PDA

View Full Version : the female lead will be dressed a little more modestly in the English version

Pewter City Geodude
4th March 2004, 10:16 AM
Compare these two pics:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ngc/qc6a/story/g22.jpg (Japanese version)

http://img23.photobucket.com/albums/v69/normanmnky/sidekick.jpg (English version)

For the English version they lengthened both the girl's skirt and her shirt.

Lezta
4th March 2004, 12:12 PM
... why?

Seriously, Kids wear stuff worse than that. (it sickens me, but they do)

I mean, wtf?

Gligar_Man
4th March 2004, 12:17 PM
in the us people have the right to whine and complain about ever meaningless thing... (and i dont blame them for not wanting to hear about it)

so whatever, we make our bed... then we complain about some other non existant problem, and while your back is turned your kids are getting knocked up

War Raichu
4th March 2004, 09:33 PM
Edits like that are truly evil. I mean, there are games that have worse things than a belly button-revealing shirt and a far-south of the knee skirt. Like in both SSBM and the 3D Sonics, the females show their panties. Yet they didn't edit that.

Seriously, I was planning to name the sidekick after a girl I know who dresses just like that. And Nintendo had to blow that dream to Hell. :mad:

HavoX
4th March 2004, 09:46 PM
*my bad, I was grumpy the other day*

Laz-E-Boy
7th March 2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by DooMed Trainer
whine whine whine

1) I think it was a good move by Nintendo

Care to explain? This move by Nintendo was completley unnecessary and all that got accomplished was Nintendo wasting their time.

HavoX
7th March 2004, 10:49 AM
Well, let's put it this way...

Pretend you're in charge of Nintendo of America, and you've decided to leave the girl's dress as is.

A few weeks after the game is released in the US, NoA will get many complaints from parents across America about the girl's dress, saying it is in "poor taste" and is "not suited for a family game."

Originally posted by Raichu26
Like in both SSBM and the 3D Sonics, the females show their panties. Yet they didn't edit that.
That might be one of the reasons SSBM got a "Teen" rating. For the 3D Sonic games, I don't know for sure.

But trust me, Nintendo of America probably wasn't going to take any chances on leaving the girl's dress as is and getting many complaints, so they had to lengthened both her skirt and shirt.

Now I understand your opinions, and I'm sorry that you all don't like what Nintendo of America's doing.

My opinion however still stands.

have a stammer
7th March 2004, 01:17 PM
True it is annoying that they did it. But overall it isn't THAT drastic of a change, they could have done a lot worse. However I can understand the lengthening of the skirt but there was no real reason for her shirt to be lengthened. As long as the story, gameplay and characters personalties stay intact the altering of the clothes is a more of a slight annoyance.

War Raichu
7th March 2004, 04:12 PM
Well, let's put it this way...

Pretend you're in charge of Nintendo of America, and you've decided to leave the girl's dress as is.

A few weeks after the game is released in the US, NoA will get many complaints from parents across America about the girl's dress, saying it is in "poor taste" and is "not suited for a family game."

Which is why they should've given the game a warning instead of editing it. They should've made it E for Everyone, but gave it a warning, like Suggestive Themes.

Also, SSBM got a Teen rating because of the all-out fighting, plus there were guns and swords you could shoot and slash people with, which made it a little more violent than your daddy's Mario game.

soggy_cardboard
7th March 2004, 10:54 PM
What about the "Lass" ?

^^;

In the GBA fr/lg, its even shorter. o_O

War Raichu
8th March 2004, 06:50 AM
^^Exactly. Lass is showing more *** in Fire/Leaf. :D

HavoX
8th March 2004, 07:22 AM
heh, is it safe for me to say...

BOOTAY!! http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/drool.gif http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/drool.gif http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/drool.gif http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/drool.gif

Animelee
8th March 2004, 10:03 PM
Another useless edit... ;o You see way worse on TV shows that are for families. And don't families visit the beach? I mean, c'mon, women wear two-piece bikinis, and no one has a problem with those. :rolleyes:

HavoX
8th March 2004, 10:28 PM
Wait a minute. I just had a thought last night...

Maybe the girl's skirt and shirt was lengthened because of the incident at the Super Bowl Half-Time show involving Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake? http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/confused.gif

Crazy
9th March 2004, 06:11 AM
Wait a minute. I just had a thought last night...

Maybe the girl's skirt and shirt was lengthened because of the incident at the Super Bowl Half-Time show involving Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake? http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/confused.gif

Hmmmm,I doubt it. Just some over concerned parents saw a belly button and a skirt and freaked out. Oh well, it is such a small change I can't say it bothers me.

Gligar_Man
9th March 2004, 08:09 AM
of course it doesnt bother you, thats not why they change it, they change it because psuedo-concernd parents all across america will hurt the games publicity by complaining about 2 inches of skirt length... nintendo and other companies who have to deal with americas misguided freedoms (countrys in a hole because appealing to those who make the changes is the name of the game, if you dont know what im talking about, dont worry, its basically people who oppose things are the ones who go to vote, people who support things tend not to feel as strongly, and thus, flaw) anyways, so nintendo makes a semi-smart, yet a move most companies decide to make as its easier just to avoid conflict and its reproccusions, pre-emptively, that way they wont get have as much to complain about it... wanna blame nintendo for avoiding unneeded conflict, blame those who initiate it

TeleFox
9th March 2004, 02:05 PM
G_M's totally right on this one, think of it from NOA's perspective:

If there haven't been complaints already, there undoubtedly will be. Even if only a very small number of the public get irate and complain to Nintendo, that puts NOA in a very difficult position.
If they decide to go head-to-head with the complainees, there aren't any positive outcomes for NOA. If Nintendo loses, they have to make the changes anyway, and a lot of effort and time is wasted.
If they win on the other hand, not only will those who complained by put off Nintendo, but think of all the other people who will then view NOA as a company that doesn't care about the public.
Bad news all around.

