PDA

View Full Version : New Special Moves

AKA Pokemon Fan
28th January 2004, 08:41 PM
Throughout the Pokemon series we've seen occassional examples of Pokemon using unusual moves for their kind (i.e Drake's Ice Beaming, Water Gunning, Thundering Dragonite, the Thunderbolting Persian, the Dragon Rage Arcanine), but on average, especially with the main group's Pokemon, they've stuck with showing the Pokemon use mostly fairly typical moves that they learn early on when levelling up.

However, in AG this seems to be changing, with many unusual moves showcased for Pokemon-of-the-day, and even some being learned by Pokemon in the main group. Examples include Pikachu's Iron Tail, Lotad's Razor Leaf and Water Gun, a Zigzagoon with Thunderbolt, a Steelix with Dragonbreath, a Torkoal (Flannery's) with Sludge Bomb, a Delcatty with an incredible assortment of moves (one summary saying it learned every move possible for it) and now even May's Skitty with Blizzard.

So if you had to choose one or more new unusual moves for the group's Pokemon to learn in the future what would you like to see? Below are my choices, be aware a few of the moves are naturally learned by levelling up (yet have not been showcased) but most are bred or TM moves in the games.

Treeko:
Dragonbreath: This would be a treat to see. I doubt they'll ever let Treeko learn Solarbeam due to intruding on Bulbasaur's usefullness.
Leech Seed: I just wonder how it would fire, possibly from the mouth and thus would connect nicely with Bullet Seed, although perhaps this invades Bulbasaur's territory too much.

Taillow:
Supersonic, Refresh, Mirror Move, Rage, Sky Attack, Steel Wing, Double Team, Endeavor, Aerial Ace, Agility etc. Let's face it, Taillow needs something to make it more useful in battle and there are so many potential moves. Brock no longer has Crobat so a Supersonic spot for the team is open, while Refresh could be useful. Mirror Move would be quite fun and has never been showcased before, even though there are literally hundreds of ways for it to be used in the show. Rage would go great with Taillow's "don't give up" attitude. Sky Attack is probably out of its league though at least until it evolves, even though it could technically use it. Steel Wing is a problem since Wing Attack now looks the same and could be redundant. None of Ash's Pokemon have ever learned Double Team and Endeavor and Aerial Ace are practically Taillow-line trademarks. Not to mention Pikachu never seems to use Agility anymore, just Quick Attacks that look like Agility. Whatever it is, Taillow needs some changes or it will end up being relegated even more than Pidgeoto and Noctowl were.

Torkoal:
Eruption: Given it already knows the super powerful Overheat, this is unlikely, even so it would be great to see.
Rock Smash: Torkoal has a pretty limited move pool and this one might be a bit awkward and not too useful. In the anime they made it appear that Rock Smash was best used only on rock fields.
Sludge Bomb: Ash could potentially remember Flannery's Torkoal and have it learn this.
Heat Wave: Again, Torkoal's movepool is limited and along with Overheat (merely because Flannery's knows it) and Smog/Smokescreen, this is one of Torkoal's signature moves.
Strength: It would be simple enough. Gary's Nidoqueen used Strength at the end of the Orange Islands and it consisted only of the Pokemon throwing its opponent high into the air with tremendous strength. I can see Torkoal doing the same using its shell as a catapault.

Corphish:
Swords Dance: Ash's Corphish already knows a decent assortment of moves but none of Ash's Pokemon have ever learned Swords Dance.
Guillotine: It's unpredictability (assuming it is a One-Hit-KO move in the anime, unlike Horn Drill) could be entertaining.
Body Slam: Could go well with Corphish's go-get'm battle style.
Ancientpower: Now this would be a treat and a surprise. Ancientpower has never been seen in the anime and Corphish would be a neat way to introduce it.
Mud Sport: Corphish looks like it would love to play in the mud.
Cut: Somewhat redundant as Corphish can already snip through things, but then the group doesn't have any Pokemon with a move that approximates Slash currently being used.
Rock Tomb: Again, unlikely and perhaps difficult to animate well with a Corphish. A Crawdaunt though would look good slamming its feet into the ground to cause pillars of rock to rise out of the earth.
Water Pulse: It looked cool when the Team Aqua member's Crawdaunt used it. Of course, if it only works over or under water it is less likely for the wirters to give to Corphish.

