PDA

View Full Version : Video Game Adverts/Commercials

Yoh Asakura
9th February 2004, 01:33 PM
Stop being gay firefox... @@;;

Anywho, what do you think of video game advertisments?

Do you think they do a goo job at making them? or they suck?

I quite like the Sonic Hero's advert currently airing in the Uk with the A-Team theme music

Mikey
9th February 2004, 01:56 PM
I see some commercials as good. My favorite would have to have been Conker's Bad Fur Day. It was so sleasy, yet innocent and funny at the same time.

I also enjoy:

`Rainbow Six 3's ("My country tis of Thee" really gets in your head after that.)
`The Wind Waker- Hearing his sister say "to save...me" just got me all excited
`Resident Evil- All of these commercials give me shivers in anticipation.

Heald
9th February 2004, 02:04 PM
All EA games are terribly advertised. Since all their games are crap and most use a film license, they just glue pieces of the film footage together and then say some crap like 'Live the game! We want money! LOLOLOLOL!!!' without actually showing any game footage.

The Sonic Heroes advert was amusing. I love the A-Team.

The Zelda: OoT advert was classic: 'Will thou save the girl...or play like one?'. Legendary.

All the Pokémon adverts have been terrible. They show a bunch of kids throwing Pokéballs around saying 'I choose you Pikachu', show one screen from the game and then the advert ends.

The GTA: Vice City advert was the best. Advertised like a true 80s movie. Never bettered, in either advertised or gameplay (I can expect to be slammed by Mike, but that's the price for endless hours of fun).

Adz44
9th February 2004, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I though the GTA: VC ads were cool too. I had already bought the game before they aired, but if the hype wasn't already enough, I think the advertising campaign certainly helped towards Vice City selling as much as it did (and it's still selling now, I'm sure lol).

Ratchet and Clank had a great ad campaign too. Those demonstrations of the weapons made me laugh. Should be more gaming ads like that, I reckon. No more of those false adverts that only show FMV footage. It's alright if it's included to a certain extent, but not the whole advert.

Yoh Asakura
9th February 2004, 03:25 PM
Anybody seen the Harry Potter game ads?
All FMV and at the bottom in tiny letters "Fottage not from game" Pointless.

Heald
9th February 2004, 04:12 PM
The Harry Potter adverts did what they had to do. They showed FMV footage of Harry doing magic spells and flying a broomstick. It sold like hot cakes. Too bad the game was crap.

Razola
9th February 2004, 04:49 PM
"It's good to play together" has to be the worst ad campaign in some time. I cannot stand hearing that guy's voice.

The Muffin Man
9th February 2004, 05:00 PM
I don't like the XBox adverts. They're trying too hard to look like the ULTIMATE Multiplayer system. Last ads make them look like they were the "ULTIMATE SUPREME UNBEATABLE SYSTEM"...

I don't remember PS2/Sonys, but what I do recall about PS2 has always been semi-tasteful and never some over-the-top crap.

Nintendo's new one is great. It feels, to me at least, like they're attempting to make the establishment of old gamers. "Who are you", like they're reminding you that Samus, Mario, Link, Donkey Kong, and Kirby are all still here from the past. They're not going anywhere, and don't intend to.

kurai
9th February 2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by HealdPK
The Zelda: OoT advert was classic: 'Will thou save the girl...or play like one?'. Legendary.

I have a poster of this. ^__^

Anyway my favourite ad I can think of at the moment is the Xbox ad which had the guy flying through the air aging then lands in his grave, that just never got old.

I also liked the Boogerman (SNES game) advertisement style when I was 9.

PNT510
9th February 2004, 07:28 PM
I hated the Wind Waker ad, the way that little girl talked made me wish I could kill her instead of save her >:O

I thought the MGS ad for PS1 was cool, I don't remember it well, I just remember going "Wow, I gots to get me that game."

classy_cat18
10th February 2004, 09:12 AM
I nearly jumped out of my seat when I saw the ones for Metroid: Zero Mission and FF:CC. Yeah, those are great. I remember when they first showed the commercial for Super Smash Bros., when Mario, Yoshi, D.K., and Pikachu were skipping along to this cheesy song and suddenly break out into a fight. The most convincing video game commercial that I remember is the one for Kirby's Dream Land 2 for the Game Boy. I didn't even know a lot about Kirby before that game came out, but the second I saw the commercial I begged Mom to buy it for my birthday.

stickachu
10th February 2004, 09:22 AM
I really like the Double Dash ad with the airport carts... Old people fighting just hits me in the right spot I guess. I also loved the original Smash Bros commercial with them fighting while "So Happy Together" played in the background. (It is not a cheese song classy cat... it's a classic ;) )

And I remember liking the ORIGINAL pokemon commercial. With the vacuum cleaner. Mostly because I had no idea what it was all about, and the commercial worked to get me interested. Just like the commercial for Super Mario World worked because I had so many questions... like "What's Mario riding? Is that a dinosaur? What's going on?"

