PDA

View Full Version : »Full Moon«

PancaKe
17th March 2004, 12:07 AM
I know I've been gone for ages. School sort of drowned me and I didnt have any time left. But now I am more organized (and getting less sleep). Ive found room for school, work, social life AND tpm. And as Im now back, I may as well repost from the beginning. From Chapter Twelve, i think, there's new chapters, okay? But for now, let us enjoy...

~Mist

Chapter One

“Honey, I have to leave for an emergency at work.” A woman, tall, with a slim figure, turned at hearing this news. Her eyes soon lost that sapphire sparkle, and showed evident signs that she was experiencing a mixture of feelings.

“Is everything all right?” she asked. She stood up fully, picking up a small child in her arms and brushing loose bits of carrot colored hair out of her eyes. “Why are you being called into work so late at night? It’s-”

“Almost nine, I know,” her husband answered. “But Emily, Sandra Hellensberg called and by the sounds of it, it sounded urgent.”

“What could be so urgent working in the Anti-Werewolf League?” Emily McGregor questioned. She sighed, walking over to the kitchen and picking up a small bottle of juice and handing it to the child down by her legs. “Can’t somebody else fill in for you Kyle?”

“I don’t know, but Sandra did mention something about a sighting,” Kyle answered, trying to sort through his briefcase and talk at the same time. He hurriedly picked up items from his desk and shoved them in, before looking at them quizzically and taking them out again.

Emily walked over to the desk and opened one of its many draws and reached right in to the bottom, and pulled out what looked to be a sniper rifle. Handing it to Kyle she kissed him on the cheek. “Its not loaded with bullets, but with tranquilizer darts,” she told him. “But please be careful Kyle, if something happens to you then there’s only me and Sally-Anne left.” She looked up into his dark green eyes pleadingly. “I worry about you,” she told him.

Kyle put the sniper into his suitcase and locked it. “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. And if you do happen to be called in, bring Sally-Anne with you. If you are called, everything will probably be fine anyway.” Kyle grinned a cheeky grin at her and kissed her, before picking up the suitcase. “I’ll see you later. Bye-bye little Sal, Daddy will be home later tonight.” He ruffled the thick reddish hair on top of Sally-Anne’s head.

“Don’t call her Sal, her name is Sally-Anne,” Emily told him, shaking her head as he turned and exited out the door. Emily walked over and watched him out the window walking down the dark street before blending into the dark shadows. “Right missy,” Emily smiled, picking up Sally-Anne while she suckled on her bottle still, the juice slowly disappearing into her tiny mouth. She carried her across the narrow hallway and into her bedroom, decorated in a style, which you could call cute for a four year old.

The room was loosely based on the color scheme pink and white. The only visible non pink and white thing in the room happened to be the clothes that Emily was wearing, baggy tan pants and a grass green hooded sweatshirt with words in yellow block letters across the chest reading “Warroga National Running Club”, Warroga being the country in which they resided.

Warroga had only become settled in the last fifty to a hundred years, but was still a very empty country despite the six million people living and immigrating into the country. It had very little land, and what land that wasn’t settled and civilized with cities and towns was covered in a mass stretch of forests and meadows. In the area that the McGregor’s lived, most of the forest had been cleared away for the installation of a city where people lived almost on top of each other. The houses weren’t in one big row and all together like the English style terraced houses, but were apart and each had a small backyard. But Quentside wasn’t the nicest of areas to live in, it was a big area for those who were immigrating out of either third world countries, or with little money to live, and despite the fact that both Emily and Kyle McGregor had high positions in the Anti-Werewolf League, they still couldn’t afford to raise Sally-Anne and move to a better area.

At least they didn’t have to live in the Mount District. Emily always put it like that when houses in neighboring streets were robbed, or gangs had attacked somebody and left them to bleed for hours until morning, or syringes were left pointing upwards in bus station seats. Somehow, the Mount District seemed to top this bad reputation with a worse one, involving muggings in broad daylight, drug addicts running around and shooting other innocent people with syringes, nobody bothering to work or pay any attention to the law, and people living on the streets once they were kicked out of their rental properties with three months of overdue notices.

Emily had always dreamed of one day getting a transfer at the Anti-Werewolf League to a nice place, maybe in the Northern Residence. This was the area in the North and Northeast, which contained the suburbs packed with mansions each with a swimming pool, two tennis courts and a butler or maid. It was in this area that contained the capital of Warroga, a clean street city by the name of Norton, named after the last son of Jamison Warroga, the discoverer of Warroga.

That was many years ago, and now Warroga had a different threat to its nation. Twenty years ago, a group of young business majors at a university were camping out in the woods when they awoke and discovered that a wolf had decided to join them in their tent. The group had screamed, but quickly realized that this wasn’t an ordinary wolf, the teeth seemed smaller yet more pointed, the tail was longer and much more bushier, and the general build was more delicate than a regular wolf, and to top it all off the eyes were bright blue.

