PDA

View Full Version : Poll: That numbing feeling

The_Missing_Link
17th February 2004, 06:53 PM
About a few hours ago, I had my bottom two wisdom teeth taken out and now I'm a dizzy and numbed fool making a poll for god know's what reason. Still, it prompted me to do this before I forgot (and if anyone is wondering, I'm ok but I won't be able to have solid food for a couple of days)

1) Ever been operated on to take out wisdom teeth (or any other teeth for that matter)?
2) If so, how long did it take for you to recuperate?
3) What kind of teeth do you have (as in, do you have braces, wear a retainer or are they perfect)?

1) This was my first operation ever and they gave me twilight anathesia and nitrous oxide so I wouldn't feel a thing. It was rather ok but I don't like the prospect of going back to get my upper wisdom teeth taken out

2) It'll probably take about a week for me to return to normal. Right now, I'm dizzy, half asleep and the right side of my lip and teeth are rather numb. I just had to come on here though and share my story ^^

3) Besides this, my teeth are straight and cavitity free (which is rare in my family). They are stained however due to soda and fluoride so I plan to get them whitened when I'm older

Charizard04621
17th February 2004, 07:14 PM
1) Ever been operated on to take out wisdom teeth (or any other teeth for that matter)?

x_X Yes, it wasn't a pleasant experience.

2) If so, how long did it take for you to recooperate?

For me to recuperate? Hmm... Well, for the wounds to heal fully, probably about 3 weeks. In about 1 week I could eat food other than nasty oatmeal, porridge, and bread though.

3) What kind of teeth do you have (as in, do you have braces, wear a retainer or are they perfect)?

I used to have braces... Got a nighttime retainer now.

And I really got scared at that numbing feeling. I was instructed to take my medicine as soon as I got home. When I tried to, I found that because I could not feel my lips at all, I was not capable of swallowing water or that pill. A ton of blood fell because I like, dropped the water from my mouth onto the floor... It was really gross...

Adz44
17th February 2004, 07:19 PM
2) If so, how long did it take for you to recooperate?

1. Indeed I have. Back in '98, I had some molars taken out at a hosptial. I was asleep during the whole thing. When I woke up, I was in agony. Stayed in hosptial for the night. After that, I went home.

The next night, blood clots started coming out from where my teeth were missing. It was about midnight and a doctor had to open the surgery just for me. After examination, I had to go to hospital straight away. The hospital in Bangor couldn't do anything, so I was sent to another hospital called Glan Clwyd in Abergele. I had my gums stitched again. After a night-in there, I went back home.

That wasn't the end, however. My gums starting bleeding yet again. This time, it was sorted out in Bangor. There was a dentist on site. He used proper stitches, not the disolvable ones. Thankfully, that was more or less the end of my troubles.

2. Due to the complications, it took almost a week. Mentally, I was fine, but I wasn't able to eat solids for a bit.

3. I'm currently having some work done on mine. The dentist I see is trying to save as much teeth as she can. I'm confident that most of my teeth will be alright. I take a lot more care with my teeth these days. I still drink Pepsi (someone try and stop me! lol), but I brush regularly.

DarkTemplarZ
17th February 2004, 08:14 PM
1) Not operated really, I had to have a really bad tooth taken out while I was awake, it was terrible.

2) A week, feh

3) My teeth have been good since I was about eight, I brush twice every day and my teeth are pretty good, not perfect tho.

RedStarWarrior
17th February 2004, 08:44 PM
Yes, I had my wisom teeth cut out as a precautionary measure in case they came in crooked.
A day...
They are indeed perfect because I have excellent dental care.

stickachu
17th February 2004, 10:08 PM
1. Not really. One of my front teeth is fake though (I broke it out soon after my permanent tooth had finally come in.)

