PDA

View Full Version : I'm not buying Colosseum.

Razola
11th March 2004, 01:35 AM
But why!? WHY!?!?

It's simple, Timmy, Nintendo has got to stop abusing the fans. We pokemon fans are apparently not a bright lot: Nintendo keeps a quality pokemon RPG on the big console from us for years; it's to the point were we get excited when the game features throwing pokeballs (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26815).

What's really great is how desperate we are. Stop kidding yourself: we're no getting a real RPG with colosseum. I've read enough reviews and previews to see that this is nothing more than the standard fare we've had in the two Stadiums. The only difference is there's a plot and some minor walking between battles. There's cut scenes for travel between towns. That is NOT an RPG, people.

I've had enough. I've tolerated Snaps, Pikachus, and the worst Channel ever to get an RPG, and it's a halfassed effort. No more. Nintendo will get my money when I start to see some real effort in the new pokemon games. I want the same quality games that franchises like Metroid and Mario get.

I demand quality from Pokemon. Don't be a blind fan: demand the same.

Mewton2
11th March 2004, 02:21 PM
And we care.... why? They ain't abusing us. They ain't makin' us buy the game. And do we really NEED a full rpg thing?

The Muffin Man
11th March 2004, 02:48 PM
A company producing something that makes money? Perish the thought!

Get off the soap box, Raz. You're gonna buy it eventually. Or are you going to stop buying all Nintendo games? And clothes. All companies do is give you the same thing every time. 2 arm holes, a head hole, and some sort of cloth. Pssh. I'm tired of that! I want THREE arm holes! And food? *Burns a dollar*Here's a buck the farmers won't get until they stop making ALL their beef products taste like beef!

...See how ridiculous it sounds now?

Animelee
11th March 2004, 03:19 PM
I am pleased with Colosseum, and the only reason I am getting it is because it's a Pokémon game (blind fanboy syndrome). Seriously, Raz, one person not purchasing the game won't make a difference, so you're probably one of few on this decision.

The game isn't that bad. My friend from Germany imported the Japanese version, and he sent me many videos of the gameplay - it's pretty decent.

I suggest you download all of the videos!: http://filb.greenchu.de/colosseum.php

Powarun
11th March 2004, 04:40 PM
Its your loss not mine, I got mine preordered. You see, I don't really care about the graphics, or story, I care about the game play. At least for pokemon anyway. Besides it is better than Staduim. As for Nintendo's other franchises they are classics, Pokemon is still new, game wise. I know you know the N's other big top games, like Metriod, Mario and Zelda, and their ground breaking games, but those have an apeal to all ages pokemon on the other hand was a huge fad that little tikes ran into, so Nintendo is treating pokemon 2nd class knowing that little kids will buy Coliseum. But remember it is the die hard fans that keep sereis of games going.

Mewton2
11th March 2004, 05:56 PM
Raz, if you can't come up with a plausible reason for this post I WILL EAT YOUR HEAD!!! or at least try...

Razola
11th March 2004, 11:46 PM
ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED

Originally posted by Mewton2
And we care.... why?
Because I'm Raz. That's like...a few notches below Jesus (or a similar equivalent). You should not only be caring care, but be writing this done as well.

Originally posted by The Muffin Man
Get off the soap box, Raz. You're gonna buy it eventually.
Maybe for twenty or thirty bucks, but not for fifty dollars.

Or are you going to stop buying all Nintendo games?
Wow, awesome argument! Pokemon Games as of late are average to sub-par. Other games like Metroid or Zelda are excellent. Did you even read my post? Nintendo can do better with the pokemon franchise.

And clothes. All companies do is give you the same thing every time. 2 arm holes, a head hole, and some sort of cloth.
You must be poor, so this may be a shock. Some clothes are made very well. Some companies give me crappy material that is itchy. Some are very thin or not well put together, so they rip in a matter of weeks. I'll let you off easy on this one, since you obviously are having a tough time in this economy and must not be aware of a thing called "quality."

Pssh. I'm tired of that! I want THREE arm holes! And food? *Burns a dollar*Here's a buck the farmers won't get until they stop making ALL their beef products taste like beef!
I'm going to donate more money this year to charity. I just can't stand to see people who don't realize that there is something better than grade C eggs or crappy tasting cereal. There's a word for how well things are made. Sure, they may be similar in design, but there's a difference in how good it tastes, feels, or lasts.

Enough sarcasm, TMM? Arm and head holes is MINIMUM QUALITY. You make like the bare minimum, but I demand more from my favorite developer.

Originally posted by Animlee
Seriously, Raz, one person not purchasing the game won't make a difference, so you're probably one of few on this decision.
Isn't that a self-defeating statement?

"One person can't make a difference, so don't try at all!"

So you are buying it because one person can't make a difference? The whole purpose of this thread is to at least try to spur change.

Raz, if you can't come up with a plausible reason for this post I WILL EAT YOUR HEAD!!! or at least try...
Pokemon is slowly declining in quality, but not sales. Nintendo manages this partially by depriving us of things that they could have done.

We haven't had a true Pokemon RPG on the consoles. Ever. So when we get a very, very poor (compared to the excellent Gold and Silver versions) RPG and the fans eat it up because Nintendo acts like this is a big deal.

We shouldn't be yelling "Yay, Nintendo!", we should be asking, "Why not sooner, and why not better, Nintendo?"

classy_cat18
12th March 2004, 12:01 AM
Um, Raz? I know we all want a real Pokemon RPG for the Gamecube, but there's a problem about that. The company's still targeting little kids. Kids that enjoy playing Nickelodeon games. *shudders at thought of little cousin playing Spongebob Squarepants* Kids that don't know the quality games that came out long ago. What I'm trying to say is, they're still trying to rope in new gamers that have not played the Pokemon games. They don't know what the earlier games were like. They don't know what they're missing out on. Nintendo will only change their strategy when they get some complaint from the little ones.

GreenShirT
12th March 2004, 10:21 AM
And if it is like the 2 stadium games, big deal. They rocked and I have no doubt this will too.

Sceptile_Master
12th March 2004, 11:30 AM
Raz pokemon games aren't declining in quality. The rpg is an mini of such its not the main part of the game its just so you can stinge a few new berrys and pokemon. And there is nothing wrong with that. About Nintendo ripping us off. Each one of these games are worth owning on their own but also complement each other greatly. Its what Ninty do best (take pokemon, golden sun etc). Well you don't buy it. I will just sit here enjoying my self with Colleseum. But my advice is to get it fast.

Don't Run With Scizors
12th March 2004, 12:45 PM
Raz, if I played Pokémon simply for its RPG aspect, I'd have given up on it ćons ago. Metroid and Zelda receive more attention and care because they're supposed to be RPGs that can keep an individual occupied for hours on end. But the RPG aspect of Pokémon pretty much exists to complement the main aspect of the game - competitive battling with other human players - and do little more than that. Quite frankly, I'm glad the RPG in Colosseum isn't so sophisticated. I don't want to have to go to all that trouble and take all that time just to earn all the vital TMs and Pokémon that I want to train.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your ideas on what might qualify as a quality Pokémon RPG. Or, at the very least, draw a funny picture.

