PDA

View Full Version : Rmt

Ark Chaos
14th March 2004, 02:08 AM
Hi, it has been a long time since I actually trained a team, but I've been on a roll lately. Now, I think I have an idea for all the new strategies. My forte used to be RBY, so I'm working really hard on making competitive teams for RS. I'm playing in-game right now, so rate this based on that. Thanks in advance. I appreciate any and all help. And if you want EVs, just ask.

Amazon (Sceptile) @Petaya Berry
Timid
Protect/Agility
Dragon Claw
Crunch
Leaf Blade

Since it is so hard in-game to get Hidden Powers, I thought I'd just try and find a filler for the fourth move. Protect might give me the ability to avoid a move like Toxic or Will-O-Wisp and then switch (basically, use it to test the waters) and Agility would just make me even faster than I already am. This is just a special sweeper.

Grim (Dusclops) @Leftovers/Chesto Berry
Impish
Calm Mind
Ice Beam
Rest
Will-O-Wisp

I got this from an FAQ on GameFAQs and really wanted to try it out. Dusclops has a lot of staying power, so it probably could survive Resting, but I want to leave the possibility open. Basic strategy: WoW, CM a few times and then Rest and fire off Ice Beams.

Narcissa (Milotic) @Leftovers
Bold
Surf
Mirror Coat
Recover
Refresh

This is annoying. I've only got in-game for experience, but it ended up very useful. I'm sure this is self-explanatory, but if you have any questions, ask.

Fefnir (Salamence) @Leftovers
Adamant
Dragon Dance
Brick Break
Aerial Ace
Earthquake

Physical Sweeper, 'nuff said. DD then sweep. Overused and I'm quite sure standartd.

Pearl (Grumpig) @Choice Band
Calm
Trick
Calm Mind
Psychic
Magic Coat/Shock Wave

I've always wanted to use a Grumpig. The idea is to hopefully get something like Leftovers from your opponent and give them Choice Band. I can't decide on the last move. I don't know much about Magic Coat, can anyone give me a detailed description of it? And Shock Wave would be to also use CM.

Kyoko (Ninetales) @Leftovers
Calm
Will-O-Wisp
Roar
Flamethrower
Safeguard

Pyroshuffler. I thought I might need a psuedohazer too. Other possibilities for this spot might be Weezing. Anyway, it is pretty self-explanatory.

Well, thanks for any and all help. I know I used a lot of Leftovers, but I couldn't think of anything else. I hope this was ok. And I was thinking of Metagross instead of Salamence, but that would ruin everything. However, I do have a few other Pokémon trained. If you want to see them too, just ask. They are Torkoal, Chimecho, Metagross and Crobat. Thanks for everything, later!

Rabid_Cow
14th March 2004, 01:12 PM
I like some of your ideas, but I've got just a few suggestions.

Sceptile needs Earthquake somewhere on him, maybe instead of Agility or Protect. Yours is timid, so the speed should be fine already, and the testing of the waters idea is alright, but Earthquake would not only help kill fires, but give him one physical attack.

On dusclops you might want to consider this instead:

Dusclops @Leftovers
-Shadow Punch
-Calm Mind
-Will-o-Wisp
-Confuse Ray

Shadow Punch is STAB, Calm mind is there for added staying power, Will-o-Wisp and Confuse Ray would help avoid a LOT of damage together. Basically he won't be taking too much damage between the last three moves, so Leftovers would be better.

Another Milotic...ok here goes. The moves recover and refresh could be both summed up into one move if used with the right item. A Chesto Rest would allow him to get the benefits of Refresh (heals psn, plz, and brn conditions) and fully heals him. Because your Milotic is "BOLD" an aguav berry would do the exact same thing. If you chose to do this, it would open up another move slot. Consider something like this:

Milotic @Aguav
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Rest
-Mirror Coat

This would help eliminate the Dragons out there, and because my recommended Dusclops doesn't have Ice Beam anymore, it seems a natural fit here.

