PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Researcher Gary and the revived Aerodactyl! A few spoilers from the text/pic.

Zak
9th March 2004, 09:04 PM
Heh, looks like Gary doesn't carry his Umbreon in a Pokeball much anymore... well, niether did Sakura and her Espeon, in the second Misty Hoso... but he didn't in the league. Weird.

Here's what I got out of the text:

As days and months passed, our friend Gary who used to be Ash's Rival is now a telented Pokemon researcher on a journey.
One day, back in Pallet Town, a letter arrives at Professor Oak and Tracey's place. It happens to be a letter from Gary, inviting them to come immediately to the Saida Research Center.
Quickly, Oak and Tracey make their way to Saida Island, and as they near the research center, a huge Aerodactyl swoops and attacks them! Then they see Gary, who welcomes them, and explains that this Aerodactyl is the reason he invited them. Apparently there's a problem with it, and he needs their help...
Meanwhile, Butch and Cassidy are nearby, and plot to steal Aerodactyl...

This looks... a bit interesting.

~Zak

Animelee
9th March 2004, 10:41 PM
Sad, it seems Yamato and Kosaburou will never be in an episode of the main series. Maybe Shigeru will get Ptera, though? :D

Hmm, sounds pretty interesting. It will be cool to see Shigeru return, and this will finally dispell all rumors that Yuko Kobayashi quit as Shigeru's voice actor.

Pewter City Geodude
9th March 2004, 11:12 PM
Gary's already got the white lab coat, so he already looks the part. :p I'm intrigued that he has his Umbreon with him, his grandfather must have brought some of his other Pokemon or he had them sent to him for some reason. Guess he isn't gonna stick solely with Blastoise after all...maybe that's a hint that we'll be seeing some of Ash's old Pokemon in the anime soon? Here's the preview pic:

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/pokemon_hoso/yokoku/img/img62.jpg

Chris 2.1
10th March 2004, 11:38 AM
Hmm, I heard Gary had aged a lot....so maybe his voice is deeper, or simply, his voice actor returned? *gloat's like a goat* :D

This seems nice. I think Gary will just use his research knowledge to try and make Aerodactyl calm down...but he realises that Grandad Oak knows best ^^

Here's a thought: What if Oak caught it and it then featured in the upcoming Oak AG epi?
--although since this won't air outside Japan the Oak/Birch epi might need to be carefully dubbed...
--and Aerodactyl has no need in being in Ag...does it?

Bakuryu
10th March 2004, 01:24 PM
Sorry, Brit Chris, but maybe not, as many prehistoric pokes have been featured and no one caught them. That's just like someone catching Ho-oh.:no:

JazzJazz
10th March 2004, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Kohji
Sorry, Brit Chris, but maybe not, as many prehistoric pokes have been featured and no one caught them. That's just like someone catching Ho-oh.:no:

The fact that prehistoric pokemon have been featured and not caught is not reason enough to rule out a capture. Scores of pokemon have been featured and not caught in the past...

Chris 2.1
10th March 2004, 03:28 PM
Exactly, thats what I've been saying. I mean the fact an Aerodactyl excists quite happily, I gather anyway, is signal enough, but I'll bet against it; it'll probably belong to a reserve, and they're never keen to give away the moneymakers ^^

ChicRocketJames
11th March 2004, 05:04 AM
I thought Gary was supposed to have ditched all of his Pokemon except Blastoise?

Poor old Butch and Cassidy, they're just not interesting enough to cut it on their own without being Jessie and James's rivals.

And is it just me, or in that picture, does Aerodactly look just like a grey Charizard?

Light_Togetic
11th March 2004, 10:39 AM
Wow, like Grandad like Grandson I guess! ^^;

I'm surprised he's already got the 'look' of a pokemon professor, but I guess since Ash and co. and Misty all got new looks, why not give Gary a lab coat? It should be interesting to hear the explanation of how this Aerodactyl came into being when they're supposed to be extinct (then again, after Mewtwo, nothing should be a surprise... wait... none of them really know about Mewtwo... except Ash and co... never mind!).

And it comes as no surprise to me that Gary would have some of his old pokemon (or maybe just Umbreon) with him. After all, he seems very close to Umbreon, and he's known to have regularly rotated his pokemon in the past, unlike Ash.

