PDA

View Full Version : Characteristics

Ace Blaze
11th January 2003, 05:44 PM
Can anyone tell me what the new characteristics are? I know what Color Change, Can't Run, Battery, Sharkskin, and Raging Fire do, what what do ther others do?

soggy_cardboard
11th January 2003, 06:37 PM
cant run-enemies cant run away
sharkskin-each time u r hit w/ a psysical attack enemy loses hp
colour change- changes type to the type of attack that was last hit with
raging fire -as hp gets lower fire moves become more powerful
battery - ?

all these and heaps more are in this forum somewhere
just search it

Anifanatic10
11th January 2003, 06:40 PM
Kabuto Armor Will not recieve Critical Hits.
Flexible Will not become PAR.
Stolidity Will not become Attracted.
Immunization Will not become PSN.
Insomnia Will not be put to SLP.
My Pace Will not be Confused.
Magma Armor Will not become FRZ.
Water Veil Will not become BRNed.
Yaruki Will not SLP.
Shell Armor Will not recieve Critical Hits.
Stench It becomes difficult for wild Pokemon to approach.
Rain Sending If sent into battle, causes Rain.
Acceleration Gradually becomes faster.
Solid One hit KO moves are ineffective.
Moisture No one can use Moves on themselves.
Sand Fall During Sandstorm, EVADE rises.
Static Electricity When harmed, makes the enemy PAR.
Electro Storage Becomes healed when struck by Electric moves.
Reservoir Healed when hit by Water moves.
No Weather Weather effects vanish.
Compound Eyes Accuracy of its attacks increases.
Color Change Changes to the Type of the last move to hit it.
Sun Reception Becomes stronger when hit by Fire moves.
Scales Additional effects of Moves fail.
Suction Cup Holds the ground with suction cups.
Menace Lowers the enemy's Attack.
Hates Shadows The enemy becomes unable to flee.
Sharkskin When hurt, damages the enemy.
Mystery Protection Nothing but SuperEffective moves will hit.
Floating Ground type moves fail to hit.
Spore When harmed, puts spores on the enemy.
Synchro When PSN, PAR, or BRNed, duplicates this on the enemy.
Clear Body Its abilities can't be reduced by the enemy.
Nature Heal When withdrawn from battle, all Status is healed.
Lightning Rod All Electric moves come to this Pokemon.
Heaven's Blessing Additional effects from attacks happen more easily.
Smooth Swim When Raining, Speed increases.
Chlorophyll When Sunny, Speed increases.
Luminescence It becomes easier for wild Pokemon to approach.
Trance Matches the enemy's Characteristic.
Strongman Attack power is high.
Poison Thorn When it harms the enemy, it Poisons it as well.
Mind Power Cannot miss.
Magnetism Steel Types may not flee.
Soundproofing Sound moves don't work on it.
Rain Saucer When Raining, it is healed little by little.
Blow Sand In battle, causes a Sandstorm.
Pressure The enemy's PP reduces more easily.
Hot Grease Strong against Freezing.
Early Rising Wakes up quickly.
Fire Body When harmed, caused the enemy to be BRNed.
Run Away Easy to flee from battle.
Sharp Eye The enemy can't reduce this Pokemon's Accuracy.
Strength Basami The enemy can't reduce this Pokemon's Attack.
Find Stuff Picks up items.
Laziness Can not attack consecutively.
Needle Cutter Attack is high, but needles break easily...
"Attract" Body When harmed, makes the enemy Attracted.
Plus Becomes stronger if there is Minus.
Minus Becomes stronger if there is Plus.
Moody Powarun changes with the weather.
Adhesion Cannot hold items
Molting Heals its body by shedding skin.
Willpower Attack increases when it has a Status condition.
Mystery Scale Defense increases when it has a Status condition.
Liquid Sludge If HP is absorbed, from it, its physical strength lowers.*
Fresh Verdure In a pinch, Grass moves power up.
Raging Fire In a pinch, Fire moves become stronger.
Raging Stream In a pinch, Water moves power up.
Bug's Notice In a pinch, Bug moves power up.
Rock Head Takes no damage from recoil.
Dry Weather In battle, the Sun becomes stronger.
Antlion The enemy can't escape.
White Smoke The enemy can't reduce this Pokemon's stats.
Yoga Power Attack Power is high.
Noise Sound moves do not work on it.
Air Lock Weather effects vanish.

