PDA

View Full Version : What's with this live action?!

Last Exile
18th February 2004, 05:58 AM
Live action Sailor Moon
Live action Initial D
Live action Evangelion
Live action Witch Hunter Robin

Can someone explain this sudden fad with live action?! I've heard really bad things about the Sailor Moon one, the Initial D one has had a lot of problems with staffing and director conflicts, and I hear they now want James Cameron to do it! And honestly, how can the possibly do a decent live version of Evangelion?!

I don't really see the point of live action. Can someone explain this sudden fad?!

EVme15
18th February 2004, 10:46 AM
No, but I can explain a bit about Eva.

Eva (supposedly) has three different Third Impacts that occur. The one in the show, the one in the movies, and the one that they're portraying in the live action. This is probably because they're coming out with a different way to show each, even though they're all Evangelion. The video game that's coming out is more of a half AU/half extension of Eva, so that area of expansion is closed. Technology is now farther then it's ever been (no duh --; ), and they're able to create the Evas using CGI. Thus, they are able to make it live-action. It's a different way of portraying it, and thus, we await the Live Action Eva movie coming out around 2012.

Heald
18th February 2004, 11:43 AM
Even funnier is the Live Action DragonballZ movie they are bringing out apparently. Here is what I can remember:

Tien is being played by Orlando Bloom.
Nappa is being played by former-WCW champion and now WWE wrestler Goldberg.

[/stifle laughter]

Razola
18th February 2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita
I don't really see the point of live action. Can someone explain this sudden fad?!
Cheap Production + Stupid Fans = Money

KaptainSarcasm
18th February 2004, 02:37 PM
Let's dispell certain rumors right now:

1.) The Live Action Sailor Moon is good, IF you watch it with an open mind, and just for good entertainment.

2.) NOTHING is known about the Live-action EVA at this point. Well, barely anything. Nothing PLOT-RELATED is known about the Eva movie. Here are some official production images from the Evangelion movie. (http://anime.futurizmo.com/news/EpZuVFZAyAOoNcwOCm.php) Those are all we know for sure. I can't believe Rei became Ray and Asuka became Kate Rose. -_-

3.) I think I heard somewhere that Initial D was origionally a Live-Action.

If you REALLY want shameful, they're planning a t.A.t.U. anime. -_-;;;

Yoh Asakura
18th February 2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by HealdPK
Even funnier is the Live Action DragonballZ movie they are bringing out apparently. Here is what I can remember:

Tien is being played by Orlando Bloom.
Nappa is being played by former-WCW champion and now WWE wrestler Goldberg.

[/stifle laughter]

Click Me (http://www.saiyan-prince.com/DB_Live_Action_Movie.htm)

As for the cast members... all I can say is Oh Dear.

*I will get this picture here instead of the bloody link*

http://www.saiyan-prince.com/DBZ%20Movie%20Poster.jpg

Razola
18th February 2004, 04:52 PM
That poster is like a montage of all my childhood fears.

Yoh Asakura
18th February 2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Raz
That poster is like a montage of all my childhood fears.

Hehe

I'm more worried about what Cell, Frieza & Buu/Kid Buu will look like in CGI.

Goku: Hugh Jackman
Vegeta: Ray Park
Piccolo: Sam Wheeler
Raditz: Jason Bateman

They could of picked people who suit the role better..

Razola
18th February 2004, 06:28 PM
Hugh Jackman had better do a very, very good job in X3 after this.

RedStarWarrior
18th February 2004, 06:51 PM
I am actually excited about the idea of live action versions of animés. Of course, quality is always an issue, as with most movies. Neo Genesis Evangelion, Witch Hunter Robin, and Dragonball Z are the ones I am most interested in seeing live versions of. I sincerely hope that they do a good job with it.

EVme15
18th February 2004, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by KaptainSarcasm
2.) NOTHING is known about the Live-action EVA at this point. Well, barely anything. Nothing PLOT-RELATED is known about the Eva movie. Here are some official production images from the Evangelion movie. (http://anime.futurizmo.com/news/EpZuVFZAyAOoNcwOCm.php) Those are all we know for sure. I can't believe Rei became Ray and Asuka became Kate Rose. -_-

First: that link doesn't work for me.

