PDA

View Full Version : How do I get people to read my fic?

Whisper in the Wind
8th March 2004, 11:58 AM
Well, I kinda guess this is where I ask, (To MODs) if its SPAM, please delete it.

Anyways, can people give me any ideas as to how to get people to read my fic

The Decapitated Mole
8th March 2004, 01:59 PM
I'm not sure whether this is SPAM or not... I'll wait for the mod's judgement there...

About getting readers...

1: Post in topics like the Update Topic (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25550), the Openings/Closings Topic (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7325), The Summaries Thread (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=25620), etc. for lots of shameless advertising, which is mostly what those topics do. [<- = easy = my way]

2: Another way is to read as many fics as possible. Give the author some good criticism, and they'll usually check out your fic, especially if they've also got a fic with not-too-many readers, or are just starting out. [<- = takes time = me not doing so often]

3: Advertise in Signature. Get a banner or something catchy. Don't just put your fic title and a link--that gets boring. Put a quote, or some idea of what it's about, so the reader knows that it's not some n00bish piece of crap. But if it is a n00bish piece of crap, just put the title.

4: A good title always helps. Like my fic--The misadventures of Hiro. That title sucks. Get something catchy or interesting sounding. I'm not good at titles, so I can't give you an example, but I'm sure you'll think of something yourself.

5: When posting in threads like this, use your fic for examples, like I just did above. Great free shameless advertising. I do it all the time.

6: Threaten people until they read your story or die. :P

7: I'm done.

Hope that helped!

o_0
jimm

Whisper in the Wind
8th March 2004, 02:04 PM
1: Post in topics like the Update Topic, the Openings/Closings Topic, The Summaries Thread, etc. for lots of shameless advertising, which is mostly what those topics do. [<- = easy = my way]

Ok, I'll do that

2: Another way is to read as many fics as possible. Give the author some good criticism, and they'll usually check out your fic, especially if they've also got a fic with not-too-many readers, or are just starting out. [<- = takes time = me not doing so often]

In between School/Homework & my fic I haven't much time to read other fics, since most are very long

3: Advertise in Signature. Get a banner or something catchy. Don't just put your fic title and a link--that gets boring. Put a quote, or some idea of what it's about, so the reader knows that it's not some n00bish piece of crap. But if it is a n00bish piece of crap, just put the title.

Well, I have an Artist who will almsot be ready to start proply soon so I'll ask him too do one, what are the max picture sizes?

4: A good title always helps. Like my fic--The misadventures of Hiro. That title sucks. Get something catchy or interesting sounding. I'm not good at titles, so I can't give you an example, but I'm sure you'll think of something yourself.

Is 'The Power Within' good?

5: When posting in threads like this, use your fic for examples, like I just did above. Great free shameless advertising. I do it all the time.

Ok, I will

6: Threaten people until they read your story or die.

I don't wanna be banned

Chris 2.1
8th March 2004, 02:25 PM
You shouldn't resort to asking how to get people to read a fanfic, Onimusha. The fact is, most people never read beginner fics, and stick to bigger, older stories they've grown to like. Naieve, aren't we?

Post in the Update Topic, that helps. Have a sig link, maybe coupled with 1/2 sentences summing the fic up. People see it. 'Oooh, the world is endangered by giant turnips? Staring Aipom! Wow!!' etc etc.

Don't worry, because you'll definitely have closet readers, IE people who are either too lazy to reply to the work you put in, or just plain irritating. As the fic gets more of a name for itself you'll get them saying 'hey i've been reading from the start'....and all is well.

No sweat, I think your fic is great!

Whisper in the Wind
8th March 2004, 02:29 PM
Thanx Brit Chris, can anyone come up with a good line for my story though. Hopefully having an Artist doign work for me will be a big enough draw.

Would I be allowed to post the art with the fic or do I put it in fan art?