Cyber Dragon
11th January 2003, 06:45 PM
Great info, Anifanatic10!

Here (http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/pokemon_rs_tokusei.txt) is a site that details all the characteristics, its effects, and which pokemon has a certain characteristic.

Ace Blaze
11th January 2003, 07:11 PM
Wow, Anifanatic, I think you got all of them! Thanks, Cyber Dragon, for the link!

Don't Run With Scizors
12th January 2003, 12:20 AM
The Air-Lock and Adhesion descriptions are both wrong. My proof:

Adhesion: I caught two Grimers, both with different characteristics so that I could be sure that one of them was an Adhesion Grimer. I attached items to both, successfully, meaning Adhesion's effects can't be "Cannot hold items".

Air-Lock: I sent out my Kyogre in battle first, just to get the rain started, then sent out my Rekkuuza (with Air-Lock, of course).

The rain didn't stop.

I tried again with another Pok閙on using Sunny Day. Same result.

So I don't know what exactly these two characteristics do, but I know for certain neither of them does what we all think they do.

Cyber Dragon
12th January 2003, 12:55 AM
Uh, a pokemon can only have one characteristic at a time?

No! ... and I just figured this out. Sorry, still a n00b to this... but oh well.

Well, I'd obviously want my Starmie to have Nature Heal instead of a stupid Luminescence trait.

BTW, Airlock probably cancels out the OPPONENT's rain dance/sunny day/sand storm/hail storm. Not your own team's. Maybe to the programmers, it wouldn't make sense if you cancelled your own team's weather effect.

Ace Blaze
12th January 2003, 07:40 AM
Good point, Cyber. And you're pretty sharp, Scizor, but it might have been a glitch, or maybe adhesion cancels the effects of your opponent's item...?

Dark Sage
12th January 2003, 07:56 AM
I believe that Airlock has no effect in a battle. What it does is, when the pokemon is in your team, and you enter an area where the weather is bad, the bad weather clears up. Anyway, I would think that Kyorge's powers are superior to anyone else's.

And incidently, I'm a little confused about the Suctioncup characteristic. You say it enables the pokemon to "hang on to the ground tight." Exactly how does that benefit (or hinder) the pokemon?

Oh, and you got one wrong. The Laziness characteristic means that the Pokemon cannot use the same attack twice in a row. It has no benefit, yes, but only two obtainable pokemon have this characteristic (I forget their name, these Japenese names are so confusing). And, I might add, when this pokemon reaches its final evolutionary form, its Stats rival that of many Legendaries (except Special Attack, but thats okay, because it really doesn't use it anyway, because it only learns physical attacks), so its an even trade-off.

If Snorlax ever shows up in this game, it would not surprise me if he had the Laziness characteristic; knowing him, he's probably have a second one that is beneficial, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, gee, where ARE my manners? The name's Venusaur, and I'm new here. Glad to meet you.

- Venusaur

Azura Stardust
12th January 2003, 08:27 AM
Suctioncup: once sent out you cannot be switched out until you faint, and you cannot be Roared / WWed

Dave
12th January 2003, 09:55 AM
Venusaur, you're wrong about Laziness - Laziness lets you use a move, wait a turn, use a move, wait a turn. I should know, I trained a Namakero.

And i'd assume Adhesion (which means, erm, sticking) would cause an opponents held item to stick to Grimer/Muk when it tries to attack, so either it stops the opponent using held items, or it steals them.

Dark Sage
12th January 2003, 04:00 PM
My mistake; I guess I was misinformed. (I don't have the games yet; I can't read Japanese, and with my really tight budget, I didn't want to waste money both buying the games from Japan AND paying the outrageous overseas shipping cost, just to play it "blind" and then spend more money five month later to get the American version. So I'm just gonna wait until March 17th.)

But like I said (and as you should know, as you trained a Namakero), Namakero's stats rival those of certain Legends; its a VERY strong pokemon, so having the Laziness Characteristic is an even trade-off.

- Venusaur

Don't Run With Scizors
13th January 2003, 10:54 PM
Eureka! I've finally discovered exactly what Airlock does!

Turns out that while it does NOT prevent weather moves from occurring, it prevents all effects of weather moves from being applied to Rekkuuza. For example:

- While Sandstorm\Hailstorm is in effect, Rekkuuza isn't hurt by the storm's effects.

