PDA

View Full Version : Open challenge, ref needed.

Soneko
8th February 2004, 03:18 PM
Eh, I have an open slot, and I felt like having a 2 vs. 2 (at the same time...) battle. So...

2 vs. 2, two at a time.
I choose first, you attack first.
DQ one week.
Banned- Attract, Rest.

Arena
A large field of grass. The arena basically ends where the grass turns into mud. There are a few short, stubby tree's sticking out here and there.
High above the field a flock of Pidgey, Spearow and Pidgeotto fly. If angered, they will swoop down and attack for 10%. They arent angered too easily though.

I will choose Timber, my female Chikorita, and Force, my male Poliwhirl.

Indecent Exposure
8th February 2004, 03:22 PM
I'll ref if you like.

LightNinetales
8th February 2004, 03:24 PM
I'll choose a female Bagon named Dawn and a male Gastly named Nothing.

Dawn:
You'll use Flamethrower on Timber,then Dragonbreath(Timber) and finally Dragonbreath(Force).
If Timber or Force uses Toxic,you'll use Protect.

Nothing:

Toxic(Timber),then Toxic(Force) and finally Sludge Bomb(Timber).

Soneko
8th February 2004, 03:38 PM
I dont mind you reffing.

Alright. Timber, lets take care of status effects... set up a Safeguard. Follow up with a Double Team. Then Solarbeam Dawn.

Okay, Force. Use a Psychic to grip Dawn and choke him, dont let him attack. Follow up with a Double Team. And finally, Hypnosis Nothing to sleep.

Timber-
Safeguard - Double Team - Solarbeam (Dawn)

Force-
Psychic (Dawn) - Double Team - Hypnosis (Nothing

Indecent Exposure
9th February 2004, 01:48 PM
Would have had this up yesterday, but my internet was being stupid.

Shidorah vs. LightNinetales
Round 1
Timber the Chikorita (F) & Force the Poliwhirl (M) vs. Dawn the Bagon (F) & Nothing the Gastly (M)

Chikorita: 100%: Safeguard -=- Double Team -=- Solarbeam (Bagon)
Poliwhirl: 100%: Psychic (Bagon) -=- Double Team -=- Hypnosis (Gastly)
Bagon: 100%: Flamethrower (Chikorita) -=- Dragonbreath (Chikorita) -=- Dragonbreath (Poliwhirl)
Gastly: 100%: Toxic (Chikorita) -=- Toxic (Poliwhirl) -=- Sludge Bomb (Chikorita)
-----
Two trainers stand at opposite ends of a large field filled with lush green grass, and they thrown out their two Pokeballs each. At one end a Chikorita and Poliwhirl are released, at the other, a Bagon and Gastly. The four Pokemon take a couple of steps closer to each other, and the battle begins.

The team of Bagon and Gastly attempt to get their attacks in first, with Bagon leaping forward and opening his mouth wide to blast a huge flamethrower towards the prone Chikorita, who is busy setting up a barrier of sorts, which doesn't seem to prevent the flamethrower from burning the poor grass-type Pokemon, and the long grass around it sets alight and Chikorita is engulphed in flames. Meanwhile the Bagon has been gripped by an invisible force as falls to the ground choking, hardly able to move. Gastly now takes it's first attack of the battle, sendign a blob of purple goo towards the flame covered Chikorita, which only further increases the flames - which have slowly began spreading accross the field. Chikorita however steps out of the flame confidently with bearly a scratch on it, although seems as though it's already in need of a break, with beads of sweat falling down it's face. Poliwhirl sees Chikorita in a little distress, so moves over to it's partner. After a quick nod of approval between the two, both simultainiously clone themselves with now four of both Poliwhirl and Chikorita standing tall in front of their opponents. Bagon, who has sicne been released from the psychic grip which covered it earlier fires a hopeful Dragonbreath attacks towards the group of opposing clones, instantly destroying two Chikorita clones, but having no luck damaging the original. Gastly, who is equally as angered as his team-mate by the fact their opponents seem to be getting the advantage, wildly fires a huge - but thin - toic attack towards the large group of Pokemon ahead of it, instantly destroyign the 3 Poliwhirl clones, and the remainign Chikorita clone. The toxic also hits both Chikorita and Poliwhirl, and although the thin blob of purple goo slips off of Chikorita, it seems to take permenant residence on Poliwhirl's stomach. The attack may not do too much damage, but the covering of the Poliwhirl's main source of psychic ability is anythign but good news for its trainer. Poliwhirl however continues confidentally, and starts staring at the Gastly, with the whirl on its stomach obviously spinnign round, however it is barely visible through the toxic and merely causes a minor daze for Gastly. Poliwhirl is in obvious distress about it's attack failing, and in this moment of confusion, Bagon takes advantage firing a powerful Dragonbreath at the water Pokemon, knocking it backwards to within inches of the the advancing flame behind it. Meanwhile, Chikorita has been charging up a Solar beam and prepares to unleash the attack towards the opposing Bagon. Gastly suddenly snaps out of it's daze and notices what could some come to be, so fires a weaker than hoped sludge bomb towards the charging Chikorita, knocking it back just as it was about to fire the solar beam, causing the beam to fire off wildly into the air. The Pokemon take a quick rest knowing the rest of the battle wont be easy after such a grueling first round. However we suddenyl see a small Pidgey fall almost dead to the ground, it seems that the solar beam managed to make full contact with something at least! The four battling Pokemon slowly glare up and see a flock of Pidgey and a few Pidgeotto swooping down pecking wildly at the battlers. Gastly seems to escape any real damage as the Pidgeys miss the ghost Pokemon entirely, however the other three Pokemon take a battering. It i only the presence of the ever increasing flame - that has now attacked itself to one of the smaller trees, causing a small flameball to appear in the middle of the arena - that scares the bird Pokemon away. Finally the four battlers get a chance to rest, although Poliwhirl and Chikorita had better be careful as they are being encircled by the fire, and may want to get out of there soon.
-----
Chikorita: 68% Safeguard in effect for 1 more round
Poliwhirl: 76% Slightly poisoned
Bagon: 82%
Gastly: 98%

