PDA

View Full Version : Not the Stereotypes! [Poll]

Toxicity
16th February 2004, 02:22 PM
Yeah...out of boredom I felt like creating this: a poll on stereotypes. It's okay, I'm not the kind who will laugh....

1. Do you face stereotyping at your school?
2. Has anybody that's more "popular" laughed at you and tormented you because of your personality? If not, has anybody "popular" tried getting you to be 'one of them'?
3. Have you ever been called a stereotype in a bad way?
4. Do any of your peers like, or even accept, you?
5. What kind of stereotype do they call you? If you truely are, do you deny it?
6. What stereotype do you consider yourself? Do you deny it if you really are?
7. When did stereotyping begin for you?
8. Have you ever tried something to be accepted? What and what were the results?

Random-ness:
9. What song are you listening too at the moment? Does it describe you in a way?

~*~

1. Yes...a lot of it.

2. Yes, they laugh at how I dress and call me a 'pathetic little weasel who belongs in the dump'.

3. A bunch of idiot punks who think they're goths called me a poser once....and Catholics call me a 'Satan Worshipper' because of my necklaces.

4. No...;.;

5. The populars/posers call me a 'loser', and the real goths/outcasts consider me one of them...but I'm really modest about it so I deny it.

6. I consider myself an outcast, and I know I'm a real goth...but I deny that.

7. 5th grade...don't ask.

8. I wore make-up to school once to see if anybody would notice, and all that happened was a prep calling me a hopeless loser. So I failed.

Random-ness:
9. "From the Inside" by Linkin Park. It does somehow because it reminds me of what it was like when my friends betrayed me.

Yoh Asakura
16th February 2004, 03:04 PM

In my training place yes.

2. Has anybody that's more "popular" laughed at you and tormented you because of your personality? If not, has anybody "popular" tried getting you to be 'one of them'?

Sure do, because I wear all black and a long black leather coat I always have fun made of me. Not like I care lolz.

Yeah.

Not a one.

Goth, I like black so i'm labled as a goth heh

I'm not really any.

Pssh I unno.

8. Have you ever tried something to be accepted? What and what were the results?

Nope, either people like me or don't. Those who don't can F**k off.

9. What song are you listening too at the moment? Does it describe you in a way?

Evanescence - You, I dunno, not a song that was supposed to be released but eh... doesn't really describe me

kainashi
16th February 2004, 03:10 PM
1. not at all.
2. no and no.
3. nope.
4. of course, otherwise i wouldn't have friends!
5. none.
6. stereotypes are stupid.
7. ...
8. no sir!

Syberia
16th February 2004, 03:14 PM
1) It exists, sure, but I don't really find myself a victim of it. I dunno, I just seem to be able to fit in with almost anyone. Except goths/wannabe goths (nothing against the poster of this poll, I don't hate them, I just wouldn't want to be one).

2) Nah, in fact, I'm friends with quite a few of the "popular" people.

3) A couple of years ago, yeah, but what can I say, I'm pretty sure now that I deserved all of it back then. For the last few years, though, it hasn't been much of a problem. Me and my friends call eachother nerds whenever we do well on a test or something like that, but it's all in fun.

4) Yeah, for the most part. There will always be those few who hate everyone, but you can't do much about that now can you?

5) See the last part of #3.

6) I don't really consider myself to be any. Just a little bit of everything I guess.

7) 6th/7th grade.

8) Well obviously I did something right because ever since I've been in high school, I've had a lot more friends and am generally accepted by a lot more people than before.

9) Hoobastank - Crawling In The Dark. Doesn't describe me in any other way than the fact that I like the song.

Oh, and Gothic_Latias, I love the second banner in your sig. Linkin Park owns.

Luthien Tinuviel
16th February 2004, 03:21 PM
1. Yes, and no. My school is not neary as stereotypical as other schools, but my friends and I do face judging by our peers on a regular basis.

2. Yes, she was a bitchy little freshman. I got back at her during gym class when I checked her into the wall and humiliated her in front of the class.

3. Yes, and i don't care

4. Yes, at least I think they do...

5. My friends and I are the geeky kids who are obsessed with Stargate, The X-Files, and Lord of the Rings. I revel in my geekyness.

6. *see above* I know I am a geek, and I take pride in it. I would rather be a happy loser than an unhappy prep any day.

