PDA

View Full Version : Anime in the United Kingdom

Heald
28th January 2004, 02:22 PM
As an Anime fan and currently living the United Kingdom, hearing you lot brag about how great certain animes are when they are not available in the United Kingdom is kind of frustrating to me. However, I have recently realised that Toonami is not the only anime channel. So, as a tribute to UK viewers, here is a continuous list of animes in the UK and what channels they are on (note: there are almost no (decent) animes on terrestrial tv so you will need Sky/Digital/Cable or something to receive these channels):

---

Dragonball/Z/GT - Toonami

Ultimate Muscle - Toonami

Outlaw Star - Toonami

Cowboy Bebop - Toonami (no longer showing)

BeyBlade/V-Force - Cartoon Network

Teen Titans - Toonami

Escaflowne - Fox Kids (no longer showing)

Shinzo - Fox Kids (no longer showing)

Digimon - Fox Kids

Monster Rancher - Fox Kids (no longer showing)

Yu-Gi-Oh - Nickelodeon/Sky One

Pokémon - Sky One

Neon Genesis Evangelion - Sci-Fi Channel

Cardcaptors - Nickelodeon (is this still showing?)

Tenchi - Toonami

Bubblegum Crisis - Sci-Fi Channel

Anime Movie - Sci-Fi Channel

Gundam Wing - Toonami

(note: no longer showing means it previously aired on that channel but has now been discontinued)

---

That's all I can think of at this precise moment in time. UK viewers, this is a continuous list; I want more and more submissions to this list! Let the world know there is better stuff out there than BeyBlade!

RedStarWarrior
28th January 2004, 02:50 PM
Does the UK not have Adult Swim?

Yoh Asakura
28th January 2004, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Raven Adonis
Does the UK not have Adult Swim?

No we don't.

You forgot Bubblegum Crisis which is still airing, and you also forgot to mention that Sci-Fi airs an anime movie every Thursday night/Friday Morning.

Heald
28th January 2004, 03:56 PM
Bubblegum Crisis is on Sci-Fi, right?

(note people, if you're going to submit shows, please put the channel with them!)

EDIT: As for Adult Swim, we did have a British version of it called CNX. However, due to lack of interest from the target audience (adults) it died. This is mainly Cartoon Network's fault as they failed to realise that if they only advertise on Cartoon Network, no adults are going to realise there is an adult channel. Durrrrr...

It got quite crap in its last month or two. It cut good shows like Sealab and Aqua Teen and replaced them with crappy Japanese (action, not animated) movies. They sucked.

Yoh Asakura
28th January 2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by HealdPK
Bubblegum Crisis is on Sci-Fi, right?

(note people, if you're going to submit shows, please put the channel with them!)

EDIT: As for Adult Swim, we did have a British version of it called CNX. However, due to lack of interest from the target audience (adults) it died. This is mainly Cartoon Network's fault as they failed to realise that if they only advertise on Cartoon Network, no adults are going to realise there is an adult channel. Durrrrr...

It got quite crap in its last month or two. It cut good shows like Sealab and Aqua Teen and replaced them with crappy Japanese (action, not animated) movies. They sucked.

CNX became Toonami, just thought you'd like to know =)
CNX started airing Toonami and then they made Toonami into a channel ditched CNX.

How can you CNX was crap? CNX brought us Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Spawn, DB:GT amongst others.

Heald
28th January 2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by YAMI YUGI™
CNX became Toonami, just thought you'd like to know =)
CNX started airing Toonami and then they made Toonami into a channel ditched CNX.

How can you CNX was crap? CNX brought us Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Spawn, DB:GT amongst others. Toonami is not CNX. CNX had stuff like Adult Swim and Sealab 2021 and Aqua Teen Hunger Force. Toonami is just action cartoons that I like.

I never said CNX was crap. Until it ditched all the decent programs and just aired crappy Japanese action movies and Birds of Prey (shudders) I used to love it. Unfortunately, one problem I did have with CNX was the self-advertising. It spent about 10 minutes advertising its own programs. They could have put in more episodes of Sealab in some of those adverts. Trailer Park was crap too. CNX used to rock until they crapped it up.

woz
28th January 2004, 04:53 PM
get broadband; problem solved.

Heald
28th January 2004, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by woz
get broadband; problem solved. I do have broadband, and I do download Sealab 2021 and Aqua Teen. However, I think it is more convenient if I could watch them on TV rather than downloading them.

Razola
28th January 2004, 05:19 PM
But downloading lets you see shows that aren't on in the UK and anytime you want.

That's the best solution besides ordering DVDs online.

Yoh Asakura
28th January 2004, 05:34 PM
Toonami is CNX.

CNX was channel 244 on Sky Digital, it used to run Toonami from 8:30pm with Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop at 9:00pm and Spawn and 9:30pm. When Toonami became popular they started showing adverts saying "CNX is changing to a new channel on [whatever date]" that new channel is 621 on Sky which is Toonami.

CNX Is now Toonami. Toonami is advertised on CN and vice versa.

Last Exile
28th January 2004, 09:45 PM
You're going to face two problems.