Shidorah to attack first

Soneko
9th February 2004, 02:40 PM
I dun get how toxic hit all those clones AND Poliwhirl... geh.

Force, good job, keep it up. Start by using a Rain Dance. This should help weaken the flames. Afterwards use a Mind Reader on Bagon. End it by using a Fissure on Bagon.

Timber, you're doing well. Start by using a Synthesis. Then use Giga Drain on Bagon. A finally, use an Ancientpower on Nothing.

Indecent Exposure
9th February 2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Shidorah
I dun get how toxic hit all those clones AND Poliwhirl... geh.

Due to the Pokemon both being together when they double teamed, the clones were forced into more than one row of Pokemon. And also the toxic was very widely spread out, but very thin, so although it managed to hit everything there the damage it will do each round is minimal.

LightNinetales
10th February 2004, 01:37 PM
Dawn:Don't let this Chikorita use her Synthesis!Dragon Claw.Then,you'll use Dragonbreath on Timber,and finally you'll use Protect to avoid that Fissure attack!

Nothing:When the rain starts to fall,you have to use Thunder.Your second move will be Toxic(on Timber).Then,you'll use Thunder again.

Indecent Exposure
11th February 2004, 01:08 PM
Round 2
Timber the Chikorita (F) & Force the Poliwhirl (M) vs. Dawn the Bagon (F) & Nothing the Gastly (M)

Chikorita: 68% Safeguard in effect for 1 more round: Synthesis -=- Giga Drain (Bagon) -=- Anicent Power (Gastly)
Poliwhirl: 76% Slightly poisoned: Rain Dance -=- Mind Reader (Bagon) -=- Fissure (Bagon)
Bagon: 82%: Dragon Claw (Chikorita) -=- Dragonbreath (Chikorita) -=- Protect
Gastly: 98%: Thunder -=- Toxic (Chikorita) -=- Thunder
-----
It's a desperate situation early on for the team of Chikorita and Poliwhirl, with them half surrounded by a spreading fire, and also being down in the health department. Bagon and Gastly, obviously far more confident than their opponents now, however Poliwhirl has different ideas. It looks to the skies, and clouds seem to suddenly appear in the earlier clear-blue skies. A few drops of rain fall to the ground, before it truly starts pouring down. The fire surrounding the two Pokemon is soon put out, and Poliwhirl is shocked to see the toxic on its stomach being quite easily washed off too (although there's still some left). Chikoriota takes this time to use its synthesis attack to heal itself, but has left itself open to attack, and due to the clouds above, the amount of synlight isn't helping much. Bagon soon runs towards the grass Pokemon slashing wildley with its dragon claw attack. Fortunatly for Chikorita, synthesis took effect and healed the Pokemon a little, but the dragon claw literally took the health right back off, and more too. Not really thinking, Gastly prepares a thunder attack, aimed directly at its opponents, and unfortunatly for Gastly, its partner too. The three Pokemon look up to see numerous bolts of lighting firing down towards them. All three are damaged somewhat, Bagon moreso than its opponents. In an attempt to redeem itself, Gastly gets in there quickly after the thunder has subsided and fires a toxic attack at Chikorita, who is knocked back as the poison attaches itself to its helpless body. Chikorita seems drained, and so moves over to Bagon (who is still down) and begins draining its energy. Bagon attempts to scare it off with a Dragonbreath, but the attack does little damage, as it is very weak. Poliwhirl meanwhile is staring directly at the prone Bagon, who is slowly getting to its feet. Suddenly the ground begisn to crack and the crack is headed directly towards Bagon with amazing accuracy. Bagon seems it coming and tries to protect itself, but its far too weak at the moment for that and the attack is a complete success. Chikorita, who is also in a bad state, conjures up the energy to use an ancient power attack on Gastly, which gives the ghost Pokemon its first real amaount of damage, knocking it to the ground. Gastly, in retaliation, uses another thunder attack across the whole arena. It seems even more devastating than the last, causing damage to all four Pokemon, and knocking them all down.
-----
Chikorita: 63% Badly poisoned
Poliwhirl: 65% Slightly poisoned
Bagon: 42% In desperate need of a rest
Gastly: 80% Very angry