Mewton2
12th March 2004, 06:27 PM
Thats not a plausible reason. Answer it this way: would you rather complain untill they place an rpg in front of you on a silver platter or would you rather become creative and work together with other creative fans to create your own, done the way you want? Think of it this way: this shortage of an RPG does wonders for the creative intelligence of the more mature fans.

Mewton2
12th March 2004, 06:32 PM
I'm DOING the later. Well, its crappy NOW but soon

Ultimate Pikachu
12th March 2004, 07:25 PM
First of all, this thread it pointless. No one cares. If you don't want to buy it, then don't. You don't need to tell everyone. It's your loss.

Second of all, the main points of Pokémon is battling. Its not supposed to be a full-fledged RPG like other franchises. You want too many RPGs. The main point of Colosseum is to get some of the GSC Pokémon we couldn't get before, not to be an RPG.

Razola
12th March 2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by classy_cat18
Nintendo will only change their strategy when they get some complaint from the little ones.
Truth. Spread the word to the little ones! Demand better product!

Originally posted by Green Shirt
And if it is like the 2 stadium games, big deal. They rocked and I have no doubt this will too.
Stadium 1 wasn't bad, but it's getting old. It's just a pimped-out battle tower at this point. And I think the graphics this time around just aren't pushing the machine like they did on the Nintendo 64.

Originally posted by Sceptile_Master
Raz pokemon games aren't declining in quality.
Yes they are. When we jumped from the "Colors" to the "Metals," we got more pokemon, time-based events, items, and some new types. A bit more than an expansion's set worth of content. Very nice. Ruby/Sapphire added a very boring beauty contest, and a 2 on 2 system that seems rushed in development. We lost the time-based elements for the most part, got no real graphical boost, and actually lost pokemon. It was a decent game, but Gold and Silver easily top it.

The rpg is an mini of such its not the main part of the game
What are you talking about? Pokemon's an rpg. Half the fun is exploring the world while catching and building up a pokemon team. Colosseum doesn't give us the full experience.

its just so you can stinge a few new berrys and pokemon.
Read above.

And there is nothing wrong with that. About Nintendo ripping us off. Each one of these games are worth owning on their own but also complement each other greatly.
Yeah, to fatten Nintendo's wallet. We get deprived of pokemon in the "Gem" editions, so we can buy their Gamecube game and two remakes. This would be fine if the games were worth it, but they're getting old.

Its what Ninty do best (take pokemon, golden sun etc). Well you don't buy it. I will just sit here enjoying my self with Colleseum. But my advice is to get it fast.[quote]
I'll wait until it's very cheap. It's a endless stream of battles we've been doing for years now.

[quote]Originally posted by Don't Run With Scizors
Raz, if I played Pokémon simply for its RPG aspect, I'd have given up on it ćons ago. Metroid and Zelda receive more attention and care because they're supposed to be RPGs that can keep an individual occupied for hours on end.
And Pokemon is simply incapable of doing this?

But the RPG aspect of Pokémon pretty much exists to complement the main aspect of the game - competitive battling with other human players - and do little more than that.
The current engine, you mean. Nintendo can always update or change the very standard pokemon engine to something that offers both epic quest and multiplayer fun.

Quite frankly, I'm glad the RPG in Colosseum isn't so sophisticated. I don't want to have to go to all that trouble and take all that time just to earn all the vital TMs and Pokémon that I want to train.
If the AI was beefed up, I'd might understand. But If it's even close to the Pokemon norm, then I'd go to the online 'bots.

Anyway, I'd like to hear your ideas on what might qualify as a quality Pokémon RPG. Or, at the very least, draw a funny picture.
It's not that difficult: just give us what we hand on the GBA. Just more. A better storyline (Colosseum, to which I will give credit, is on the right track in that aspect) harder opponents, and some really big twists to the basic engine. I could go into more wildly differing types of gameplay, but this plan would suffice.

That's not a plausible reason.
This is a pokemon fansite, isn't it? I care about the health and lifespan of the franchise, and thus will voice my dissappoint with the current direction. Sorry if whining about a character's skirt length seems to be lower priority topic to me.

Answer it this way: would you rather complain untill they place an rpg in front of you on a silver platter or would you rather become creative and work together with other creative fans to create your own, done the way you want?
Complain until I get my RPG. I am a CUSTOMER, not a slave to their whims. I am paying them to make games for me. They want my money, and thus should listen to what I and others have to say. If I don't like, I won't buy it.

It's a stupid choice anyway, If I wanted my own RPG, I would've gone out and started researching and working on it. But I'm not interesting in programming and that line of work, so of course I'm going to want them to make it for me. Sorry if I want it to be good.

Think of it this way: this shortage of an RPG does wonders for the creative intelligence of the more mature fans.
First off, I can't make a pokemon RPG, smart guy, it's copyrighted. Furthermore, the shortage, if anything, means less people may be inspired to make one. If all the good RPGS went away, then all future generations woukd have for a standard is crappy RPGs. This may turn them off. It could go either way.

I'm DOING the later. Well, its crappy NOW but soon
Awesome double post, dude. Edit button much?

And I'm not interesting in making games. I can't make whatever I don't like. I'd be a cook, writer, programmer, actor, and much more if that were the case.

Originally posted by Ultimate Pikachu
First of all, this thread it pointless. No one cares. If you don't want to buy it, then don't. You don't need to tell everyone. It's your loss.
Read the post, eh? A strong title gets the views and responses. You should not give a damn if I'm buying or not, but why. Discuss that.

Second of all, the main points of Pokémon is battling. It's not supposed to be a full-fledged RPG like other franchises.
It's about catching and building a team of pokemon. Battling is one of many points. Otherwise, there wouldn't be pokecrap like Snap or Channel.

You want too many RPGs.
You want too much battling. Whoa, stalemate.

The main point of Colosseum is to get some of the GSC Pokémon we couldn't get before, not to be an RPG.
Thanks for proving my point.

Like I said, Nintendo is depriving us and then tries to spin it so we're excited when they finally deliver. "WHEE! Gold and Silver Pokemon! OMG, THANKS NINTENDO!"

An attitude that helps Nintendo make money for product below their normal quality.

Mewton2
13th March 2004, 06:34 AM
Wait a little, go buy Leaf or Fire, get Ruby and Sapphire Plates, get Deoxy/Lugia/Ho-Oh, be happy. You get all your oldies back, plus the bonus of catching the Virus

The Gremlin
13th March 2004, 10:18 AM
One reason we have not seen a fully fledge pokemon RPG on the consoles as they are not powerful enough yet to hold the whole pokemon whole.

Nintendo ARE the best game maker in the world and they will make a pokemon RPG but on when the console is powerful enough to contain over 300 pokemon (however many there are by then), over 8 modeled cities/towns (more if there want to include kanto,johto,hoenn), animations for god knows how many attacks, lots of 3d people, a day/night system and Nintendo will wanna pull this off with good graphic.

The Gamecube is a great system but even that cannot pull this off, not without cuting back on the graphics and Nintendo have a policy of if you can't do it right don't do it at all.

i will be getting collessuem, it offers a new way to catch pokemon and battle on gamecube is amazing.