7. *shrugs* I dunno, probably around 2nd or 3rd grade

8. Yes, but I realized very on into my efforts that I did not need to be accepted by these people to feel special. My friends love me for who I am, and I would not change that for anything.

9. Another Brick in the Wall Part 2- Pink Floyd

Lady Vulpix
16th February 2004, 03:26 PM
I think this only applies to a certain culture, but I'll do my best to reply.

I don't go to school anymore, unless university counts. Anyway, you can find people who like stereotyping others anywhere. When I was at school, I was sometimes given labels along the lines of nerd, weird and unusually good and innocent. And at other places some have even called me crazy.

There are no "popular" people here. There was a girl everyone liked at primary school, but she was always good to me. At worst she ignored me sometimes because she preferred to be with others. In secondary school, there were two girls who were liked by many and were completely arrogant. They laughed at me a few times, because I wouldn't have everything go the way they wanted. We had some arguments, I got mad sometimes. But none of that would affect the view the others had of me, that's why I say they weren't like "popular" girls are in the USA. Just a couple of girls used to having others follow them and getting mad whenever someone doesn't.

I would say crazy is bad. But they didn't mean it seriously. So no.

All my friends like me, and most of the people I know accept me.

See above. I'm not a nerd. Nerd literally means you like books more than people, and I like people as much as books, so at most I'd be half nerd. Plus I don't enjoy studying. I like knowing things, but not having to spend hours memorizing stuff, half of which I may forget the following day. As for being too innocent, I may seem like that; but I'm not naive/ignorant: I'm innocent by choice. And weird... If it means I'm different from the majority, I think I am, and I can live with that.

I don't consider myself any stereotype, and I highly doubt anyone is. I don't know what stereotypes were invented for, but I don't think they're useful for anything, let alone accurate. It would be like reducing a person to only 1 dimension. You fail to see the whole picture, and therefore never get to know them.

Kindergarten, with the 'weird' thing. When I was 4, more precisely.

Like trying to make friends with others? Yes, I have. It usually takes some time, since I'm rather shy among strangers. But when I get the chance to open up, it usually has good results. So far, singing has been the fastest and most effective way to get people to talk to me and get closer, but the chance doesn't come that often.

Random-ness:
9. What song are you listening to at the moment? Does it describe you in a way?
I'm not listening to a song at this moment.

The Muffin Man
16th February 2004, 03:29 PM
Nope.
~Yes and no. In that order.
~Nope.
~Of course.
~None really. Well they claim that since I'm a gamer I must be lazy and stupid. I'm lazy, but probably smarter than their cancer-stick sucking punkasses.
~Gamer maybe? Depends.
~3rd grade I think.
~Nope. I'm just myself.

Random-ness:
SSJ3 Ascension music XD And soon maybe Tenacious D Again?

Yukitsukai
16th February 2004, 03:33 PM

Random-ness:

1) Plenty.

2) Yep, it's kind of constant ~.~

3) Whoa boy yeah ~.~

4) Some, not many. It just works like that.

5) Most of them call me a poser, but all of my friends say I'm not. Meh. *shrug*

6) I don't label myself. I am who I am, if you don't like it, too bad.

7) beginning of 6th grade

8) Nope, I'm happy with who I am, I don't need to be accepted.

9) I'm listening to Imaginary by Evanescence. It reflects how I'm always off in my own little world to escape the nightmare known as reality. </corny>

dark_tyranitar
16th February 2004, 04:14 PM
Not too much.

Heck, yeah.

Unfortunately so.

Not much.

A Nerd, which I am, and sometimes, some weird word that I can't spell.

I consider myself a nerd.

1st Grade.

Never bothered trying. Its not like I want to be accepted.

Random-ness:
I don't like music, and am therefore not listening to a song.

Silver Ledian
16th February 2004, 04:58 PM
Yep, in my opinion everyone does. Everyone fits into a labelled group in school.

No ones every tried to get me to be one of them but you definately get made fun of by people, even if it's not to your face. Backstabbing is a certainty in schools.

Of course.

Yep, I have a lot of mates in school. I used to have more people against me than with me but it's changed now. I have a lot of friends. :)

Gay. I deny it. I'm not gay. It's basically the only word in people's vocabulary these days. If you do something or act in a way that someone doesn't agree with or like then you're 'gay'. You can't be yourself in school, they expect you to be a clone of them or else you're 'gay'.

