, 03:37 AM
Like others, I'm not sure of a phobia, but there's fears I have.

I have a similar reaction to spiders as Rusty. The chill down the spine... I think it's the spindly legs and the jerky movements, plus I despise bugs crawling on me. Such a nasty feeling.

Large animals also scare me a little. I don't flip out at the site of a horse or anything, but when horses come near me I feel nervous. What's really nerve racking is when horses in a field gather around me, then start nipping eachother and getting ansty. I don't trust horses which is why I no longer ride.

This is more of a shyness thing, but I feel very nervous around people. Crowds stress me out, but so does talking one on one, making eye contact. Oddly, I fair well talking in a group.

I have a fear of being taken advantage of, be it rape or something else. I have had nightmares of getting raped or being tied down and sliced open... this is why I'm wary of relationships.

On a much less serious note, water jets in swimming pools give me the willies :D

Yoh Asakura
25th January 2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by EmpressMyuu
For some reason, even though I'm 14, I still have a major fear of the dark. If it's pitch-black darkness, I start freaking out in my mind. I also have a fear of the idea of being blind.

And I have quite the odd fear of bubble-eyed goldfish. :P

I love teh dark ;D but i'm a freak so meh x)

http://www.realfears.com/

Japanophobia: Fear of Japanese.
Judeophobia: Fear of Jews

Rotf X)

Anywho, fear of death and of spiders here.

Luthien Tinuviel
25th January 2004, 08:45 AM
I have many phobias, but for the sake of time, will only list a few. I am afraid of:

bees
strangers
failure
being kidnapped
speaking in front of people

Bugs, spiders, and the dark do not bother me however.

Jamesology101
25th January 2004, 09:28 AM
I'm not exactly too fond of insects and spiders and stuff, but not really to the extent of a phobia. I do have one phobia, however: the sea.

I'm terrified of the sea. I hate crossing the sea on ships or flying over it on planes. The thought of all of that deep, dark water, going down endlessly, not to mention all of the creatures and stuff that are in it .... brr, it just sends shivers down my spine. I hate the sea. In fact, I just plain try not to think about it too much.

I'm not scared of water or anything. I mean, I'm fine in swimming pools and stuff. But I'll never go swimming in the sea...

DarkTemplarZ
25th January 2004, 10:25 AM
I don't really have any phobias really, I have a slight fear of the dark, night, and being alone, but otherwise nope.

ChesterBLover
25th January 2004, 08:12 PM
I don't know about phobias or whatever, but I am afraid of heights, to the point where I can hardly move, and big dogs. I am scared to death the get ripped apart by this giant huskey that lives near me, and also I am afraid of public speaking, going to gym class, and having people talk to me and I say something stupid. Wow.

Syberia
25th January 2004, 08:41 PM
I can't think of much of anything that I'm really "afraid" of at the moment. I mean, I'm always the one doing stupid things to get himself hurt in the first place.

Deus Mortuorum
25th January 2004, 09:27 PM
Heights and beaches.

:no:

Royal_Goddess_Tina
26th January 2004, 11:16 AM
Hurting myself..... And the doctor said I might have a school phobia... :wave:

uz's return
26th January 2004, 11:42 AM
being violated by a man:no: :no: :o :o (seriously i am)
hieghts(but i love flying)
used to be afraid of the dark
Democrats(seriously i am)
The end of the USA/world
being on a boat and not being able to see land

Number1ChanseyFan
26th January 2004, 11:44 AM
I am extremely scared of bees/hornets/wasps. I get really freaked out when I see one. I really hate them!! The bad thing is, is that if one is in the house, I can't even kill it, because I am afraid to get close to them. I just yell for someone to get rid of it, while I keep trying to get as far away from it as I can, while making sure that I can keep an eye of it. This becomes quite a problem when I am home by myself!! lol I am also afraid of heights, but the height fear isn't near as bad as the bee fear.

Tainted
26th January 2004, 12:43 PM
Browsing. Haven't posted in one hell of a long time.

