PDA

View Full Version : [GSC] Shiny eggs

Sceptile_Master
14th March 2004, 09:15 AM
I have just read the thread called 'Two shiny pokemon questions'
and have got myself a shiny blue Ditto. Anyways I am trying to breed for some shinys. Can you tell me how many steps you need to take for different pokemon to hatch from their eggs.

Special thanks to 'Number1ChanseyFan' for the shiny blue ditto information.

Number1ChanseyFan
14th March 2004, 03:31 PM
I'm glad that the shiny Ditto info was helpful for you!! :wave:

Anyways, here is a listing of how many steps that it takes for Pokémon to hatch from their eggs. :)

1280 steps-Magikarp.

2560 steps-Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, or Togepi.

3840 steps-Caterpie, Weedle, Pidgey, Rattata, Spearow, Zubat, Geodude, Sentret, Hoothoot, Ledyba, or Spinarak.

5120 steps-Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, Ekans, Sandshrew, Nidoran(F), Nidoran(M), Vulpix, Oddish, Paras, Venonat, Diglett, Meowth, Psyduck, Mankey, Growlithe, Poliwag, Abra, Machop, Bellsprout, Tentacool, Ponyta, Slowpoke, Magnemite, Farfetch'd, Doduo, Seel, Grimer, Shellder, Gastly, Drowzee, Krabby, Voltorb, Exeggcute, Cubone, Lickitung, Koffing, Rhyhorn, Tangela, Kangaskhan, Horsea, Goldeen, Staryu, Tauros, Porygon, Chikorita, Cyndaquil, Totodile, Chinchou, Natu, Mareep, Marill, Sudowoodo, Hoppip, Aipom, Sunkern, Yanma, Wooper, Murkrow, Wobbuffet, Girafarig, Pineco, Dunsparce, Gligar, Snubbull, Qwilfish, Shuckle, Sneasel, Teddiursa, Slugma, Swinub, Corsola, Remoraid, Delibird, Houndour, Phanpy, Stantler, Smeargle, or Miltank.

6400 steps-Onix, Mr. Mime, Scyther, Pinsir, Misdreavus, Heracross, Mantine, Skarmory, Tyrouge, Smoochum, Elekid, or Magby.

7680 steps-Omanyte or Kabuto.

8960 steps-Eevee or Aerodactyl.

10240 steps-Chansey, Lapras, Snorlax, Dratini, or Larvitar.

Poryhedron
14th March 2004, 04:27 PM
Hrm...I guess I might as well ask this here. In Ruby/Sapphire we've discovered a neat trick involving the mudslides, that make you slide back if you're going any slower than a Mach Bike that's been allowed to build momentum. Just keep pressing up, without the Mach Bike, and you can walk an infinite number of steps without having to turn around...meaning you can find a way to hold the button down without you being there, and let it stay that way overnight. Boom, hatched egg. Also good for putting pokémon in day care and raising the heck out of their levels.
My question is, can this sort of thing be done anywhere in GSC? For example, in most buildings with more than one story, you step up onto the stairs and the game makes you step down from them on the next floor. So, holding down the up button, you'd continually walk up and down stairs between two floors...does this walking count toward hatching eggs?

Strider
14th March 2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Poryhedron
My question is, can this sort of thing be done anywhere in GSC? For example, in most buildings with more than one story, you step up onto the stairs and the game makes you step down from them on the next floor. So, holding down the up button, you'd continually walk up and down stairs between two floors...does this walking count toward hatching eggs?

I would imagine that it would indeed count towards hatching eggs. Unless I'm wrong on this (correct me if so), any type of movement, such as walking, riding bycicle, etc., should.

Sceptile_Master
15th March 2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks again 'Number1ChanseyFan'

But there is a problem. My Togepi finds no interest in my blue ditto. The Togepi isn't shiny either. Or does Togepi count as a baby pokemon like Elekid and Magby etc.