Sceptile_Master
13th March 2004, 10:51 AM
Raz i read your quotes

What are you on about at first when we heard about colleseum we all thought it would just be like the stadium versions. With that in mind i bet you would have bought it (even though you will denie this). So they give us a little extra and you start to complain. The game is called pokemon COLLESEUM. I wonder if that means the RPG aspect is the main part of the game (i am being sarcastic). This proves that the rpg aspect isn't the main part of the game, even though your just going to quote that line and give an absolutely bollocks reason ( sorry if i am not aloud to say that i don't know). Ninty even said it was a side thingy. Well at least thats what all the mags say. If they were going to make a pokemon rpg on the cube then it wouldn't have the colleseum aspect. It is the only way they could pull it off. The only thing that dissapoints me about Colleseum is that they have taken out the mini games. Back when Stadium 1 had just came out my dad liked the mini games so much ( even though he dosen't play gmaes consoles) that he bought me an extra conroller. But anyways it is still a quality piece of hard ware FULL STOP.

The Gremlin
13th March 2004, 09:40 PM
Hehehe my Mum and Dad liked the pokemon stadium 2 mini games.

My Mum like the logcutter with scyther and pinsir.

and my Dad like the Eager Eevee game where they run to the middle.

Some good points aswell mr sceptile

Mewton2
14th March 2004, 09:54 AM
Pokemon Minigames=Parent Traps :P

VirtualPlay
14th March 2004, 10:20 AM
I just have to say this...

Raz, you're an idiot.

*ahem* anyway...

You started out by saying that Colosseum was supposed to be an RPG. IT WAS NOT. Colosseum was originally designed to be the GameCube version of Stadium. They just had extra graphics to burn, so they added walking around instead of selecting your destination with a menu.

"Throwing Pokéballs"? Pfeh, I'm not excited about them, I've been expecting them ever since Ru/Sa had them. It's just a really cool graphical feature that Stadium almost had, except they didn't make trainer sprites (they had the Pokéballs flying, though).

And I agree, to a degree, about there not being a Pokémon RPG because it won't fit. That's where we take a lesson from a fine company called Square and make two (or more) discs. The worlds in the PSX FF games were so huge because they had the extra room on those extra discs. Heck, even Chrono Cross with it's 2 discs had a world larger in size than any single Pokémon RPG, while still having quite a numerous amount of creatures to battle. (It even had a stadium-like place, if you please.) Heck, I wouldn't be totally surprised if they were already developing something like this.

And Pokémon is selling better than Mario or Metroid simply because of the other branches it has. The animé, the TCG, the manga...all of that stuff makes people see Pokémon and want even more of that. The Mario TV show or comic books I haven't seen in ages, and I never even saw Samus with anything like that. That's (kind of, but not exactly) like asking why X-Men is more popular than Aqua Man. People just saw more to manipulate, so they worked with it and brought in more money.

In short: shut up Raz, you have no clue what you're talking about. *shuts his mouth before he starts a flame war*

Zak
14th March 2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by VirtualPlay

Raz, you're an idiot.

*ahem* anyway...

You started out by saying that Colosseum was supposed to be an RPG. IT WAS NOT. Colosseum was originally designed to be the GameCube version of Stadium. They just had extra graphics to burn, so they added walking around instead of selecting your destination with a menu.

"Throwing Pokéballs"? Pfeh, I'm not excited about them, I've been expecting them ever since Ru/Sa had them. It's just a really cool graphical feature that Stadium almost had, except they didn't make trainer sprites (they had the Pokéballs flying, though).

And I agree, to a degree, about there not being a Pokémon RPG because it won't fit. That's where we take a lesson from a fine company called Square and make two (or more) discs. The worlds in the PSX FF games were so huge because they had the extra room on those extra discs. Heck, even Chrono Cross with it's 2 discs had a world larger in size than any single Pokémon RPG, while still having quite a numerous amount of creatures to battle. (It even had a stadium-like place, if you please.) Heck, I wouldn't be totally surprised if they were already developing something like this.

And Pokémon is selling better than Mario or Metroid simply because of the other branches it has. The animé, the TCG, the manga...all of that stuff makes people see Pokémon and want even more of that. The Mario TV show or comic books I haven't seen in ages, and I never even saw Samus with anything like that. That's (kind of, but not exactly) like asking why X-Men is more popular than Aqua Man. People just saw more to manipulate, so they worked with it and brought in more money.

In short: shut up Raz, you have no clue what you're talking about. *shuts his mouth before he starts a flame war*

Woah there... Mike, although I agree with what you said, you might wanna cool down a bit, cause I can say the same about you when you insult the Anime, AND bring up some good points.

Anyways, Raz, look on the bright side. Regardless of the quality of the game, how else are you gonna legally get some of the GSC Pokemon? Meh, that's pretty much the only reason I've been psyched for Colloseum lately, given that I don't even have a GameCube, so its not like I'd be getting it any time soon. If I had a GC, however, I'd definately get it, no question.

~Zak

Kari and Mewtwo
14th March 2004, 01:43 PM
THe reason ive lost most, if not all of my interest in colluseum is the fact that nintendo had 3 years and countless chances to update the graphics. Did they? No, they didn't. They decided to keep the gay n64 graphics from the first 2 stadiums. Since colluseum isn't a remake, this isn't going to fly. THis can pass with Ocarina of Time, since its both a remake of an n64 Zelda AND is one of the best Zeldas out there. Colluseum is an all new game, and DESERVES to use the cube's full potential. But it doesn't. Hell, the trainers look WAY too blocky to be even considered on a cube game. Colluseum can pass as an n64 game, but in no chance in hell will it succeed as a game for the GCN.

Hence, I've lost all interest in Colluseum. Nintendo has failed me, and thus will not be getting my $60 that easily.

In layman's terms: Boycott Colluseum

Mewton2
14th March 2004, 02:39 PM
If ya wanna complain about graphics, go play Animal Crossing. Be happy with what you get, or you don't get anything.

Kokomo
14th March 2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by The Gremlin
One reason we have not seen a fully fledge pokemon RPG on the consoles as they are not powerful enough yet to hold the whole pokemon whole.

Nintendo ARE the best game maker in the world and they will make a pokemon RPG but on when the console is powerful enough to contain over 300 pokemon (however many there are by then), over 8 modeled cities/towns (more if there want to include kanto,johto,hoenn), animations for god knows how many attacks, lots of 3d people, a day/night system and Nintendo will wanna pull this off with good graphic.

The Gamecube is a great system but even that cannot pull this off, not without cuting back on the graphics and Nintendo have a policy of if you can't do it right don't do it at all.

i will be getting collessuem, it offers a new way to catch pokemon and battle on gamecube is amazing.

You really have no idea how wrong you are. They could have easily made a game with all of the pokemon and with better graphics than what they put in Pokemon Coloseum. Making up reasons to why the game doesn't have everything we'd like isn't going to do you any good.

Personally, I plan on picking up Pokemon Coloseum. I think it looks to be pretty fun. I know what it could be, but that doesn't really seem to bother me.

Legends-Kuja
14th March 2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Because I'm Raz. That's like...a few notches below Jesus (or a similar equivalent). You should not only be caring, but be writing this down as well.