I have one fear and only one fear and that is the fear of water-- not necessarily drowning, just I don't feel comfortable in water. Never have, really.
Showering is fine, but sitting in water and such just sort of crawls on me. I think it comes from when I was little having one of those "first tub baths" and I was in my little circle thinger and I broke it and fell into the open water. I don't even remember this happening, I was much to young, but it could be one of those subliminal fears.

Adieu.

The Muffin Man
26th January 2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Kamon
Hypengiophobia, Fagoheparophobia and Insectiphobia.

My phobias, but these are some.

Second ones not even real. What you just said is you're afraid of responsibility. Insectiphobia is not real. It's Entomophobia. Go to Phobialist.com.

Kakorrhaphiophobia - Fear of failure or defeat.
Hydrophobia - Fear of water or Rabies(wtf?)
Batophobia - Fear of heights or being near high buildings.
Agraphobia - Fear of sexual abuse
Glossophobia- Fear of speaking in public or of trying to speak.

Greatest fear ever.
Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- Fear of long words.
"What phobia do you have?" "Fear of long words..." "Whats the technical name?" "*glare*"

Midget_in_a_Bikini
28th January 2004, 10:27 AM
I dont have any phobias as such, but i do fear some things.

1) Strangers - I get very suspicious and weary when someone i have never met before talks to me for no reason, for eg. old scary drunk guy asking me to come towards him.

2) Spiders - They freak me out. If i ever see a spider, then i pretty much run out of the room, with a ichy feeling. I check my bed-sheets every night before i go to bed to see if there are any spiders in my bed. I hate the thought of something crawling all over me while im asleep.

3) Being in a large, moving crowd - I almost passed out at a metallica concert because i was squashed in the middle of a swaying crowd. I was drained of energy from pushing back, trying to keep my balance. If i had fallen, i probably would have been crushed :(.

4) Being alone - I dread the thought of being alone in this world. I find it hard enough to talk to new people as it is. I dont know what i would do without my friends and family.

5) No afterlife - I dont like to think about it too much, but i hate the thought that after you die, thats it. Nothing else. Your mind stops and there is nothingness. It scares and confuses me to think about it.

6) Needles - They freak me out. The thought of having an injection sends shivers down my spine. *shudders*

Im not afraid of too many things. Im quite a mellow person with stuff like that. Plus, im not afraid of pain(with the exception of needles). I can endure quite a bit of pain, and sometimes i might enduce pain on myself just to see what it feels like. But id never slit my wrists or any of that stuff.

No, im not a goth!!!

Syberia
29th January 2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Royal_Goddess_Tina
And the doctor said I might have a school phobia... :wave:
Lol I wish the doctor said that about me. "Sorry, I can't go to school today, it gives me the creeps." :P

GreenShirT
29th January 2004, 03:36 PM
I hate moths personally with the big furry wings and antanne, ewww. And biting snakes *chomp*

ZeldaFan20
29th January 2004, 09:47 PM
My greatest fear has to do with my Arachnophobia---unnatural fear of spiders. I know a lot of you are afraid of spiders, too, but I can't even look at a Daddy Long-Legs (which isn't even a spider) without freaking out!

pimuni
1st February 2004, 12:14 PM
I have Coulrophobia! lol, I am just kidding. Who could be afraid of clowns? lmao.

My real phobia is Altophobia. Heights give me the creeps...

http://www.deathstudios.com/images/Slappy.jpg

omg! ahhhh!

Pichu
2nd February 2004, 04:04 PM
I don't like giant barring spiders, small ones are okay. I think the biggest spider I ever seen was the size of a crab (its not a crab, because it is furry and is the size of my fist). @_@;

And also, as stated by TMM: Glossophobia- Fear of speaking in public or of trying to speak.

pimuni
2nd February 2004, 04:09 PM
spiders are nasty, but i am not arachnophobic. Tarantulas are cool. I have had 3 tarantulas in my life, but eventualy they all died :(

I hate thos long legged spiders that are found usually on corners or under desks. God, they are sneaky...

