PDA

View Full Version : Bad Egg

Misdreavus
31st January 2004, 12:38 AM
Hey. First post in a long time here... Anyway, has anyone heard of the "Bad Egg"? Apparently, it is a... well... a bad egg... that you get somewhere around Slateport. I hear it is very dangerous to the cartridge's battery and will never hatch. Does anyone know about this? If so, where exactly do you find it? Do you run into it in a battle like you would a Pokémon? What exactly does it do and what harm can it bring? Thanks.

Also, once you obtain Jirachi (or Deoxys... but there is no telling how or when we'll get him), does the Battle Tower prevent either of them from being used in it? I'm assuming so... it didn't say anything about not using legendaries until I got that legendary in my Pokédex.

DragonLover
31st January 2004, 09:10 AM
I havent heard of the bad egg thing yet, but its probably just a rumour. Considering Deoxys and Jirachi, i dont think they will be allowed in the battle tower since they are considered legendaries, and well legendaries arent allowed!

Don't Run With Scizors
31st January 2004, 09:37 AM
I haven't heard of this "bad egg" either, but I have hatched eggs that, when they hatched, the screen that showed up to indicate that it was hatching had a solid black background with random glitched-up tiles on it. It's happened to me twice, though it appears that neither has had any long-term effects on my game, such as it crashing or messing up any other tiles. *shrug*

As for legendaries in the Battle Tower... some of them are allowed in the Battle Tower. The three legendary birds from RBY, the three quadrupeds from GSC, as well as the Regis and the Latixs are allowed. I'm pretty certain Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi are in as well. However, Kyogre, Groudon, Mewtwo, Lugia, Ho-oh, and Rayquaza are definately banned, and Deoxys may be on that list as well.

Kyl3
31st January 2004, 11:14 AM
A bad egg is sort of sharking gone wrong. It's just an egg that'll never hatch.

DragonLover
31st January 2004, 12:07 PM
Im with DRWS some legendaries are allowed, because they're considered semi-legendaries i think. But Mew, Celebi and Jirachi are considered full legendaries, in all the RL tournaments ive played, mew and celebi weren't allowed along with the ones that DRWS listed, so im unsure but i think they wont be allowed, and since Deoxys stats are almost like Mewtwos i think hes definatley banned!

Continue
31st January 2004, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Misdreavus
[B]Hey. First post in a long time here... Anyway, has anyone heard of the "Bad Egg"? Apparently, it is a... well... a bad egg... that you get somewhere around Slateport. I hear it is very dangerous to the cartridge's battery and will never hatch. Does anyone know about this? If so, where exactly do you find it? Do you run into it in a battle like you would a Pokémon? What exactly does it do and what harm can it bring? Thanks.
/B]

As X1337 noted, it's 'sharking gone wroing'. Specifically, it's what a pokemon (either from an egg or a normal pokemon) becomes when the data in a pokemon's data block has been altered without properly altering the checksum for that data. You can get it by the improper use of a cheat device (trying to alter a pokemon without alter the checksum properly), or a bad egg may be traded to you by someone who has created one. The appearance is easy to distinguish, as it is an egg which shows up with the name 'Bad Egg' instead of the ususal 'Egg'.

Don't Run With Scizors also described basically what happens with them. In more detail: A bad egg will 'hatch' after the appropriate number of steps for a pokemon of the species inside the egg. Once you reach that point the hatching animation begins as normal. It will stop after the flash (normally a picture of the hatched pokemon would come up at this point). The screen will then go black (most of the time, random tiles are possible too). At that point, the game will no longer respond. You will have to shut off the game and resume from your last saved game.

Despite many rumors, there are normally no long-term effects on the game. There are two circumstances under which there may be long-term effects:

1. If there are other cheat codes active along with whatever codes caused the bad egg. Many of the rumors I've seen for long-term effects from bad egg are actually results from other bad codes that were active at the same time, like a screewed up HoF, etc. The bad egg itself doesn't cause the problem.

2. Saving at a point that won't let you get rid of a bad egg before it hatches. You might be a carrying a bad egg outside of a town area (or just somewhere far enough from a PC) and saved nearby. The bad egg hatches and you have to turn off and resume the game. When you resume the game, you find out that you cannot get to a PC to dump the bad egg before it will hatch again. Therefore, the bad egg will hatch again everytime you restart the game. Your game is now useless, and if you wish to do anything on it, you will be forced to start a new one.

A bad egg may be dumped in a PC and left there without any ill effects. You could also trade it to someone else to get rid of it. You may also use a cheat device to correct the error, or simply overwrite the memory area with another pokemon created by the cheat device (just make sure to get the checksum right).

Bad Eggs will not infect other pokemon, or do anything else not already noted.

If you're wondering how I come by the information on this, I've made over a half dozen of them (both on purpose and accidently) with my own cheat device. There have never been any effects on the cart that they have been on other than what I have noted.

VaporeAct
5th February 2004, 03:02 PM
Here's what I basically found from Gamefaqs:

Mauville City: Unidentified Egg:
Go to the west of Mauville city and Surf. Go to the grass and keep looking until you find a "?" as a Pokemon. The egg should hatch when you find it in a box or in your group. Its name will be "BAD Egg". The egg will take a long time to hatch. Note: You must defeat the Elite Four and fight in the Battle Tower to find it.

It doesn't really explain what it is, but it sure does explain how to find it.^_^;

(Thank You Gamefaqs)

Bacl
5th February 2004, 09:06 PM
Bad eggs are what cheaters are...I mean GET...when they cheat and mess up. You can't hatch it. You can't trade it. You have to restart.

Don't Run With Scizors
7th February 2004, 10:28 PM
I take the part about Jirachi being allowed in Battle Tower back. I just got my Colosseum bonus disc today, and it turns out it's not allowed after all. I'm assuming neither Mew or Celebi are in as well, for the same reason.

tenchi
9th February 2004, 01:05 PM
i had like 3 or 4 bad eggs from not puting the code in wrong

Linc
14th February 2004, 06:12 AM
I have live six or seven bad eggs from typing in a code wrong, but what i'm wondering is if you can put them in Pokemon Box???

tenchi
14th February 2004, 03:35 PM
Y if you have a code for like a lv.100 jirachi in box 13 slot 24
put the bad egg in box 13 slot 24 put on the code and the
new the bad egg is that jirachi

Rudoku
17th February 2004, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Dragon Rider
I have live six or seven bad eggs from typing in a code wrong, but what i'm wondering is if you can put them in Pokemon Box???

You, my friend, have found the best use for the Pokemon Box (other than a free GC-GBA Link cable).