- Thunder doesn't get boosted to 100% accuracy against Rekuuza, I believe. Likewise, I doubt that he'd get the boost using it himself (this applies with Sunny Day's effects, as well).

More to come as I continue research on the subject.

Namakero's stats rival those of certain Legends; its a VERY strong pokemon, so having the Laziness Characteristic is an even trade-off.

Actually, that's Namakero's final evolution, Kekking. But the trade-off is even made better since you can have a partner Skill Swap the characteristic off him and give him a better characteristic in return. It's just one of Game Freak's Pok閙on that are powerful, but require skill to use (unlike the Curselax of GSC, which any idiot could use).

Suctioncup: once sent out you cannot be switched out until you faint, and you cannot be Roared / WWed

The Roar\Whirlwind part is correct, but I'm unsure about not being able to switch it out yourself...

Scythemantis
14th January 2003, 12:07 PM
I'd like to know exactly what adhesion does since Muk is one of my favorites (that I juggle with weezing in my team all the time)... I was hoping Stench would be something useful, just because I like the concept.

Don't Run With Scizors
14th January 2003, 03:03 PM
Stench only prevents the wild critters from approaching.

As for Adhesion, it apparently is more useful than "unable to hold items". Apparently it prevents the bearer from having an item stolen from them.

Scythemantis
14th January 2003, 03:57 PM
I kinda figured from the name that would be the case (I knew what stench did already, I meant I was hoping it was useful back when I only knew the names of them :( )

Is stealing even really a problem? I can't think of too many stealing moves... Darn, I guess I'll be using Weezing a lot more after all. :)

rinku
14th January 2003, 04:05 PM
Yeah, I had a go at translating Adhesion and I thought it came out as "Its item cannot be stolen".

The original Japanese (in romaji) is:

"Nenchaku: Dougu o torarenai."

Madelyn151
14th January 2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Venusaur
If Snorlax ever shows up in this game, it would not surprise me if he had the Laziness characteristic; knowing him, he's probably have a second one that is beneficial, but we'll just have to wait and see.

laziness would totally make sense... but his characteristic is immunity (can't be poisoned).

Dark Sage
14th January 2003, 09:26 PM
Immunity does make sense for Snorlax.... but couldn't he have both?

- Venusaur

rinku
14th January 2003, 10:37 PM
One tokusei per particular pok閙on. Like Gender - some are male, some are female and some are neuter, but none are both.

I believe Snorlax can have either Blubber or Immunity.

Ace Blaze
15th January 2003, 01:59 PM
No, some Pokemon have two characteristics (I think).

Chrisodeo
15th January 2003, 03:45 PM
Immunity does make sense for Snorlax.... but couldn't he have both?

Actually, Immunity makes perfect sense. If you translate one of the pokedex entries, it says that it never gets sick from what it eats, no matter how old the food. But there can only be one tokusei per pokemon. You cannot have a Raiboruto with Lightning Rod and Static Electricity, for example. Or a Snorlax that is immune to Burning, Poison, and Freezing.

Dark Sage
15th January 2003, 04:55 PM
I've seen some pokemon with two charateristics.

For example, there's that new Poison type that looks like its related to Grimer (I forget the name; stupid confusing Japanese names!). It (and its evolved form) has both Adhesion and Liquid Sludge.

Another example is the Saanaito family; all three of them have both Syncro and Trance (in fact, I believe they are the only ones that have Trance, unless you know of any).

And by the way, I said that Immunity DOES make sense for Snorlax; I know about its iron stomach.

- Venusaur

Chrisodeo
15th January 2003, 05:13 PM
I must have misread the Snorlax post. Anyway, a pokemon can only have one tokusei. It may seem like they can have two at a time, but they can only have one per pokemon. It's built into their genes or something. You can't have a Stench + Adhesion Muk or a Synchronize + Trance Saanito. It's just not possible.

[EDIT] Addition: 'Characteristics' (1) takes too long to type, and (2) isn't even the confirmed name. They may just be called PokePowers! Until I see the confirmed name as 'characteristics', I will continue calling them tokusei.

Dark Sage
15th January 2003, 05:35 PM
Chisodeo, look...

I don't want to get into any arguements here...