You have just been sigged, buddy. Won't forget those lines for the next few years, no sireee!

I'm not getting Colliseum, mostly because I don't have a Gamecube anymore. For the most part, all I've got is a GBA. GO SONIC ADVANCE 3 AND KINGDOM HEARTS: CHAIN OF MEMORIES!!

The Muffin Man
14th March 2004, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by Don't Run With Scizors
Raz, if I played Pokémon simply for its RPG aspect, I'd have given up on it ćons ago.
~Eons.

Metroid and Zelda receive more attention and care because they're supposed to be RPGs
~Metroids action/adventure if anything else. Not at all an RPG.
that can keep an individual occupied for hours on end. But the RPG aspect of Pokémon pretty much exists to complement the main aspect of the game - competitive battling with other human players - and do little more than that. Quite frankly, I'm glad the RPG in Colosseum isn't so sophisticated. I don't want to have to go to all that trouble and take all that time just to earn all the vital TMs and Pokémon that I want to train.
~Because where's the fun in playing the game at all?

ShockingAlberto
15th March 2004, 01:12 PM
Well, one thing. Games like Final Fantasy VII-IX didn't necessarily require three-four discs for the entire game. The same game is on all of the discs, the only thing that's different is the FMV sequences. When the game asks you to put in a new disc, you could just as easily put in any other disc until it hits a FMV sequence.

Also, it's not necessarily a matter of system or disc limitations, but time and money. Even the mini-RPG in Colosseum required a lot of manpower (the developers complained about having to check every possible moveset, one of many). It's quite possible this game is just a test run for the development team. They're probably trying to see what they're capable of before they go out and try a full-fledged RPG.

If you're not going to buy it because it's not an attempt at making the best it can possibly be...well, you better not buy a lot of things. Microsoft had said their XBox was only a test run for the next generation. Better not buy it, then. Really, any food I eat could be cooked with more love...better not eat, then.

-- ShockingAlberto

The Gremlin
15th March 2004, 08:12 PM
You really have no idea how wrong you are. They could have easily made a game with all of the pokemon and with better graphics than what they put in Pokemon Coloseum. Making up reasons to why the game doesn't have everything we'd like isn't going to do you any good.

Im sorry kokokokok.. whatever, but you are the one who is wrong.
I am in my final year of a computer games university course, i have studied the graphics of the GC, PS2 and X-BOX and unless nintendo release a pretty hefty expansion pack then there is no way they can fit all of the features that people want in their 3d pokemon RPG. Unless of course they use graphics from the N64 on the GC.

I am not slagging off pokemon colleseum, i know it will be great with a new way of catching pokemon with the snag feature, but i also know that a proper 3D pokemon RPG is not going to appear on a Gamecube because of the vastness of the actual pokemon world.

Razola
15th March 2004, 08:18 PM
I reply because I care...

..seriously.

Wait a little, go buy Leaf or Fire, get Ruby and Sapphire Plates, get Deoxy/Lugia/Ho-Oh, be happy. You get all your oldies back, plus the bonus of catching the Virus.
So I should just ignore the problem. Is that what you're saying?

If Red/Blue can contain about 130~140 pokemon to be caught, surely the Gamecube can do the same.

They didn't exactly pull off Colosseum with stellar graphics.

They why are they making Colosseum? This seems to be a lackluster effort compared to a true console pokemon RPG.

What are you on about at first when we heard about colleseum we all thought it would just be like the stadium versions. With that in mind i bet you would have bought it (even though you will denie this).
When I saw the first colosseum screens, I was shocked. Not in a good way, mind you. The RPG mode, and the promise of perhaps better graphics as the game nears it's finish kept me firm in my decision to buy. But now, less than a week from release, it still looks pretty sub-par and the RPG mode is far from fully realized.

But who cares when I decided not to buy it? Or if I buy it at all? The point is why Nintendo refuses to go all-out with this franchise. Surely a sub-par Zelda or Mario game would do well, yet Nintendo did a good job with those franchise on the Cube. But I feel pokemon is getting th shaft.

So they give us a little extra and you start to complain.
Read my quotes? Because I already hit this. They drepived us of this for so long that we THINK it's a good extra. It really isn't. It's just putting a spin on things.

The game is called pokemon COLLESEUM.
Irrelevant. We can easily change it to "Pokemon: Grand Quest" or "Pokemon Diamond Adventure."

I wonder if that means the RPG aspect is the main part of the game (i am being sarcastic). This proves that the rpg aspect isn't the main part of the game, even though your just going to quote that line and give an absolutely bollocks reason ( sorry if i am not aloud to say that i don't know). Ninty even said it was a side thingy.
Nintendo Power spent more time covering the RPG mode than battle modes. Some side thingy. I've also heard people like Venusar call it a "30-hour" RPG. The Stadium bits must last forever!

Well at least thats what all the mags say. If they were going to make a pokemon rpg on the cube then it wouldn't have the colleseum aspect. It is the only way they could pull it off.
The name thing means little, and even then I still would question why Nintendo went with the Stadium route again.

The only thing that dissapoints me about Colleseum is that they have taken out the mini games. Back when Stadium 1 had just came out my dad liked the mini games so much ( even though he dosen't play gmaes consoles) that he bought me an extra conroller. But anyways it is still a quality piece of hard ware FULL STOP.
Software. Hardware is the controller. The Gamcube. Your memory card. Games are software.

Originally posted by VirtualPlay

Raz, you're an idiot.
It's going to be very ironic if your post is stupid.

You started out by saying that Colosseum was supposed to be an RPG. IT WAS NOT.
UH-OH. Wrongery at max, cap't. Colosseum can be whatever the hell it wants to be, but I think it would've best if it was scrapped for an RPG.

Colosseum was originally designed to be the GameCube version of Stadium.
You people need to learn one thing: I DON'T CARE WHAT IT IS NOW. What I wnat is for Colosseum is to go away for a nice, fully fleshed adventure. Something fun to occur between battles, ya know?

I'm not arguing about what Colosseum is or was, but it what it should've been. Please keep this in mind, thanks.

They just had extra graphics to burn,
And didn't use them. How odd.

so they added walking around instead of selecting your destination with a menu.
So they gave us extra, unneeded work. Weirdness.

I'm just posting what I sees.

Oh, the spark of intelligent ideas! A solution rather than excuse! How refreshing.

The question for me is: Why didn't they do that now?

So Nintendo is producing comparatively worse product because of this? That's just not professional in my eyes.

I like this post, it said some good things. You just need guidance.

Originally posted by Kari & Mewtwo
THe reason ive lost most, if not all of my interest in colluseum is the fact that nintendo had 3 years and countless chances to update the graphics. Did they? No, they didn't. They decided to keep the gay n64 graphics from the first 2 stadiums. Since colluseum isn't a remake, this isn't going to fly. THis can pass with Ocarina of Time, since its both a remake of an n64 Zelda AND is one of the best Zeldas out there. Colluseum is an all new game, and DESERVES to use the cube's full potential. But it doesn't. Hell, the trainers look WAY too blocky to be even considered on a cube game. Colluseum can pass as an n64 game, but in no chance in hell will it succeed as a game for the GCN.
Quoted for truth. You all read this, right?