Torchic:
Mirror Move: It is in its moveset and Torchic would love this fun move that copies whatever attack was just used against it.
Slash: It would be neat to see a Slash done with the feet, assuming that is how a Torchic would use this move.
Reversal: Never seen in the anime, it would be a definate surprise for Torchic's foes.
Rock Slide: Now I'm just dreaming. On second thought, maybe all I should hope for is that May eventually gets it to learn a Fire attack besides Ember.

Beautifly:
Safeguard: It knows some good moves, but a shield is always nice to know. If only they'd let Ash's Nocotlw learn Reflect at some point...
Solarbeam: Would interesting and they've already had one bug (Shedinja) shown that can use it.
Psychic: Psychic type attacks are rare for the group, perhaps because they are too strong in the anime to appear much in typical battles... Noctowl only ever used Confusion in three or four episodes and Psyduck was... well Psyduck. ;)

No mention of Skitty here as it already knows Blizzard and is thus unlikely to learn more really special moves any time soon. Although, given how quickly it mastered Blizzard, perhaps I'm wrong.

Mudkip:
Whirlpool: Brock's Mudkip has rather redundant moves AFAIK, this would help make it more unique. None fo the group's Pokemon has ever known Whirlpool.
Rock Tomb: *imagines Mudkip slamming its little feet into the group to trap foes* Maybe it's not a good idea, greater size makes Rock Tomb look more impressive when performed.
Ice Ball: Now this could work, depending on how Ice Ball looks in the anime.
Mirror Coat: Misty's Corsola is gone so Mudkip could pick up the slack.

Lotad:
Nature Power: One of the Lotad lines signature moves, plus it would be entertaining giving all the different attacks it can produce depending on location. I can think of tons of interesting and/funny battle scenarios for it. Earthquake, Bubblebeam, Stun Spore, the possiblities are many.
Mega Drain: *imagines Lotad cutely latching onto the face or body of a foe and sucking away energy like a Heracross on wood* Maybe that would be too violent though, the draining moves get little representation int he anime.
Water Pulse: About the only other Water attack Lotad can learn unless it evolves.
Solarbeam: Now this would be something to see.
Ice Beam: Skitty may have the market cornered on Ice moves but maybe they'd let Lotad learn it. It would certainly be interesting, a partial Grass type using a Ice type move.
Synthesis: It already is said to know many special (in game bred) moves like Razor Leaf and Water Gun so why not this great restoration move that has yet to be seen in the anime?
Leech Seed: Another possibility.

I somewhat doubt they'll let Team Rocket's Pokemon learn any really special great moves but still there are possiblities:

Dustox:
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Silver Wind: It learns it as readily as Beautifly yet Jessie's hasn't.

Seviper:
Flamethrower: Now this would be cool, a fire breathing serpent. Plus, Seviper needs more fire power (no pun intended).
Snatch: I really doubt Jessie would be inventive or hard-working enough to bother teaching it this unusual move that steals the effect of an opponent's power-up, especially since the twerp trio's Pokemon don't use power ups much.
Dig: Arbok knew it so how come Seviper hasn't gotten it, that I know of at least?
Stockpile, Swallow, Spit Up combo: This would take so long to set up, and perhaps be hard to show in the anime, that it probably wouldn't be worth it. Though it would be funny to see Jessie lose matches while attempting to get Seviper to Stockpile a large amount of power.

Cacnea:
Focus Punch: Cacnea already knows a move that, although typical for its species, I'm surprised the writers let it learn, Sandstorm. It is quite proficient with its arms with Needle Arm so why not Focus Punch?
Acid: Arbok knew it, Seviper can't use it, here's a solution and set-up for more water gags.
Teeter Dance: Cacnea seems the type who would love a dancing attack.
Dynamicpunch: See explanation for Focus Punch.