But when Serebii's website was still working, he had a section that explained characteristics (this is America, speak English, quit calling them "tokuseis"!), and he first said that all characteristics were ALWAYS the same for EVERY species of pokemon, that no matter WHAT Marill you caught it would ALWAYS have Hot Grease, , no matter WHAT Nosupazu you catch it would ALWAYS have Rock-Head, no matter WHAT Jigga... Jig... raccoon-thing you caught it would ALWAYS have Gather, and so on! CHARACTERISTICS ARE SET AND UNCHANGEABLE!!!

FURTHERMORE, he listed the characteristics that every obtainable pokemon had. His list said that Rarutosu and both its evolution havr Syntho AND Trance, it said that Gokurin and its evolution have Adhesion AND Liquid Sludge, and there were MANY more that had two characteristics!

Now, given all the information that Serebii had on his website, I'm more inclined to believe him than you. And I WILL. Sorry.

- Venusaur

RyuukoAremi
15th January 2003, 05:53 PM
You're wrong. A pokemon may get EITHER of the two characteristics. A Runpappa may have Rain Saucer OR Swim Smoothly, but NOT BOTH. Likewise, Snorlax can have Blubber OR Immunity, but NOT BOTH. I repeat: NOT BOTH.

EDIT: And Serebii posted that information before the freakin' game even came out. It was a GUESS.

rinku
15th January 2003, 08:11 PM
Venusaur, my understanding was that you are not actually playing the game, since you don't want to break the law playing on an emulator, and can't read Japanese anyway - why don't you listen to those of us that are actually playing the game and noting our observations?

Yes, many species of pok閙on have more than one tokusei available to them. I have both a Rozeria with "Natural Healing" and one with "Poison Thorn". But I can assure you that the former has not yet poisoned any attacker, and the latter has not yet healed a status condition when switched out.

"When Serebii's site was working" was WEEKS ago. I'm sorry if he had incomplete information, but we've moved on since then. How many hours of play on Ruby and Sapphire have you put in? I'm up to about 50 hours, myself.

I'm sure that there may still be aspects of tokusei that we have yet to learn (I'm researching how they work in breeding at the moment), but the follwing are verified facts:

Each individual pok閙on has one of it's species available tokusei.
These do not change, though some evolutions have different tokusei than their earlier forms.
Some tokusei that a species may have are rarer within that species than the other.
There appear to be one or two possible tokusei per species.

I will continue to use the term "Tokusei" until the official term is verified. You are incorrect that "this is America". I am not American, I have never visited America, and I reserve the right to use direct Japanese words when discussing a game only yet available IN Japanese.

Ii des' ne?

Dark Sage
15th January 2003, 09:42 PM
Rinku -

According to your profile, you aren't Japanese either. And unless my memory fails me, they still speak English in Australia, don't they?

Don't take that as an insult. Australia is a great place. Went there myself once; the Sydney Opera House puts on a great show. And the food in that city... it is to DIE for.

Look, I'm sorry I got mad, but these know-it-alls who really know nothing just get my goat sometimes. On another thread at another website there was this idiot who credited the phrase "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven," to the Queen Bohemian Rhapsody. Boy did he get a nasty PM.

I'll try to keep my temper in the future.

- Venusaur

rinku
15th January 2003, 10:45 PM
Rinku -

According to your profile, you aren't Japanese either. And unless my memory fails me, they still speak English in Australia, don't they?

Sure. But I took umbrage to you asserting that this forum and its members were American. And how can you tell I'm not Japanese from my profile? It only says that I live in Australia. You are very big on assumptions, Venusaur.* Would you like to assume where I got my handle from? You'd be wrong.

Tokusei is the only verified offical name for the things that I know, so I'll continue to use it for clarity. I don't expect everyone to do so - "characteristic" is an accurate translation.

When the game is released in English, we can stop using Japanese terms (I'll be more than happy to do so), but until then I'm afraid you'll just have to put up with it.

(*As it happens, I'm anglo, but I do speak some Japanese and I'm a student of their culture)

Azura Stardust
16th January 2003, 03:20 AM
Rinku -

Look, I'm sorry I got mad, but these know-it-alls who really know nothing just get my goat sometimes.
- Venusaur

That's the biggest statement of hypocrisy I've ever seen in my entire life.

Look. You are acting TOTALLY stupid and making TOTAL fun of yourself, because YOU are being a know-it-all and you HAVEN'T EVEN PLAYED THE FRIGGIN' GAME.

