PDA

View Full Version : You draft?

Razola
17th February 2004, 12:22 AM
Ho man, I just had my first since November, and I forgot how much fun it is. It was also my first draft with Darksteel, and it's a nice set for it. I got stomped (0-3, didn't win a single game) against a group of guys trying to PTQs, but I always have a good time, win or lose.

Who else here drafts? I have found it much better than constructed formats. Very fun and makes it the game less money-based.

Alec Trevelyan
17th February 2004, 10:10 AM
hum, i draft on magic online sometimes... next week we have a ptq here, but it's sealed, which i prefer, but i hate this block w/ so many artifacts, the constructed and limited decks are so bad, good old times when we used to play invasion/odissey blocks... :yes:

Razola
17th February 2004, 06:07 PM
The artifacts are what makes it such a great draft set. You never get screwed out of your color because there's always an abundance of artifacts. My R/U deck had only five red cards and four blue cards.

Cah-razy.

Red Angel
17th February 2004, 09:57 PM
I don't play Magic anymore, but I've played in drafts... the last one was a Mirrodin draft. I made a white equip deck (2 Bonesplitters :D) and still lost... because my opponent kept using Crystal Shard to bounce his Tel-Jilad archers to keep my Skyhunter Patrol away. I only realized later that that shouldn't have happened due to pro-artifacts :(

On the bright side, I pulled a chrome mox and sold it for $20... so I made $8 on the draft :D

Razola
17th February 2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Red Angel
On the bright side, I pulled a chrome mox and sold it for $20... so I made $8 on the draft :D
Rare drafter! My group plays for picks.

Alec Trevelyan
18th February 2004, 07:57 AM
hum, sometimes i draftes for rares, it worth when u get a chrme mox, glimmervoid....

Razola
18th February 2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Alec Trevelyan
hum, sometimes i draftes for rares, it worth when u get a chrme mox, glimmervoid....
That's why my group always plays for picks.

EDIT: I like how only the Magic players come into my threads. But I'm sure there's a limited format for other games, right?

Red Angel
19th February 2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by Raz
Rare drafter! My group plays for picks.

It was a store tourney, so if I didn't pick it, the person after me would have for sure. Plus the pack sucked overall in my colors.

EDIT: I like how only the Magic players come into my threads. But I'm sure there's a limited format for other games, right? [/B][/QUOTE]

I know there's a draft format for YuGiOh, but that's just silly. With the inflated prices of the rare cards, anyone who takes even a very good common over a bad but valuable rare needs to check for brain cells. Plus 90% of all YuGiOh cards are just abysmal.

Razola
19th February 2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by Red Angel
It was a store tourney, so if I didn't pick it, the person after me would have for sure. Plus the pack sucked overall in my colors.
You misunderstood me. "Play for picks" means that we take our decks apart and then lay out the rares on the table. Each person gets to pick a card, starting with the tournament winner, then 2nd place, then 3rd place, and then so on. Commons are normally kept by the person who drafted them, but uncommons sometimes use this system.

It's a great system, too. Keeps the dumbassery low. You want that shiny, but crap-in-limited rare? Then draft smart.

I know there's a draft format for YuGiOh, but that's just silly. With the inflated prices of the rare cards, anyone who takes even a very good common over a bad but valuable rare needs to check for brain cells.
Which is why you play for picks. Excellent system. Try to get your local store to use it.

Plus 90% of all YuGiOh cards are just abysmal.
I think 100% of them are abysmal, but that's just me. Magic draft is all I'll ever need. I draft more than I play in constructed tourneys now.

Red Angel
19th February 2004, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Raz
I think 100% of them are abysmal, but that's just me. Magic draft is all I'll ever need. I draft more than I play in constructed tourneys now.

No, YuGiOh actually has some pretty cool concepts, but they're so burried by the mound of commercialized crap that you'd need an industrial-strength shovel to reach.

Draft is a great format becuase you get double the fun out of your cards. :D

Razola
24th February 2004, 06:45 PM
I dominated last week's draft.