To be honest I don't know what I belong in. I'm bright, often near the top of my class but at the same time I have a laugh with my friends and I have a lot of friends. Some would say 'teachers pet' - hardly, since I don't lick up the teacher's pie, I just do my work and when I have to study for something I do. God!

When I started secondary school, at about the age of 11.

No, if people don't like me for who I am then they can go f*ck off. I'm not changing who I am for some tit who wants me to basically be them.

Random-ness:
Sophie Ellis-Bextor, 'Take Me Home'. I think Cher might have sung it...dunno though. I've just got my whole 333track media library on shuffle. ^^;;

Cheesey
16th February 2004, 05:34 PM
Yeah, but it's not happened as much lately as it once used to. I used to get 'OMG you're an outcast hahaha~~' but people have settled with that fact now and I'm perfectly happy with it. Even if I do get any stereotypical comments it doesn't bug me.

They did make fun of me once upon a time because I was rather cold and unsociable, but now they've come to grips with the fact that I don't really give a damn about what they think about me, so they don't really bug me about that.

Nope.

Sort of. They don't mind me - We just don't talk to one another, and if we have to (e.g class assignment or something) then we're on decent enough terms to talk. So yeah, it's alright. I'm not really disliked by a lot of people anymore.

Outcast, basically. Sometimes I'm called a goth, which is weird. O_o; Sure, I listen to some gothic music, but I'm not a goth. I'm just me and I like it like that. I deny being a goth because I'm not one, but I don't deny being an outcast, because I know it's true.

Outcast. ;P And I accept it.

When I first began high school. I never mixed with all the other kids in my year who were from different schools, so I kinda broke apart from people, and then the started the insults and stuff.

No, I haven't. If I'm not accepted, then so be it.

Muse with their song Apocalypse Please. It kinda describes me I guess... Sometimes I always think negatively and this song is rather negative. I think that's it, though. >_< Now this song is going round and round my head and it won't go away. @_@

titandude21
16th February 2004, 05:42 PM

Random-ness:

1. hell yeah

2. always, but all they end up doing is wasting their time.

3. very often

4. i don't think so, and i don't care if they do

5. bunch of random asian stereotypes, such as being a smartass, studyass, and a bunch of cultural routines. i'm completely different from the normal asian, but their stereotypes are true

6. i'm a slacker, i try to take shortcuts whenever it's a feasible option

7. whenever kids started learning about stereotypes

8. never, never, never...
anything, including death > doing something that you normally wouldn't do to gain acceptance

9. i'm listening to the humming of my computer when it's on... it describes the setting of a good chunk of my life

stickachu
16th February 2004, 07:17 PM
Not so much now that I'm in college, but I'm sure everyone one does at some point.

In high school, I was one of the "popular" ones. So I'd have to say no.

Who hasn't?

Yeah. But that doesn't mean I accept them! Grrr!

I was called a poser for shopping at Hot Topic. But it's the only place I can find pirate shirts!

Oh, I know I'm a geek inside. But nobody thinks of me that way, so I'm not going to treat myself like one.

First grade. I was smarter than everyone else, so it happens

Uhh... Can't think of any times. I just try to be myself.

Random-ness:
The Darkness - I Believe in a Thing Called Love. Right now, it doesn't describe me. Especially after another lonely V-Day.

EmpressMyuu
16th February 2004, 07:56 PM
(unsheathes her long shiny silver "Prep Sword") Don't worry, GL, I'll stop the preps for you! (charges forward with sword) DIE PREPS D--oh. (looks around, sees no preps) Ohhh. Sorry. (puts sword back in and sweatdrops) :P