It's 935938620496843206943094386% confirmed and SURE that pokemon CAN have A CHOICE two traits. It's just ONE OR THE OTHER. LIKE you can catch different pokemon which may hold different items but are STILL the same pokemon, you can catch one Rarutosu with Trance and another Rarutosu with Synchro - you just need to be lucky. And if you refute this, I'm going to laugh until all my inner organs spill out, grow arms, don boxing gloves and hit you where it hurts.

AND about calling tokuseis tokuseis, PLEASE STOP THINKING POKEMASTERS.NET AND ITS FORUMS ARE AMERICAN BOARDS. SURE, Kevin is American. SURE, the board is registered in America. But I'm a mod, I can check IPs of people who are online by going to "Who's Online". And I can confirm that this board is not 100% American. Hell, I'm willing to wager that even 75% of this board is not american. 60% MIGHT be more like it. I'M from Singapore. Peeps here ARE influenced by Japanese culture. And so is a rather sizeable portion of members here. People here can bloody well use japanese if they want.

The most important point is Ruby/Sapphire is still in Japanese, so really the most correct term to use IS - what did you know, it's "tokusei".

I really shouldn't get mad at you. Instead, I should be laughing my *** off at you. :rolleyes:

By the way, if you really continue on this vein to show absolute superiority over everyone else, mods or normal members or new people or veterans or WHOEVER, you might just go the way Modern Casualty did. I wouldn't be surprised if you were him, actually.

Ace Blaze
16th January 2003, 01:43 PM
Wow, this is getting a bit heated... well, I'm pretty sure it's getting cleared up. I did some research on GameFAQs, and I've found a complete list of tokuseis (did I spell it right?). What I now don't get is the tokuseis the blue and red Pichu's have.

Azura Stardust
17th January 2003, 01:55 AM
Purasaru and Mainan's characteristics only work with each other. Basically if you have one of both battling at the same time in 2vs2, they "become stronger". How much stronger, though, I really don't know.

Dr_Omicron
17th January 2003, 10:51 PM
According to the GameFAQs message board, Plusser gets x1.5 offensive powers and Minen gets x1.5 defensive powers.

Madelyn151
18th January 2003, 04:39 PM
bottom line : some pokemon have a CHOICE of two characteristics. they can get one OR they can get the other. there's no such thing as a raibolt that has both lightning rod and static electricity.

but this was mostly meant for dr_omicron's sig XP 1. it's way too long o_O 2. if "team misfit" is for rby... PLEASE tell me i'm NOT seeing starmie and chansey on it. please tell me that.

Dark Sage
18th January 2003, 05:13 PM
Yeah, and why do you consider Marrowak, Aerodactyl, and Magneton "misfits"?

Marrowak is an excellent pokemon when going up against Electrict types, and its moves are quite strong; Magneton can learn some powerful Electric attacks, and its Steel type makes it difficult to hurt, and Aerodactyl's arsenal is a practical swiss army knife, containig a Flying attack, a Dark attack, a Rock attack, Hyper Beam, and it can learn Fly and some quite potent TMs.

And I agree with Madelyn about Starmie and Chancey. Starmie's arsenal includes such useful and lethal moves as Recover, Swift, Bubblebeam, and Hydro Pump (so long as you don't use a Water Stone until it reaches Level 50. It can learn all three "water" HMs, and such deadly TMs as Psychic, Blizzard, Thunder, and Zap Cannon. Plus, the Move Tutor can teach it both Ice Bam and Thunderbolt.

As for Chancey, sure, it's Attack and Defence scores stink, but its HP total is through the roof. Furthermore, it has defencive powers that a whole team can benefit from, like Sing and Light Screen, not to mention it's excellent Softboiled ability that can heal the whole team in a crisis (the Nurse Joy family doesn't employ them for nothing. Furthermore, on the TM front, its less a matter of which TMs a Chancey can learn, and more a matter of the ones she can't looking at my manual for Crystal, Chancey can learn all TMs except Roar, Sweet Scent, Giga Drain, Dragonbreath, Earthquake, Dig, Ice Punch, Sludge Bomb, Swift, Thunderpunch, Detect, Thief, Steel Wing, Fire Punch, Fury Cutter, and Nightmare (and I suppose the only reason she can't learn THOSE is because she doesn't have fists (for Thunderpunch, Fire Punch, Ice Punch), or wings (for Steel Wing), or claws (for Fury Cutter), and if she did the others, she'd look ridiculous). She also can learn Flash and Strength, and she can learn ALL THREE of the Move Tutor's moves!

