PDA

View Full Version : Poll: *Throws controller across room* ARGHHH!!

Zak
11th March 2004, 06:19 PM
Whee, another poll from me... I FINALLY got past that son of a ***** Cubia in .hack//MUTATION. Been stuck since the SUMMER...

1. Have you ever been stuck on a video game (mainly action/RPG)?
2. What's the longest time you've been stuck on any game? And which game?
3. Did you manage to pull it off? If so, how?
4. What do you usually do when your stuck?
5. What are your alternatives if that idea doesn't work?
6. Are you stuck on any games right now?

~~~

1. Yes...
2. Probably the one I explained above. It used to take me a lot longer before I discovered Gamefaqs.
3. Well, this wasn't a case of not knowing what to do, but it was a case of not having a good strategy to beat that thing. I just leveled up and got some new material... but it was tough.
4. Gamefaqs.
5. I search on Google...
If that fails, I post on some gaming board...
If that fails, I ask some friends for help...
If that fails... I somehow manage to figure out a way by myself, regardless of how long I've been doing that in the first place.
Otherwise... I give up.
6. Nope.

:)

~Zak

EVme15
11th March 2004, 06:37 PM
For the sake of my mental sanity, I will count lost games as 'not eligible'.

Oh, man, yes. I would (not very happily, mind you) like to admit that Pokemon Sapphire was the first Pokemon game I have (had) in which I ever beat the Elite Four.
Hm... I'd say the longest that I actually beat (as opposed to grabbing the nearest able game player and forcing them to do it) was the few (yeah, right...) months it took me to get my Chao to become a Grand Master in Chao Karate in Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. OK, so it's not the main quest. You still get an emblem, and Keno KEPT LOOSING ON THE THIRD OPPONENT! ;-;
Lotsa chaos drives... lots of them... like, about 50 or so of each color and probably around 75 fruits... those took me a long time to collect ;-;
Complain. Get someone else to do it. I'm not a GameFAQs person. I get someone else to do it, or I keep working at it until I give up or finally succeed. Usually the former.
... *points up*
Pikmin: I'm too afraid of my little guys dying to do anything
SA2B: I can't get any more emblems ;-;
Sapphire: WHERE THE HECK IS THAT LATIAS?!
Beyblade Ultimate Blader Jam: This one level is SO DANG HARD TO BEAT!

kainashi
11th March 2004, 07:57 PM
1. yep.
2. a couple of hours?
3. found a walkthru.
4. i get mad?
5. turn the system off.
6. nope, don't play video games much anymore, besides the occasional call of duty, counter-strike, and day of defeat here and there.

Red Angel
12th March 2004, 12:21 AM

Not really. I'm an RPG person, which means that the only thing that I tend to get stuck on are puzzles... or stupid fetch quests. Grrr.

Well, it took me the better part of a week to figure out each of the lighthouses in the original Golden Sun...

Yup. It's called GameFaqs.

Try, try again, try different approach, repeat many, many times, repeat ad nauseum.

Give up and consult GameFaqs.

Adavance Wars 2. The Green Earth battleship mission is just HARSH if you want to get the Neotanks, too.

classy_cat18
12th March 2004, 12:57 AM
Yeah, Banjo-Tooie. See, I was missing a move so I couldn't access the rest of the worlds. Plus, I didn't know that the underwater part was so big. I didn't want to go past that octopus.

I think it took me two weeks to get moving again on Banjo-Tooie.

I managed to swim past the octopus, get the Talon Torpedo, and access the other worlds.

Wander around and do random stuff until I get unstuck. I'm a master of trial and error, and I don't like going to Gamefaqs the first time.

*sighs* Gamefaqs and game guides.

Pokemon Silver. Stupid dragon Pokemon! I'm talking about the Elite Four.

Austrian ViceMaster Alex
12th March 2004, 01:22 AM

1.) Plenty of times, especially when I started playing vidoe games 15 years ago, I got stuck at the most ridiculous places and situations.

2.) I got stuck in Legend of Zelda on the NES for several days and in Zelda 2: The Adventures of Link on the NES for many weeks, I can't remember how long but I started the game over twice and played it to that very point again where I got stuck so it must have been very long.

3.) Yes, by pure luck and exploring the entire area carefully. What I was missing was in a place that I've been 100 % sure I had searched before, so I didn't bother going there for a long time to check again.

4.) Nowadays, read it up at Gamesfaq.

5.) Do it the old way, try it over and over till it works, mostly after taking a good break from the game.

6.) No, not at the moment since I only play old stuff right now that I've complted numemours times before.

RedStarWarrior
12th March 2004, 02:29 AM
No.

N/A

N/A

I don't ever get 'stuck' but if I did, I would pause the game for a couple of minutes and go do something else. Usually when I get stuck on a project or something, distracting my attention to other things causes me to come up with a solution.