1. Damn straight. It's something I face every year.
2. Gee, you really know what I've been through, eh Gothic Latias? Yes, I've been tormented because of my social status and personality. And sometimes a few try to turn me into one. It's been bad. I've had around 15 preps corner me at once...
3. Yes. The way a lot of girls keep talking about junk like sex at my school, asking crap like if I'm still a virgin (and I am), I'm obviously an outcast to them. With a few of them, they act like me being the "smart girl" is a bad thing, like I won't attract any guys that way, plus they try to take advantage of it. But I can fend them off. "Sure, I'll give you some of the answers...but only a few of them." :P Pure ownage.
4. If you mean peers as in FRIENDS, yes I am. But if you mean everyone that knows me, I'm a social reject to a majority of them. Especially the girls in my P.E. class.
5. As I've said before, I've been called to my face "the smart girl" by a prep and then she and her friend laughed about it. It was a science lab. I was left to do all the work, while they acted dumb and ditzy and talked about boys and makeup. They act like you have to be dumb to attract a guy. Yeah right. Girls, studies actually show that you tend to attract more guys if you have your nose stuck in a book rather than a powderpuff. Intelligence rocks.
6. I don't know what I am, I'm just more of an outcast rather than anything. Depending on my interests, I'm not a full-fledged goth, more like a semigoth as I call it. My really gothic side usually comes out while I write poetry. But there's certain things I like that are kinda preppy...I'm listening to a techno CD right now, and my favorite colors are blue and pink, but I also like black and red.
7. It's been going on about since the eighth grade. Me thinks it was Mrs. Payne's fault for always siding with the preps.
8. I haven't, but since I usually don't wear makeup, my friend Tiffany gave me a makeover. Of course, I didn't mind, it actually looked pretty, and a lot of people were complimenting me more than usual. As for natural features that I haven't changed, people keep telling me that my hair looks longer (it's already really long), and getting prettier too. It also looks more golden. :D

Random-ness:
9. "Around the World" by ATC. It doesn't really describe me, but it's really fun. I usually like heavy metal/gothic rock, but I bought the CD "Fired Up" to have a little variety. Despite some of the preppier ones, it's pretty fun :D. (goes back to singing) La la la la la...

shazza
16th February 2004, 08:47 PM
-Yep, I believe all schools do.
-Ummm, "popular" people don't laugh at me, I am friend swith them.
-Obviously.
-Yes, everyone loves me :yes:
-People sometimes joke around and call me a nerd because I am smart :wave:, but then I call them something worse 8)
-I don't know.
-I don't know.
-No, I don't need to be a try hard

Angel Blossom
16th February 2004, 11:33 PM

Of course, lol. What highschool doesn't face all the labels or stereotypes?

Well, that has only happened to me in middle school. ^^' I was sad about it & stuff, but now that I think of it, it was silly. The only people who try to torment me these days are a group of girls who think they're all that. They call me a ****, whitewashed (I'm Spanish but I look very.. 'white' =P), etc. I don't care anymore.. they're really ugly and rude, its no wonder why they act that way.

Those girls I mentioned previously also call me a preppy *****. XD I'm not! I'm a nice girl, and I'm definately not preppy. My clothes, on the other hand.. maybe maybe my clothes are kind of preppy - but they're cute! ;-;

Yeah! ^^ A lot of people like me. I've got tons of friends in my highschool. I'm very social at school and lots of kids say I'm friendly, so thats why. :D

They don't label me, lolz.. :D

I have no clue. XD I don't like labeling myself or others, you know..

Never! XD Well, the group of girls who bug me at my highschool have been that way ever since I was a freshman. Its their problem, oh well.

Well.. I guess you could say so, in a way. As soon as I began at my HS, I was really nice, honest & friendly with everyone I met. People accepted me, and they seem to like me and stuff. :>

I'm listening to "Love Me Do" by The Beatles. It does describe me.. (?).. it describes how I like the Beatles? XD

Nice polls :wave:

Razola
17th February 2004, 12:31 AM
Of course, but it's college so it's all ethnical.

Oh you silly jews...

Popular? Wha? This does not exist on a campus of 30,000 students. Furthermore, no one gives a damn about it. Such things are left to the kids in grade school.

Maybe, I forget/didn't care.

I would think, or else they wouldn't be willing to live with me.

Fat. Which is true, as a matter of fact it's practically my nickname. Fat, "The Fatman", etc. It's just BSing, really.

DOES NOT COMPUTE, DOES NOT COMPUTE.

If I really am it, then how can I deny it? How can I deny it if I consider myself it.

Invalid question.

Since the being of memory. It's comedy goldmine, you gothic communist jew-monger.

I don't think I've tried anything. Except talk to people. Success varies.

"Nightgown of the Sullen Moon" by They Might Be Giants.