2. N/A

3. Other than the crown, my teeth are poifect. :D See?

Number1ChanseyFan
17th February 2004, 10:09 PM

I had to have my bottom two baby canine teeth removed when I was 14. I had already lost all of my baby teeth, but these two teeth never became loose for whatever reason, and finally, the adult teeth started coming in on the inside of my baby teeth, so they had to be pulled. O_o

Not long at all!! The most annoying part was the numbness, and I couldn't really talk too good. I went in to get my teeth pulled at 10:00 in the morning, and the procedure went fine, I didn't really feel anything, except for the shots that they gave me to numb my mouth. The numbness didn't really start wearing off until around 4:00 in the afternoon, and that was kinda irritating, because I couldn't really talk, I could make sounds and stuff, but I couldn't move my lips or anything, so nobody could really understand what I was saying. The dentist said that I should eat soft food for the rest of the day, but I was feeling good, and I had a Chicken McNugget meal from McDonald's that same night. When it was time to go to bed, there was a little soreness from where my teeth were taken out, but it was nothing bad, and by morning, it was like nothing ever happened.

I don't have braces anymore, I wore them for a couple of years. My teeth aren't completely perfect though, the two adult canine teeth that came in where the baby teeth were pulled from haven't completely moved into place yet, they are a little bit behind the other teeth, but it is nothing major. There is still a chance they may move into place within another year or so, if they don't, then I may have to get braces again, so get those teeth where they belong. They don't really look too bad though right now.

Andrew
18th February 2004, 05:18 AM

1) Yes, I had my wisdom teeth taken out in 2002. It was the same time as the school ski trip, and about the same cost too. So instead of spending the money on seeing snow for the first time I got to get my wisdom teeth out. I was working at sizzlers till 1am, had to wake up at 4:30 to leave at 5 and be there at 6. Got in there at 7 (The operating room) and was absolutely scared. I was supposed to wake up at about 9, but I didn't till about 1 in the arvo and they had to use drugs to wake me up. I felt absolutely fantastic, apart from the fact I couldn't speak. We went to the video store and I couldn't talk lol. And I got home and at 4 just collapsed.

Other teeth removed.... 2 on the bottom, one on the top. My teeth are just really really strong so the woman had a horrible time trying to get it out and had to put her foot on the machine and get the assistant to hold me down to get it out. That was when I was 12... awful awful times.

2) After the first day it was pure hell. I took about a week to recuperate properly, but didn't heal for about 2. I spent the week drugged out on merdysonal. Sweet sweet yellow tablets. Apparently when we ran out I got really angry and needed more lol.

3) I had AWFUL teeth I got 3 pulled, then I got braces for a year, then I had to have my gums slit (Peri-incision) to prevent them turning back, that killed one of my teeth, (I need to get a root canal on that one :( ) then I wore a retainer for 3 years, and I still have a bottom retainer which I have till I'm 21. Its a steel thing that goes over two of my molars and makes it look like all steel, and it has a wire behind it... I can't remember what my teeth at the back feel like..

But they look good now! kinda... I need them bleached or something.

Jay Umbreon
18th February 2004, 05:45 AM
1) Nope, never had to have my wisdom teeth taken out.

3) Don't wear braces...don't have a retainer...don't have any fillings. Guess that means they're perfect....well, not perfect, good :)

~Jay

Silver Ledian
18th February 2004, 02:46 PM

1) I have never had any wisdom teeth taken out. I have had 1 tooth removed by the dentist and I was only 10, so I screamed blue murder. I don't go to the dentist anymore really. I don't like it. As long as I brush my teeth regularly, I'm fine IMO ^^;

2) For that tooth that was taken out, I almost fainted. When I got home I slept for a few hours and then woke up and wondered how I'd got through it all.

3) I don't have braces or a retainer but my teeth aren't perfect. Two of them look quite vampire-like but I mean, not vampire...just a bit sharp. They're pretty okay though. I have 2 fillings I think, dunno if they're still there though XD

dark_tyranitar
18th February 2004, 03:03 PM
Nope.

N/A

I can't say that they're perfect, but I don't wear anything on them.

Moonlight Espeon
18th February 2004, 03:15 PM

1. Nope.
2. N/A
3. They aren't perfect, I'll need braces soon, just biding out my time

shazza
21st February 2004, 03:43 AM
-Nope.
-N/A
-Mine are perfect, never had a cavity once :wave:

Deus Mortuorum
22nd February 2004, 12:52 PM
1. Nope, but one orthodontist wanted to pull 4 teeth before he slapped on braces...psycho.
2. --
3. Nothing, I was going to get braces a while ago but my teeth seemed to have straightened out. Nothing big.

The Rusted One
22nd February 2004, 11:21 PM
No, unless someone's been doing so without my knowledge.