LightNinetales to attack first

LightNinetales
12th February 2004, 11:36 AM
Why did Thunder hit the pokemon who used it?There is no attack,except Explosion/Selfdestruct,that do damage to the user.

Dawn:Take a break.Then,Dragonbreath on Timber,and finally Dragonbreath on Force.

Nothing:Hypnosis on Force,then Nightmare on Force,and Shadow Ball on Timber.
EDIT:and Fissure+Giga Drain did 40% damage?That's a little bit too much...especially if Thunder+Thunder+Dragon Claw+Dragonbreath did only 5% damage....
EDIT2:Ancientpower,used by a Grass type on a Ghost/Poison type(regular damage,no "super-effective"-ness) did 18% damage?

Soneko
12th February 2004, 11:56 AM
I agree that Thunder shouldnt hit Nothing, even if it was raining... perhaps it was a mistake. But Fissure is an exceedingly strong attack, so it should do a very large ammount of damage, I'd think...

Anyhow. Timber, I'm very proud of you. Keep it up, I know you can do it. Start with a Solar Beam on the Bagon. Follow up with a Grasswhistle which should hopefully be aimed at both Pokemon, but if not, aim it at Gastly. And end with a Giga Drain on la Bagon.

Force, Im exceptionally proud of you too. You both did very well and I hope you can keep it up. Start with a Substitute, around 10%. That should take care of the hypnosis, so follow up with a Water Pusle at la Gastly to hopefully confuse it. But if you're asleep, use Sleep Talk instead. And end with an Ice Beam at the wet Gastly. But if you're asleep, Sleep Stalk instead, again.

LightNinetales
12th February 2004, 01:00 PM
Yes,Fissure is a strong attack.But Protect absorbs the damage of the attack,so...And Protect should have protected Dawn from Thunder,too.

Soneko
12th February 2004, 01:05 PM
He had said the protect failed, because he didnt have the energy. Im not quiet sure what that would mean... but I'd think its because of the Mind Reader.
And, about Ancientpower... I dont think STAB's is encluded for certain attacks, but yes, I think that is alot of damage. Eh.

LightNinetales
12th February 2004, 01:33 PM
Ancientpower?A lot of damage?In the games,it has 60 base power.It can't be SO strong in the anime.(actually,I don't know if you mean "yes,Ancientpower has done too much damage" or "yes,Ancientpower does a lot of damage,it's a strong attack")
Mind Reader doesn't lower the opponent's energy.

Indecent Exposure
12th February 2004, 02:46 PM
1. Thunder is a very difficult attack to control, it's a huge attack. When Gastly used it, he was very angry and used it quickly without even really tryign to control it. Any attack can hit the Pokemon that used it if done in a certain way. You can always shoot yourself in the foot, if you like.

2. Fissure and Giga Drain are both quite powerful attacks, and it was also damaged by both thunder attacks. And as I noted for the first one, even more damaged than it opponents were. It's also worth notign that due to mind reader (and the fact bagon remained still), fissure hit with perfect accuracy, unlike most attacks would. Plus there's the little bit of wear-and-tear damage that I give all pokemon at the end of every round.

Chikorita received a total of 5% damage, after using both Synthesis (which took the damage done by dragon claw to around 3% I think it was) and Giga Drain. And as I said, dragonbreath was very weak. Plus neither thunder attack hit Chikorita as bad as the first hit Bagon.