Salamence IS overused, but I have an alternative for you. Altaria. It would be able to give you the psuedohazer that you so desire and is a decent physical sweeper.

Altaria @anything
-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace/Iron Tail (whichever you choose)
-Rest/Haze

I love Altaria's ability: Natural Cure. You can rest then switch and when he's brought back into his pokeball any status condition is erased. OR you can go with Haze and that could be just as useful, and I would then recommend putting Shell Bell on him for some health recovery.

I like your Grumpig w/ the Trick Idea. Magic Coat: Reflects leech seed and moves that cause Poison, Paralyze, Sleep and Confuse back at the attacker. I'd go with Shock Wave, only because of the Calm Mind bonus.

Instead of Safeguard on your Ninetales I'd go with Confuse Ray, Will-o-Wisp and Confuse Ray = Priceless. Otherwise it's fine.

Good team all in all though. Just because I'm curious what are the other poke's moves (torkoal, chimecho, metagross, and crobat)

Hope I helped!:wave:

Ark Chaos
14th March 2004, 11:34 PM
For Sceptile, the idea was to be all special attacks because I split his EVs to be Speed and Special Attack. But I'll keep the Earthquake idea in mind and see which I prefer.

For Dusclops, although I dislike the idea of Shadow Punch on him with his lack luster attack and nothing to boost it, I can see the point, since it is only to outlast the opponent. However, Shadow Punch is really the only quarrel I have with your suggestion. I think I'll try him with a special attack (Ice Beam or Psychic) and also with Shadow Punch. Also, one question, why Shadow Punch and not Shadow Ball? Is it for the accuracy? Oh, and just noticed... I can also see how Shadow Punch might be a trick, seeing as how if your opponent sees Calm Mind, they might immediately assume a special attack. Ok, done ranting on Dusclops.

For Milotic, I think I will change it to that. What I never thought of was that with Rest, her defense goes up as well because of the status condition. Thanks. Also eliminates one more Leftovers. :)

I can see Altaria fitting for one other reason too: I have a lot of defense orientation with my team. I really like Salamence, even if it is underused because I love Dragons, but I'll take this into consideration. The only reason I can see on making this only a physical attacker is that Haze would eliminate any bonuses from DD. Unless it changed and now Haze only removes the opponents changes? Well, another one to think on.

All right, thanks for the info on Magic Coat. I also found that it throws back status lowering skills, like Growl. It is described as throwing Special effects back at user, so it looks like any special effect would be returned. But I'll stick with Shock Wave, more useful.

Yeah, I was thinking about Confuse Ray on Ninetales. Since I have enough Pokémon that can either heal from status inflictions or benefit from them, I suppose even passing Safeguard wouldn't benefit much. I'll use Confuse Ray.

I'll post a new version of my team later. And here's the other Pokémon

Belle (Chimecho)
Timid
Psychic
Light Screen
Reflect
Heal Bell

Originally, I wanted a Heal Beller because of their use in GSC. However, after noticing all the ways I DIDN'T need one, I abandoned her. Well, she's still around because I could always use a psuedopasser too. I still love my Belle.

Metagross (no nickname as of yet)
Adamant
Agility
Meteor Mash
Earthquake
Sludge Bomb/Return/Brick Break

I can never decide on the last move. Another physical sweeper. I would use Psychic, but I wanted my EVs in Attack, so I abandoned it for anything but in-game use.

Raphael (Torkoal)
Bold
Yawn
Amnesia
Rest
Flamethrower

Another tank. Put them to sleep, up his Special Defense, Rest and then fight back with Flamethrower.

Wingnut (Crobat)
Jolly
Aerial Ace
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball/Return
Haze/Shadow Ball/Return

Either used as Hazer or physical sweeper and really does both jobs well. I never would have thought of Crobat as being able to dish out hits well until I tried this. It's Speed is amazing in that role.

And I didn't include any items on them because I haven't decided any. I usually have items work with the team as well as the individual Pokémon.