Cheating...

No.

cd
12th March 2004, 07:08 AM
1. of course.
2. not sure, probably a few years on some old snes game i didn't finish.
3. :confused:
4. gamefaqs. or google for the game name. try and get any info i can that might help me out.
5. try all different strategies my mind can come up with. until something else takes my interest.
6. no. :)

Elemental Seribii
12th March 2004, 08:52 AM
1. Have you ever been stuck on a video game?
But of course.

If I remember correctly, I was stuck for a ong time in Donkey Kong 64. Oh! I was stuck for a horrifically long time in Yellow because I couldn't get through Victory Road. I didn't realize there was that little opening near the bottom. --;

Yep. For Yellow, I kind of wandered down and nearly killed someone when I realized that I could get through that opening. By luck, really. For DK64, I got a free game guide with a magazine, and that helped a lot.

I tend to go backtrack, see if there's anything I missed. If I'm able, I talk to everyone again. Look for anything out of place. Re-explore the level, or redo the level/start from the beginning again.

GameFAQs, other online guides. Button bash if applicable. Hey, you never know. If none of that works, I usually turn off the game and try not to think about it for a while.

Not so much stuck as not having played them for a while.

The_Missing_Link
12th March 2004, 07:35 PM
Because you insisted, Zak...

1) Yes, in the Zelda games. I just give up for a while and then comes back later
2) Probably on the fire temple in OoT for a better part of a year
3) Yes, by the lovely things we know as walkthrough :D
4) Give up or use a walkthrough
5) If it doesn't, I just give up completely. I'm not going to spaz about a game for the rest of my life
6) Not really, but I need to finish the Temple of the Gods in Wind Waker

Jay
12th March 2004, 09:07 PM
1. I'm still stuck on that damn Majora's Mask game >< I've been stuck a lot of times xD And this is something the guide can't even help me with since it's a stupid boss =/

2. *points above* Still stuck on it. Been stuck on it since 2001, but I eventually gave up playing it.

3. No. This third boss, which is some ultra-hard fish in the Ocean Temple place, that is like the hardest boss of all time in Zelda's history >_<;

4. I give up xD

5. I try and do it if I can't give up 0_o;

6. *points up* xD Also Wind Waker and a couple of other games I don't really remember. Nothing much though

shazza
12th March 2004, 11:01 PM
-Yep.
-Well usually a few hours or a day or two.. But, I used to play (IMO) the best RPG game when I was 6 in 1995 on DOS, called Ultima 7. I was stuck on some bit, and after awhile it was deleted.. 8 years later in 2003, I redownlaoded it and converted it for windows, and I finally got past that bit.. :wave:
-I was older, so I knew what to do. :wave:
-I try to find all the possibilites.
-Gamefaqs.com
-Nope

bme
13th March 2004, 01:32 AM
Yes, a lot of games.
The longest would be about 2 months. Mainly on games like Mario Bros. 3 and Super Metroid which required some ingenuity on certain parts.
Yes, I eventually beat both of those. Super Metroid I never played much, so I never beat it until last week. Wasn't that hard actually.
I keep retrying to see if there's a pattern I can exploit, something like that.
I keep trying anyway until I get a break. =D
Currently, i'm on Metriod Fusion. Ridley-X is a punk, and i'm rusty with his pattern. :(

Adz44
13th March 2004, 08:30 AM
1. Yes. Too many to name...

2. I really don't know. I will say that I had some trouble defeating that monster at the Nibelheim Mako Reactor in FF7. After countless defeats, it occured to me that I had to start again. My characters levels were just not good enough. When I reached that bit again, I defeated it.

3. See above.

4. After a few attempts, I'll switch the console/PC off and have a think about it while I'm doing something else. When I'm lucky, I can go back to the game and pull it off.

5. The game gets discarded for a long time. I refrain from using cheats.

6. I have plenty of games I have yet to complete. Once again, too many to name...lol

Yoh Asakura
13th March 2004, 08:59 AM

1) When I was lil yeah.
2) Few hours, few RPG's
3) Yeah, play the game?
4) Go for a drink an' somethin' to eat then come back to it.
5) Turn the console off and play it later.
6) No, all games now days are too easy to get stuck in.

"Mainly on games like Mario Bros. 3" o.0 I can complete that game in about 25/30 mins ~.~

Bakuryu
14th March 2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Zak
Whee, another poll from me... I FINALLY got past that son of a ***** Cubia in .hack//MUTATION. Been stuck since the SUMMER...

1.I got
stuck on Banjo-Kazooie. My mom helped me beat that.
2. I got stuck on Sonic Adventure 2 battle for 2 weeks on the Last story. Stupid conjoned missions...
3. Yeah I did, by using brain power.

4. I buy a guide.
5. I ask my friends to help me.
6.Kingdom Hearts. I'm scared to go in the Graveyard in Halloween Town.Stupid vanishing dog.
~~~

