PDA

View Full Version : X-Men Evolution Idea

FusionSonicX
9th March 2004, 09:19 PM
Well, for my X-Men fafic should I have the X-Men's children be in it or have brand new characters from my mind?

dragon684
10th March 2004, 12:14 PM
I would suggest to keep some of the older characters in it as teachers for new ones. Or that you maybe have characters that are somehow related(through powers, family, friends,...). So I would put in more characters that you created.

The Rusted One
12th March 2004, 06:42 PM
I'd go with new characters; it's more original, and more intriguing. I can't see a fic concerning the kids of the current X-Men being anything but a cheap way of carrying on the story, really - it's not the worst idea ever, but it will probably end up like many of those Ash-and-Misty-have-kids-and-they're-super-skilled fics. I don't think Psyclops, a kid with fluorescent beams emanating from his/her eyes and telekinetic powers that enable him/her to direct it around is going to be overly original.

Darien Shields
13th March 2004, 09:21 AM
As is the case with Magneto and Quicksilver, mutant children don't inherit their parents powers neccesarilly, but are likely to have their own powers.

Also, Psyclops is doubly unoriginal, since that's basicly Darkseid's power from DC ("Omni Vision" I think, Eye-beams he could control.)

The Rusted One
13th March 2004, 08:15 PM
No, well, I was kidding - and I'm aware that the powers of one mutant aren't necessarily governed by genetic similarity to another (though they should be, really - genes don't work on the basis of "random effect") - but really, either the story is going to involve some similarity in powers for some reason, or the children are, basically, new characters anyway, just with basically redundant family connections.

PancaKe
14th March 2004, 02:49 AM
Go with new characters. It gives you many more options personally, instead of sticking with classic costumes, powers, looks etc. New characters, new personalities, original powers, cool names etc. Get the picture??

~Mist

Darien Shields
14th March 2004, 06:19 AM
As stated before, mutant parents don't really contribute that much. Sure, quicksilver has his dad's white hair, and Nightcrawler's blue and furry like his mother, but costumes, powers and personallities are not linked. As I see it, as long as you don't focus on them being the children of old X Men, it can be okay. It'd just give them a nice background and contribute to their character, which is still pretty original.

e.g. Bullet (for want of a better name)
Cyclops and Phoenix's daughter, with the power to fly and surround herself with an energy field that can be used offensively if she is close to someone. Despite growing up in a loving enviroment, she resents her parents for making her a mutant (I know that doesn't make sense, but she's a moody teenager) and would like nothing more than to be a normal human mutant-hater.

Also Note: Sabertooth's son, Creed or something like that, is a human, and the leader of the anti-mutant movement (until they find out about his dadio.) Or at least, that's what the case was in the old X Men cartoon.

The Rusted One
14th March 2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah, but in the case of Sabretooth and his son, there's a point to the family link; with "Bullet", it'd be, basically, pointless..but this will soon become a debate if we're not careful.