3. Ancientpower and thunder did the damage to Gastly. And as I have mentioned, the rounds wear-and-tear the Pokemon recived. This is more for Pokemon that used big attacks, like thunder (twice). The ancient power itself took something like 8%, as quite a big attack and the fact that Gastly wasn't really expecting it so it pretty much hit perfectly.

4. The reason for a lack of energy woudl be because Bagon had just been blasted by the thunder attack - as previously mentioned, worse than the others - and had a lot of its power drained through the giga drain. I'd love to see you create a barrier intended to withstand such a powerful attack after that...

Please stop thinkign so much in terms of the game. This is anime style battling. Think of it as if it were real. You can mess up attacks if you don't use them carefully, attacks do far more damage if they hit you perfectly, Pokemon are not machines who can hit attacks perfectly after beign struck down.

I apologize, but the reffing wont be up today, since I spent the time I had put aside typing this out instead (that's not intended as a way to stop you questioning my reffing, if you think I'm wrong, just say so and I'll explain myself), so it'll be up tomorrow instead.

Indecent Exposure
13th February 2004, 11:31 AM
Round 3

Chikorita: 63% Badly poisoned: Solar Beam (Bagon) -=- Grass Whistle -=- Giga Drain (Bagon)
Poliwhirl: 65% Slightly poisoned: Substitute -=- Water Pulse (Gastly)/Sleep Talk -=- Ice Beam (Gastly)/Sleep Talk
Bagon: 42% In desperate need of a rest: relax -=- Dragonbreath (Chikorita) -=- Dragonbreath (Poliwhirl)
Gastly: 80% Very angry: Hypnosis (Poliwhirl) -=- Nightmare (Poliwhirl) -=- Shadow Ball (Chikorita)
-----
The round starts off badly for Chikorita and Poliwhirl, who both have an amount of Hp taken from them through their respective posioned conditions. This gives Bagon a chance to rest up a little, and Gastly the opportuntiy to get into position to attack. It turns to Poliwhirl and smirks like only a ghost Pokemon can and uses its hypnosis attack on the water Pokemon. Poliwhirl seems to fall dead asleep, but somehow it seems that there's another Poliwhirl right behidn it, wide awake! Poliwhirl managed to create a substitute without anybody noticing. Chikorita now gets to her feet and quickly charges a solar beam, which is weakened due to the clouds in the sky and lack of sunlight, but still managed to hit the vunerable Bagon with ease. Gastly now attempts to destroy its opponent mentally by feeding it nightmares, causing the Poliwhirl to wake up in fear, only to quickly dissapear. Gastly just levitates there in complete shock at what it saw. The real poliwhirl now takes the opportunity to blast Gastly with a water pulse, knocking the shocked Pokemon down. Chikorita in the meantime is whistling sweetly, sending a sweet melody towards its unsuspecting opponets who listen to every note, while furiously tryign to stay awake. Bagon fires a relativly weak Dragonbreath towards Chikorita in an attempt to figth the sleep, but it soon drifts off into a full on sleep. Chikorita however is hit by its dragonbreath. The tune has really hlped calm gastly down, and it is now floating around in a far better mood. It fires off a Shadow ball at Chikorita, knocking it down, before drifting off into a light sleep. The quite weak Chikorita walks over to the sleeping Bagon to drain its energy. Poliwhirl finishes the round off with an Ice Beam towards the sleeping Gastly, and although the attack did good damage, it also woke gastly up.
-----
Chikorita: 54% Badly poisoned
Poliwhirl: 54% Slightly poisoned
Bagon: 26% Asleep
Gastly: 68%

Shidorah to attack first

LightNinetales
13th February 2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Indecent Exposure
Plus neither thunder attack hit Chikorita as bad as the first hit Bagon.

Why?Nothing was angry at his opponents,he wasn't angry at his partner,and Poliwhirl took less damage than Bagon,even if Thunder is super-effective on a wet Poliwhirl,and even if Thunder isn't very effective on Dragon-types....

Indecent Exposure
13th February 2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by LightNinetales
Why?Nothing was angry at his opponents,he wasn't angry at his partner,and Poliwhirl took less damage than Bagon,even if Thunder is super-effective on a wet Poliwhirl,and even if Thunder isn't very effective on Dragon-types....

Ok, I'm going to tell you again that thunder is a very powerful attack and is difficult to control. When the thunder attack was used on the opponents (the first one, where Gastly had some control over its direction), Bagon was unfortunatly in the area, and therefore got struck by the attack. Poliwhirl didn't get hit as bad, and therefore didn't take as much damage. It's notabout types, it's about the fact that Bagon got hit worse. Simple as that.