I rest my case.

- Venusaur

Cyber Dragon
18th January 2003, 05:20 PM
... :rolleyes:

Let Dr_Omicron define 'misfit', not anyone else. It's just a team name.

Rei_Zero
18th January 2003, 06:13 PM
WE ARE PEOPLE VENUSAUR. We have opinions. Some think some pokemon are misfits and some don't. Some don't like chansey and starmie because they are kinda cheap. You are not god. You do not decide our fates, likings, etc. You have not played the game. I have. I got a pokemon which, if you were right, had solid and rock head. However, I did get recoil damage from using take down. Isn't rock head supposed to stop recoil?? Oh yeah. Of course it doesn't have rock head because your pokemon only has one characteristic. Serebii has been down for like 4 months. He can't upload new information because the site is down. What makes you think that he hasn't discovered some more things. What makes you think he is not wrong. (I hope you don't take this personally Serebii)

Feelingsad
18th January 2003, 06:29 PM
Getting back on topic, I have a some questions about some characteristics..

Static Electricity When harmed, makes the enemy PAR. <-- how often?
Electro Storage Becomes healed when struck by Electric moves. <-- How much?
Compound Eyes Accuracy of its attacks increases. <-- how much?
Sharkskin When hurt, damages the enemy. <-- Again, how much?
Clear Body Its abilities can't be reduced by the enemy. <-- Stops haze?
Smooth Swim When Raining, Speed increases. <-- How much?
Strongman Attack power is high. <-- How high?
Rain Saucer When Raining, it is healed little by little. <-- And yet again, how much?
Find Stuff Picks up items. <-- does it do anything in battle?
Needle Cutter Attack is high, but needles break easily... <-- ..?
Liquid Sludge If HP is absorbed, from it, its physical strength lowers.* <-- ..?
Yoga Power Attack Power is high. <-- how high?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide..
Have a nice day.

Rei_Zero
18th January 2003, 06:35 PM
No. I think Haze would still work. It is just that the opponent can't growl or screech him. Any stat boosters he uses on himself still works.

Azura Stardust
18th January 2003, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Feelingsad
Getting back on topic, I have a some questions about some characteristics..

Static Electricity When harmed, makes the enemy PAR. <-- how often?
10% - 20% I think
Electro Storage Becomes healed when struck by Electric moves. <-- How much?
Prolly 1 lvl
Sharkskin When hurt, damages the enemy. <-- Again, how much?
Recoil of 8%? Im not too sure
Clear Body Its abilities can't be reduced by the enemy. <-- Stops haze?
Dont think so
Smooth Swim When Raining, Speed increases. <-- How much?
Prolly 1 lvl
Strongman Attack power is high. <-- How high?
Prolly 1 lvl increase at beginning of battle
Rain Saucer When Raining, it is healed little by little. <-- And yet again, how much?
nope (unless you count what DRWS said)
Needle Cutter Attack is high, but needles break easily... <-- ..?
Liquid Sludge If HP is absorbed, from it, its physical strength lowers.* <-- ..?
Yoga Power Attack Power is high. <-- how high?
See Strongman.
Thanks in advance for any assistance you may provide..
Have a nice day.

Don't Run With Scizors
18th January 2003, 06:58 PM

By 50%. Meaning, a Butterfree's Sleep Powder has an accuracy of 100%.

Probably heals like Leftovers does; 6.25% each turn.

If the bearer has no item, it picks up random ones during battle.

Madelyn151
18th January 2003, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by Feelingsad

nope. :( too bad.

Needle Cutter Attack is high, but needles break easily...

attack +, accuracy -. from what i've heard anyway.

and what i meant in "team misfit" is that, well, teams named like that are usually underused teams. and in rby, chansey and starmie are, well, light years away from underused. they're also really popular in gsc too (well, at least blissey is, instead of chansey)... and if it's for gsc, there's marowak. and he's DEFINITELY not underused. o_O;

Ace Blaze
18th January 2003, 07:13 PM
For Needle Cutter, is it specific for needle attacks (Pin Missile, Twin Needle)? Also, "needles break easily", it doesn't make sense if the accuracy is lowered....

