PDA

View Full Version : Deoxys Sprites

Water Pokemon Master
10th February 2004, 07:00 PM
As you guys may know, Deoxys has 3 different sprites. One for R/S, one for FR, and one for LG. Well, when I attached an Action Replay to my LG today and typed in the Deoxys code, I went into the wild and came accross a level 3 Deoxys with the R/S sprite. So, could this mean that Deoxys has different sprites depending on its level?

Poryhedron
10th February 2004, 07:18 PM
Not likely...it might be more an Unown thing, where each Deoxys has a single sprite and different Deoxys could have any one sprite at random. Hey, was there ever anything to indicate that the two newer sprites are somehow connected to Fire Red and Leaf Green, beyond the fact that the screenshot of the one with all the tentacles was from a Fire Red game and the screenshot of the one with the shell-like cover was from a Leaf Green game?

Don't Run With Scizors
10th February 2004, 10:20 PM
According to this (http://www.turquoisecity.com/Labs/NewDeoxys.shtm), the Deoxys starts out with the Ruby\Sapphire sprite, but then transforms into a different sprite after it is caught.

But not only does it just change sprites, it changes stats and level-up moves as well! The base stats of the Deoxys in Fire Red are still those of an offensive powerhouse, but the Deoxys in Leaf Green (the one with a shell sprite) learns moves like Iron Defense, Amnesia, Counter, Mirror Coat, and Spikes and has massive defensive stats (though it now has zilch for attack stats and speed and still has sucky HP).

Kari and Mewtwo
10th February 2004, 10:23 PM
So far ive only encountered the RS deoxys sprite in FR, not the Tentaclerape Deoxys or the Juggernaut Deoxys.

EDIT: above quote nulled by DRWS's post

Water Pokemon Master
11th February 2004, 12:56 AM
Boy oh boy, Dexoys has to be the most interesting Pokemon of all time. I am sure when the movie comes out, we will learn much more about why it is this way. I would say it can shapeshift its body as well as its moves. Heck, it might be even able to split into more than one Deoxys. I wouldn't doubt if Nintendo was in contact with the Anime creators before putting in those sprites and all the special things behind Deoxys (or the other way around). So, the movie may have a tie with the Gameboy.

Poryhedron
11th February 2004, 01:48 AM
Okay, this begs one major question. Are the two Deoxys truly different beings? What happens if you trade Deoxys from Fire to Leaf? Will it convert from ATK Deoxys to DEF Deoxys, in sprite and/or in stats? And if not, will it still learn from its Fire moveset while in Leaf?

Don't Run With Scizors
11th February 2004, 11:37 AM
I've taken sample data of about sixteen Deoxys from Fire Red, and it looks like base stats for the Fire Red Deoxys are roughly:

HP: 50
Attack: 180
Defense: 20
Special Attack: 180
Special Defense: 20
Speed: 150

I wouldn't know what happens with the Deoxys when they're traded to different versions, though, unless somebody happens to have a Deoxys sharked up on two cartridges.

TeleFox
11th February 2004, 12:17 PM
Makes sense if Deoxys mutates though, after all, that's where it came from in the first place, as viruses are known for their rapidly mutating traits.
Personally I would have preferred the alteration to be random, rather than based on which version you have, but I guess that's just the way Nintendo likes to do things -_-

ace
11th February 2004, 12:56 PM
! Those other two deoxys are totally amazing!!

http://www.turquoisecity.com/Labs/ThreeDeoxys.gif

Animelee
11th February 2004, 01:17 PM
I prefer the Leaf Green version of Deoxys. Iron Defense + Amnesia + Recover + INCREDIBLE DEFENSE AND SP.DEFENSE = <3

Cooltrainer
11th February 2004, 03:58 PM
Hey! Long time to c ya guys!

Apparently Nintemdo is trying to introduce us to a new way of "training". If someone wants to focus on an Attacking Deoxys, he trains it in FR, wether for a defensive, he gets it by training in LG.

Now, if someone wants to have a more balanced Deoxys, he continiously trades from one to the other, to gain both Att and Defense (and the moves he prefers Deoxys to have). This way it shows the mutation Deoxys undergoes and the versatility he has by being trained totally differently in three versions.

Well, that's just me, but I think that's it anyway, and it's pretty interesting! I'd like to see how Deoxys can be developped by being trained in all three games.

Carbonite4
11th February 2004, 06:55 PM
Awesome. Deoxys is near the top of my favorite Pokemon now. I love the creativity Nintendo keeps pulling.

Powarun
11th February 2004, 08:01 PM
Wow, I just read about this on Gamefaqs, and this is quite the find. It is almost frightening, about how powerful this thing could be in the hands of someone with two gameboys, both versions, and a link cable. I think that in its attack mode it looks the coolest. Maybe Deoxys, is Missingno's real form? The fire red one looks awsome. Wonder how they will look like on Coliseum?

Know something that it reminds me though of, an RPG character, where it starts out either defensive, or offensive, and it effects your character through the whole game.

Rei_Zero
11th February 2004, 08:33 PM
If you kept on trading through different versions would you get a Deoxys that excedes its supposed max stat (1853 I believe)? And here's a scary thought.....
recover+mirror coat+counter+filler+defense+Deoxys=ultimate ubber cheapiness?