Maybe, I just think it sounds good. TMBG rocks.

Jamesology101
17th February 2004, 11:03 AM
I'm not at school anymore, I'm at university, but when I was I don't think I was stereotyped or labelled. Maybe as "the quiet one", but nothing vicious or insulting.

See, this must be an American thing, because I never even witnessed any dramas about popularity during my entire school career. You had your friends, you had people you knew, and you probably had a few enemies whom you didn't like and who didn't like you right back. There were fights and stuff, but no popular elite or anything like that. For the most part, everybody was friendly and nice towards everyone, even extremely strange people like me. In answer to the second part, nobody has ever tried to make me become one of the popular kids, because such a group didn't exist.

Nope.

At school, just about everybody liked and accepted me, and vice versa. We made fun of each other, but I was never persecuted or bullied a day in my life. And it's not like I went to some posh exlusive school - my high school is actually quite looked down on in my hometown. But I couldn't personally have asked for a better bunch of classmates.

I've never been called it in an insulting way, but the term "weird" or "strange" was probably bandied about quite a bit, albeit affectionately. And that's not exactly a stereotype. I am strange.

In some ways I'm a little bit of a gay stereotype sometimes, because I can occasionally act quite queer and I think Barbara Streisand is just brilliant. But in other ways I'm not like that at all.

Never.

It's only as I got older that I realised just how different from everybody else I was, and how weird they must think I am. Thankfully, by that stage I was mature enough not to try to change myself to fit in.

I just finished listening to Barbara Streisand singing "Don't Rain On My Parade". ^^; Really. I'm afraid that defines a part of me all too well, heh....

Royal_Goddess_Tina
17th February 2004, 01:35 PM
- I don't go to school... But when I did, I used too...
- The popular people have tried to get me to be one of them back in elementary school...
-Not that I'm aware of...
- Yes... What's not to like?
- I don't think people call me a stereotype...
- I am not a stereotype person, really...
- ditto.
-Not that I am aware of...

Random-ness:
- Yeh Wada reh something rather... I always forget the name... It's by DJ Aqeel... Yes, it describes me...

en0miz
18th February 2004, 08:33 PM
I suppose. I'm the ghetto type... y'know, the typical black, usually loud for no reason, rap and r&b listening, urban clothes wearing girl in your low budget inner city high school. :D

No. No one here really cares how you act, except for the few people that just get on everyone's nerves. Being/acting ghetto is the norm where I live and at my high school, so my personality is accepted.

Nope. I have gotten a few stereotypical questions from non-black people over the years ("Since you're black, can you get a sunburn?"), but besides that, nothing too negative.

Since most of my peers fit the ghetto stereotype, yeah. o_o I remember in 8th grade, I was one of the two black girls in a basically all white class... I came to school one day with my hair all done in cornrows and some valley girl I hardly talked to ever came up to me and said "Simone! That style is like, soo you!" xD Anyways, I guess non-ghetto people might seem uncomfortable around me for whatever reason, but usually become relaxed once we get to know each other.

Like I've been saying, I'm ghetto. Do I deny it? Hell no. xD

Look at question 5.

I suppose I started acting like the typical black female teen when I became a teen, silly. During my elementary years I was your typical little kid living in the hood (the good ole days.... riding your bike around the area until sundown, buying cheap candy from the local Spanish deli, hanging out at the city park all summer). Okay, I'm done. :>

No. If you don't accept me for who I am, then, oh well.

Random-ness:
"All Falls Down" - Kanye West. Not really, but there's a line in it that goes "Single black female addicted to retail..." I guess that can describe me. Who doesn't like going shopping? xD

Wow, this is a long *** post. o_O

Craig
18th February 2004, 08:44 PM

Not really :| Obviously there are times where you meet someone, and they say something about you depending on how you dress, but not exactly, my school is fairly good natured.

Not really, I tend to be on fairly good terms with most people... Infact I am fairly good friends with one of the "popular" people.

People would call me albino (offensively) because I was pretty pale, it didn't and shouldn't bother me...:| Infact they might have been joking but its the principal that they would say that :P

I can get along with nearly anyone unless they are a complete social moron.

"Your wearing so much black, are u a goth?" I don't know whether to say I am or not, because 80% of the "goths" I know are infact just greenies. So compared to them..yes, I would be a goth 8)

I am a Craig. I do not deny this.