This doesn't mean to say I like the changes (I'm a purist, ie: subbed is better than dubbed ^_^), but I can't blame Nintendo for trying to avoid the situation before there is one.
After all, if something delays the production of this game just because NOA was being stubborn wouldn't you be annoyed?

Razola
10th March 2004, 12:18 AM
The hell? What we should be fussing about is how this game is going to suck. I'm still waiting for my RPG mode.

Who honestly cares? The chick looks like a the missing link...if humans had evolved from some sort of frog. Weak, weak character design.

Animelee
10th March 2004, 04:59 AM
"Oh my God, my son saw a girl's bellybutton! You are going to hell, Genius Sonority! Well, off to the beach, family!"

Razola
10th March 2004, 12:34 PM
Animeleee, your title uses poor Spanish. Right now it says something alone the lines of "The to dance, Rumpapa! Aiieee!"

I think it should be "Bailas, Rumpapa! Aiieee!"

Poryhedron
10th March 2004, 01:21 PM
Either that or replace bailar with bailando..."The Dancing Rumpapa!"

Animelee
10th March 2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks for telling me, LOL. I used Babelfish, so you can understand why it's like that. :D

VirtualPlay
10th March 2004, 03:55 PM
See, this is part of the reason why I want to learn Japanese and move to Japan. Sure, this isn't purely enough reason to, but American censorship is just too strict. They won't even show a young animated boy's naked butt (see the DBZ episode where Oozaru Gohan gets his tail cut off).

And I agree, worse things than this have gotten by the censors. What makes it worse is that she doesn't even look like a real human...she looks like an animé human (which she's supposed to look like). If some guy gets turned on by her (as in seriously turned on) then that guy has some problems.

There really should be a rating in between E and T...E is like a G rated movie and T is like a PG-13 rated movie (M for R)...where's the PG? Some people really need to lighten up and take some lessons from the Japanese about things to really take offense to.

War Raichu
10th March 2004, 06:39 PM
If I may take this quote from the Simpsons:

"Teletubbies get away with more than this!"- Milhouse

The Gremlin
10th March 2004, 10:03 PM
After looking at the pictures, strange about the skirts, they even lower the misty lookalike's top.

I'm glad they kept the palm tree growing out the main characters head. It shows he is organic and in touch with nature.

Nice.

Powarun
10th March 2004, 10:05 PM
And Jesse's naval is showing in the Anime. How unfair.

Razola
11th March 2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by VirtualPlay
Sure, this isn't purely enough reason to, but American censorship is just too strict. They won't even show a young animated boy's naked butt (see the DBZ episode where Oozaru Gohan gets his tail cut off).
The Simpsons alone will prove this statement wrong. It was purely CN's decision not to risk a fine.

rinku
11th March 2004, 05:04 PM
The Simpsons is not a good counter-example because it is not aimed at pre-teens. Find a counter example in something rated "G" or "E" and the point is made.

Japanese and US standards differ. Get over it.

Dark Sage
12th March 2004, 08:34 PM
U.S. kids have seen worse.

They can turn of basic cable and see Pink or Britney or Beyonce barely dressed in some stage costume that barely covers them. And NoA is worried about a video game which features some girl with a midriff? All the characters in this game look like cartoons as it is (take the hero Wes for instance - would anyone outside of a cartoon or comic book wear an outfit that loud?). Certainly she doesn't show any more skin than Jesse does in the anime.

*Sigh* We claim to live in the "Land of the Free", yet some people are so afraid of what some people might say that they're too scared to show a video game character's midriff. It seems that Japan is more mature-minded than we are with video games. Figures, they practically invented them. This all comes down to one thing - Nintendo is chickening out.

- Venusaur

The Gremlin
13th March 2004, 10:22 AM
People are just as pathetic sometimes in the UK, it seems you cannot do anything without offending anyone, and because it is SOOOOO easy to sue companies nowadays it is no wonder they are scared.

Number1ChanseyFan
13th March 2004, 11:12 AM
In all reality, I think that Nintendo made a good decision to protect themselves. People like to complain about stuff, and they would complain if there was nothing to complain about. You never know what people will try to sue over. That is the reason that so many things have really dumb disclaimers on them, like coffee cups at McDonald's that say "Caution: Contents are hot." A few years ago a lady successfully sued McDonald's for millions of dollars because she spilled a cup of their coffee on herself, burnt herself, and then sued, because she said that she had no idea that the coffee was hot. The worst part is that she won her lawsuit. People sue for seemingly stupid things all of the time, and they end up winning. When a company is as large and well-known as Nintendo, any time they are brought into a lawsuit, they will be affected negatively. Even if they don't lose in court, they will likely suffer a damaged reputation among the media and the public, which would lead to a loss of money. Like I said earlier, it is unfortunate, but people like to complain about everything. You never know what people will try to sue somebody over, and you never know if they can win their lawsuit either, no matter how stupid it seems. Nintendo is simply doing the best job that it can in order to make the most people happy. The changes that Nintendo has made to Colosseum do not bother me at all. The change in no way affects the gameplay, or the quality of the game.