Chrisodeo
18th January 2003, 08:41 PM
It's most likely a mistranslation about Needle Cutter. It definitely has Atk + & Acc -. I've a few questions of my own.

Stench It becomes difficult for wild Pokemon to approach. - If a pokemon has this, does it work like Repel, or is it like a no-wild-battle code? Also, any in-battle effects?

Moisture No one can use Moves on themselves. - Is this like the Taunt move? Or just stat-upping moves (Recover, Agility, etc)?

Sand Fall During Sandstorm, EVADE rises. - Every turn, or just once? Does the evasion mod last the whole battle? And is it activated every time Sandstorm is used?

Sun Reception Becomes stronger when hit by Fire moves. - How much? (This wasn't answered before)

Spore When harmed, puts spores on the enemy. - How often? Only physical attacks? And what effects?

Heaven's Blessing Additional effects from attacks happen more easily. - How much more easily? (I'm assuming 10%)

Chlorophyll When Sunny, Speed increases. - Every turn? If not, every time the move is used? And does Speed boost disappear with weather?

Luminescence It becomes easier for wild Pokemon to approach. - Like a natural Sweet Scent? Any in-battle effects?

Mind Power Cannot miss. - Wrong. Prevents flinching. Not a question, but a correction.

Early Rising Wakes up quickly. - How much more often?

"Attract" Body When harmed, makes the enemy Attracted. - Again, how often? And, just physical attacks?

Mystery Scale Defense increases when it has a Status condition. - Which ones? Attract & confusion along with Plz, Psn, Frz, & Brn?

Yoga Power Attack Power is high. - Are you sure it's Attack? Looks like Special Attack. Might want to double-check that.

Azura Stardust
19th January 2003, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Chrisodeo
It's most likely a mistranslation about Needle Cutter. It definitely has Atk + & Acc -. I've a few questions of my own.

Stench It becomes difficult for wild Pokemon to approach. - If a pokemon has this, does it work like Repel, or is it like a no-wild-battle code? Also, any in-battle effects?

-:\ maybe it's something like a repel that works part of the time?

Moisture No one can use Moves on themselves. - Is this like the Taunt move? Or just stat-upping moves (Recover, Agility, etc)?

-whee

Sand Fall During Sandstorm, EVADE rises. - Every turn, or just once? Does the evasion mod last the whole battle? And is it activated every time Sandstorm is used?

-Hi

Sun Reception Becomes stronger when hit by Fire moves. - How much? (This wasn't answered before)

-I'd like to know, because my Vulpix has SunReception.

Spore When harmed, puts spores on the enemy. - How often? Only physical attacks? And what effects?

-Around 10% of the time, and not only physical attacks, I experimented with Kinogassa. Spores in question = make the opponent either fall asleep, get paralyzed or poison. Dunno about burn and frz, I think not

Heaven's Blessing Additional effects from attacks happen more easily. - How much more easily? (I'm assuming 10%)

-Twice more often. So a Dunsparce that has Angel Blessing and uses Headbutt flinches 60% of the time! And so Ice beam freezes 20% of the time, Tri Attack inflicts stuff 20% of the time, and so on.

Chlorophyll When Sunny, Speed increases. - Every turn? If not, every time the move is used? And does Speed boost disappear with weather?

-;.;

Luminescence It becomes easier for wild Pokemon to approach. - Like a natural Sweet Scent? Any in-battle effects?

-I don't think so.

Mind Power Cannot miss. - Wrong. Prevents flinching. Not a question, but a correction.

Early Rising Wakes up quickly. - How much more often?

-Well, apparently with that chara, you only sleep for ONE TURN. Therefore if you use rest, you will sleep, but only for 1 turn!

"Attract" Body When harmed, makes the enemy Attracted. - Again, how often? And, just physical attacks?

-I believe either 50% or 100% of the time when you attack that pokemon with any attack, you get attracted.... Not entirely sure

Mystery Scale Defense increases when it has a Status condition. - Which ones? Attract & confusion along with Plz, Psn, Frz, & Brn?

-I think not attract and confusion

Yoga Power Attack Power is high. - Are you sure it's Attack? Looks like Special Attack. Might want to double-check that.

-Les shruggos.