I don't remember.

No I met my friends at a very young age and continue to be friends with them, usually people I meet are through them indirectly or I sit next to them / near them in a class etc.

Random-ness:

:| Im listening to "Judas' Song" from the jesus christ superstar. It doesn't describe me at all except maybe for being kinda weird for listening to that willingly.

Moltrecuno
19th February 2004, 12:12 AM

Random-ness:

1. I faced it mostly in Middle School. When I reached High School, the only stereotyping was "Oh, you're a senior." or "Oh you're a Freshman. Stupid Freshman". Not too bad.

2. No one ever tormented me, but I've had some experiences where people are nice to me and try to lure me into their group just to be nice. I'm very anti-social. I guess if I did follow them, I wouldn't be posting in this place now would I?

3. I probably was, but I don't remember.

4. Everyone accepts me pretty much. The only time I'm not accepted with some people is if I don't follow what they say or I don't see the same thing in certain issues that they believe.

5. If someone stereotypes me its usually the innocent girl, shy and quiet girl, asian girl, etc.

6. I don't really think I can stereotype myself. I have equal skills in most areas like intelligence, athletics, and even playing video games. So I guess its hard just to identify me with a single stereotype.

7. In Kindergarten when I was told I'm too shy towards people. *shrug* Yes, I can remember that far back of my past. I'm 17 and can remember most of what happened to me up to when I was 2 years old. >_>;

8. Btw, I did these things below to get accepted at first, but now its just part of my character so meh. In school, I tried to help people in their schoolwork. My result was people who constantly like to copy off of me and I'm tired of it. In these forums(particularly the ASB), I did do some helpful services and helped people around the place. My result is that I get more or less ignored after voicing an opinion to hopefully help the state of the particular forum. Do helpful people always get rewarded like this? -_- *sigh*

9. I'm listening to "Meant to Live" by Switchfoot. I guess it can relate to doing more things in life and maybe saying stereotyping is pointless. I guess its best not to let your life pass you by with problems like this.

"Dreaming about Providence
And whether mice or men have second tries
Maybe we've been livin with our eyes half open
Maybe we're bent and broken, broken

We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
Somewhere we live inside
Somewhere we live inside
We were meant to live for so much more
Have we lost ourselves?
Somewhere we live inside "

~Meant to Live

^==Note the amount of boredom I had within me to put those lyrics in there. ^_^;

~M~

Soneko
19th February 2004, 10:58 AM

1. Sometimes. I hate stereotypes, so I just ignore them.
2. Mmm... well, people dont really know me. So they just ignore me.
3. All stereotypes are bad. And yes, I probably have.
4. Yes...
5. Uhm... I cant remember. But its impossible to 'be' a stereotype.
6. I repeat... its impossible to be a stereotype. THe end...
7. When I was born?
8. No. Meh.

RedStarWarrior
20th February 2004, 02:04 AM
Nope.
Not really. I go to a university with a large commuter population. Of course, I live on campus so I don't even react with 1/50 of the student body.
Nope.
Most people I meet (in RL) like me. It is only the internet that causes me problems.
N/A
I don't really fall into a stereotype. I am not all white so I don't fall into the caucasian stereotype. I don't really know.
No, I never try anything to be accepted besides being myself.
Random-ness:
I am not listening to anything.

AntiAsh Superstar
20th February 2004, 07:07 PM
1. No, I don't go to school any longer, and I really do think I've reached the stage where I couldn't care less if I do get stereotyped!

2. I always hung out with the 'odd but curiously likeable' crowd at school, we were a curious bunch who were total freaks but somkehow managed to get on with everyone by virtue of being too silly to dislike!

3. I'm sure many people would love to label me a 'goth' on account of my taste in clothing, for a short period I slipped into the stereotype, but then realised the 'airheaded rock bloke' label fitted me much better despite a love for melancholy rock and a conviction that crushed velvet pirate-style shirts are the best thing ever. @_@;;;;

4. People accept me, they have no choice. I've gotten the odd funny look before but no more than that. I'm good at being inoffensive, so that usually works in my favour.

5. See no. 3 for this one. I used to ask for it, I really did, ffs I gave myself a username based on a Marilyn Manson album!