Just take a second to imagine what the thunder attack would most likely look like. Chances are you're imagining bolts of lightning firing down over an area. If a pokemon is not hit by any, it wont take damage. If a pokemon is hit a little by one, it will take a little damage. If another pokemon is hit a lot worse, than it will take a lot more damage.

Soneko
14th February 2004, 10:17 AM
Is it still raining?

Anyhow. Great job, the both of you. Keep it up, Im sure you can.

Timber, start by Giga Draining Bagon. Continue so until he cant battle anymore. If you have an action left (or more), use Ancientpower on Gastly.

Force, use another Water Pusle on Gastly, to try an confuse it. Then use Ice Beam at Gastly, now that he's wet. If he's frozen, use Focus Punch on the frozen part. If not, use Ice Beam again.

Indecent Exposure
14th February 2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Shidorah
[size=1][i][color=psyblue]Is it still raining?

Sorry, forgot to say. It's stopped raining, but the clouds are still there.

LightNinetales
14th February 2004, 02:03 PM
Well,I think I'll forfeit.I'm an approved ref after all,I don't really need money,and the ref seems angry at me.I don't want Dawn to be KO'ed.*recalls Dawn and Nothing*

Sorry.I wanted an interesting battle,and I saw that one of the battles Indecent Exposure was reffing was won by one of the battlers after four or five rounds.This one would probably come to an end after four rounds,if I don't forfeit,and I know I won't be the winner.You can have your money,Indecent Exposure,and you can have your new evolved/captured pokemon,Shidorah.

Indecent Exposure
14th February 2004, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by LightNinetales
Well,I think I'll forfeit.I'm an approved ref after all,I don't really need money,and the ref seems angry at me.I don't want Dawn to be KO'ed.*recalls Dawn and Nothing*

Sorry.I wanted an interesting battle,and I saw that one of the battles Indecent Exposure was reffing was won by one of the battlers after four or five rounds.This one would probably come to an end after four rounds,if I don't forfeit,and I know I won't be the winner.You can have your money,Indecent Exposure,and you can have your new evolved/captured pokemon,Shidorah.

You know I wasn't at all angry at you, but I am now. That is just pathetic. I hate it when people give up without real reason. Especially for somebody who just said that they wanted an interesting battle...

A battle I reffed ended after 5 rounds because one of the battlers made quite a few mistakes, including one whole round where they were totally destroyed. And I really can't understand why that's even an issue. The battle was won in 5 rounds because one trainer was a lot better than the other.

Soneko
14th February 2004, 02:45 PM
The point about ASB is for it to be logical. But every human see's things differently, and so one person will think illogical what another thinks logical. It often happens, and I guess it just has to be that way in order for ASB to be ASB.

*Shrugs* Im sorry that everyone cant have the same oppinions, though that would be a horridly boring world. And though Im dissapointed in you forfeiting, I do think that you could have battled till the end, since it's really more for fun then for winning... though if you werent having fun, well, yeah.

So... err, I guess I'll evolve Button, my male Pichu, into a Pikachu...

LightNinetales
14th February 2004, 02:48 PM
You know,I never forfeited before.This battle isn't as interesting as I wanted it to be.And you can't say Shidorah is better than me because YOU decided that a pokemon can be hit by his OWN attack.YOU also decided that my pokemon attacks his own partner.I'm a ref myself,so I know that sometimes we want a battle to come to an end quickly,either because we find it boring,or because we don't have enough time to ref a lot of rounds.And I forfeit because I understand that.

EDIT:Congratulations,Shidorah.You're the winner.

Indecent Exposure
14th February 2004, 03:30 PM
I'm not saying Shidorah is better than you at all. However in this battel you have made mistakes. How do you expect the Thunder attack to only hit the opponents if you made your own Pokemon run in among them? It's a mistake to do it, but just pure stupidty to question why your Pokemon got hit.

And I didn't want this battle to come to an end quickly. I'm not at all bothered by the length of a battle. However if you look at the attacks you made, you'll notice that the large majority were damage-inflicting ones, which believe it or not, cause more damage than defensive ones. If you want a battle to last longer, try to dodge more attacks, or defend yourself more often. However, considering this is essentially a one on one (since both Pokemon are out at the same time), I feel that around 5 rounds would in fact a decent length for a battle.

LightNinetales
15th February 2004, 02:52 AM
I already used Thunder in another battle.My pokemon wasn't able to use electric attacks for three rounds,but he wasn't hit by his own attack.