Any help would be appreciated.:wave:

Number1ChanseyFan
15th March 2004, 12:32 PM
Togepi, like any other baby Pokémon, can't be bred. However, it can be bred once it evolves into Togetic. The only Pokémon that can't breed are Nidorina, Nidoqueen, Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Pichu, Cleffa, Igglybuff, Togepi, Unown, Tyrouge, Smoochum, Elekid, Magby, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, and Celebi.

SupremeChampion
15th March 2004, 09:13 PM
togepi is a baby, and will breed once it evolves. i also think walking up and down between two floors would count as steps, but i think that it would take more time than if you did it with the mudslide areas.

~The Italian Stallion

ACB0666
16th March 2004, 05:28 AM
talking about shiny pokemon, if you lose catching one it will apear again?:( :( :(

SageofDarkness
16th March 2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by ACB0666
talking about shiny pokemon, if you lose catching one it will apear again?:( :( :(

I think it's random.. I don't think it'll appear agin. soz
BTW, my bro found a random shiny Weedle as his 7th Pokemon on his silver version! then a shiny Miltank later on!!

Number1ChanseyFan
16th March 2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by ACB0666

There is a 1/8192 chance that a Pokémon you encounter in the wild will be shiny. Any Pokémon can be shiny. So, if you missed out on catching a shiny, you may find another shiny of the same species that you missed catching, but it will likely be an incredibly long time before you will see it, or any other shiny again. You can increase the chances of getting a shiny Pokémon to 1/64 by breeding a regular Pokémon with a shiny. A shiny Ditto is really helpful to use for breeding shinies, because Ditto can breed with pretty much any Pokémon that can breed. I'll copy/paste the shiny Ditto trick and the shiny guide from another one of my posts, so that you can see how to get a shiny Ditto, and so you will understand what exactly makes a Pokémon shiny. ^_^

Here is the shiny Ditto trick:

Trade your Red Gyarados from G/S/C to R/B/Y.

Once you trade the Gyarados to R/B/Y, teach it Mimic with the R/B/Y TM.

Find a wild Ditto.

When you encounter the wild Ditto, use Mimic, and learn Transform.

Have your Red Gyarados use Transform twice.

Now, catch the Ditto.

Trade the Ditto to G/S/C.

Now, if everything was done right, the Ditto should be shiny.

Now, here is what makes a shiny Pokémon shiny...

Every Pokémon has a set of DVs. (Deter Values) DVs can never be changed, unless you use a Gameshark, and they are automatically set when you catch a Pokémon. Because DVs can't be changed, shinies can't become "unshinied." DVs decide what a Pokémon's "personal max stats" are. For example, Butterfree has a maximum Defense stat of 198. However, one Butterfree's Defense stat may go no higher then 178, while another's may be 190, and another's could be 184. If a Butterfree's Defense stat is 198, then it is said to have maximum Defense DVs. Anyways, DVs are used to decide a lot of different things, such as a Pokémon's personal max stats, a Pokémon's Hidden Power type and base power, and whether or not a Pokémon is shiny. DVs can be anywhere from 0-15, and each stat has it's own DV, except for Special Attack and Special Defense, they are combined into one DV. A DV of 15 means that the Pokémon will be able to reach it's species maximum for that stat, so a Butterfree with a Defense DV of 15 can have a Defense stat of 198, which is the maximum for it's species. If a Pokémon has a DV of 0 for a stat, then it's personal maximum for that stat will be 30 points lower then the maximum for it's species. For example, a Butterfree with a Defense DV of 0 will have a maximum of 168 for it's Defense stat. If a DV is lower then 15, then you subtract 2 points from the maximum stat for a Level 100 Pokémon for each 1 point that the DV is off from 15.

Here is a little chart to explain this better. The number on the left is the DV, and the number on the right is how much the Pokémon will be off of the max stat for it's species.