Just look at this deck:

Creatures: 15
1 Vedalken Engineer
1 Spire Golem
2 Skyhunter Cub
1 Solier Replica
2 Goblin Replica
2 Pteron Ghost
2 Spikeshot Goblin
1 Rustmouth Ogre
1 Auriok Transfixer
1 Razor Golem
1 Leaden Myr

Other Spells: 9
1 Shatter
2 Echoing Ruin
1 Murderous Spoils
1 Unforge
1 Electrostatic Bolt
1 Talisman of Indulgence
1 Vulshok Morngingstar
1 Vulshok Gauntlets

Land: 16
7 Mountain
6 Plain
3 Island

This deck was a force of nature, going 10-1. The only time I lost was when I decided to keep a hand with three white creatures and no plains. Poor mistake on my part.

The best play I had was a Murderous Spoils on a creature with a Fireshrieker and a Skullclamp. Needless to say, I won that game.

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 12:43 AM
<sees deck list>

<dies>

Oh... my... god... 2 Goblin Relicas and 2 Spikeshots? Yeah. Damn. Either those packs were just chock-full of goodness or the other drafters were just... yeah.

Coincidentally, have you ever read any of the Magic novels? I just bought the two from the Mirrodin cycle a few days ago, and I found them an interesting (if quick) read.

Razola
25th February 2004, 12:48 AM
I only buy them if I get a fat pack.

So far I've only bought one fat pack.

Moons of Mirrodin was a very quick, dull read. Too simplistic and it felt like Gissa was Xena or something. I also felt like she was checking of each color:

-Green
-Red
-White
-Black
-Back to Green
-Red
-Finish in Blue

Maybe good for Middle Schoolers, but not a serious read.

And yes, there were many newbies in the draft that weekend. I actually had two Turn to Dusts in my others pile, which I felt was overkill in terms of artifact kill (and I also was pushing it on my colors as it was, and blue won over green).

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Raz
Moons of Mirrodin was a very quick, dull read.
Yeah... it was quick, but not all that dull. Plus I've been reading all sorts of seriousness for some time (several Hemmingway novels, Catch 22, some Dickens stuff), so I just needed a chance to not have to think about what I'm reading, for once.

Originally posted by Raz
Too simplistic and it felt like Gissa was Xena or something.

O_o. Let's not go there, ok?

Originally posted by Raz
And yes, there were many newbies in the draft that weekend. I actually had two Turn to Dusts in my others pile, which I felt was overkill in terms of artifact kill (and I also was pushing it on my colors as it was, and blue won over green).

Yeah. You know your deck is already too good when you don't include 2 turn to dusts in it. Wow.

Razola
25th February 2004, 01:31 AM
Darksteel always makes me want to go blue. With the Engineers and the lovely Spire Golems, I also consider splashing blue. Black is also a tempting color when you get into darksteel. Its echo card and crazy stuff like Murderous Spoils and even Grimclaw Bats are very nice (and splashable, thank God).

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 06:47 PM
I haven't played Magic much recently due to money issues: small allowance + no part-time job = small amount of cards = weak deck, but I think I'll try apprentice. It looks nifty.

Razola
25th February 2004, 06:52 PM
Apprentice is good, and I draft mainly because I can't afford to get a lot of the cards required for construction.

Draft is my favorite format, though. Cheap and awesome.

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Apprentice is good, and I draft mainly because I can't afford to get a lot of the cards required for construction.

Yeah, it is pretty cheap... but I can still only afford to play once a month :(

Do you play apprentice?

Razola
25th February 2004, 07:02 PM
Not often (since I have no one to play against) but I have it.

Check my profile for screen name if you want to play,

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 07:07 PM
I see like 3 screen names... but which one is it?

I just need to figure out how to disable my firewall... then I'll gladly play you.

Too bad there's no draft, but sealed looks nifty.

I couldn't find a darksteel patch. Is there one?

Razola
25th February 2004, 07:23 PM
Rorus Raz is it for AIM.

To disable firewall, just go to My Computer > Control Panel > Network Connections > Right Click and select "poperties" for Local Area Connection > Advanced Tab > uncheck the box.

Just google darksteel apprentice patch, I think Magic e-League has it.

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 07:27 PM
No, I have a different firewall... and it's password-protected. I'll have to wait till my parent can disable it :(

Oh, and Magic e-league is down. Or I can't access them. Or both. If you have the patch, can you send it to me?

Razola
25th February 2004, 07:33 PM
it's a bit too big to send, I also forget what exactly to send.

Just google it. I'm sure other sites have it by now.

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 10:27 PM
Whee... found it. I can play now, or PM me whenever. If you have MSN, you can use that. My msn is evilweasel2k1@hotmail.com