In layman's terms: Boycott Collosseum

Animelee
15th March 2004, 11:21 PM
NO WAY, I'M GAME FREAK/GENIUS SONORITY'S TOOL!

HavoX
16th March 2004, 08:28 AM
tell me about it :P

Sceptile_Master
16th March 2004, 12:49 PM
I have read your new quotes raz.

The name is not irrelavent it is just telling us that the colleseum mode is the main part. I can not wait any longer to see my team and especially my super rare shiny Tentacruel explode into 3D on the big screen. About the hardware thing, i only noticed until after but couldn't be bothered editing it. It is a worthy extension of a game once you have 202 on your dex (which I have) and a perfect level 100 team (which I almost have). I don't think they are trying to make us think it is too much of a good extra. Remember I said a little extra. Once I have stinged all the unobtainables on to my GBA-SP I will probably be investing all my time in the Colleseum mode. The Stadium route what are you on about acting like it is a bad thing. I have to go for my tea now but I am going to fight this out raz. FIGHT I TELLZ YAZ.

Mewton2
16th March 2004, 03:55 PM
In order to create further maham, the rest of my post shall be in a dead language that isn't Latin! Guess the language and win a digital cupcake!:

Chem a' Raz. Ger. Sedjem 'n. Sdjm tw tsh, sdjm nai chem. Pokemon Colloseum nai nedjes RPG. Colloseum hena Ruby/Sapphire yew RPG. Rech? Nefer.

Master Tony
18th March 2004, 08:50 PM
Hmm, I would have to agree with Raz and Kari & Mewtwo, this could've been MUCH better, espescially graphics-wise (anyone recall Starfox Adventures? Damn, dem's some good graphics! :o ) Although they aren't that important, it'd be cool to see Pokemon as they would look as real creatures. And a story that was GOOD would be a nice change, as well as some more control of the Pokemon in battle (y'know, move them around and stuff), character customization to some extent to balance the Trainers out (ever notice that there are almost NO fat people in the games?), and online play so that we (literally US here at TPM) could fight each other and test our teams out more effectively, no more "RMT PLZ!!!!!!11111!" crapola, and lastly, VOICE ACTING!

Despite the fact that I agree with these two whole-heartedly, I'm still gonna get the game. (several people fall over anime-style) It's just because I only have one friend who plays the game, he's a n00b, and he never wants to battle, so this is the only way I'll get to battle high-level teams. :(

Razola
19th March 2004, 05:10 PM
The name is not irrelavent it is just telling us that the colleseum mode is the main part.
My argument is that Nintendo went down the easy path with a Stadium engine. That makes the name pointless for the discussion. I care not what the name of the game is.

The Stadium route what are you on about acting like it is a bad thing.
It is the easy path. No real story, no overly complicated maps or things of this sort. Colosseum, in true pokemon tradition, as made a very tiny evolution, giving us a bit of story with our strong of battles.

Kari and Mewtwo
19th March 2004, 06:26 PM
If nintendo was so desperate to make a GCN rpg, they shouldve done it as a separate disc. That way, thered be room for graphical improvement on BOTH aspects of colluseum: RPG and colluseum modes

Ultimate Pikachu
19th March 2004, 10:57 PM
If nintendo was so desperate to make a GCN rpg, they shouldve done it as a separate disc. That way, thered be room for graphical improvement on BOTH aspects of colluseum: RPG and colluseum modes

How do you know they wanted to make an RPG?

Aninymouse
19th March 2004, 11:51 PM
You know, I agree with just about everything you've said, and some of what Raz is saying as well. I agree that Colusseum's graphical engine is miss-matched, that it feels like it could be much more. However... I am buying it. Why? I want something of more substance than the 2-D GB games. Just seeing Cradily or Steelix in 3-D makes me smile. I have Stadium 2, and you know, back in the GSC days I didn't play it all that much. However, I loved being able to plug some hard work from Silver into PS2 and see it in flashy, eye candy glory. I enjoyed fighting pokemon of high levels that used cheap tricks and weird attack types to throw me off, instead of the GB "trainers" who just sit there, so to speak.

I know Colusseum has major flaws, but they only seem unforgivable if you were expecting something on par with, say, Wind Waker. Wind Waker was close to perfect, but it was too short. Colusseum offers a sense of gratification to you, lots of bonus material to work with on the GBA, and MOST IMPORTANTLY in my opinion, the CHEAPEST way to trade between GBA pokemon games. That last one is DAMN important. I don't have any reason whatsoever to buy another GBA just so I can have a Machamp instead of a Machoke, for instance.

Now, I started to say that I didn't have expectations for this game on par with Tales of Symphonia or Final Fantasy 9, and here's why: I took one look at the main character with his snag arm outstretched... and upon seeing it over and over again as more of the game was developed, I knew straight away that this was going to be half a game.

Half a game. A tool. Stadium was always just a tool.

This time it's no different. This time, it's just more fun, and there's more incentive to beat everything. Pokemon Box was such a sad excuse for a release I almost felt angry. Box was essentially part of Colusseum sheared off and passed off as it's own tool title. The storage space wouldn't work with Colusseum's memory needs, but still...

Erm, I'm getting off topic. It can't be helped; back in "real world" I'm tired and exhausted. Here's my bottom line:

Ruby/Sapphire were okay. There was a lot of steps forward, but a lot backward as well. EGM said this, you know, except with more prejudice.

Fire/Leaf are near perfect. GSC's innovation was huge, but it had nothing resembling "game balance" or "replay value". I've beaten Yellow version more than 15 times, and I'm still not sick of it. The gameplay was more primitive, but superior in design. This in why Fire/Leaf are the real stars of the pokemon world: they combine the best of both worlds. To write them off just because they're remakes is to miss the point somewhat. I'm too tired to expound on this, but you either get it or you don't.

Colusseum is a tool used to enhance your enjoyment of these two sets of games, and nothing more. Therefore, for what it sets out to be, it's an 8.5 out of 10 in my book.

When Nintendo is ready to make a GBA game on the GCN... it'll be shocking. They could've done it eons ago. And so, I leave you with one more paragraph...

Enjoy FL, buy PC if it suits your needs, keep RS around to get stuff on FL you cant otherwise and start bombarding Nintendo with letters describing in detail what sort of 3-D Pokemon RPG you wish to have developed. I will. I don't know what else to say, I'm goin to bed. I hope you realize I'm not trying to disagree with you, but that I'm just trying to get accross to you that Colusseum isn't a 3-D RPG, but a tool. Stadium 2 wasn't any 10/10, mind you. It's suplementary.

Thank you and good night, good sirs of Pokemasters.
God bless ya.

Mewton2
20th March 2004, 07:27 AM
Ahk-Her, Aninymouse! Ahk-Her!

Kari and Mewtwo
21st March 2004, 08:13 PM
meh, if i ever do get colluseum, it'll only be for a couple of reasons.

