PDA

View Full Version : a lil fr/lg breedign question - an easy one

soggy_cardboard
2nd February 2004, 02:02 PM
If i get a male clefairy, and raise it up (ex. lvl 60) and breed it with a female clefairy, will the offspring have the males' moves?

or does the female need those moves aswell?

(i think its the 2nd one is right, but im not sure...)

Fossil Kabutops
2nd February 2004, 02:28 PM
Well I thought that the baby ideed get's one of 2 moves from the father, and the mother is just the pokemon that the baby will be.(but since you're using 2 clefairy's this doesn't matter) But I'm not totaly shure..

The Muffin Man
2nd February 2004, 04:29 PM
It'll only have the mothers moves if it's a learnable TM, in which case BOTH parents need to have it.

Poryhedron
2nd February 2004, 07:40 PM
There are four kinds of moves a baby can hatch with. First are the moves a baby of that species would naturally know at level 5. Duh.

The second is moves that species could learn later, through level-up. The baby will have such a move from the egg if both parents know it. Note that it has to be a move that species could learn, not an evolved form, so breeding two Gyarados will not give you a Magikarp with Dragon Rage.

The third is moves that species could learn by TM. The baby will know any TM moves it's compatible with if the father knows them. The mother doesn't have to.

The fourth is the special set of "egg moves" that pokémon can only learn through breeding...for example, False Swipe Shroomish. Like TMs, those moves are inherited strictly from the father. The mother doesn't have to know them, and couldn't pass them on if she did.

Note that the "one move from the father" factor is strictly rumor. A pokémon can, in fact, inherit up to four moves it wouldn't normally know at level 5.

Gagome
3rd February 2004, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Poryhedron
Note that the "one move from the father" factor is strictly rumor. A pokémon can, in fact, inherit up to four moves it wouldn't normally know at level 5.

Yes, to give you an example: I breeded two Shroomish with the following movesets:

Male Shroomish (lvl 54):

Headbutt
False Swipe
Giga Drain
Spore

Female Shroomish (lvl 54):

Headbutt
Leech Seed
Stun Spore
Spore

The resulting baby inherited all four moves from the father.

Headbutt and Spore because both parents did know them and the baby can learn it naturally. Giga Drain because it's a TM. And False Swipe because it's an Egg Move for Shroomish.

What happens with the moves the baby would have normally at lvl 5? Well, they were overridden by the new moves from the father. This goes from the bottom of the movelist to the top. Shroomish normally knows two moves at level 5: Absorb and Tackle. Absorb is listed first and any new moves the baby inherits from the father would move the movelist up so that if the baby would inherit three moves Absorb will be lost. If, for example, the father would have known Poisonpowder instead of Headbutt than the baby would know the following moves after it hatched:

Tackle
False Swipe
Giga Drain
Spore

soggy_cardboard
3rd February 2004, 06:10 PM
Ok. I now have 2 Clefairy's.
A male + a female.

they both have the following moveset:
-Meteor Mash
-Metronome
-Cosmic Power
-Moonlight

if i breed em together, will the offspring have those same moves?

The Muffin Man
3rd February 2004, 09:27 PM
I believe so.

Don't Run With Scizors
3rd February 2004, 10:13 PM
Actually, since the offspring will be a Cleffa, only Metronome can be passed down. Level-up moves are only passed down if both parents have the moves and the baby is capable of learning it at its earliest stage. Cleffa can't learn Meteor Mash, Cosmic Power, or Moonlight.

soggy_cardboard
3rd February 2004, 10:38 PM
Is there any other way to get those moves on a new Clefable?

Don't Run With Scizors
3rd February 2004, 11:00 PM
Besides leveling up one yourself? Nope.

SuperSonic
4th February 2004, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure only the father needs to know the future move and the baby will have it.

Don't Run With Scizors
4th February 2004, 08:15 PM
I'm pretty sure only the father needs to know the future move and the baby will have it.

If that were true, then you could just breed two Gyarados with Hydro Pump and the baby Magikarp would get Hydro Pump. But it doesn't. =/

The Muffin Man
4th February 2004, 08:33 PM
Doesn't Cleffa learn them all? I could have sworn it did.

soggy_cardboard
5th February 2004, 12:01 AM
Cleffa can only learnt the following:
pound, charm, encore, sing , sweet kiss, + tms + breeding moves (including metronome) =(

*sigh*
oh well, thx anywayz...

SuperSonic
5th February 2004, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Don't Run With Scizors

If that were true, then you could just breed two Gyarados with Hydro Pump and the baby Magikarp would get Hydro Pump. But it doesn't. =/

but magikarp doesn't learn hydro pump. A pokemon can only learn a move that it can learn at another point in time, with the exception of egg moves which magikarp has none of.

soggy_cardboard
5th February 2004, 10:32 PM
Heh, hmmmm maybe i should train up my shiny persian, and another poke, beat the elites, breed em, and see what happens

XD

Rudoku
13th February 2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by SuperSonic
but magikarp doesn't learn hydro pump. A pokemon can only learn a move that it can learn at another point in time, with the exception of egg moves which magikarp has none of.

And Cleffa doesn't learn any of the Clefairy moves other than Metronome.:o

Don't Run With Scizors
13th February 2004, 07:34 PM

I believe that was the point I was trying to get across.

HedgeCat
18th February 2004, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by soggy_cardboard
Is there any other way to get those moves on a new Clefable?

Actually, I believe that if you breed the 2 before you beat the e4, you'll have a Clefairy with the moves.

Don't Run With Scizors
19th February 2004, 10:52 AM
Except that you can't do any breeding until after you beat the Elite Four. The breeding center is on Island 4, which isn't accessible until after you beat the Elite Four.