Chris 2.1
8th March 2004, 02:34 PM
I don't understand...do you mean you want a banner of your fanfic? To help get some notice? If so just pop down to Fanart and find a Banner Request topic, and post there. Put the URL in your sig, which you'll get with the artwork, and the banner can be put into your sig.

You can also make a banner into a hyperlink. Ask about thatin vB help....because I don't know myself ^^;,

Whisper in the Wind
8th March 2004, 02:43 PM
No, I have an Artist who will do that for me. I'm just hoping the fact that he will probs doa good banner & the fact that art will be included with the fic, it will bring mroe interest to it

Dragonfree
8th March 2004, 03:50 PM
I know about something else you can put in your sig to draw attention to your fic: compliments. You know at the serebiiforums, there are at least two people there with lots of positive reviews in their sigs. Yeah, they were Houndour and ObsidianBlade... they caught my attention, at least.

You can quote from me that your fic is far from being n00bish crap...

Whisper in the Wind
8th March 2004, 04:11 PM
Woah, thanks, from you thats a huge compliment (considering I saw how you descriptively downed Sandra & Chargon). So far this is what I got, Gonan search other gd boards 4 some more

Dragonfree
8th March 2004, 04:53 PM
Heh, yeah, I'm very negative when I review stuff... a 100% positive review should be considereda great achievement.

You deserve it, by the way. Since nobody will get that quote unless they've read this thread, let's just say that it's...

Very well written, nice amount of description, very original, and this is coming from a really negative reviewer. Got that?;)

DannyBoy
8th March 2004, 05:28 PM
There really is no way to make people read your story. Sometimes its based on interest. Sometimes a fic might not interest someone so they wont read. Not everyone here might like to read somethings. I try and read as much as I can but sometimes I stumble on to things I can't get into and I just wont lie and say this is good keep it up! It's just not me. But with some things already said like the update thread with a thing about your story helps. It takes time, when I first got here I wasn't all that, it does take time to build readers. Like Brit Chris mentioned, you are just starting. If you ask some people, they will all say they had a bad start.

mistysakura
8th March 2004, 11:53 PM
Heh, you could post a topic like this. I didn't know your fic existed before... will get around to reading it. By the way, The Power Within's not a bad title.

But really, there's a lot of persistence in the deal, because people don't have enough time to read new fics... which is annoying. But there are always closet readers, as someone said before, so unless your no. of views stay the same for days (happened to me once...), you're not inm trouble yet. :D

Whisper in the Wind
9th March 2004, 06:14 AM
Well, hopefully the comments in my sig will encourage readers :) Especially since Dragonfree is mega negative when it comes to reviews (She descriptively tore apart my view on Sanadra & Chargon which was one of my fav fics)

Chris 2.1
9th March 2004, 03:45 PM
Erm, since this issue's resolved, should a Mod close this now?

Whisper in the Wind
9th March 2004, 04:04 PM
well, maybe someone else will have an idea, or someone who has the same question might wanan post their thanks lol.

That reminds me, thanks to you all

Chris 2.1
10th March 2004, 10:14 AM
Well you don't need any contributing ideas, Onimusha; you've got a compliments list, you've been told how to get more people to read your fic, and I'm sure people will start flocking to it anytime now. But since there's little else you need to take in, I would have thought this could have been closed.

The Decapitated Mole
10th March 2004, 07:45 PM
I think that this should be kept open, as a helper to other new writers. I know I could have used it a few years back when I started Hiro. I must've cancelled that story at least 5 times cuz no one read it. Lol anywho, that's my [other] two cents.

o_0
jimm

Chris 2.1
12th March 2004, 02:41 PM
Yea, I suppose so, TDM :). Heck,this would have helped my first fic get off the ground, too.

Whisper in the Wind
12th March 2004, 03:15 PM
Yep, & Kid Micky was the only one with the sense to make a topic like this. And it has helped my topic get off the ground :)

Speaking of which, I've only just posted chapter 5, however I'm already hlf way through 8, so basically I'm thinking of setting a date in which I post my chapters

(EG every monday)

Still undecided