1.) Salac berry. MUST get my hands on that.
2.) Celebi.. yay... </sarcasm>
3.) Catching the GSC pokemon that ARENT in FR/LG
4.) Next-level battle simulation, although the game itself will most likely be ridiculously easy because the cpu's AI is nowhere near that of a competitive human player, judging by stadium & stadium 2's AI.
5.) utility purposes (extra tms, berries, trading, etc)

otherwise, colluseum is a flop imo.

The Gremlin
21st March 2004, 08:52 PM
From now on i will only read negative comments about pokemon collosuem from people who have actually played the game, not the japanese version because if you cant read japanese (unlike me) then you cannot enjoy it fully.

So i guess the number of valid negative comments are equal too....

ZERO.

Don't judge a book by its cover people its bad for your health and bad for your face.

Pokemon Collessuem is a good game and i dare anyone here to play it and say elsewise.

|
INSERT REPLY HERE \ /

Razola
22nd March 2004, 10:24 PM
From now on i will only read negative comments about pokemon collosuem from people who have actually played the game, not the japanese version because if you cant read japanese (unlike me) then you cannot enjoy it fully.
But positive comments from people who haven't are perfectly fine? Nope, that doesn't register.

And I'm sorry if I don't feel like:

A) Wasting any amount of money on this game to confirim my feelings.

B) Posting: "BASED ON ARTICLES I HAVE READ, I DO NOT FEEL THAT THIS GAME IS WORTH PLAYING" whenever I state my opinion.

Ahk-Her, Aninymouse! Ahk-Her!
There's no shame in admitting defeat, but don't act like a damn child about it.

Kojiro
24th March 2004, 08:00 AM
Everytime a big game comes out I always fear it will be bad becuase of topics like this. But when I get it I love it, this topic is starting to make me not want the game because someone is pointing out all the flaws. But I will still get it and end uploving it!

Razola
24th March 2004, 11:46 AM
If you like Colosseum, then you will love games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Both which are already out and demand your purchase.

The Muffin Man
24th March 2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Raz
If you like Colosseum, then you will love games like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow. Both which are already out and demand your purchase.

Only one statement sums up my reaction.

Double-yoo Tee Eff?

Kari and Mewtwo
24th March 2004, 03:31 PM
Alright, seeing as most of you people are blind to the truth, I shall tell you "the truth" about colluseum

1.) No gym leader castle
2.) No oober battles. The Mewtwo battle in Stadium 1 and the Lugia/Ho-oh/Mewtwo battle in Stadium 2 were by far the whole backbone of the stadium series. I was expecting a Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza/Mewtwo/Lugia/Ho-oh battle, but now it looks like the chances of that happening is now 0.
3.) Round 2 mode. Another backbone of the stadium series was the replay value that Round 2 had to offer. Though it attempted to make the CPU's AI almost human, round 2 was still ridiculously easy in both stadiums, but it was fun nonetheless. Colluseum lacks round 2 mode.
4.) Little to No pC system. Do they REALLY expect us to waste another $60 on a flop game like pokemon box?!?
5.) Graphics. As stated earlier, nintendo's decision to recycle the n64 graphics from stadium 1 & 2 seriously pissed me off. Yes, a great game may not need good graphics (Ocarina of Time's graphics are sorta messed up, but it is by far the best Zelda game to this day, with LttP and the original LoZ in a close 2nd), but this is the gamecube, NOT the n64. I feel ashamed to even consider it a GCN game.
6.) No balance of effort. All of colluseum's effort was placed into the RPG mode, and not the colluseum mode. The colluseum mode is almost non-existant, judging by the lack of a stadium-esque PC system, a gym leader castle, AND a final battle vs the oobers (mewtwo in PS1 and the rival's Lugia/Ho-oh/Mewtwo lineup in PS2).

so in short, <^> you, colluseum..

Mewton2
24th March 2004, 04:13 PM
Ahk-Her means bravo. BRAVO!!! I got colosseum and it is fun. FUN I SAYS!!!

Number1ChanseyFan
24th March 2004, 04:30 PM
No oober battles. The Mewtwo battle in Stadium 1 and the Lugia/Ho-oh/Mewtwo battle in Stadium 2 were by far the whole backbone of the stadium series. I was expecting a Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza/Mewtwo/Lugia/Ho-oh battle, but now it looks like the chances of that happening is now 0.

Well, the 8th Trainer in 2 vs. 2 mode at Level 100 Orre Colosseum has these Pokémon:

Trainer #8

Groudon-Level 100
Kyogre-Level 100
Slaking-Level 100
Salamence-Level 100
Latias-Level 100
Latios-Level 100

Yeah, it might not be as tough as Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza/Mewtwo/Lugia/Ho-oh, but it should still be pretty good.

Poryhedron
24th March 2004, 06:18 PM
Gym Leader Castle concept = Mt. Battle.

Or are you complaining because you don't get to see headshots of Roxanne, Brawly, etc.?

Kari and Mewtwo
24th March 2004, 07:16 PM
mainly that.

Ky00ber? Groudon? The LATIS????

I just hope they dont have soul dew otherwise this is gonna be worse than what i hoped for.

Alright, you people are starting to convince me. Ill give Colluseum a try despite its flaws.

The Muffin Man
24th March 2004, 07:47 PM
I'm tired of this "OMG N64 GRAPHIX" crap. No, they're Melee graphics. Not the best 'Cube can do, but still quite nice.

Also, the attack animations are where the graphics shine.

Ultimate Pikachu
24th March 2004, 09:32 PM
Alright, seeing as most of you people are blind to the truth, I shall tell you "the truth" about colluseum

1.) No gym leader castle
2.) No oober battles. The Mewtwo battle in Stadium 1 and the Lugia/Ho-oh/Mewtwo battle in Stadium 2 were by far the whole backbone of the stadium series. I was expecting a Groudon/Kyogre/Rayquaza/Mewtwo/Lugia/Ho-oh battle, but now it looks like the chances of that happening is now 0.
3.) Round 2 mode. Another backbone of the stadium series was the replay value that Round 2 had to offer. Though it attempted to make the CPU's AI almost human, round 2 was still ridiculously easy in both stadiums, but it was fun nonetheless. Colluseum lacks round 2 mode.
4.) Little to No pC system. Do they REALLY expect us to waste another $60 on a flop game like pokemon box?!?
5.) Graphics. As stated earlier, nintendo's decision to recycle the n64 graphics from stadium 1 & 2 seriously pissed me off. Yes, a great game may not need good graphics (Ocarina of Time's graphics are sorta messed up, but it is by far the best Zelda game to this day, with LttP and the original LoZ in a close 2nd), but this is the gamecube, NOT the n64. I feel ashamed to even consider it a GCN game.
6.) No balance of effort. All of colluseum's effort was placed into the RPG mode, and not the colluseum mode. The colluseum mode is almost non-existant, judging by the lack of a stadium-esque PC system, a gym leader castle, AND a final battle vs the oobers (mewtwo in PS1 and the rival's Lugia/Ho-oh/Mewtwo lineup in PS2).

so in short, <^> you, colluseum..

1: Mt. Battle
2:Final person in Battle Mode has 4 legendaries.
3:I haven't tried Battle Mode, but some people are smart, some dumb.
4:There's enough in Ruby/Sapphire.
5:Who cares, besides, the graphics are good.
6:Explained in 1, 2, 3, and 4,

Kari and Mewtwo
24th March 2004, 10:28 PM
I'll take back some of my negative comments about colluseum for now. Once I get a chance to play it, then we shall see if my opinions change.

