PDA

View Full Version : Breeding for Hidden Power

Misdreavus
7th March 2004, 12:42 PM
I'm in need of a Modest/Timid Pikachu with a very high base power of HP Ice, Water, or Grass (Which do you think is best? I can see all 3 being pretty useful...). I've heard that you can breed for Hidden Power attack type and base power... how exactly can I go about doing this? I have 18 Pikachu with various stats but how do I know what their DVs are without Rare Candy-ing them to level 50 (I don't have enough Rare Candies for that)? What DVs of what stats do I need for a high base power for Hidden Power? And Don't Run With Scizors mentioned something about breeding for nature... how exactly do I go about doing that? Out of the 22 Pichu I've hatched, I've managed to get 1 Modest and 1 Timid, but they didn't have good Hidden Power attack types. Any help will be appreciated.

Rabid_Cow
7th March 2004, 03:50 PM
since you helped me with my delima on colosseum ill shed some light on this subject.

the HP of a pokemon is set, and cannot be changed. for Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu their HP is water. The base power of this HP is directly related to your little electric rat's stats. If you're correct on the whole dowloading of pokemon it would be better in your interests to just gettin a surfing pikachu.

Hope I helped.:wave:

Don't Run With Scizors
7th March 2004, 05:42 PM
I'm in the process of writing an FAQ on the subject since so many people have been asking about it lately.

GirlRepellant
7th March 2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Rabid_Cow
for Pichu, Pikachu, and Raichu their HP is water.

Um... no? It depends on each pokemon individually. One Pichu could learn HP Ghost, and another could learn HP Steel, and another could learn HP Electric... what a waste. It's not dependant on the species. Oh, and I'd say HP Grass would be best, but take what you can get.

Poryhedron
7th March 2004, 07:42 PM
My vote's for Ice. Any self-respecting Pikachu is going to have Thunderbolt or a similar move, yes? There are four target types with resistance to Electric attacks: Dragon, Electric, Ground and Grass. All three of the Hidden Power types under discussion are strong against Ground, a Pikachu's worst enemy, but what about the other three? Water and Grass are only strong against Ground, and both are weak against Dragon- and Grass-types. Only Ice covers three of Electric's four offensive weaknesses.

Don't Run With Scizors
7th March 2004, 09:27 PM
Random fact: HP Ice from a Light Ball Pikachu will OHKO Salamences that don't have maxed HP and\or Special Defense.

I'd go HP Grass on Pikachu if you happen to have problems with Swamperts, but in my experience HP Ice has definately been the most successful.

Misdreavus
9th March 2004, 08:18 PM
*bump*... anyone know how to breed for a certain type of Hidden Power?

Poryhedron
9th March 2004, 10:34 PM
Yeah, sure. Keep breeding more and more of the pokémon until you get the type you want. Nice thing about breeding is that, as long as you leave the parents in there, they'll just keep churning out eggs.

rinku
9th March 2004, 10:54 PM
To get Ice, you will need a fair bit of luck. The DVs for Special Defense and Special Attack MUST be odd. If the DV for Speed is odd, the other three MUST be even. If the DV for Speed is even, the DV for Defense MUST be odd and no more than one of the other two DVs can be even.

You can reliably breed for power level to some degree, though. The most important stat is Special Defense, followed by Special Attack and Speed. If both parents have all these with DVs of:

2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, 18, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 30 or 31

then the chances of producing a high power is good.

The best breeding option would be with both parents having DV 31 for Defense, Special Attack and Special Defense, DV 30 for Speed.