Second: I bought Genesis 0:7 Director's Cut, and it came with an interview with two of the leaders of the production staff. Remind me and I'll post that, the day I get home and get around to putting 20 minutes of dialoug on my digital camera, then typing it all up.

Third: I got the information about the Third Impacts off a site that got their information off a Japanese site that they translated. I'm not sure just how credible they are, but they had all the Director's Cuts, the original idea for the End of Evangelion opening sequence, and it makes sense to me. *shrugs*

The Muffin Man
18th February 2004, 10:29 PM
Hugh Jackman, Ray Park, Akirya Toriyama writing, 3 original VAs, a Nappa that LOOKS like Nappa...I'm sorry to say...

but this looks like it's not gonna suck nearly as hard as we thought!

Heald
19th February 2004, 11:37 AM
TMM's Potentially Good Movie List

Garfield
DragonballZ

Uh-oh...

Either way, if the DBZ movie does come out (why does the poster say DZB?) I will probably watch it. I won't be the first in line at the cinemas but I will definately try and see it. It would be quite good since DragonballZ never really took off in the UK and might get people to get into it...or they might go 'Oh no, it suxxors, let's pretend we're animé geeks and watch Spirited Away like a good bunch of n00bs that we are'.

Dark Scizor
19th February 2004, 02:41 PM
I don't really like the idea of having anything live action, but there isn't much we can do. If there is money to be made, it will happen, i dont really care about the other live actions things apart from the NGE (Mabe Witch Hunter Robin if i had seen it, but i haven't) :P )

But in the case of NGe as mentioned in a post before mine they have renamed Rei and Asuka to Ray and Kate Rose, and Misato to Sue Whitnell or something stupid. This is going to follow with Shinji being some blonde haired kid who was sent over from America by his American father.

This will also be followed by mass merchandising of such a thing, leading onto kids with Evangelion lunch boxes ¬_____¬

Well thats what i think will happen anyway. plus it'll give birth to more fan boys who are all action action action, not really thinking about the Human Instrumentallity Project let alone any emotional trauma suffered by the characters etc. They just want the killing.

Its going to have to be very good to make me not stick by this opinion. (Is now waiting for a witty member to get what i say and throw it down the drain):yes:

The Muffin Man
19th February 2004, 07:24 PM
TMM's Potentially Good Movie List

Garfield
DragonballZ

Uh-oh...

You enjoy flamebaiting, don't you?

3 original voices(CG Puar, Oolong, and King Kai), Hugh Jackman, A guy who looks like Nappa PLAYING Nappa, Ray Park, decent poster(it's D B with Z in the middle of it).

Besides. I love Garfield, and I never said this movie would be good. I said not suck that bad. Now quit trying to set me off. I'm not falling for it.

Razola
19th February 2004, 07:36 PM
The link given by Yami suggests that the poster is just a mock-up, and that the casting may not be completely solid.

I still don't think it'll fly (we don't do animated movies for shows like the X-Files, do we?) but we'll see.

internal dragon
20th February 2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by YAMI YUGI™
Click Me (http://www.saiyan-prince.com/DB_Live_Action_Movie.htm)

As for the cast members... all I can say is Oh Dear.

*I will get this picture here instead of the bloody link*

http://www.saiyan-prince.com/DBZ%20Movie%20Poster.jpg Oh dear lord....Please kill me now.....PLEASE kill me.....

Yoh Asakura
21st February 2004, 03:13 AM
I'm surprised that some of you are shocked. All the news including the poster is nearlly a year old.

Last Exile
21st February 2004, 03:42 AM
That poster makes DBZ look gothic!

*laughs like crazy*

Oh god, this is going to be a nightmare! Please, Hugh, don't ruin your career!

RedStarWarrior
22nd February 2004, 02:56 AM
All we have now is speculation. For all any of you know, the DBZ movie may kick ***. I think it well and I know I am not alone in that belief.