Razola
25th March 2004, 01:10 AM
Only one statement sums up my reaction.
Double-yoo Tee Eff?
If you want to get Colosseum over either of those, you are on crack.

Nace
25th March 2004, 04:04 AM
I feel ashamed to even consider it a GCN game.

Out of interest, do you consider animal crossing a gcn game?

Colloseum is more about the battles anyway. At least you get to see the pokemon moving and in 3d. Be happy with that.

Mewton2
25th March 2004, 06:16 PM
Colosseum is good. I saw Rayquaza in 3D so I'm happy.

The Blue Avenger
25th March 2004, 07:24 PM
It may be a ploy by Nintendo to get money, it may not be the best that the 'Cube can do, but I plan on purchasing PC because it looks fun. That's what matters to me in a game.

And I think the graphics are good. Some are just laugh-out-loud funny. Have you seen Miror B?

The Muffin Man
25th March 2004, 08:21 PM
The first Splinter Cell sucked. I don't have high hopes for a sequal.

And Unreal is nothing like Pokemon, neither is Splinter Cell. It's a bit ass-backwards to assume everyone has the same opinions about a FPS and sub-par Metal Gear wannabe as they do about an RPG...

Razola
26th March 2004, 08:19 PM
The first Splinter Cell sucked. I don't have high hopes for a sequal.
You also thought the same about GTA, so I don't hold your judgment in high regard. I doubt you even have heard of the new multiplayer, which is nothing short of awesome.

And Unreal is nothing like Pokemon, neither is Splinter Cell. It's a bit ass-backwards to assume everyone has the same opinions about a FPS and sub-par Metal Gear wannabe as they do about an RPG...
They are games that came out in March. They all cost money. Money is a limited resource. Get the picture? And they all share the aspect of FUN. And guess what? Unreal 2K4 and Pandora Tomorrow are cheaper and more fun than Colossuem. They are, in my opinion, the wiser purchase.

Kari and Mewtwo
26th March 2004, 10:54 PM
Well, considering i was finally able to get my hands on colluseum today, Ill admit its better than i expected. The graphics arent really as bad as i thought they were, but still not the best. The moves on the other hand, all i have to say is HOLY ****ING COW. Surf & Flamethrower literally PWNS. Although if you ask me, ancientpower & shadowball couldve used a little bit of work.

The RPG mode is pretty interesting, seeing as you can catch a pokemon besides mewtwo or deoxys that literally has the potential to attack a trainer without having to think twice about it (Ash's Charmeleon, anyone?). True it might not have stayed with the original stadium format (GLC, lab, stadium, freebattle, GB tower, library, minigames, & final battle), but once i get a chance to actually upload my poes (seeing as i have no GCN-GBA cable as of yet), chances are i might enjoy it.

I guess i was wrong about Colloseum.

The Muffin Man
26th March 2004, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Raz
You also thought the same about GTA, so I don't hold your judgment in high regard. I doubt you even have heard of the new multiplayer, which is nothing short of awesome.
~Not if you take more than 10 seconds to pick a game ;)

They are games that came out in March. They all cost money. Money is a limited resource. Get the picture? And they all share the aspect of FUN. And guess what? Unreal 2K4 and Pandora Tomorrow are cheaper and more fun than Colossuem. They are, in my opinion, the wiser purchase.
So you DID buy Colosseum? That's the only way you could give it a fair judgement really.

Razola
27th March 2004, 12:00 AM
So did you buy Colosseum? That's the only way you could give it a fair judgement really.
That's like gambling. Fifty bucks and gas money for a game who's articles have not made me think I'll like it? It's called renting.

And did you read my post? I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I have only so many places where I can spend my cash. Unreal and SC also have free demos, which makes deciding what to buy a bit easier (though Nintendo should provide more demo discs). I liked them, and Colosseum didn't sound good from the articles I read. The limited funds I had went to those two games.

Powarun
27th March 2004, 08:06 AM
Your loss Raz, you could at least have rented it. Yeah the battle mode was toned down a little, but the RPG makes up for it. And to those that say it is easy, must have trained their pokemon because I tried going straight through the game without pausing at battle tower or anything, and lets say a team of level 39 pokemon can't beat a team of level 49.

Aninymouse
28th March 2004, 02:22 AM
I got the game the first day (almost a week ago, now...) and have been playing it through slowly, surely. I'm the cautios type, you know.

Let me tell you, This game is not easy. First you have the fact that your movesets are predetermined or most of the game, and that you're playing with stuff like Yanma and not Blaziken, for instance.

The levels of your opponents are unforgiving if you fart around and don't train once in a while. Remoraid comes in a Lv20 when most pokemon are 30+, and I' had a HELL of a time purifying that bugger. Also, the shadow pokes are so spread out you can't readily form a kickass team from the get-go, so you're forced more or less to take it slow for the first half.

Really, I don't have any qualms about the game, except I want more pokemon 0_0;

Razola
28th March 2004, 02:33 PM
I'm going to laugh at the majority of you if the AI is as piss-poor as the previous Stadiums. High Level does not mean challenging in an RPG. That's laziness, a way for developers to either A) Increase challenge for the idiots who don't level or B) Increase game length for those smart enough to.

I want an AI that very rarely makes completely idiot mistakes and shows some idea of strategy.

EDIT: Splinter Cell multiplayer is amazing. Colosseum is not my loss, but my gain since I had the spare cash to buy such an incredible game.

Mewton2
28th March 2004, 04:54 PM
Is it just me, or is Ein the hardest guy to beat? The game is difficult because they don't give you the right guys to snag so its a major pain going against Bosses.

porygandrew
29th March 2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Raz

EDIT: Splinter Cell multiplayer is amazing. Colosseum is not my loss, but my gain since I had the spare cash to buy such an incredible game.

So.....

You want us to trade in Collosseum for Splinter Cell?

these are two totally different genres.

Splinter Cell is a much more mature game than pokemon, obviously. Sure the graphics are great and such, but it's a totally different target audience. Saying that we should give up playing Pokemon (Collosseum) for something like Grand Theft Auto (no way in He**<- don't know how much I can get away with on this forum) is utterly ridiculous. It's like saying that we should give up Disney movies for Barber Shop.

Well you know what? I love Disney Movies - Treasure Planet is one of my favorite movies of all time.

And it's great that you want something better. It shows that there are things that need to be improved on. I for one see the possibilities and drool with excitement. But what should I do, complain and moan? No. That is just being a spoiled kid. I'll eagerly anticipate the next games and have hope for the future (as naiive as I am).

The RPG in Collosseum was meant to make it different than the stadium predicessors, but not entirely alienating the series. I do agree with you, however, that I miss the things that were in the Stadium games, but I will give credit to nintendo for creating something new and unique to look forward to instead of Pokemon Stadium 3.

And as always, "Have a nice day :) "

Razola
29th March 2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by porygandrew
So.....

You want us to trade in Collosseum for Splinter Cell?

these are two totally different genres.
Read my post, I cannot afford to buy every game that is released.