And yeah, Aerodactyl does kinda look like a Charizard in that pic; except for the teeth. ^^

Animelee
11th March 2004, 03:12 PM
About Shigeru's appearance: I am kind of disappointed. I mean, everyone got a new look, even Kasumi, but Shigeru's just got his old clothes, with a lab coat. I mean, it's great to see him again, but they should've given him some new attire. But, then again, it's not like he's one of the characters on a journey, so I guess I can understand why. But, then again, Sakura (the Eefee one) and Nanako/Kasey have the same clothes, even though they're on journeys.

JazzJazz
11th March 2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by Animelee
About Shigeru's appearance: I am kind of disappointed. I mean, everyone got a new look, even Kasumi, but Shigeru's just got his old clothes, with a lab coat. I mean, it's great to see him again, but they should've given him some new attire. But, then again, it's not like he's one of the characters on a journey, so I guess I can understand why. But, then again, Sakura (the Eefee one) and Nanako/Kasey have the same clothes, even though they're on journeys.

Don't forget that Tracey still has his old duds... and Misty wasn't in her new outfit when she appeared in Hoso.

Water Pokemon Master
11th March 2004, 11:10 PM
Hmm, maybe Gary revived Aerodactyl from a fossil like in the Gameboy games at Cinnabar Island.

Wild Eevee
12th March 2004, 08:33 PM
Yayy Umbreon!
Look's at screenshot, I think that Aerodactyl would rather have meat than a pear.Just look at it's teeth,definalty a predator. of course it could be deciding weather or not Gary would make a good meal.(just kidding!Had to say it. )

Animelee
21st March 2004, 05:17 AM
Actually, Ptera/Aerodactyl LOVES Obon/Sitrus berries. He eats it for dinner, even!

Anyways, after watching it, I kept re-playing scenes where Shigeru talked, and as far as I can tell, his voice actor is still Yuko Kobayashi. Whoever started the rumor where his voice actor quit needs to be slapped.

Originally posted by Water Pokemon Master
Hmm, maybe Gary revived Aerodactyl from a fossil like in the Gameboy games at Cinnabar Island.

It's actually a dried-up piece of amber with DNA inside, and that's what Shigeru used, too. :) Actually, Shigeru mentionned a fossilized egg, too, but my Japanese is so bad, I'm not sure what he used. He did mention both the Old Amber, and a fossilized egg.

Rei_Zero
23rd March 2004, 07:33 PM
Hmm...so it appears that fossil pokemon can now be revived. Foreshadowing of Devon Corps. fossil machine maybe?

Zak
23rd March 2004, 08:55 PM
Animelee, you sure it was Obon/Sitrus Berries? I didn't hear a single mention of "Obon no mi", but then again I might have missed it. I'll be watching it again anyways when I do the guide.

Also, I'm not the expert on voice actors here, especially Japanese ones... so could someone clarify for me if it's the same? I think this is my first raw Japanese ep/clip featuring Gary. His voice sounded high... dunno if it's naturally like that ^^;;

~Zak

Pewter City Geodude
24th March 2004, 02:40 AM
I think Murg said on SPP that it was indeed the same. And Zak, a little behind on the guides are we? :P AFAIK we still don't have one for the Ludicolo episode.

Animelee
24th March 2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Zak
Animelee, you sure it was Obon/Sitrus Berries? I didn't hear a single mention of "Obon no mi", but then again I might have missed it. I'll be watching it again anyways when I do the guide.

Also, I'm not the expert on voice actors here, especially Japanese ones... so could someone clarify for me if it's the same? I think this is my first raw Japanese ep/clip featuring Gary. His voice sounded high... dunno if it's naturally like that ^^;;

~Zak

Actually, I was wrong. I'm pretty sure it's a Nanashi/Aspear. Those two always confuse me.

Yep, it's the same voice actor, yo. Unfortunately, unlike AG/Housou, I don't have all the older episodes, but I'm lucky enough to have one with Shigeru. Remember the one in Johto where Shigeru showed off his Blacky for the first time, and then there was the whole thing with the Power Plant? I just listened to five minutes of that episode, and then five minutes of the new Housou, and I'm 100% positive it's still Yuko Kobayashi. Maybe she got pregnant, or something, and couldn't do Shigeru for a while? Meh, I guess we'll never know.

Hehe, his voice is actually pretty high -- higher than Satoshi's, which is totally the opposite in the English dub with Ash and Gary. @_@

For anyone who's interested, here's a page on Yuko Kobayashi: http://www.tcp.com/~doi/seiyuu/kobayashi-yuko.html