PDA

View Full Version : Best non-traded non-legendary Psychic

GirlRepellant
1st March 2004, 11:24 PM
I need to know what the best in-game Psychic in Fire Red is, excluding Alakazam ('cause I have nobody to trade with, unless there's someone in the game that'll trade over a Kadabra) and excluding Mewtwo and Lugia (no legendaries). It could just be someone used as a Psychic type (i.e. Butterfree using Confusion).

Thanks!

--GR

Razola
2nd March 2004, 12:04 AM
Starmie is flexible enough to get through the AI trainers.

GirlRepellant
2nd March 2004, 12:15 AM
Hmmm.......... I already have a water-type planned out (Cloyster), so any others? No Exeggutor either, since I have Venusaur.

Dark Sage
2nd March 2004, 08:10 AM
Aside from Alakazam?

Slowking isn't too bad, although you can't evolve Slowpoke into it until after you beat the Elite Four.

- Venusaur

The Muffin Man
2nd March 2004, 09:58 AM
Hypno. You can get it early, it's strong. No reason to get anything else.

AndyPants
2nd March 2004, 09:25 PM
i use a special attacking Venomoth with Giga Drain, Psychic, Sleep Powder, and Double Team

it works great

Gligar_Man
3rd March 2004, 11:53 AM
id reccomend giving up venusaur for eggo... eggos very good, and in frlg it can explode again... id keep cloyster for spome spikespin, and he can explode again as well... but if you however decide on giving him up... starmie is a good choice, very versatile, nice for in-game, recover, good movepool... speedy... oh well... cloyster is a personal fav of mine so maybe you should use eggo, :D

however... if you are stuck on using both of them... i would say that gardevoir is a nice choice... nobody mentionned gardy... and imo he is overwhelmingly better then the alternative for your desired non water/grass psychic slot... but metagross would also do well (it can also explode... but im guessing your more looking for a special attacking generic psychic duder... while he is a phys, only thing psychic about him is his type...) however, you may be looking for that, i dunno, metagross is pretty strong... (he is legendary, but you said metwo/lugia as definitions, wich are considerred uber... so i dunno really what your aiming for...) oh well... i guess gardevoir/metagross or give up venusaur for eggo, would be my suggestion...

Green_Pikachu
3rd March 2004, 02:42 PM
automatically eliminating eggy because u have venusaur is stupid. i led with charmander anyway, its the best pokemon out of the 3, hands down. i see no debate about it. but, if u don't want eggy, then hypno is definitely the answer, at TMM said. hypno is sweet. the end.

Dark Sage
3rd March 2004, 03:59 PM
Charmander is indeed a temptation. The problem is, if you chose Charmander, you'll likely have a rough time at the first Gym (Brock's). There aren't any opportunities to catch any Grass or Water pokemon on the way there.

Thus it is a dillema. You either chose a starter that will make it easy for you early on, or a pokemon that will make it hard early and easy later in the game.

- Venusaur

ShockingAlberto
3rd March 2004, 04:24 PM
So you can't catch Mankey or Butterfree (with confusion) along the Pewter City route anymore? They made it so easy to take Brock down in Yellow.

-- ShockingAlberto

GirlRepellant
3rd March 2004, 06:23 PM
It's not too difficult to beat the first gym with Charmeleon, now that he gets Metal Claw at L. 13. That's not the problem.

OK, I'm gonna restart the game and use Charmander, since Eggy seems to be the only decent Psychic that I don't have to trade to get, with the exception of Starmie... and I REALLY wanna train a Cloyster, so that's outta the question.

So what's a good Exeggutor moveset? Psychic, Giga Drain, Leech Seed, ??? I dunno, I haven't trained one before.

Then with Charizard, Cloyster, Electabuzz... who else would round out my team nicely? Maybe a Shadowballin' Snorlax for a surprise Psychic/Ghost fighter. Then I need an Earthquaker... I'm thinking Rhydon or T-tar... can you get Larvitar before beating the Elite?

Thanks, all!

Dark Sage
3rd March 2004, 06:36 PM
That Metal Claw thing... I checked the new pokedex on Serebii's website, and I don't think Charmander actually does learn that move...

I'll check again, but I don't think so...

- Venusaur

GirlRepellant
3rd March 2004, 06:44 PM
I know for a fact that he does. Mine just learned it.

Dark Sage
3rd March 2004, 06:48 PM
Sorry, I was only partially right.

He learns it so long as he's in Fr/Lg. He won't learn it if he attains lv. 13 in Ru/Sa.

A lot of pokemon are like that: they only learn certain moves in one set of games, and learn some moves earlier in one set of games.

- Venusaur