And yes, yes I do.

Splinter Cell is a much more mature game than pokemon, obviously. Sure the graphics are great and such, but it's a totally different target audience. Saying that we should give up playing Pokemon (Collosseum) for something like Grand Theft Auto (no way in He**<- don't know how much I can get away with on this forum) is utterly ridiculous. It's like saying that we should give up Disney movies for Barber Shop.
Barbershop is mature? I must be getting old. And Splinter Cell is just a more serious James Bond. The ESRB just starts throwing around Ms when people die.

And it's great that you want something better. It shows that there are things that need to be improved on. I for one see the possibilities and drool with excitement. But what should I do, complain and moan? No. That is just being a spoiled kid. I'll eagerly anticipate the next games and have hope for the future (as naiive as I am).
Should I congratulate you for being stupid or something? If Coca-Cola gave you piss in a can, would you keep buying it, saying "Well, I eagerly anticipate their next soda and have hope for the future!" If you were smart, you'd complain, because you are a customer and are entitled to give your opinions about products your're spending money on.

I do agree with you, however, that I miss the things that were in the Stadium games/quote]
It's official: you are either blind or just lazy. When did Isay I wanted MORE features from Stadiums 1 & 2? If anything, I wanted LESS. Here's an idea: read the entire thread before hitting the reply button.

[quote]And as always, "Have a nice day :) "
If the next console Pokemon game is anything like Colosseum: I'm blaming you first.

porygandrew
29th March 2004, 09:40 AM
This is fun :wave:

Not everybody can buy every game that is released. That's a lotta dough to throw around for Snap, Pikachu, and Box :rolleyes:. But Pokemon as a franchise is based on the idea of interaction with other people through the games, specifically through trading. Sure you can link-battle, but really, the game loses less with that gone than it does with pokemon that are gotten through trading.

And it is your choice between Splinter Cell and Collosseum, and you have made your own decision. Very mature of you. Congrats.

Barbershop: Would you show it in front of elementary students - the audience in which collosseum is for? I'm not talking parental supervision for explination, but the kids alone in front of the t.v. watching the movie while the parents are at work. Same goes with Splinter Cell. (Though I know that it's the parent's job to explain all of the fantasy violence, death, and killing to their children. If more of this happened, there would be less of it happening, but that's another topic)

Coca-Cola is fine. Piss in a can is the opposite of improvement. Stadiums are fine, a scenario mode - though not as great as what could be - is still better than none and a plain-jane Pokemon Stadium 3 (which has been done, twice).

I am happy with what they have and I see the room for future development. Now if the next game turns out to be another Pokemon Channel, then of course I'll get mad. But I'm not going to get mad when they release something that is supposed to be a bridge between the current and the upcoming Gameboy releases. (What are the current sales figures for Pokemon Channel? How many did it sell overall so far? That should be news to Nintendo that even though they have a lower age-bracket for the pokemon games, they still rely on us older gamers to shell out our money for quality games - Something that Collosseum meets the standards for - but doesn't excel).

Stadium games are fine, I wouldn't mind if they released a version that included the old school stuff (like minigames which are addicting) along with incredibly innovative new things; just as long as an RPG game is released side-by-side and both are compatible with each other.

If the next console Pokemon game is anything like Colosseum: I'm blaming you first. okay, deal!
:D

Razola
29th March 2004, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by porygandrew
Barbershop: Would you show it in front of elementary students - the audience in which collosseum is for? I'm not talking parental supervision for explination, but the kids alone in front of the t.v. watching the movie while the parents are at work. Same goes with Splinter Cell. (Though I know that it's the parent's job to explain all of the fantasy violence, death, and killing to their children. If more of this happened, there would be less of it happening, but that's another topic)
I probably would, I for one didn't see anything wrong about it. It had a solid moral, and it was pretty funny. The jokes might be above a child's head.

Coca-Cola is fine. Piss in a can is the opposite of improvement. Stadiums are fine, a scenario mode - though not as great as what could be - is still better than none and a plain-jane Pokemon Stadium 3 (which has been done, twice).
Compare this to other Nintendo franchise: Pokemon is getting the shaft.[/B][/QUOTE]

porygandrew
29th March 2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Compare this to other Nintendo franchise: Pokemon is getting the shaft.[/B] [/B][/QUOTE]

This reminds me of something:

At my school, we have started the Laptop initiative in which incoming freshman and transfer students get a laptop (transfer students can opt-out). Great idea. We were told that after two years, we can purchase the laptops. Even better!

Well come time to thinking about purchasing our laptops and whaddya know, someone didn't do their research and now we cannot buy our laptops (something about the software installed). Nor have the laptops been all that great. I don't know anything about laptops so I can't give you any specs.

But all that the laptop people have heard were that the laptops were all bed-o-roses since no one bothers to actually voice their opinion.

Same thing here. We as consumers - and you are right about this - have the right and opportunity to voice our opinions over products but most of us don't know who to contact, how to contact them - and most importantly, how to approach the subject. Again, I agree that if we see something that could be done better, we should say something. But by boycotting and flaming nintendo, they won't listen to those who do that. Those who review the product fairly and talk about what type of improvements they would like to see will get more notice.

(and since we are going to go on 6 pages of this topic, could you summarize what changes and improvements would you like to see for any future pokemon GC release?)

See ya! 8)

Razola
29th March 2004, 09:16 PM
I've already stated this: I just want a solid RPG experience. It would be great if we could get something that wasn't a retread of the Game Boy pokemon, but I'd be happy if it had stellar graphics, good plot, and a decent challenge.

porygandrew
30th March 2004, 05:30 AM
Keeping in mind that the target audience is 8-12 y/o (though the average player is around 14/15 from what I gather), what would you consider a decent challenge for a pokemon game?

Razola
30th March 2004, 02:48 PM
Something that doesn't make retarded mistakes, might require occasional level to be less difficult, and keeps the player from getting bored.

Age matters not, they didn't dumb down difficulty when I was 8.

The Muffin Man
30th March 2004, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Raz
Something that doesn't make retarded mistakes, might require occasional level to be less difficult, and keeps the player from getting bored.

Age matters not, they didn't dumb down difficulty when I was 8.

How would you class the opponent using a Calm Mind Suicune and continuing to Calm Mind until it was pretty sure Wobuffet wouldn't survive/Mirror Coat?

Powarun
30th March 2004, 06:58 PM
I found the RPG mode a bit of a challenge, especially in the ending Realgam tower. Unless if you train your pokemon vigoursly it would actually be a bit of a challenge, besides making shadow pokemon was a pretty good idea because if you wanted to make a team with killer pokemon, you have to actually have to deshadowfy your pokmmeon.

Mewton2
30th March 2004, 07:01 PM
It's fun! FEAR MY MIGHTY POST!!!

Razola
30th March 2004, 10:41 PM
How would you class the opponent using a Calm Mind Suicune and continuing to Calm Mind until it was pretty sure Wobuffet wouldn't survive/Mirror Coat?
Wait a minute...Wobbuffet?

Pokemaster Matt
31st March 2004, 04:27 AM
Raz, I think that was an example.