N/A

They're "perfect", which I'm glad about as both my elder brother and younger sister have teeth in need of braces to stop those at the side pointing forwards. Last time I went to the dentist's (after not having been for...five years?), she wanted to take a photograph because they were in line and needed nothing done to change the way they sat/sit (she didn't end up doing so, perhaps because they were stained yellowish from Diet Coke consumption, or because she had just put in three fillings [look perfect...] without anaesthesia, and probably thought I probably didn't want her to do so.

Crystal Mew
22nd February 2004, 11:40 PM
1. Not my wisdom teeth yet.... but when I as 7 or so, I got 4 baby teeth pulled. don't really recall that...but when I was 13, I had 2 baby teeth, and four permanent teeth pulled >_<; pulled my baby teeth out on two, I think top left and right, then got my permanent ones underneath....and then the bottom molars (right, left) ...I knew it wasn't going to be pleasent, so I insisted they put me to sleep while they did this...so thats what they did :/ but when I woke up, or when they tried to wake me up afterwards, I kept trying to faint on them o_o; I kept going pale (says my mom) and then blacking out.....I must have done that like 4 times ^_^;;; not to fun. But I'm bracing myself to get my wisdom teeth out...I dunno if I have to, I'm guessing, so... I don't figure it could be possibly worse then what I've already been through :wave:

2. Geeze.... I couldn't eat anything since it was my molars on each side of my mouth >_>; I had to eat soup for like a week, soft foods the next 2 weeks, and so on...it wasn't fun :<

3. I had braces (thats why they pulled my teeth) but no retainers anymore.....long story ;/

Fett One
23rd February 2004, 08:23 PM
No, but I have been told that I need to have them taken out. I just don't feel like doing it right now since they aren't bothering me.

N/A

I had braces at one time. My teeth aren't completely straight but they are much better then they were before the braces.

Royal_Goddess_Tina
24th February 2004, 09:08 AM
-Nope...
- N/a
- They aren't perfect, but I don't think they require braces or a retainer...

Wolfsong
27th February 2004, 10:58 AM

As for as wisdom teeth no. In fact, I only got one of my 12 year molars, so i dont' think i'll have to worry about them. Though when i was 8 or 9 (can't remember exactly) I had one of my upper canines cut out of my jaw. I didn't have enough room in my mouth for it to emerge.

Surprisingly it didn't take that long, and the stitches were disolvable so i didn't have to go back to the dental surgeon either ^^

They aren't perfect, but I never had to have Braces or anythng. My jaw has a tendency to pop, so teh dentist gave me a retainer to see if that would help but it didn't and i don't even knwo where it went to now. but i never could leave it on for more than a minute.

Linux
28th February 2004, 12:43 AM

No. I've had fillings but that's it.

I don't have braces but I should probably get them. They're not 'perfect', but they aren't that bad either

mr_pikachu
28th February 2004, 05:08 AM

Yeah, I had my lower wisdoms taken out. But that's not the worst part. So what is the worst part, you ask? The fact that I had them taken out right before Christmas. Major aggravation. :mad:

...And this is what made the worst part even worse. It took about three weeks for me to fully recover, since, well, I have a low tolerance for pain. :P But really, I was in pain for at least two weeks afterward, which ran into Christmas. Rrggh!

I have fairly straight teeth, except for two teeth on the right side of my mouth that are trying to cross each other. I wonder what it'd be like if they did... having a canine tooth near the center of my mouth would be pretty darn weird... :o

kurai
4th April 2004, 01:11 PM
1. No, but apparently my dentist is interested in doing so. I reject the concept, however.
2. N/A
3. I don't have any extra teeth equipment that I wear, so I assume they're fine.

abunaidesu
11th June 2004, 11:59 AM
1 - nope.
2 - none
3 - they're almost perfect, but i might have to get braces for a year.

phaedrus
11th June 2004, 11:21 PM
1) Ever been operated on to take out wisdom teeth (or any other teeth for that matter)? nosiree
2) If so, how long did it take for you to recuperate? n/a
3) What kind of teeth do you have (as in, do you have braces, wear a retainer or are they perfect)? retainer

Mab the Mad Clefable
12th June 2004, 10:39 AM
1. No teeth removed.
2. N/A
3. Not perfect - I've got a few fillings and a broken tooth that doesn't bother me, so it's staying as it is!