Now if you want a cheesy commercial, look back at the ad for The Legend Of Zelda (the first one) with that really corny rap. Such an awful commercial for such an awesome game.

Adz44
10th February 2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by kurai

Anyway my favourite ad I can think of at the moment is the Xbox ad which had the guy flying through the air aging then lands in his grave, that just never got old.

Oh yeah. How did I forget to mention that advert?! lol Amazingly, I only saw it once. While the X-Box may not be my favourite console, I really liked that advert.

Talking of console adverts, remember PS2's "The Third Place" campaign? That was bizarre. Some sort of mummy, a man with a duck's head and a man's arm (if I can remember rightly lol) sitting on a sofa. Then the duck says "Welcome to the Third Place." Alright...

I prefer their current campaign, "Fun, anyone?". Short, amusing black and white animations.

Stickachu: Legend of Zelda rap? Didn't have the pleasure (or misfortune) to hear it. How did it go (roughly)? lol

Mewfour
10th February 2004, 01:10 PM
I loved Zero Mission's commercial. So funny when that girl lands like Samus from that super-high flip and then that light comes crashing down from the rafters

Yoh Asakura
10th February 2004, 01:36 PM
For some probably pathetic reason, they banned the Xbox "cradle To Grave" advert in the Uk.

For all those who have never seen the advert: Click Me! (http://www.framestore-cfc.com/commercials/xbox_champagne/pop_xboxchampagne.html)

stickachu
10th February 2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Adz44
Stickachu: Legend of Zelda rap? Didn't have the pleasure (or misfortune) to hear it. How did it go (roughly)? lol

Now for your viewing pleasure.... The LoZ rap!

Please note, this is rap is extremely cheesy and should not be viewed by anyone.

It's the Legend of Zelda and it's really rad,
Those creatures from Ganon are pretty bad.

It gets worse from there... with Go Link yeah... then some more RAD sounds and such. I recommend avoiding it like the plague. But if you want to see it http://www.ninjaculture.com/media/002.asp but don't say i didn't warn you...

Adz44
10th February 2004, 04:39 PM
Thanks for getting back to me on that, Stickachu. While it didn't have a serious negative effect on me, I thought it was a crap advert. You were right about Zelda deserving better...a million times over...lol

Might as well post about something else. Anyone in the UK remember the old "It takes ages" Sega adverts? I remember them vaguely. Nearly all (if not all) of them had a scientist in them. In one advert, a teenager was having a strange haircut with a soundtrack loosely based on the song "Don't Fade Away". I think he's playing a game at the same time. There was also another one where a sprite of Tails dies right at the end. Very blurry memories...can anyone shed light on these adverts?

It's times like this that I wish I could browse my head like my hard drive...which gives me an idea...*writes new activity on to-do list*...

TeleFox
11th February 2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by HealdPK
All the Pokémon adverts have been terrible. They show a bunch of kids throwing Pokéballs around saying 'I choose you Pikachu', show one screen from the game and then the advert ends.

The only one I've seen for Ruby/Sapphire (not sure where it's from) wasn't bad. It was shot from the POV of the camera in an automated picture booth, and it basically just had a whole lot of people turning up who resembled pokémon, with the matching pokémon (drawn on overlay) sitting on their shoulder/head/etc.
The guy who looked like a Treecko was kinda creepy tho o_O

stickachu
11th February 2004, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by TeleFox
The only one I've seen for Ruby/Sapphire (not sure where it's from) wasn't bad. It was shot from the POV of the camera in an automated picture booth, and it basically just had a whole lot of people turning up who resembled pokémon, with the matching pokémon (drawn on overlay) sitting on their shoulder/head/etc.
The guy who looked like a Treecko was kinda creepy tho o_O

Oh yeah, I remember that ad.... I liked that one a lot actually. And the Treecko guy was VERY creepy. :yes:

shazza
13th February 2004, 10:14 PM
Some commericals for games are ok, but I haven't seen any in ages, I hate the pokemon ones, as another user deseribed with stupid kids chucking pokeballs thinking they are cool and say "I choose you, Pikachu!!"

Mewfour
13th February 2004, 11:56 PM
My brother thought that Prince of Persia was stupid because of the commercials. All that stopped once he finally played the damn thing.... ;)