PDA

View Full Version : Game Boy Becomes "Explosive".

Saturos
21st February 2004, 12:16 PM
A junior high student is arrested after he builds a bomb out of a handheld.

February 20, 2004 - According to a Houston Chronicle article, a junior high student is in police custody after it was reported that he had a homemade bomb made from a Game Boy system at his school yesterday.

According to police, the unnamed student hollowed out a Game Boy unit and filled it with gunpowder. A fellow student informed Crime Stoppers about the bomb when the creator bragged about his invention. The school was evacuated that afternoon while officials searched for the student and the bomb. He was eventually arrested on a school bus headed to a track meet. The bomb was then rendered harmless.

Police said the individual could be charged with a second degree felony: carrying a prohibited weapon into a school zone.

Moonlight Espeon
21st February 2004, 12:18 PM
o_O;;
That's kinda freaky. I don't get it o.o; If he did make a bomb out of that it wouldn't be too great of a bomb- maybe a small explosion at the most, maybe less.
That's the point? He just wasted $40 and put himself in prison for a bomb that there was no point in making and wouldn't even be effective if he had plans for it. =P
He was probably just one of those crazy kids that likes to experiment on things, see if certain things work, and he probably thought he'd made the invention of the year. I speculate he's an inventor wannabe, =\

HavoX
21st February 2004, 12:26 PM
uh, Saturos... wrong way.

*EDIT* never mind.

Saturos
21st February 2004, 12:30 PM
I just saw that news from IGN. I didn't know it was posted anywhere else, so it isn't my fault that I didn't know.

Moonlight Espeon
21st February 2004, 12:33 PM
This topic does seem to have a bit more content, though, if you know what I mean.. =P
Anyway, you can't blame the guy for not seeing it somewhere else.

Yoh Asakura
21st February 2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Aquatic Fury
This topic does seem to have a bit more content, though, if you know what I mean.. =P
Anyway, you can't blame the guy for not seeing it somewhere else.

What? you mean that he has copied and pasted the story rather then just linking it.Wow massive difference.

Doesn't really interest me. Just some fool with too much time on his hands to think of something that stupid.

RedStarWarrior
21st February 2004, 02:27 PM
A gunpowder filled Game Boy shell is not something to brag about. I would have used plastic explosives and transplanted the components from a Game Boy pocket into one of the older grey Game Boys as to allow for the explosives to fit in there. I would have rewired the Select button so it would detonate the plastic explosives. Of course, you could still play games on it as long as you didn't hit that button. That would indeed be a better handheld bomb. Although, using the Game Boy as a remote detonator would have indeed been a better use for it (as Raz suggested in the other topic).

Silver Ledian
21st February 2004, 03:03 PM
I really don't understand why a young person would spend their time making an explosive out of a GameBoy. How effin random is that? Unless he was being bullied so much that he wanted to get that person back by blowing them up...no, just too farfetched.

Razola
21st February 2004, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Saturos
I just saw that news from IGN. I didn't know it was posted anywhere else, so it isn't my fault that I didn't know.
Yes it is. That search button isn't for show.

Already posted in the other thread, so I have nothing else to say.

DarkTemplarZ
21st February 2004, 04:31 PM
Arrested for a gunpowder filled gameboy? rofl, that's one pitiful "bomb". You could make a more potent explosive with a few batteries and paper clips. Typical America, say that we don't want children to have little toy bombs, but then we go and blow up children's homes in foreign countries.

Kojiro
21st February 2004, 04:32 PM
"This reminds me of that time I hooked my Lawnmower to my Nintendo! But a bomb out of a gameboy? That's like making Homsar into a super-computer!"

Now people will freak out if they see a kid with a GB. I bet overcaring moms will not let there kids have GB's anymore!

The Rusted One
21st February 2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Yes it is. That search button isn't for show.

Already posted in the other thread, so I have nothing else to say.

In other words, your post adds nothing to the thread, which is categorised, strangely enough, as spam.

Because this thread is the one with the most replies, I'll contact one of the Video Games mods and get the to close the other one, I think.

Why do people think it's cool to create things that could be labelled as explosive? Or go shooting in highschools? It seems to be something that happens too often in US schools, but I rarely hear of incidences in other countries - so the question is, what is it about the US way of life that has so many young people desiring to cause large amounts of pain and death to other people?

Razola
21st February 2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by The Rusted One
In other words, your post adds nothing to the thread, which is categorised, strangely enough, as spam.
This teaches a bad lesson: don't use the search button. If enough people post in your thread, they'll lock the one that was posted first instead of yours.

I have nothing to add, because there was another thread which was posted BEFORE this one. And yet it gets locked.

Why don't we just take the search button away if actions like this are going to take place?

EDIT: It is now moved. I am more pleased, but I still advocate the use of the search button. Or in this case, just searching the forums. The original thread wasn't hidden or anything.

EmpressMyuu
22nd February 2004, 11:39 AM
A Gameboy bomb...yeah, I have a better invention than that. It's a fork that when you're eating spaghetti, you press a button, and it twirls the spaghetti on your fork for you. Oughta work better than that puny GB bomb :P

But that really makes me wonder how this will affect the minds of the already overprotective parents of the U.S. My parent's aren't that overprotective, and I have a GBA, so they won't take it away just because of some kid turning his into an explosive. But I have a bad feeling that there are parents out there who will take away beloved Gameboys from their kids just because they don't want their kids turning into terrorists.

...Is there really a society called Concerned Parents of America? :P

Powarun
22nd February 2004, 12:39 PM
LOL, I have to give some credit to that kid on his stupidity, only gunpowder? Well I heard somewhere in the middle east there is a book of how to make a bomb out of a cigarette lighter. Wonder what kind of gameboy though, the orginal brick, or the foldable SP, the curved Color, the small Pocket, or the controller based Advanced?

Strider
22nd February 2004, 10:11 PM
The kid is pretty idiotic for having bragged about it. I suppose he didn't think that far ahead.
But anyways, this Gameboy bomb could have been dangerous if it had a good amount of gunpowder, as shrapnel could injure many if set off in a crowded area, obviously. Good thing the kid was caught before that, though.

RedStarWarrior
24th February 2004, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Strider
The kid is pretty idiotic for having bragged about it. I suppose he didn't think that far ahead.
But anyways, this Gameboy bomb could have been dangerous if it had a good amount of gunpowder, as shrapnel could injure many if set off in a crowded area, obviously. Good thing the kid was caught before that, though.
How was he going to set it off? I am sure that people would notice someone taking a match to their GB. That kid was retarded.

TeleFox
25th February 2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Powarun
Well I heard somewhere in the middle east there is a book of how to make a bomb out of a cigarette lighter.

It'd be a pretty short book, even with pictures:

1) Remove clip that closes the valve. This takes a few seconds with a screwdriver or a paperclip.

2) Start the lighter as per normal. If you have trouble here, you may not be qualified as a terrorist. Pity.

3) Stand the lighter upside down, nearly vertical. Take a couple of steps back.

Oh yeah, and kids, don't try this at home.
The butane tends to boil after a second or two, and when the cap bursts, the lighter usually flies off somewhere with a bang.