TeleFox
12th February 2004, 02:05 AM
Hehe, don't get too carried away yet people :P

Cooltrainer and Powarun, one of two things will most likely happen when Deoxys is traded:

a) Deoxys remains the same 'version'.
It behaves the same as it would in it's original game, ie: same moves, stat gains, blah blah blah. Somewhere in the Deoxys' code there is a value that tells it what 'version' it is, and there isn't anything naturally in the game that will change that, similar to DV's or HGV's. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if the 'version' info was stored in the HGV data.

b) Deoxys mutates to another 'version' to match the game it's in.
In the game, a pokémon's stat are frequently recalculated, like when it goes into the PC, or levels up. Upon changing, the stats will be recalibrated based on Deoxys' current level, EV's earned, DV's set to it, and base stats. The base stats are the most influential, and will be altered (as noted by current info) when Deoxys changes. This means that every time it mutates, so do it's stats, so you can't have some of the stat gains from each 'version'. You can, however, mix-and-match your moves, but you'll note that Deoxys has been designed so that in order to learn one move, you have to sacrifice another because they're learnt at the same level.

Rei_Zero, as I mentioned above it's unlikely that Deoxys will be able to accumulate stats from it's different forms. This means that the max stat limit will remain the same, regardless of how you train Deoxys.
As for the question of "recover+mirror coat+counter+filler+defense+Deoxys=ultimate ubber cheapiness?", you have to take into account a few points about game mechanics. Counter and Mirror Coat deal damage based on how many HP's are depleted by an enemy attack. If Deoxys has high defenses, the HP damage received will be comparatively low, and so the damage done by these two counter-attacks will also be low.
And hey, there's one way to deal with high-defense Deoxys easily enough, and that's good ol' Toxic. Perhaps with a side order of Mean Look. Not that there's only one way, but while Deoxys is pumping his defense and recovering, Toxic is gaining momentum towards certain death (OK, melodrama aside, certain KO at least).

Although I could be wrong ;)

The Muffin Man
12th February 2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Rei_Zero
If you kept on trading through different versions would you get a Deoxys that excedes its supposed max stat (1853 I believe)? And here's a scary thought.....
recover+mirror coat+counter+filler+defense+Deoxys=ultimate ubber cheapiness?

No, that wouldn't happen. First of all, Telefox is right. Huge defense with low HP is not exactly a favorable Counter/Mirror Coat combination. It's like using Mind Reader and Swift. It kind of defeats the purpose.

Secondly, its' stats would, as Fox said, either change depending on the version, or stay exactly the same. Although the moves should change...Yellow version Pikachu learned Swift in RB at 26, but Red version Pikachu learned Thunderbolt at 26 in Yellow...also, it'd be way too much work to make 3 move sets for Deoxys, as well as 3 sets of stats, AND a code to keep them all together so you don't end up with a super-high attack Deoxys using Recover...It's not really logical. It's easier to just do what GSC did for RBY. Keep the stats, just make the neccasary changes(Graveler with Magnitude, Charizard with high Spc.Atk)...

Powarun
12th February 2004, 05:27 PM
You can, however, mix-and-match your moves, but you'll note that Deoxys has been designed so that in order to learn one move, you have to sacrifice another because they're learnt at the same level.

Yeah, but that is where Heart Scales come in. Yeah Deoxys was designed to have a special move set but heart scales and move tutors can keep the dream alive of picking the moves you want.

Rei_Zero
12th February 2004, 06:25 PM
Hmmm...I know the mechanics for counter and mirror coat. But if you added taunt in that moveset...

TeleFox
12th February 2004, 07:34 PM
Good point about the Heart Scales, I can't see why they wouldn't work, provided Deoxys was in the right form to learn the move you wanted.
That way you could obtain the combination suggested by Rei, which could be damned annoying to anyone trapped in with Deoxys.

HedgeCat
12th February 2004, 10:01 PM
Hmm. SOunds cool.

Dang, I want a defensive Deoxys, but i'm gonna get Fire Red. =/

Gagome
14th February 2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by Powarun
Yeah, but that is where Heart Scales come in. Yeah Deoxys was designed to have a special move set but heart scales and move tutors can keep the dream alive of picking the moves you want.
Is the move tutor who collects Heart Scales in FR/LG too?
If not then you could only teach a R/S move to Deoxys using a Heart Scale.

Animelee
14th February 2004, 05:50 PM
Even though there's no legal way to get Deoxys yet, I can safely assume its banned from regular play, unless the two players make some sort of agreement.

Powarun
14th February 2004, 07:20 PM
Well if your opponent doesn't know about Deoxys then whats illegal about playing it? I mean, I would love to see rumors how to get it, like Mew.

Water Pokemon Master
14th February 2004, 08:55 PM
It would have been funny if when I went to the EX R/S pre-release tourny in July if I had used Deoxys. When I mentioned the name, no one new what it was and asked if I was making it up, which I told them yes. I got to be one of the lucky few people who got to battled on the television for the final round, and if a Deoxys would have popped out, everyone would be like "Whoa!"

Man, I should have used Action Replay and captured a Deoxys for the tourny. Of course, I would have been disqualified in the 1st round, but it would have been funny to see how people would act if a totally new rare Pokemon appeared.

HedgeCat
14th February 2004, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Gagome
Is the move tutor who collects Heart Scales in FR/LG too?
If not then you could only teach a R/S move to Deoxys using a Heart Scale.
I read on Serebii that there is a tutor, but he collects mushrooms.

Here's the link for reference. (http://www.serebii.net/red_green/move-tutor.shtml)

Animelee
15th February 2004, 10:01 PM
I read that on GameFAQs, too.

Thank goodness - Mushrooms and Paras are much easier to find than Heart Scales and Luvcus.