PDA

View Full Version : Level Limits...

GirlRepellant
3rd March 2004, 07:55 PM
OK, you know those warnings and such you get when you beat a new gym? Like "this badge will allow you to control pokemon up to level 30... any higher and they become unruly." Is there much truth to that? 'Cause my Charmeleon is at level 22 right now, and growing, and I'm only one gym down...

Don't Run With Scizors
3rd March 2004, 08:10 PM
It is true, but it only applies to Pokémon that don't have the same trainer ID as you. It just prevents you from trading over L100 Pokémon from another cartridge and reaping the benefits easily.

The Muffin Man
3rd March 2004, 08:40 PM
If the OT name is different and the ID number is different(either one) then the Pokemon goes by those rules. I've tried 'change ID' codes, and they do not work unless your name is EXACTLY the same for the OT too.

So don't worry. Level them up all you want. Besides, Traded Pokemon have a minor margin of error. I believe it's about 5 lvls. Up to lvl 12 before you get a badge they listen, too.

Poryhedron
3rd March 2004, 09:18 PM
Now, is it only traded pokémon that can be unruly? I think they're more likely to be unruly, but if you somehow manage to attain a level-50 non-traded pokémon before you have two badges, it'd probably disobey a bit. Anyone know for certain?

GirlRepellant
3rd March 2004, 11:39 PM
That's what I thought, Pory... I remember back in the days of Red/Blue, I had a Charmeleon that wouldn't obey me at level 27 until I got my 2nd badge... Maybe it's different in the new versions.

The Muffin Man
5th March 2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by GirlRepellant
That's what I thought, Pory... I remember back in the days of Red/Blue, I had a Charmeleon that wouldn't obey me at level 27 until I got my 2nd badge... Maybe it's different in the new versions.

It must have been traded. To test this once, I sharked a Master Ball and lvl 100 Mewtwo. Caught it, and then used it to see if it obeyed. Out of all the battles(from Garys second battle outside Viridian to Brock) not once did he disobey me.

GirlRepellant
7th March 2004, 12:11 AM
In Red/Blue? Hm... maybe it was traded. Thanks for checking.

rinku
9th March 2004, 06:25 PM
Your own pokémon can become unruly, but it's linked to happiness, not just level and OT, so you will not usually see it in the game unless you decide to level up to extremes before getting an appropriate badge. The very act of levelling up boosts happiness, which acts as a bit of a buffer, but I have seen it when I was playing Silver.

If you want to see the effect, restart then level up your starter without winning any badges. It should start to get unruly before L30.

AFAIK they have always used the same game mechanic, from Red through to Advance versions.

The Muffin Man
9th March 2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by rinku
Your own pokémon can become unruly, but it's linked to happiness, not just level and OT, so you will not usually see it in the game unless you decide to level up to extremes before getting an appropriate badge. The very act of levelling up boosts happiness, which acts as a bit of a buffer, but I have seen it when I was playing Silver.

If you want to see the effect, restart then level up your starter without winning any badges. It should start to get unruly before L30.

AFAIK they have always used the same game mechanic, from Red through to Advance versions.

This is 100% made up. ONLY traded pokemon ever become unruly.

Poryhedron
9th March 2004, 10:27 PM
Your own pokémon can become unruly, but it's linked to happiness, not just level and OT [...] AFAIK they have always used the same game mechanic, from Red through to Advance versions.

This would be exceedingly difficult, given that Happiness didn't exist in Red/Blue. The concept of your pokémon reacting to how you treat them wasn't introduced until Yellow, and in that game it only applied to the starter Pikachu. In fact, Pikachu's happiness doesn't work the same way as happiness in later games; using Potions is a good way to raise Pikachu's happiness.

rinku
10th March 2004, 08:26 PM
Well, it has been a long time since I've played silver, which was the only time I encountered it.

I'm quite happy to stand corrected.

Heald
21st March 2004, 01:53 PM
When I traded my level 100 Pokémon to a new game, they all disobeyed me.

The catch is though, they choose when to attack and what attack they will use. So, it is just a question of waiting and no elite member can contend with my level 100 Mewtwo :D

Poryhedron
21st March 2004, 02:25 PM
The catch is though, they choose when to attack and what attack they will use. So, it is just a question of waiting and no elite member can contend with my level 100 Mewtwo

I could point out that, by the time you fight the Elite Four, Mewtwo will obey you fully anyway...but what I really want to know if what sort of success you have early in the game. It was my vague impression that, the more out-of-your-league a pokémon was, the more likely it was to do something like take a nap midbattle or hurt itself for no good reason...Like, maybe a pokémon that was only six levels above the highest level you can control would usually tend to use an attack, whether or not it was the one you wanted, but a Level-100 pokémon would practically never do anything constructive if you tried to use it before you got the Cascade Badge...am I just completely wrong here?

The Muffin Man
21st March 2004, 07:05 PM
I think you're right, Pory. The more out of your control a Pokemon is, the worse it does. If your badge allows up to lvl 30, and they're lvl 40, they'll choose a different attack. But with no badges, they'll probably just decide to loaf around.