The_Missing_Link
2nd February 2004, 04:43 PM
I'm afraid of dying O-o Yeah, I know it's stupid but I have these different scenarios going on in my mind on how I could die. They're really stupid but I'm pretty paranoid so it's an ongoing thing --;

Cheesey
2nd February 2004, 04:50 PM
My biggest fear is losing my friends. It may sound silly but it's happened so often to me before that I just can't stand the thought of it happening again. Some way or another I've lost my friends, whether it be death, they've moved, or we fell out, but I don't want it to happen again. I desperately want to keep my online friends - I already lost one (Matt) after he thought I was pressurizing him, and I don't want it to happen again.

At school I have one best friend and he means loads to me. I don't know what I'd do without him - It's so much easier to cope with him around. Online I have Jay, and he's always around to talk to, to help me, and do everything a best friend should do. They mean everything to me and I never, ever want to lose them.

I may sound pathetic but that's how I feel. =|

The Muffin Man
2nd February 2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by The_Missing_Link
I'm afraid of dying O-o Yeah, I know it's stupid but I have these different scenarios going on in my mind on how I could die. They're really stupid but I'm pretty paranoid so it's an ongoing thing --;

XD I'd actually like to meet a person not afraid of dying. That'd be pretty funny.

"Are you afraid of dying?" "Course not" "What are you afraid of?" "*shifty eyes*moon probes...the Moon people are watching us...."

Asilynne
2nd February 2004, 11:11 PM
Theres only a few things in this world that Scare me, and none of them really scare me to the point of immobilization.

Surgery: Doctors put you unconsious and then come at you with their bizzare objects, no thanks lol I always said if I needed surgery to live to just let me die, but Rudy said he wouldnt let me ^-^()

Tidal waves: I love everything about the ocean except for this. You cant fight them, you cant run from them, and you cant stand your ground from them, because its a force of nature that is just too strong. So they suck :P

Someone I love dying: Another thing I cant fight, this is one of my biggest because you cant reason with death, it comes when it comes. If I could take their place I would since I personally am not afraid of dying, I dont want to die but Im not afraid of it. Im more afraid of being the one left behind to face the world without someone.

Surreal stuff: This is just all that weird crap you see sometimes in movies. When a person or an animal moves or acts in an unnatural way. If youve seen the way the little girl moves in The Ring or the way the little boy is whispering about the creeper in jeepers Creepers 2, then youve seen what I mean lol

Thats pretty much it, and I dont usually think about them all that much, so Im pretty fearless lol Stuff that people are usually afraid of, like bugs, snakes, and heights, I have no problems with. In fact, heights thrill me ^,-,^

Silver Ledian
8th February 2004, 09:15 AM
I am one scaridy cat so I'll just list my phobias/things I fear:

Heights
Dentists
Injections
Most spiders
Dogs that aren't on leads/leeshes (sp?)
Having a really bad illness that can't be cured successfully.

Ock there's probably so much more but those are just the first few things that come to mind. I really should try and conquer a lot of them but I think it's fair that I don't like my teeth being pulled O_O;;;

Mab the Mad Clefable
8th February 2004, 01:34 PM
I'm a bit phobic about hospitals, etc. I'd much rather sort myself out. If I had to go, then I would but it would be the last option.

Linux
13th February 2004, 04:02 AM
i have a fear of the ocean, or a very large body of water... and I also dislike spiders to a very large extent.

but both aren't what I would call phobias.

shazza
13th February 2004, 11:33 PM
I don't have any phobias, but I do have a fear of death. It just scares the **** out of me when I think what happens etc when you die.

abunaidesu
14th February 2004, 12:54 AM
Well I don't know the phobia names for them but:
- Roaches
- Math(I sorta have a learning disability in Math where I can't do anything much higher than fractions o.o)
- Death(yes, i sound like a queer ^__^)

Whatever.

dark_tyranitar
15th February 2004, 11:16 AM
Mostly Altophobia (fear of heights). I don't mind being in an airplane, or anything, but if I'm looking out of the fourth floor of a building or something, I freak. Other than that, I also have fear of wide open spaces, anti-claustrophobia, if you will.