1. Yes...
2. Probably the one I explained above. It used to take me a lot longer before I discovered Gamefaqs.
3. Well, this wasn't a case of not knowing what to do, but it was a case of not having a good strategy to beat that thing. I just leveled up and got some new material... but it was tough.
4. Gamefaqs.
5. I search on Google...
If that fails, I post on some gaming board...
If that fails, I ask some friends for help...
If that fails... I somehow manage to figure out a way by myself, regardless of how long I've been doing that in the first place.
Otherwise... I give up.
6. Nope.
You suck. When I'm stuck on a game and I need help, when I go to bed I thnk of a strategy to beat the game, wake up and it works. Try that.

~Zak

Silver Ledian
14th March 2004, 01:44 PM

1. Yep.
2. Probably a couple of days on Pokémon Red, when I first got it.

3. Yep. I asked a friend in school and he told me how to get through it. It was the Seafoam Islands. I couldn't get through them and I'd thought I'd pushed all the boulders in but I hadn't. I didn't know of TPM/gamefaqs etc. at the time ^^;;;

4. I either look at the guide I have for the game or else I'd go online and look for a guide. Alternatively, I'd post a thread on the board stating my problem.

5. Stop playing for a while and then return to it a few days later and try to do it myself - though that rarely happens, hehe.

6. Nope :)

Aipom Of Doom
14th March 2004, 02:26 PM
1. Well... not too much. I usually get bored with the games before I get stuck on them, and go back to SSBM xD
2. Eh, I know that there was one section of Zelda: Oracle of the Seasons that I couldn't get through for a while =x.
3. yeah, I got it eventually. Probably by giving up the game for a few months, then coming back and finding that I missed something XD.
4. I either practice or get bored with the games ;o.
5. Get bored with the game and go back to SSBM ;o.
6. I got stuck in the Enter the Matrix game and I haven't gotten through it yet :o.

kurai
4th April 2004, 12:27 PM
1) Yes.
2) When I was younger I owned ALTTP, and I had to have been stuck on multiple parts for MONTHS at a time.
3) Yeah, it was odd as I played it even though I was stuck, so I eventually figured things out through sheer brute force.
4) Nowadays I just ask people mostly or attempt the brute force trick as well.
5) GameFAQs, heh.
6) No.

Kyl3
4th April 2004, 12:42 PM
1. Indeed.
2. 3 Days, Call of Duty
3. Had to go up the hidden stairs. (yes I got it)
4. Something else
5. It never doesnt work ;)
6. (n)