I remember when I talked about my desire to have Jackie Chan to play Goku and Jet Li to play Vegeta. That would have been rather interesting, although Jackie doesn't speak clearly enough.

Yoh Asakura
22nd February 2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Raven Adonis
All we have now is speculation. For all any of you know, the DBZ movie may kick ***. I think it well and I know I am not alone in that belief.

I remember when I talked about my desire to have Jackie Chan to play Goku and Jet Li to play Vegeta. That would have been rather interesting, although Jackie doesn't speak clearly enough.

That would of been WAY better since it would of added humour to the movie.

*Imagines Jackie Chan with blond spiked hair* hehe

The Muffin Man
24th February 2004, 07:35 AM
That poster makes DBZ look gothic!

*laughs like crazy*

Oh god, this is going to be a nightmare! Please, Hugh, don't ruin your career!

The bandwagons gettin' kinda full. Why not form your own opinion based on the actors looking like a decent cast?

Of course, that would require an opinon.

Legends-Kuja
24th February 2004, 03:20 PM
It can't TOTALLY suck, can it? I heard Akira Toriyama (or whomever made the story) is overlooking it to make sure it's good.

But just for the sake of saving what little face I have, I'm not going to see it immediately.

Razola
24th February 2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by The Muffin Man
The bandwagons gettin' kinda full. Why not form your own opinion based on the actors looking like a decent cast?

Of course, that would require an opinon.
I like how everyone who disagrees with you is on a bandwagon of some sort.

Maybe it's the fact that I simply cannot imagine a live-action DBZ looking good. It was meant for animation. Instead of paying for Hugh Jackman to look like Goku, fund a kick-*** animation studio with some nice digital tech.

I'd have to see a trailer first, but I think it would take a man of Peter Jackson talent to pull it off.

Heald
24th February 2004, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by Raz
I like how everyone who disagrees with you is on a bandwagon of some sort.I like how everytime I reply to any of his posts, he calls it 'flamebaiting'.

Maybe it's the fact that I simply cannot imagine a live-action DBZ looking good. It was meant for animation. Instead of paying for Hugh Jackman to look like Goku, fund a kick-*** animation studio with some nice digital tech.Personally, when I picture a 3D DragonballZ, I picture those really grainy 3D shows like Beast Wars, or that Simpsons Hallowe'en episode where Homer goes 3D (Homer^3 or something like that) *shudders*. On the other hand, a live action film would look like the live-action Mortal Kombat or worse, the Street Fighter *shudders more*.

I'd have to see a trailer first, but I think it would take a man of Peter Jackson talent to pull it off.Good directors don't guarantee good movies. Look at Star Wars Episodes I & II and the two Matrix: Regurgitated films.

Razola
24th February 2004, 07:30 PM
Good directors don't guarantee good movies. Look at Star Wars Episodes I & II and the two Matrix: Regurgitated films.
Lucas is not a good director to begin with (and he also "wrote" it), so you'll need a better example than that.

Heald
24th February 2004, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Lucas is not a good director to begin with (and he also "wrote" it), so you'll need a better example than that. I hope you're kidding. The original Star Wars trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy are more than enough evidence to prove what a great director he is (or was).

The Muffin Man
25th February 2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Raz
I like how everyone who disagrees with you is on a bandwagon of some sort.

Maybe it's the fact that I simply cannot imagine a live-action DBZ looking good. It was meant for animation. Instead of paying for Hugh Jackman to look like Goku, fund a kick-*** animation studio with some nice digital tech.

I'd have to see a trailer first, but I think it would take a man of Peter Jackson talent to pull it off.

And thus you have an opinion. Everyone just hops on, yelling "OMG DBZ LOL IT R TEH SUK LOLZ"

And it annoys me.

And Heald, if you'd leave me alone and stop posting for the sake of trying to get me to explode, then I wouldn't have to point out the obvious flamebait.

Heald
25th February 2004, 05:32 PM
Mike, I have better things to do than make you explode. And you aren't really one to complain about flamebaiting.