Any other suggestions or other Pokémon I could use to help are welcomed. And thanks Rabid Cow for all the advice. I'll post a new version later when I have time. I'm stalling on my homework right now, lol.

Ark Chaos
15th March 2004, 09:41 PM
Thought I'd post the new team now.

Amazon (Sceptile) @Petaya Berry
Timid
Protect/Earthquake
Crunch
Dragon Claw
Leaf Blade

Grim (Dusclops) @Leftovers
Impish
Shadow Punch/Psychic
Calm Mind
Will-o-Wisp
Confuse Ray

Narcissa (Milotic) @Aguav Berry
Bold
Surf
Ice Beam
Rest
Mirror Coat

Nimbus (Altaria) @Shell Bell
Adamant(?)
Dragon Dance
Earthquake
Aerial Ace
Haze

Pearl (Grumpig) @Choice Band
Calm
Trick
Calm Mind
Psychic
Shock Wave

Kyoko (Ninetales) @Leftovers
Calm
Will-o-Wisp
Roar
Flamethrower
Confuse Ray

I think it is a little more balanced out now with Pokémon usage.. only three overused, lol. When FRLG finally come out, I'm hoping to mix things up more.

Don't Run With Scizors
15th March 2004, 11:19 PM
Grumpig absolutely needs Psychic, Substitute, Calm Mind, Confuse Ray\Shock Wave. The thing works wonders.

Rabid_Cow
16th March 2004, 05:53 PM
I like the changes, and I thought I'd explain some of my recomendations.

Amazon- I still think that Earthquake would be the best choice here, exept maybe because of the Timid nature protect may be better. The testing of the waters idea isn't bad at all, especially if you want mirror coat on Grumpig. This is really up to you, but I still stand firm with Earthquake.

Grim- Sorry about postin the wrong move on this guy. I meant shadow ball, but I put punch. My bad. Ghost pokemon are weak to Ghost and Dark moves. I really have been thinking about this more and more since I rated your team for the first time. The move calm mind is best used both offensivelly or defensivelly. It's really up to you, but here's your two options: Calm mind and use the +special defense, and then fire off the STAB with Shadow Punch for a power of 120. -OR- Calm mind and use both the +'s for Special Attack and Defense, and fire off your psychics (ice beam would even be fine here, since it damages dark pokes, which are a real threat!)

Narcissa- Nice. Need I say more? (if you don't understand why I suggested these moves just PM me on it.)

Nimbus- I've got some explaining to do here don't I? I'll give you a situation where this moveset is prime. Your opponent brings out a tank, and it manages to pump its stats, (just like your Grim) and take out one of your guys. Send this guy in. Haze to drop their long hard work getting their tank in full motion, (this does bring your stats back down too, but if you just bring him out, it doesn't matter) and then use your DD. Now you have the upper hand on speed and attack (when they try rebuilding their tank's defenses) and you can hammer with the upped attack with STAB aerial ace for 90 base power, or with your E-Quake! It can make itself a tank if you give it just a little time (2 turns!).

Pearl- Yeah, loving it.:yes: The trick on this guy is gonna be so helpful! You really don't need the substitute unless you really wanna drop trick/choice band combo. (I wouldn't this is too cool of an idea!)

Kyoko- Yeap, good here too!

I like your team. You've got some really nice combos runnin here! The trick on grumpig is priceless. PM me if you have any more questions!

Hope I helped!!!

:wave:

Ark Chaos
18th March 2004, 11:44 PM
Thanks a lot. I'm thinking I'm going to try to make a team of underused Pokémon next. I've already got a few ideas. Thankfully I'll have Colosseum soon so I can expand my Pokémon base. Well, I'll make sure I post the team when I think of it. BTW, you said Shadow Punch again instead of Shadow Ball, lol.

Rabid_Cow
19th March 2004, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Ark Chaos
BTW, you said Shadow Punch again instead of Shadow Ball, lol.

I think you knew what I meant....:wave: