PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Community service

Deus Mortuorum
2nd March 2004, 09:03 PM
Because my school requires I complete a certain number of hours of volunteer community service to graduate, I thought it would be a great opportunity to explore my interest in EMS as well as get service credit so I joined a volunteer ambulance corps. Well, the youth squad since I'm under 18 but as soon as I turn 16 (Thursday) and complete my probation (2-3 months) I'm eligible to take a class to be a state-certified first responder. I then get to ride on the ambulance to the calls and such...should be awesome :wave:

So my poll is:

1. Does your school make you do community service?
2a. If not, do you do it out of your own interest?
2b. If so, what do you do?
3. Do you enjoy it?
4. Is there anything you would rather do, but can't? (age requirement, too far, is not volunteer work, etc.)7

Craig
2nd March 2004, 09:31 PM
3. Do you enjoy it?
4. Is there anything you would rather do, but can't? (age requirement, too far, is not volunteer work, etc.)

1. Yea, through-out the 4 years of highschool you have to do 40 combined hours
2. --
3. Not really, it just seems like a chore, and its not really even community service anymore since everyone HAS to do it, a lot of places won't take kids anymore because of bad track records for those who are just there for the hours & won't really do anything.
4. Hmm, well... I wanted to volunteer with the local news crew so I could help out & have it on my resume (aswell as uni application for film school "Hey look I edited stuff that was on TV!" ) but I can't because they do a lot of the filming during school hours.. I gotta see about it in the summer though :)

en0miz
2nd March 2004, 10:04 PM
I hear that the only type of service they make us do is when we have to help a teacher or some other school employee during our lunch period for a year, but I doubt this is true. If it were, half the school wouldn't be able to graduate. o_o

Yep. :>
Two summers ago, I volunteered at a Cat and Dog Hospital. Last summer, I volunteered at the Queens Zoo (local zoo).

3. Do you enjoy it?
Yeah. I liked the Hospital 'job' more though, because I got a hands on experience on what I want to be (a vet) and I got to pet cats that people left to the kennel while on vacation. ^^ There were some gory parts, such as when I had to witness a dog autopsy, or when someone brought in a dying 1 day old kitten... but I have to get used to these kind of situations if I want to be a vet.

4. Is there anything you would rather do, but can't? (age requirement, too far, is not volunteer work, etc.)?
I wanted to work at Petland Discounts when I was 14 (two summers ago) but they're looking for 16 year olds and up. I can apply now, but I really don't have the time for a job at the moment, so.. *shrug*.

titandude21
3rd March 2004, 12:06 AM
So my poll is:

3. Do you enjoy it?
4. Is there anything you would rather do, but can't? (age requirement, too far, is not volunteer work, etc.)

1. it is not mandated, but the unwritten rule is yes, b/c you're screwed on your college application w/o community service

2a. i haven't done anything yet. i plan on doing some this summer... i don't know where, probably at a hospital or something.

3. haven't tried it yet. i might find some enjoyment, but the main motive for doing it is community service hours to put on my college application

4. I wanted to audition in the ESPN's Dream Job contest, but I'm only 15. It would rock to work at ESPN, and it would make my life a lot more enjoyable. It's a job i would love to do, and I would get paid for it. i would play sports, but i have no athletic ability, so i have to focus on other things.

Jay
3rd March 2004, 05:35 AM
3. Do you enjoy it?
4. Is there anything you would rather do, but can't? (age requirement, too far, is not volunteer work, etc.)7

1 » My school is a university with thousands of people, it would be too tough to administer every single person and see how much they've done, not to mention it's just plain hard and stressful on the uni. So no.

2 » Nope. I'm lazy =P

3 » I don't think I would enjoy it. You get diseases and stuff and even worse if you aren't careful.

4 » I'd like to go to go to the pub freely. They keep booting me out now. :(

Silver Ledian
3rd March 2004, 02:24 PM
3. Do you enjoy it?

1. The school sets a week each year, for the Year 13 group (16/17 year-olds), in which each pupil finds his own workplace and works there for that duration of 5 school days. You don't get paid for it, it's simply a work experience in case no one has a part-time job and also a taster as to what work is like. It's also a chance for people, who have an idea of what they want to be in future, to sign up with that career and spend time in that type of workplace for a week. I don't know if that is the same as community service.

2. I've had a part-time job but I left because I was unhappy with the wages and attitude of the boss...

3. I loved it when the school sent me out on my work experience. I went back to my primary school for 3 days - because I want to be a teacher in the future - and it was just brilliant. I never felt so proud of myself in a long time, helping and having a laugh with the kids.

4. Well the experience was great but I'm only 17 so there's not really a chance of a part-time job in a school quite yet. I plan on getting a part-time job in the summer though.

I've never had to do community service, in terms of punishment for a crime, though ^^;;

woz
3rd March 2004, 06:42 PM
1. hahahaha, no.
2. hahahaha, no.
3. n/a.
4. no.

kainashi
3rd March 2004, 06:46 PM
1. no.
2a. -
2b. -
3. no.
4. nope.

The_Missing_Link
3rd March 2004, 08:28 PM
John, woz, if you continue making one worded replies in future polls, I'm just going to delete them. It's just blatant spam and even if it's a 'no' answer, you can elaborate a bit

1) Yup, 10 hours a year for 4 years (and if you're smart, you'd know what that comes out to ;))

2b) In my first year, my sister and I volunteered at a JCC (Jewish Community Center) but I hated it. The next year though, we helped out at a cat rescue shelter in Petsmart (it gets its own adoption center in the store) and it's good work so we're doing it again this year. I plan on doing it next year also

3) Sure do. I love cats and we get to play with them so it's a good way to get community service hours

4) Nope, I'm pretty satisfied with what I do

RedStarWarrior
3rd March 2004, 11:11 PM
No.

Yes.

N/A

3. Do you enjoy it?
Yes or I wouldn't be doing it.

4. Is there anything you would rather do, but can't?
Nope.

Nevermore
4th March 2004, 03:24 AM
My first school didn't, but that may have been because most of the student body were already being forced to do community service by the local magistrate. ^^; My second school didn't force you either, although it had a voluntary society you could join up with to do things like that. Called, believe it or not, the Community Service Group.

Yup, I joined the CSG, although I have to say it was driven only slightly by a desire to help other people, and mostly by my desire to have something that'd look good on my university application.

I can't remember everything.... the biggest thing I remember was this sort of party we organised for all the old people in town, with old-timey dancing and stuff. That was fun, except this old woman kept whining because I was stepping on her arthritic feet.

3. Do you enjoy it?
I did, actually, yeah. Pensioners are hilarious.

4. Is there anything you would rather do, but can't?
In my final year at uni I might see about getting involved in Campus Law, where the law students basically give free legal advice to any other students who need it, probably about landlords and stuff like that. Although I haven't seen it advertised anywhere since I've been here. Maybe the prospectus lied....

kurai
4th April 2004, 12:49 PM
1. The school board forces you to do 40 hours of community service.
2. Volunteering is for chumps.
3. n/a
4. No, not at all.
5. I would rather have done anything than the force volunteerism (such as actually working for real currency).

suzie
4th April 2004, 01:06 PM
no, but if youre in the National Honor Society you have to, which i think is stupid because at my school im pretty sure all the NHS kids would do it on their own anyway, but i know personally for me, when im forced to do something it makes it less fun and i try to be as counterproductive as possible

yes

3. Do you enjoy it?
yes

i liked teaching ccd because it was fun to save those kids from learning about stuff but they changed it so you have to be 18+ now :(

shazza
4th April 2004, 01:12 PM
-No.
2. If not, do you do it out of your own interest?
-No, why would anyone do that.
3. Do you enjoy it?
-N/A
..No?

abunaidesu
11th June 2004, 12:06 PM
1 - nope.
2a - hell no.
2b - nothing
3 - i wouldn't if i had to
4 - nope