1. Any anime shown on TV will be the US edited version. Trust me, they absolutely SUCK compared to the Japanese versions! :yes:

2. No series will be released on TV before it's available on DVD. So you'll be waiting a long while to see stuff like Last Exile, Stellvia, Full Metal Panic? (Fumoffu) and so on. Trust me, find someone who downloads fansubs and get it from them. Fansubs >>> dubs IMO.

Razola
28th January 2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita
You're going to face two problems.

1. Any anime shown on TV will be the US edited version. Trust me, they absolutely SUCK compared to the Japanese versions! :yes:
DVDs are normally uncut and in english. I'd rather not spend the bulk of my viewing time keeping an eye on the bottom of the screen,

2. No series will be released on TV before it's available on DVD. So you'll be waiting a long while to see stuff like Last Exile, Stellvia, Full Metal Panic? (Fumoffu) and so on. Trust me, find someone who downloads fansubs and get it from them. Fansubs >>> dubs IMO.
Downloads are free too, but DVDs are a decent substitute if needed.

But Dubs > Subs of any kind. I can fully take in the animation and they don't strive to be as accurate, letting in little english idioms and pop culture. That and if there's any chance of Richard Cox being it in, it's worth it.

Azura Stardust
29th January 2004, 04:52 AM
Let's just not get into the extremely exhausted, tired and stupid subject of subs vs dubs... :\

Anyway, somewhere on the topic, when do you think companies will start thinking of putting out 24-hour anime channels outside of Japan? The first 24-hour anime channel out side of Japan has already arrived in South East Asia, called Animax.

Last Exile
29th January 2004, 05:17 AM
When it's marketable. More adults and teens are into anime than ever, but there needs to be a guaranteed benefit for those that'll do it. If a few of the really good ones get shown on TV, then we may get enough going.

Well, I was told that the US version of Please Teacher was censored a bit, but I don't know for sure if that's true. I also heard suggestions that they edited Witch Hunter Robin in the US. Neither were censored in any form in Australia. Plus the final DVD of Excel Saga got an R18+ rating in the US but only an MA15+ in Australia. There is a difference between the versions, believe me. And yes, I think the fansubbed version of Fruits Basket was better than the DVD. At least the fansubbers actually provided the lyrics to the songs. However, a lot of the fansubbers from Hong Kong are shocking. if I ever get hold of the guys that fansubbed episodes 23-26 of Ghost In The Shell, I'd teach them a thing or two.

But, hey, I'm not trying to refuel a sub vs. dub debate. In terms of what's going on in the UK, stuff is being released too slowly. The release of Neko No Ongaeshi (The Cat Returns) has already been delayed for 3 months. And other countries should ahve had the 1st Last Exile DVD by now. To my knowledge, Australia got it released on January 13, but I heard of no other country outside of Asia releasing it yet.

The price is also an issue. Anime DVDs are $33 AUS in Australia, about $25 US in America, and about 15 pounds in the UK. Hoever, the uncut re-relase of Sailor Moon DVDs are selling at only 5 pounds. That might encourage higher sales.

The problem? Anime DVDs are too expensive to get enough of what you want. Spending around $200 AUS on a 26 episode series is not something I want to do, and to spend a thousand dollars to get 5 is completely unacceptable. Prices need to be lower if they're going to sell enough. Time to end the gluttony.

Heald
29th January 2004, 01:15 PM
I'm not here to debate whether British anime sucks. I know that already.

Yami Yugi, I know Toonami is CNX, but I don't consider them the same channel. Toonami is all about editted anime and cartoons. They had lots of other cool uncut stuff on CNX. Toonami is a very tame version of CNX.

Yoh Asakura
29th January 2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by HealdPK
I'm not here to debate whether British anime sucks. I know that already.

Yami Yugi, I know Toonami is CNX, but I don't consider them the same channel. Toonami is all about editted anime and cartoons. They had lots of other cool uncut stuff on CNX. Toonami is a very tame version of CNX.

CNX was so **** though LOLZ Trailer park was so pointless, and the adverts that hyped things up my god...

Anywho, there's supposed to be some new anime coming to the Uk this year. I would say it's name but I can't spell it... .//Hack and Inysha(sp) sue me =x

Ultimate Charizard
1st February 2004, 09:22 AM
Well i have to agree the UK anime scene sucks but i think its starting to get better.
Although the Sci Fi channel is starting to lose interest. At one point it had Neon Genesis, Martian Successor Nadesico and Blue Gender followed by the movie of the week which as far as i can tell is always either Perfect Blue, Roujin Z, Appleseed and a couple of the Bubblegum/Dirty Pair series rotated with something random thrown in now ad again like Violence Jack or Urotsukodoji.

At least we got to see Blue Gender long before the US. The entire series ran and ended by i think it was may last year and it only started airing in the US sometime around October...

Also we do gat a number os Subs rather than Dubs, but they tend to be the weekly movies.

Dark Scizor
13th February 2004, 12:49 PM
We still get Neon Genesis and Bubblegum Crisis 2040 on sci-fi channel............But at 4:00a.m. therefore it is pointless although its on that time every day lolol (Doesn't care since i have NGE on DVD)

But i thnk they still do air the movies on a thurs night/friday morning, but i'm not sure about that.

Yoh Asakura
13th February 2004, 01:02 PM
5:00am Gasaraki - Sci-Fi Channel.
5:30am Excel Saga - Sci-Fi Channel.

Thouht you'd like to know.