6. Nothing really, maybe punk/goth/rock/moron hybrid, I tend to take the bits I like from a style, ignore the bits I don't like and merge it with what I've already got. If anything I'm more 'random rocker dude' than anything else, in the Lemmy from Motorhead style, only considerably younger. :D

7. Oh, I got a bit of it when I first started getting into the alternative scene, befroe that I never really got sterotyped at all, never really had much of an identity to speak of.

8. Never tried, seems like more hassle than it's worth, coz if you do something just to be accepted then you end up disliking yourself... you can't please everyone, so you might as well make sure that you're at least pleasing yourself!

9. The Offspring - Race Against Myself. I think in a way there is something in there, at least about the way I've been in the past before I calmed down a little! ^_^;;;;

The Rusted One
22nd February 2004, 12:08 AM
I don't really think there's any stereotyping once you get beyond highschool, so no. Maybe some people judge others based on looks, but I don't think I'm stereotyped at all at uni.

First part - no, I don't think so. The thing people picked on about me was that I had red hair and I was smart. I used to be excluded sometimes, but that was based on being someone to target because I was "different".

Not really, no; I mean, aside from my cousin and his friends deciding that it would be fun to call me "gay", with malicious intent, when I was 14. I don't really talk to him anymore - and that wasn't really a stereotype, either. It was more just a word.

Yeah, all of my friends do - and I'd say peers do, too. Sometimes, though, I feel paranoid that people are passing judgement on me behind my back, or something, but I think that's only paranoia.

Well, my peers don't; the worst I've been called is "gay", like I said, by my cousin. Previously I would have flat-out said, "no, I'm not," but at this point I'd just ignore it. It shouldn't matter to them, anyway, but I'm not picky who I'm in a relationship with anyway (they call it "pansexuality", apparently).

I don't think I am a stereotype, really - unless there's one about being intelligent (not to toot my own horn) and having red hair.

When I was 5, with the, "you're weird cos you have red hair," thing.

Not to my knowledge, no. If anything, it would have been getting my mum, a teacher at my school when I was about 6, to make the other kids let me play tag with them. I can't really remember the results - I think some didn't mind, and others were still a bit iffy. I don't think the usual, "can't fight your own battles," thing was really something 6 year olds (at least, those 6 year olds) understood too well.

Nothing, and no, I can't say it really does.

Little_Pikachu
22nd February 2004, 10:37 AM

There are people who fall into stereotypes, yes.

I think in school all the 'popular' kids were scared of my personality, I was decently respected. I was quite dark and morbid and while that's actually the normal, popular thing to be these days, back when I was at school I was the minority.

I've been called a goth before, which is weird because I'm actually not :) I don't mind being called a goth, but I do mind being put in the same boat as all the teeny-greeny* posers.
*Teenager who only hopped on the goth bandwagon because it's the cool, in thing to do.

Yes, I have loads of friends. I'm in university where most people are more mature than in school, so we don't go around rejecting people because of thier choice of lifestyle.

I get called a lot of the goth/skater/punk stereotypes, but I'll be the first to admit I'm none of the above. I am myself, labels are for cans.

*Points up* I don't. If anything I'd have to say I'm an anti-stereotype.

In early middle school I started becoming aware of how the different stereotypes were and how I wasn't going to fall into any one of them.

No, if people can't accept me for doing what I do then I don't really want to be accepted by them. I'd never do anything that makes me feel uncomfortable or something that isn't me just to be 'cool'.

Random-ness:

I'm not listening to anything.

Deus Mortuorum
22nd February 2004, 12:46 PM
1. Not me personally...my school has such a reputation for being peaceful and smart and nice so most people have to hide their prejudices.
2. Not really...I'm sure it's happened to everyone but it's not the end of the world.
3. There are no stereotypes about Hungarian people :P The only stereotype I can think of is white man's (lack of) dancing talent (which is true in my case).
4. Eh...mixed. I seem to have a lot more friends in the older classes than my own. My own grade seems to hate me. But **** em they suck.
5. I acknowledge it myself, I have absolutely no dancing talent. I don't even try anymore, I jut end up embarrassing myself.
6. For the third time, just the lack of ability to shake my bon bon.
7. It hasn't.
8. Ehh I'd rather not say...let's just say you can't please everyone.
9. Green Day - Longview I have LOTS in common with this song, it's not even funny.