DV (# below max stat)

15 (0)
14 (2)
13 (4)
12 (6)
11 (8)
10 (10)
9 (12)
8 (14)
7 (16)
6 (18)
5 (20)
4 (22)
3 (24)
2 (26)
1 (28)
0 (30)

A Pokémon's DVs are completely random, except for it's DV for Hit Points. (HP) A Pokémon's HP DV is decided by the DVs for it's other stats.

If the attack DV is an odd number, add 8. If it is an even number, add 0.

If the defense DV is an odd number, add 4. If it is an even number, add 0.

If the speed DV is an odd number, add 2. If it is an even number, add 0.

If the special DV is an odd number, add 1. If it is an even number, add 0.

Ok, now, here is a listing of what DVs a Pokémon will have if it is shiny... :)

HP: 0 or 8.
Attack: 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, or 15.
Defense: 10.
Speed: 10.
Special: 10.

d2k41
17th March 2004, 04:35 PM
hey you know the waterfalls. If you try to surf up one of them without using waterfall, you get pushed back down again. If you did this the same way, would it count towards steps for eggs, daycare centre etc?

Poryhedron
17th March 2004, 05:56 PM
Hm! You're absolutely right, it should! That's much better than stairs...thanks for ponting that out! :D

Chris 2.1
18th March 2004, 11:23 AM
Excellent thought, d2k41! I find the Ice Path handy - go to the room where you push four boulders down, and try to land in an area so you can do either COMPLETELY up to down (no boulders or walkable spots) or Left to right. Eggs hatch very quickly if you just press left/right and watch TV :)

SupremeChampion
21st March 2004, 09:35 PM
ACB0666, it's all luck. the odds are not favorable, and if you get lucky enough, try to catch it asap. the only shiny i ever, and i mean ever, saw ran away. i was rather crushed. oh well, keep up the hunt. who knows, you may find a really good shiny one of these days.

~The Italian Stallion

phaedrus
24th March 2004, 03:09 PM
ACB0666, it's all luck. the odds are not favorable, and if you get lucky enough, try to catch it asap. the only shiny i ever, and i mean ever, saw ran away. i was rather crushed. oh well, keep up the hunt. who knows, you may find a really good shiny one of these days.

Heh. I guess I'm lucky....I have a shiny Mew from RBY and a shiny Nidoking....very lucky>?

phantomness
15th April 2004, 11:46 AM
Well, I have a different question that's also related to breeding. I have 2 crystal versions. in one version I bred an Eevee and got 32 eggs, but they were all male! (I was a girl). In the other version, I bred 6 eevee eggs, 4 female and 2 male. (I was a boy). Are you more likely to get female baby pokemon if you play as a male avatar in Crystal?

Thank god for RBY, I finally got a female Jolteon in my other crystal game... because since every Eevee I hatched was male...

Number1ChanseyFan
15th April 2004, 11:57 AM
Well, I have a different question that's also related to breeding. I have 2 crystal versions. in one version I bred an Eevee and got 32 eggs, but they were all male! (I was a girl). In the other version, I bred 6 eevee eggs, 4 female and 2 male. (I was a boy). Are you more likely to get female baby pokemon if you play as a male avatar in Crystal?

Thank god for RBY, I finally got a female Jolteon in my other crystal game... because since every Eevee I hatched was male...

No, your character's gender doesn't have any effect on a Pokémon's gender. A Pokémon's gender is decided by it's Attack DVs. (Deter Values.) Eevee has a gender ratio of 87.5% Male, (7 out of 8) and 12.5% Female. (1 out of 8) If an Eevee has an Attack DV of 0 or 1, then it will be female. If an Eevee has an Attack DV of 2-15, then it will be a male. So, the odds are always against getting a female Eevee, for every 8 Eevees you get, on average, 1 will be female. So, you basically just had bad luck in your one Crystal game as far as getting a female Eevee, and terrific luck in the other.

mew151
15th April 2004, 03:47 PM
Y'know, i have over 200 hours on my silver game.