Chris 2.1
4th February 2004, 03:45 PM
Great research for this! There are a few I can see the guys learning....although really there is no need for such flamboyant attacks; Treecko learned Bullet Seed because the only Grass attak\cks it learns naturally are Absorb and Giga Drain, which are hard to use on an enemy, as it could eisily throw Treecko off. Bullet Seed is a fast projectile they can use easily.

Pikachu learnt Iron Tail, probably because it was hard for Taillow, Treecko or Pika to take down any Rock Type Physically.

Anyway, some great suggestions. Torchic with Rock Slide? :-P

Jamesology101
5th February 2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by AKA Pokemon Fan
Dig: Arbok knew it so how come Seviper hasn't gotten it, that I know of at least?

Don't forget that Jessie owned Arbok much longer than she's had Seviper - she said she got Ekans for Christmas (in the dub, at least), so she may have had it long before she even joined up with Team Rocket. I'd say Seviper will probably use Dig sometime in the future, if the opportunity arises - the only times I can remember Arbok using Dig were when it was part of a plot device or setting up a blasting off. ^^;

I'd like to see Dustox learn Confusion or even Psychic - it hasn't used Confusion yet, has it? They seem to shy away from Psychic moves in the anime, since they're too 'easy' to win with - a Psychic Pokemon can just pick an opponent up and throw it around. That's probably why Ash hasn't ever gotten one, and the reason why the only Psychic abilities we've seen regularly on the show are the, ah, unreliable ones displayed by Psyduck. ^^ (Wobbuffet's Mirror Coat and Dustox's Psybeam, too, but they're different from Psychic and Confusion, which are more like telekinesis.) Psychic would be nice for Dustox - I can see it being a big help in TR's Pokemon-snatching plans, and I'm sure it could levitate stuff around to impress Contest judges.

Chris 2.1
8th February 2004, 02:42 PM
Lets see.....

Ash's Pokemon

--Treecko--
I reckon Mega Punch is a great idea for this guy. Maybe something lime Brick Break (it;s a TM), Karate Chop or something to make use of its limbs. Grass attacks probably won't come into play.

--Taillow--
I think Drill Peck, once it evolves. I can imagine it spinning, surrounded by spinning tornados of wind, and driving itself into the opponent.

--Corphish--
Water Pulse, after seeing Crawdaunt use it. Maybe they could make it work on land? Failing that, I think Ice Beam would look good, two beams of ice from each claw!

--Torkoal--
Ooooh, I aint sure. He has a great movepool anyway. Maybe Body Slam?

May's pokemon

--Torchic--
Flamethrower is inevitale, IMO, so maybe Mirror Move or Featherdance, for contests that would be great!

--Beautifly--
I think Morning Sun for Contests, although maybe Giga Drain or Wing Attack....*hmmm*

--Skitty--
Seeing Thunderbolt would be amazing IMHO, so maybe that, or, for originality, possibly a Flamethrower or something elemental. Oh! Solarbeam!

Brock's Pokemon

--Foretress--
Hmmm...I suppose something like Spike Cannon, or perhaps Fury Cutter, somehow. Yea.

--Mudkip--
Icicle Spear, even though I'm sure it can't learn it. It would look great :rolleyes:

--Lombre--
I think seeing Ice Punch would rock total @$$ On this guy. I'd also like to see Vine Whip....

Team Rocket

--Meowth--
Maybe Facade?

--Cacnea--
Elemental Punches would be nice, as would sand tomb....hehehe trap Pika easy!

--Wobbuffet--
CHARM!

--Seviper--
Flamethrower is very unlikely. I think Wrap, Bike, Poison Fang. Those are snake-like attacks. It MUST have more than Poison Tail....:rolleyes:

--Dustox--
I guess seeing Silver Wind, Moonlight, Shadow Ball or Dream Eater/Hypnosis would be pretty kool.