Serebii of SPP
19th January 2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by Rei_Zero
Serebii has been down for like 4 months. He can't upload new information because the site is down. What makes you think that he hasn't discovered some more things. What makes you think he is not wrong. (I hope you don't take this personally Serebii)

1. Not even 2 months yet :-p
2. I can still update the pages as I go along
3. I have discovered loads of new things (well, not as many as I want)
4. I dont think I am wrong with most characteristics...maybe like 2, but no more

Ace Blaze
19th January 2003, 07:37 AM
Hey, Serebii, when do you think you'll be able to get Serebii.net back to working condition?

Rei_Zero
19th January 2003, 11:41 AM
I meant as whole. Like you were up for one week twice but in total you've been down for...
Oh well. Glad to know that when it does go back up we will have tons of good stuff on.

Dr_Omicron
19th January 2003, 06:04 PM
Oh well. I guess someone trimmed it down. I was planning to get rid of it when February 1st came around anyway. No big deal.

Anyway, I never heard of the word "misfit" being used in that way. Generally, it was made long ago, during the RBY days. Why did I call it "Team Misfits"? Well, there are a few reasons.

1. Most people who play Pok閙on that I've known never make more than one team of Level-100's, if they have the patience to make one in the first place. Since they were part of the SECOND team, they were Misfits in that they didn't fit in with the first-teamers that everyone else has.

2. The first team consists of the three RB starters, Pikachu (a Raichu now), which could be called a starter, Hitmonlee, and Mewtwo, both of which were one-of-a-kind in RBY. There was a theme to that, and that since I was playing Yellow, they were all unique. The next team, Starmie, Magneton, Venomoth, Aerodactyl, Chansey, and Marowak, has nearly nothing in common, and therefore each never belonged with anyone else and were therefore misfits. But it's lost its meaning since, because all of the other teams to come after this one has no theme either.

3. It was the first word that popped up in my head. This is what usually decides the name. If I had thought of "marshmallows", I'd call it "Team Marshmallow". If I was thinking of Santa Claus, I'd name it "Team Santa Claus".

RyuukoAremi
19th January 2003, 06:24 PM
I have a question about 'Menace'. Does only the opponent's physical attack go down, or both phys and special attack?

Madelyn151
19th January 2003, 07:22 PM
Les shruggos.

encogimiento de hombros. =P and les isn't a definite/indefinite article in spanish, it's an indirect pronoun (i think that's what they're called)... and... erm... yeah. i assume you're trying to imitate spanish.

...and so this isn't TOTALLY off-topic...

menace only lowers the opponent's attack.

i think moisture is just stat-upping moves. and they can probably still use recover. darn. :( if you use swagger on an opponent and your pokemon has moisture, does their attack increase (politoed gets that, if you were wondering.)?

the spores/emission characteristic can't cause the opponent to be burned or frozen.

stench doesn't work in-battle. neither does luminescence.

mindpower means that your pokemon cannot be flinched. if it meant that you couldn't miss, well, ONIGOORI used ABSOLUTE ZERO! EVERYBODY used BAN! MADELYN used WHINE because every ICE type she hates eventually gets OVERUSED!

i think the attractive body characteristic means 100% of the time. are stolidity pokemon immune to it? i a-s-s/u/me so.

Charizard
19th January 2003, 08:12 PM
On Meowth's site, he said the moisture prevents both side from using Explosion...

rinku
19th January 2003, 08:54 PM
The term "Shimerike" does translate as "Moisture", but it could possibly be another term, or the context might be different.

Possibly the english translation would more accurately be "Dampen", given the effect?

Azura Stardust
20th January 2003, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Madelyn151
encogimiento de hombros. =P and les isn't a definite/indefinite article in spanish, it's an indirect pronoun (i think that's what they're called)... and... erm... yeah. i assume you're trying to imitate spanish.

但是我知道华文,你完全不会啊!我只是模范Spani sh而已。。。

to view that you need to set the encoding. Whatever :< I don't learn spanish, silly, I learn chinese and I know some Japanese. ^_~

And les shruggos to you too!...

I think the stolidity pokemon are immune to the attractive body trait...

and Serebii, I think Venusaur was referring to your site BEFORE it went down, and it had some pre-game info here and there, so he thought it was right.

I still don't get that needle characteristic, tho.

Madelyn151
20th January 2003, 11:48 AM
I still don't get that needle characteristic, tho.

according to pokemon forever, your attacks do 1.5x the damage, but your average accuracy is around 80%...