PDA

View Full Version : Is love worth it?!

Last Exile
11th February 2004, 10:07 PM
I've just finished watching a touching anime series called Shingetsutan Tsukihime. and it's really made me think of what I think about love.

So here's a few things I was thinking of lately:

1. How far would you go for love?
2. Is love worth dying for?
3. Would you go against family and friends to be with the one you love?
4. Is love overrated?

And here's a hypotehtical:

You've met the man/woman of your dreams. You've been with them for a couple of months. You can't recall ever feeling so good in your entire life. But then tragedy begins to set in. The one you love will be dead in a week. That person is contemplating splitting with you to spare you and them any pain of seeing him/her die. You stay by them despite that. You have the week of your life and do all the things you wanted to do with them. You even make love with them. And then, they're gone, spending their last moments alive in your arms.

5. Would you stick with that person even if they'd be gone?
6. Would you remember them for eternity?

My answers:

1. I'd go a long way for love, but no to extremes.
2. Whoa...um, depends on how dire the situation was and who the woman was, I guess. I don't think I could do a Romeo and Juliet.
3. Well, my friends don't discuss that stuff and my family is completely agaisnt each other anyway, so me being with someone they didn't want me to be wth wouldn't add that much to the problem! :D
4. In some ways. It's overblown in how positive it can be. People don't want to acknowledge the fact that relationships have as many hard times as good times. If you can appreicate both and ride through the storm, then love is worth it and will endure.

As for the hypothetical:

5. Yes, I'd stay with them. I'd want to enjoy my last moments with her as much as possible.
6. Yeah, definitely. I place a high value on love. You don't mess with people's feelings or hearts. Love is too sacred to do that.

Last Exile
11th February 2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by DooMed Trainer
Wonderful, but listen to the man first (http://maddox.xmission.com/26_things.html)

Lovely SPAM material, jerk. Do it again and you're lynched.

Razola
11th February 2004, 11:06 PM
It's not spam, it's wonderfully on-topic.

As for love, it depends on the people involved. I have yet to meet a person outside my family worth dying for, but it would be nice to.

HavoX
11th February 2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Raz
It's not spam, it's wonderfully on-topic.

shut up.

Razola
11th February 2004, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by DooMed Trainer
shut up.
Either you're very paranoid, or just stupid. Here's a clue: that wasn't sarcasm, jackass.

Unless you live in some strange place where support is silenced and not welcomed. You must be in one of those cultures that support the "lone wolf" philosophy or something. Nope, no allies for you!

titandude21
11th February 2004, 11:39 PM
I've just finished watching a touching anime series called Shingetsutan Tsukihime. and it's really made me think of what I think about love.

So here's a few things I was thinking of lately:

4. Is love overrated?

You've met the man/woman of your dreams. You've been with them for a couple of months. You can't recall ever feeling so good in your entire life. But then tragedy begins to set in. The one you love will be dead in a week. That person is contemplating splitting with you to spare you and them any pain of seeing him/her die. You stay by them despite that. You have the week of your life and do all the things you wanted to do with them. You even make love with them. And then, they're gone, spending their last moments alive in your arms.

interesting... I've indirectly answered most of these questions in my valentine's day topic in PCG.

1. If it's convenient for me then yes... then again, for me to find love I would have to care about others and care what they think of me

2. no... i you don't need to know a lot of english to understand that word

3. i'm not going to put much effort into interpersonal relationships... not only would my parents accept a partner if I get one, but they're encouraging me to get one.

4. You bet... reason #1 on my "Reasons to hate Valentine's Day" list

5. yeah... i probably wouldn't be aggressive in pursuing another relationship

6. yes

[attachment deleted by admin]

HavoX
11th February 2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Either you're very paranoid, or just stupid. Here's a clue: that wasn't sarcasm, jackass.

Unless you live in some strange place where support is silenced and not welcomed. You must be in one of those cultures that support the "lone wolf" philosophy or something. Nope, no allies for you!

No, no, NO.

I posted a link in this thread, Citrus Crush Chikorita says it's spam, I delete the post I made, and now I'm angry.

I don't want to talk about it anymore. It makes me sick.

bleh http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/icons/icon8.gif

Razola
11th February 2004, 11:48 PM
You got warned, not that big of a deal...and since he quoted you deleting the post will have little effect.

Back on topic...I never got upset like titandude about love. I can truly see where love develops a very tight bond. No need to think of it as over rated just because such bonds are rare.

titandude21
11th February 2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Back on topic...I never got upset like titandude about love. I can truly see where love develops a very tight bond. No need to think of it as over rated just because such bonds are rare.