AKA Pokemon Fan
8th February 2004, 07:01 PM
Please bear no offense, I just want to point some stuff out.

Originally posted by Brit Chris Lets see.....

Ash's Pokemon

--Treecko--
I reckon Mega Punch is a great idea for this guy. Maybe something lime Brick Break (it;s a TM), Karate Chop or something to make use of its limbs. Grass attacks probably won't come into play.
Except that it has used its limbs to deliver Pound attacks, still this might mean Brick Break is a logical leap. It cannot learn Karate Chop and I don't think it can get Mega Punch either or at least it hasn't been proven to be able to use that Move Tutor yet in Fire Red/Leaf Green that I know of. In my topic I listed only moves the Pokemon are capable of learning in some version of the games.

--Taillow--
I think Drill Peck, once it evolves. I can imagine it spinning, surrounded by spinning tornados of wind, and driving itself into the opponent.
Taillow cannot learn Drill Peck, unless something has changed about its movepool that I am unaware of.

--Torchic--
Flamethrower is inevitale, IMO, so maybe Mirror Move or Featherdance, for contests that would be great!
It cannot learn Featherdance (unless things have changed). Only the Xatu, Pidgeot and Noctowl line can gain that move that I'm aware of.

--Beautifly--
I think Morning Sun for Contests, although maybe Giga Drain or Wing Attack....*hmmm*
It can't learn Wing Attack...

--Foretress--
Hmmm...I suppose something like Spike Cannon, or perhaps Fury Cutter, somehow. Yea.
It can't learn Spike Cannon or Fury Cutter. It can now learn Zap Cannon and Rock Slide however. Body Slam would benefit it as well.

--Cacnea--
Elemental Punches would be nice, as would sand tomb....hehehe trap Pika easy!
It can't learn elemental punches...

--Wobbuffet--
CHARM!
Not all Wobbuffet start out as Wynauts (they need a special item when breeding) and as Wobbuffet did not know what a Wynaut was it must have never been a Wynaut itself. Thus Charm is not available to it.

--Seviper--
Flamethrower is very unlikely. I think Wrap, Bike, Poison Fang. Those are snake-like attacks. It MUST have more than Poison Tail....:rolleyes:
Jessie's already knows bite attacks (not sure which one) and Wrap. Flamethrower is no stranger on a Seviper than Blizzard is on a Skitty.

Chris 2.1
9th February 2004, 12:40 PM
Hold up a second. I'm not basing these on in-game attacks, I dont play the new Pokemon Games and don't know who learns what. I'm simply saying that they would be suitable attacks to learn, especially since some moves would suit some Pokemon, like Featherdance on Torchic, imho.

This is the anime forum, I don't think Game rules apply. That doesn't mean to say suggesting Lotad learns Thunder is a good idea, but I'm being realistic without playing the games. I hope you can understand.

ps: I know Treecko uses Pound; what I meant was as it doesnt have a grass apendage (Leaf/Bulb) it's limbs/Tail are the base for its power.

And anyway, Wobbuffet's got a fan base big enough to know how to Charm people ;)

AKA Pokemon Fan
9th February 2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Brit Chris
Hold up a second. I'm not basing these on in-game attacks, I dont play the new Pokemon Games and don't know who learns what. I'm simply saying that they would be suitable attacks to learn, especially since some moves would suit some Pokemon, like Featherdance on Torchic, imho.

This is the anime forum, I don't think Game rules apply. That doesn't mean to say suggesting Lotad learns Thunder is a good idea, but I'm being realistic without playing the games. I hope you can understand.
I do understand, it's just that the anime has never had a Pokemon learn attacks that it can't in the game. Bulbasaur's one-time "whirlwind" (possibly a dub error) and "dig" (not even used as an attack but to slide deeper into the mud to save its own life) don't count.

Chris 2.1
10th February 2004, 10:20 AM
True, well I suppose it's a snake-like characteristic to dig underground...

Anyway, lets just resolve this :) We've both learned something from this, haven't we?

(I think we should get back on topic ^^)