PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] A possible major shake up in battling?

Leon-IH
29th February 2004, 12:02 AM
"I Mystery Gift with someone and fight they're Smeargle, and get sketch with Mimic, then kill it by another means, then fight something and use the newly appointed sketch. and voila, you've got a new move it's not supposed to know ^_^"

Added by me - Note, another possible way to do this would be through Linked Battles. xD

Now, this was posted by a serebii user and im wondering if it's correct, now doesnt mimic track what it gets turned into? therefore sketch would work but only for 1 battle, very confusing having two contradicting moves, any ideas on if it works, note that this COULD cause a massive shake up in battling, however getting actual proof could be extremely hard seeing as ROMS could not replicate this as they could with the Mew cheat.

Seriously this could well and truly screw up competitive battling, so anyone with a digital camera who can produce evidence either way... Help pls :)

Bob54321
29th February 2004, 04:14 AM
It does work... I think sketch overwrites the mimic data. There is a similar glitch using transform but I suppose mmic is more common. Anyway - if "every" pokemon can learn "every" move the game would be boring so noone uses it.

Number1ChanseyFan
29th February 2004, 10:07 AM
The trick that you mentioned sounds a little bit like the "Mewtation Glitch," which was discovered around a year and a half ago. The Mewtation Glitch worked like this:

A Smeargle and Mew fight each other. The Mew knows Transform, and The Smeargle knows Sketch. Mew uses Transform and turns into a Smeargle, and copies Smeargle's moveset. Now, say the opponent's Smeargle knows Earthquake. Smeargle uses Earthquake against Mew. (who is transformed into Smeargle) Now, Mew uses Sketch, and Sketches Earthquake. After the battle is over, Mew would still know Earthquake. That is how the Mewtation Glitch works. The same trick can be used by using a Ditto instead of Mew.

The trick that you mentioned is supposed to work too. However, you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff being used for competitive battling or anything. Like I said, the Mewtation trick has been known for about a year and a half now. People may use this stuff in game, but it won't be used in competitive battling. These movesets are still considered to be illegal.

SupremeChampion
3rd March 2004, 12:08 AM
most people would know an illegal moveset when they saw one, so no one would battle you if you used one. and if they did, they'd be pretty mad. sorry, but no battle shaking up.

~The Italian Stallion

Green_Pikachu
3rd March 2004, 02:57 PM
yeah, any tournies since then have banned it from my knowledge, and im sure its frowned upon in regular battles as well. not too much of a shakeup. im a gsc purist myself, i would kill anyone that tried touse that crap on me. i mean kill in a metaphorical sense, btw.

SageofDarkness
9th March 2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Number1ChanseyFan
The trick that you mentioned sounds a little bit like the "Mewtation Glitch," which was discovered around a year and a half ago. The Mewtation Glitch worked like this:

A Smeargle and Mew fight each other. The Mew knows Transform, and The Smeargle knows Sketch. Mew uses Transform and turns into a Smeargle, and copies Smeargle's moveset. Now, say the opponent's Smeargle knows Earthquake. Smeargle uses Earthquake against Mew. (who is transformed into Smeargle) Now, Mew uses Sketch, and Sketches Earthquake. After the battle is over, Mew would still know Earthquake. That is how the Mewtation Glitch works. The same trick can be used by using a Ditto instead of Mew.

The trick that you mentioned is supposed to work too. However, you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff being used for competitive battling or anything. Like I said, the Mewtation trick has been known for about a year and a half now. People may use this stuff in game, but it won't be used in competitive battling. These movesets are still considered to be illegal.

What about for breeding, if Ditto can esentially get any move, wouldn't thatfree up breeding problems? Or are they considered illigal as well?

SupremeChampion
10th March 2004, 09:24 PM
they wouldn't be illegal, but i don't think the moves would be passed on. i think there's something about move compatibility in there, but i'm not 100% sure. someone care to help?

~The Italian Stallion

Bob54321
11th March 2004, 07:07 AM
From memory I tried this - as long as you breed ditto with a female they will be passed on (ditto is pseudo male...) But everyone knows you cant have a light screen + haze dragonite.... Illegal combinations will always be illegal