I never got upset about love, but it does suck not to have complete control over the outcome of the situation

Razola
12th February 2004, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by titandude21
I never got upset about love, but it does suck not to have complete control over the outcome of the situation
I got the impression that you were upset about it from this and the Valentine's Day poll.

titandude21
12th February 2004, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Raz
I got the impression that you were upset about it from this and the Valentine's Day poll.

i'll sum it up by saying i don't have any significant personal experiences with Valentine's Day. if i did I would have worded my poll questions differently, taken the random questions out, and sucked all the humor out of my list.

There's nothing more to talk about regarding me, unless you're bored enough to take time out of your life to discuss my life.

The Rusted One
12th February 2004, 01:06 AM
I don't know - as far as I think I should in the given situation, but I can't think of any such occasions right now (having never been in love).

Again, I couldn't say. Perhaps, perhaps not.

Not to sound too enthusiastic, but hell yes. Why? Because I'm not living my life to please them; I'm living my life for myself. Whether or not they frowned upon it, I think I'd dismiss their opinions as being more important than my feelings. When it came down to it, if I risked losing them if I didn't give up the person I loved, then I'd lose them.

4. Is love overrated?
Teenage love, yes; I'm sure there are actual cases where love is felt, but the word is thrown around as much as "the", and really, in that context, it couldn't be anything but overrated (given that all the people "in love" at 16 think so highly of it and of their relationships they link the two together). Otherwise, no, I don't think it is.

[...]

Of course. They're dying - my feelings wouldn't be along with the prospect of old age with them.

As long as I lived, or at least had the ability to remember things, yes. Eternity? No, I don't think we're around forever.

Anyway, the bickering was nice, and all, but for future reference, don't make something like a link the topic of such abusive posts, okay? Also, this is seems more a poll (despite the considerably un-pollish posts), so I'll be flicking it over to PCG to see what fate it shall meet.

Jay Umbreon
12th February 2004, 03:21 AM
depends what type of love. and it depends who I was in love with.

in my opinion, yeah. I can think of people I love so much, that I would die for them. naturally.

indeed.

4. Is love overrated?
Yeah, I'd say so. I mean....love is great and all, but I like to be independant too. like I know this couple who...are just together 24/7 and because of this their college work and relationships with friends gets heavily affected. it just doesn't make sense to me...I mean, they're not themselves any more...they've fused into one person. to me, that's pretty lame. keep your personal identity. REBEL....REBELL!!!!

Yeah, I'd stay with them for the secks.

Yeah, I'd remember them, but problably look for love again. Again, depends on the situation and the intensity of the love. hehe.

~Jay

Royal_Goddess_Tina
12th February 2004, 11:09 AM
- I'd go as far as possible...
-Yes...
-Of course... That's kinda what I'm doing right now...
4. Is love overrated?
-Nope...
-Of course...
- Yes... because I would be spending eternity with them probably... I'd kill myself and then get to be with them forever...

Great poll :D :wave:

The Outsider
12th February 2004, 04:17 PM
1. To the ends of the earth!
2. Depends but yes.
3. It all depends.
4. Somewhat, it isn't always fine and dandy like people make it out to be!

Linux
13th February 2004, 03:15 AM
As far as possible i would guess.

in some ways it is, personally I believe it is worth it.... since when you find that special somebody and you find out you're not going to be with them, or if they hate you or something like that, it would change your life drastically if you still love them..

family, yes. I don't think i would get rid of my friends for someone i love.... but it would depend on the case, but in general, that's selfish of me to do... so no.

4. Is love overrated?
i think it is. sometimes hearing anything related to love makes my tummy churn =(

legendary fisherman1
13th February 2004, 03:11 PM
Too complicated a question. There are so many variables I'ts too hard to say.

Human life is too important. Dieing for an emotion is only going to cause pain to the ones you care about. Again a too complicated question with too many variables.

My parents will be behind me on most every thing I do. I dont think this question would really be a liability to me, because my parents actualy trust me.

4. Is love overrated?
Only if you think it is. If you really think you feel something then go for it. If there is an even microscopic particle of emtiness, then it might just be.

T'would seem that I've answered too deep on these questions :'O

Wergoheb
13th February 2004, 03:29 PM
*Right now... to the corner store*

*By Dyeing... do you mean dying your hair? If you do... then no. If you mean being killed, also no.*

*Probably... but i don't like my family and friends*

4. Is love overrated?
No... but people in general tend to suck out loud

Little_Pikachu
13th February 2004, 03:48 PM
About 20 miles?

I'd die for someone I loved, like my friends and family, I know they wouldn't want me to do that though.

If I was happy with them, then my family would be supportive anyway, unless he was violent etc in which case I wouldn't be with him anyway.

4. Is love overrated?
Yes.

Sure, they'll only be around for a few more months, might as well get your moneys worth.

Probably, but I usually don't remember things that happened 5 minutes ago.

I haven't had a whole lot of luck with loving relationships.

