PDA

View Full Version : Apology

mr_pikachu
1st February 2004, 09:50 PM
I’d like to take a moment to apologize to anyone on TPM who I may have offended. I’ve been acting rather rashly my past few posts, and I’m pretty sure I’ve done more harm than good. I’ve deeply upset two great writers, and I genuinely hope that they, as well as anyone else whom I may have hurt, can go on with their writing and be the authors I know they can.

On a related note, the reason I’ve been gone for the past two weeks is because I felt I needed to calm down and spend some time away to relax. Maybe the tough schoolwork got to me, or perhaps my emotions were just welling up in me for a long time. Whatever the reason may be, though, it is still no excuse for my actions. From now on, I’ll make a conscious effort to examine my posts for their emotional impact.

No one can be a perfect writer. But I now see the importance of giving criticism with the utmost kindness. After all, everyone makes mistakes.

classy_cat18
1st February 2004, 10:05 PM
*starts crying and punches mr_pikachu* Don't you EVER do that to me again! You disappeared without a word and I was worried you wouldn't come back again! If you do that again I will STOP UPDATING MY FANFICS!

mr_pikachu
1st February 2004, 10:56 PM
Sorry 'bout that. You probably sent me a PM, too, but I didn't come on to check those. (I still haven't checked them, even.) I guess I should've E-mailed you, but I was feeling pretty embarassed then. Plus, I didn't know if you'd want to talk to me, after the comments I made.

Oh, btw, I voted for TL in the Golden Pen Awards. I wouldn't have given such tough criticism if I didn't think it was a great fic. So please continue it, okay? There are a lot of people on the forums who would really appreciate that. :yes:

Chris 2.1
2nd February 2004, 02:27 PM
I don't really know you, MP, but I think it's great you're apologising. True, I sometimes thought your tactless corrections to the unobvious was a little shallow, but I have a different opinion of you now you're admitting to your 'mistakes'. I mean, that makes you a stronger person, and I'm sure anyone you've offended will welcome you back with open arms.

Thanks,
Chris

DannyBoy
2nd February 2004, 05:05 PM
Welcome back! I been here wondering where you have been. I thought you left for good or even worst...died! But your back! It's cool your giving a open apology. I had a feeling your were going to take a breake after the chat we had but its good your back. Hope you stay for good now!

Lady Vulpix
3rd February 2004, 01:35 PM
Welcome back!
Well, there are different ways of saying things. Maybe you should find a way to word your comments so that the writers understand you're trying to help and not to bring them down. Also remark the good things, not just the bad ones. As a writer, I know how sensitive we are about our work. And as someone who can hardly ever stop herself from correcting the slightest mistake, I've been on both sides of the situation.

If you read my fic, I'll appreciate your comments, and I'll correct any typos you find (which is the same I said to Karin, who has helped me a lot before).

PancaKe
3rd February 2004, 10:55 PM
I know you pretty good now, and i know that you're just not out there to nitpick on every little mistake. It is true that we all make mistakes, and if people WERE hurt by what you've said, you were right to aplogize. I guess perhaps you just need to like, change the way you word some things and sometimes picking out all the mistakes at once isnt a good idea ;) but its cool, and hopefully those u accidently offended offer forgiveness.

God Bless

~Mist

mistysakura
4th February 2004, 03:39 AM
Well, thanks for that. (No, you didn't offend me or anything; but how could you possibly have? I don't write.)

Anyway, to continue the discussion. I think that criticism is cool, as long as the stuff doesn't go on for too long. Picking out ten faults at once can make people feel a bit down about themselves, and we don't want that to happen, huh?

I also like putting at least one good thing abut the fic, even if it looks like it's written by a Grade 3. And it's hard sometimes, but I think that as long as someone wants to do a fic, they should be allowed to do it while feeling good about him/herself.