I have not seen one single shiny.
Not even any shiny eggs.

Where are these shinys???

Charizard04621
15th April 2004, 04:37 PM

Not even any shiny eggs.

My brother has more hours than that and he's never seen a shiny before... As for me, the first time I got my Gold version I received a Shiny Blue Togepi from the guy that gives you the Egg (in the first few hours of my brand new game)... and never realized that it was shiny until much, much later. I also found a Golden Pidgey, Red Graveler, and Green Tentacool in the wild. Of course, my game time now approaches 900 hours, but that's mainly because of raising so many things to LV100 and hatching shiny eggs for Silver Charizard and Shiny Pikachu.

phantomness
15th April 2004, 05:33 PM
Intereting, and thank you!

Yep, the one Shiny I got in crystal was Cleffa from Daycare, until I got shiny ditto using the Red Gyarados.

bb88
17th April 2004, 12:59 PM

~The Italian Stallion
Same for me. The only shiny I ever saw was within my first couple minutes of the game, before I had pokeballs. I just remember seeing a "sparkling Ratatta" and wondering what was up. Only later did I realize that I had actually found something really rare :( Probably better I didn't know then, though, since I would've just been angrier.

Odd how I never found a shiny Pokemon, but I caught the PokeRus twice :rolleyes:

phantomness
17th April 2004, 07:55 PM
I have like nearly 1000 hours in my Crystal game but never got PokeRus. *sighs* I tried running into Yanma, but does that ever work?

Poryhedron
17th April 2004, 08:08 PM
Does what ever work? Yes, you can meet Yanma without getting a call from Arnie, they're just very very rare that way...but Yanma aren't any more likely to have Pokérus than any other wild pokémon.

Strider
17th April 2004, 11:07 PM

Not even any shiny eggs.

Shinies appear randomly, respectively. Search in any area you like, and hope. Of course, chances are extremely slim, but don't be discouraged if you really want a shiny. Just be prepared for the long haul.

mew151
18th April 2004, 01:18 AM
I'm a very imapatient person. I haven't even caught the legendary dogs yet.

I guess I'll come across one while im leveling one of these days.

phantomness
18th April 2004, 06:14 PM
Well, I always find Entei and Raikou in the grass in front of New Bark, or on the route btw Blackthorn and New Bark... every time that's where I catch the legendaries.

SupremeChampion
18th April 2004, 07:06 PM
hey, be happy, once you see then you get them in your pokédex. then, you can track the little sh... well you know. then, you can go back in forth between a town (walking) and a grassy area until they stop in your area and look for it. you will eventually find it when they're in your area, and try like heck to catch them. that's how i did it.

~The Italian Stallion

mew151
19th April 2004, 05:20 PM
Its not that I'm having trouble catching them. I just dont want to take the time to do it...

I happened to encounter Raikou yesterday. but he busted out of my Fast Ball. Hes been weakened down pretty far with False Swipe. Do Ultra Balls work?

Poryhedron
19th April 2004, 05:29 PM
Define "work". The only thing that catches the Legendary Beasts more than half the time it's thrown is the Master Ball. Ultra Balls are decent compared to other choices; I have never found Fast Balls impressive against them for some reason.

Number1ChanseyFan
19th April 2004, 07:10 PM
Define "work". The only thing that catches the Legendary Beasts more than half the time it's thrown is the Master Ball. Ultra Balls are decent compared to other choices; I have never found Fast Balls impressive against them for some reason.

Actually, Fast Balls don't work good on Entei/Raikou/Suicune. The only Pokémon that the Fast Balls are more effective at catching are Magnemite, Grimer, and Tangela. Against those Pokémon, Fast Balls are 4 times as effective as a PokeBall. Against any other Pokémon, Fast Balls have the same effectiveness as a PokéBall.