Toxicity
13th February 2004, 04:29 PM
4. Is love overrated?

~*~

1. I'm not sure...I'd try getting as far as possible to it....

2. Depends...If they betrayed me, no..But if they trusted me and I trusted them back, sure.

3. Yes, my family disapproves of him anyway....

4. Only if it's for a publicity stunt....or to get popular...

Hypothetical:

5. I don't know....It depended if he was really close of betraying me. I guess I'd try to.

6. Probably....

I've never had that much luck. I was betrayed three times by my friend years ago, then I had a strong relationship with another user, but I'm not sure if he loves me...

shazza
13th February 2004, 11:28 PM
-Pretty far, yep, pretty far...
-No, I am not going to die for love. :mad2:
-Yes, it is my life.
4. Is love overrated?
-In some ways, yes.

-I assume so.
-Yes.

AntiAsh Superstar
14th February 2004, 09:27 PM
1. I haev two answers, the smart-aleck one or the sane one. So you can either have 'to the next room, right now I don't need to go any further' or 'as far as it takes to keep that love alive.' In all seriousness true love is a very powerful, life-changing emotion and once you find it it's hard to live without it.
2. Umm, yes. I've never really given that much of a **** about myself, to be honest, but I'll give everything to keep the ones I care about safe.
3. Yup. Coz if family and friends aren't willing to accept it then I don't really think I want anything to do with them until they accept I can make my own decisions.
4. In a sense. There's so much focus on relationships and families that people feel pressured, leading to relationships that will never work out in the long term, and people rushing into things before they're ready. However, having someone you truly care about is something special. It's just a shame people are so impatient to find that special someone.
5. Um, yup. You bet. If I don't feel like doing that for the person then I shouldn't even be with them in the first place coz I clearly don't care enough to make their last moments special.
6. Yes indeedy. How can you forget about someone who means that much to you? ^_^

dark_tyranitar
15th February 2004, 11:10 AM
Not very far. I'm really more the type of person who likes to be alone.

Absolutely not.

Most probably not.

4. Is love overrated?
Yup.

If this situation had actually happened (which it never will), Yes... I would.

If eternity means until I die, then yes, I would.

maninthespoon
15th February 2004, 12:09 PM
"yes"

Craig
15th February 2004, 08:18 PM

30 Kilometers, if you don't live in my town or the next town over (very close though, connected towns really.) no, I will not go that far, but in the way you actually mean it I would go pretty far, it depends on the situation, like I wouldn't "drive 8 hours to see her 2" or anything like that, thats just useless. But if she was being threatened and was gonna get hurt yea I'd help to the best of my ability.

Yes <3

If I was in love with htem in the first place, and my family (not friends, friends can be jerks when it comes to that stuff) had reasons why they sux I might not go against them as they are usually supportive when it comes to descisions like that.

4. Is love overrated?
Yes, obviously.

Hypothetical Questions:
Yes

Having sex and then having someone die in your arms afterwards doesn't seem like something that you would forget.

abunaidesu
11th June 2004, 01:38 PM
far i guess

no

my life, my choices. i have to wait till im 18 though :(

4. Is love overrated?
in some ways

mr_pikachu
11th June 2004, 10:56 PM
If I was married and knew that my wife was my one true love, I'd risk my own mortality. You know, to save her from a burning building, or something.

I think so, since you'd see your love again in the next life.

Yeah. Who are they to stand in the way of your happiness?

4. Is love overrated?
I don't think so. I think it can be the most wonderful thing on earth. But then again, it can be traumatic, as well.

And here's a hypothetical:

If I was willing to go that far with her, then yeah, I'd stick with her eternally.

Most definitely.

phaedrus
11th June 2004, 11:08 PM
1. How far would you go for love? dependssssssssssssss..................
2. Is love worth dying for? see ^
3. Would you go against family and friends to be with the one you love? see ^^
4. Is love overrated? dunno

5. Would you stick with that person even if they'd be gone? definition of "stick by that person", please. like in the same city or like in the same neighborhood?
6. Would you remember them for eternity? yep

Darkmaster Kagemusha
11th June 2004, 11:34 PM
--As far as it takes me
--It depends on the situation, I'd rather not die, and I'd try to save both of us, but if it came right to it, yes.
--Yes I would, and she is
4. Is love overrated?
--Not at all, but flings are overrated
--Yes I would
--Again, yes I would.

darktyranitar
12th June 2004, 05:37 AM
--As far as I can go.
--Depends...
--Depends on the person I'm in love with.
4. Is love overrated?
--Yeah, I think it is...
--Of course.
--If eternity means until I die, yes.

Lady Vulpix
12th June 2004, 10:48 AM
*Points to rules.*
Like the topic of a poll that hasn't been replied to in the last 3 months (or 4 as with this one)? Then post a new poll on that topic, don't bring back the old one.