"The bandwagons gettin' kinda full. Why not form your own opinion based on the actors looking like a decent cast?

Of course, that would require an opinon."

"Oh go cut yourself and listen to Evanescence, alright?"

"Yami, shut up."

And those are just from your more recent posts. But please continue on your plight to label me as a flamebaiter, for I relish the irony.

The Muffin Man
25th February 2004, 06:09 PM
Personally, I don't really see this movie as a definate failure. Nor do I expect it to be some amazing movie. All I'm saying is that with the actors they have, it really has a chance of being good.

And Heald. The attachments for you.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Razola
25th February 2004, 06:26 PM
I hope you're kidding. The original Star Wars trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy are more than enough evidence to prove what a great director he is (or was).
He had two excellent writers for episode 4 and 5, but six was okay (just luck in my opinion) and some don't even like six that much.

Red Angel
25th February 2004, 11:00 PM
As long as the Evangelion movie is good, I'll forgive them for even thinking about DBZ. It should be good... LotR was good... and this is by the same people. Of course, they murdered everyone's names for marketing purposes <cries>

Heald
26th February 2004, 07:00 AM
Raz, true as those points may be, it cannot be denied that Lucas is a good director, or was, depending on your point-of-view of his latest films.

Mike, good actors don't guarantee a good film. Thankfully, I can use Attack of the Clones as an example yet again. Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan MacGregor, Christopher Lee, all great actors and yet the movie failed to deliver.

As for your little PM stab, can you please stop posting that picture please? The TPM Forums aren't for uploading your little pictures just so you can make a point. And, as ironic as it is, perhaps you should learn to use the PM button yourself. Most of your posts have been to reply to my posts with malice, except you just repeat the same point over and over again to attempt to hide the fact that it could be done through PM as well.

Azura Stardust
26th February 2004, 07:42 AM
Say, I read on a Japanese site (I dunno if it's been mentioned in this thread) that the Initial D live action may be directed by Tsui Hark. If you don't know who Tsui Hark is, go google him.

Last Exile
26th February 2004, 08:19 AM
Yeah, I heard that about Initial D. I also heard they reckon James Cameron will do the English version. Um, does he hoenstly think he can follow in the steps of Miyazaki-san? I think he'll never get over the fact that Miyazaki achieved more with Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away than Cameron did with his whole career.

The Muffin Man
26th February 2004, 08:24 AM
Yeah, I heard that about Initial D. I also heard they reckon James Cameron will do the English version. Um, does he hoenstly think he can follow in the steps of Miyazaki-san? I think he'll never get over the fact that Miyazaki achieved more with Ghost in the Shell and Spirited Away than Cameron did with his whole career.

I think the real concern is can James Cameron not do a better job than Miyazaki-san.

Azura Stardust
27th February 2004, 06:46 AM
Wait, what does James Cameron have to do with Miyazaki... they're both directors... okay whatever...

But why did you put Ghost in the SHell and Miyazaki together? Studio Ghibli's simply co-producing Innocence: Ghost In THe shell with Production I.G...

The Muffin Man
27th February 2004, 06:52 PM
Raz, true as those points may be, it cannot be denied that Lucas is a good director, or was, depending on your point-of-view of his latest films.

Mike, good actors don't guarantee a good film. Thankfully, I can use Attack of the Clones as an example yet again. Samuel L. Jackson, Ewan MacGregor, Christopher Lee, all great actors and yet the movie failed to deliver.

As for your little PM stab, can you please stop posting that picture please? The TPM Forums aren't for uploading your little pictures just so you can make a point. And, as ironic as it is, perhaps you should learn to use the PM button yourself. Most of your posts have been to reply to my posts with malice, except you just repeat the same point over and over again to attempt to hide the fact that it could be done through PM as well.
First of all, this has Akira Toriyama doing in charge of the writing, so the writing will at least be decent.
Second, Attack of the Clones had crappy writing, and a really crappy idea, mixed with a series that never needed a prequel...

Second*points to earlier post.*