PDA

View Full Version : help please

phaedrus
12th March 2004, 03:34 PM
I'm about to get Ruby/Sapphire.

1st q: Ruby or Sapphire, IYHO?

2nd q: Which is best starter in the LONG RUN?

thanks.

HavoX
12th March 2004, 03:54 PM
1.) Both Ruby/Sapphire are the same game (and equally great as well), except there are some Pokémon that aren't available in each version

2.) Mudkip is strongly recommended because if it evolves into Marshtomp before you get to the Mauville Gym to face Wattson, you'll definitely have a huge advantage because Marshtomp is not only a water-type, but a ground-type as well

Poryhedron
12th March 2004, 04:21 PM
1.) Both Ruby/Sapphire are the same game (and equally great as well), except there are some Pokémon that aren't available in each version

Well, actually, there's more of a difference between them than there has been for the older games. In Ruby Version, the enemy gang is Team Magma, who tend to use Zubat, the Dark-type Poochyena and the Fire/Ground-type Numel, and intend to expand the landmass of Hoenn. In Sapphire, the enemy is Team Aqua, who use the Water/Dark Carvanha instead of Numel, and who seek to raise the sea level, thus shrinking Hoenn.
Also, among the pokémon only found in one version are Legendaries that you battle as plot. In Ruby Version, you'll have the chance to capture the Ground-type Raiser of Continents, Groudon; in Sapphire you'll meet the Water-type Carver of Oceans, Kyogre.

2.) Mudkip is strongly recommended because if it evolves into Marshtomp before you get to the Mauville Gym to face Wattson, you'll definitely have a huge advantage because Marshtomp is not only a water-type, but a ground-type as well

Not only that, but Marshtomp is hands-down the easiest way to deal with the first Gym Leader, the Rock-using Roxanne, who is several times better than RBY Brock. There aren't a lot of good anti-Rock pokémon you can get your hands on before her.

HavoX
12th March 2004, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Poryhedron
Well, actually, there's more of a difference between them than there has been for the older games. In Ruby Version, the enemy gang is Team Magma, who tend to use Zubat, the Dark-type Poochyena and the Fire/Ground-type Numel, and intend to expand the landmass of Hoenn. In Sapphire, the enemy is Team Aqua, who use the Water/Dark Carvanha instead of Numel, and who seek to raise the sea level, thus shrinking Hoenn.
Also, among the pokémon only found in one version are Legendaries that you battle as plot. In Ruby Version, you'll have the chance to capture the Ground-type Raiser of Continents, Groudon; in Sapphire you'll meet the Water-type Carver of Oceans, Kyogre.

Gah, I almost forgot about that. thanks for pointing that out http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/icons/icon14.gif

phaedrus
12th March 2004, 06:54 PM
so basically the difference besides pogeys is:

-More Land
-More Water

Nothing much besides that....

well, which versions did you all get?

Ultimate Pikachu
12th March 2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Buu
so basically the difference besides pogeys is:

-More Land
-More Water

Nothing much besides that....

well, which versions did you all get?

No the map is the same. Pretty much the only differences are Pokémon, Team Aqua/Magma, and nothing else. I got both, but I use Sapphire mor often.

Poryhedron
12th March 2004, 09:07 PM
Yeah, neither Team Aqua nor Team Magma succeed at their endeavors. The player makes sure of that.
I have Ruby...erm...I forget why. Possibly just because my sister loves Water-types, so she'd probably want Sapphire.
If you like completing the Pokédex, each version has its own good points. First off, if you're patient, you can get as many of most element Stones as you want...but you can only get more than one Sun Stone in Ruby, and you can only get more than one Moon Stone in Sapphire. The 200 obtainable pokémon include one Sun Stone-evolver and two Moon Stone-evolvers, so Sapphire wins that point. However, if you're going to Catch 'Em All, you'll find a Spore Swiper will come in handy...and the breeding chain to produce the only RS-obtainable Spore Swiper involves two Ruby-only pokémon.

rinku
14th March 2004, 04:04 PM
This won't matter much if you have someone else to trade with, but there are significant differences between the "only in one version" wild pokémon:

Ruby/Sapphire

Mawile/Sableye
Zangoose/Seviper
Solrock/Lunatone
Seedot family/Lotad family

plus the version only legendaries:

Latios/Latias
Groudon/Kyogre

In terms of the best long term starter, I'd tend to agree with Mudkip, though Treecko has a lot going for it. However, many of its useful moves are egg ones (Leech Seed, Crunch) and it is probably better to trade and breed later.

Really, none of them are actually weak choices and will get you through. All can deal with the first gym (Rock) since Torchic evolves to Fire/Fighting at L16 and gains Double Kick, while the others have a type-advantage from the start. Second gym is Fighting and third is Electric, so none have any great DIS-advantage (Combusken has a small advantage in the fighting gym as it learns Peck, and Marshtomp has a good advantage in the third as it is Water/GROUND), but after that you really don't need to rely on your starter anymore.