That group had feared being attacked and sat cowering at the back of the tent until sunrise, when the wolf turned and bounded. Carefully, they peeked out the tent flaps after the wolf and watched as the wolf ran and watched the wolf slowly changing with every bounding leap it took. The body became slimmer, the fur disappearing in a quick motion, as if it were shrinking back into the skin, and clothes reappearing. The tail shriveled up, the paws changed from paws to hands and shoes, and before changing the course of its mad dash into a thick clump of trees, the group watching timidly from the tent saw in the place of a running wolf was a running boy, of about nineteen.

They had realized that werewolves were not just myths but real creatures, and real threats. The Anti-Werewolf League started a year later. Its aim; to remove the werewolf population in the hope for a safer country. Emily and Kyle McGregor held very high positions in the Board of Directors for the Quentside Division, under the ruling of the current President of the AWL for all of Warroga, Sandra Hellensberg.

Emily sunk into these thoughts as she put Sally-Anne to bed, thinking about how her life was now devoted to more than just the AWL, but to her daughter as well. And for the safety of her daughter, she would have to work harder at the AWL.

She jumped as the phone gave a shrill ring, and got up from Sally-Anne’s bed to go into the next room to answer it. “Hello?” she said into the receiver, looking around the room and out the windows. She felt uneasy answering the phone late at night all alone, especially after seeing a few horror movies.

“It’s me Emily,” Kyle replied, his voice shaking with uncontrollable excitement. “Look, there was a sighting, and between me, Michael Kent, Christopher Laskey, Wendy Esteen and Sandra Hellensberg, we managed to capture a werewolf.”

“Really? That’s great!” Emily cheered, her spirits soaring. “So are you going to test it and do research?”

“Not us personally, but they’re sending it to the Kilbourne AWL. There’s much more advanced facilities at that division. But I’m just so excited!”

“Me too! Can you imagine what this means?”

“Yes of course I can. Oh, and also, there’s a celebratory dinner tomorrow night at the nicest place in town, the Quentside Quay. It’s supposed to have a really high reputation, considering the area its in.”

“Where is it?”

“Dragoness High Street.”

“I don’t think that’s safe, going into the main street of town at night.”

“We’ll be perfectly safe, don’t worry about a thing. I’m coming home soon so don’t wait up okay?”

“Okay, bye.”

Emily sighed as she put down the phone. As much as she wanted to have a celebratory dinner she knew it would be dangerous just thinking of going to Dragoness High Street at dusk, let alone night going in at night. She shuddered at the thoughts of recent headlines. Night attack on Dragoness, Guy found guilty of mutilation, All twenty shops empty next morning. She didn’t want to think about what went unreported.

A howl outside, floating into the silent room, caused Emily’s thoughts to shift from unsolvable murders to the joy that she had shared only moments before. For the first time in history the AWL had a captured werewolf, which would help them in finding other werewolves and finally ridding Warroga from all werewolves. She stirred the cup of cocoa she had been absentmindedly been making and sat down on the lounge, taking a sip.

A world without werewolves, she liked the thought of that.

“Are you ready honey?” Kyle called from the living room, holding a dressed up Sally-Anne on his knee, trying to desperately do up her little pink denim jacket. He smoothed back his wild hair with his hand, in a hopeless attempt to keep it lying flat. His wife walked out the room, not dressed up as you would if you were going to be attending a business dinner, but to give the impression that she was just an ordinary person going to an ordinary night out in Quentside, an ordinary person who shouldn’t need to give the impression that she was wealthy, or had a reasonable amount of money. An ordinary person trying to give off the impression that she wasn’t to be targeted.

“I’m ready,” she replied, taking Sally-Anne off his knee and grabbing her bottle of juice from the kitchen bench. She stopped in the front mirror to fix up her hair. Kyle rolled his eyes as he pushed her out the front door and onto the porch.

“You’re not supposed to be dressing up, and it still takes you at least half an hour to get ready,” he commented jokingly. Emily rolled her eyes and buckled Sally-Anne into her booster seat.

“Mummy!” Sally-Anne cried, pulling on Emily’s hair. She squealed with excitement and waved her arms around. Emily laughed at how cute her daughter was and uncurled the small fingers that gripped tightly around her hair before shutting the door and getting in herself.

Kyle had already started up the car and was drumming his fingers in beat with the song on the radio while waiting for Emily to get buckled up. The heavy riffs blasted out from the speakers as he nodded his head to every smash of the drum. “Turn that music down,” Emily told him, before sighing and doing it herself. “Honestly, with all this noise I’m not sure that Sally-Anne will grow up knowing what real music is.”

“You mean that stuff that sounds like a hundred cats yowling at once?” Kyle grinned as he backed the car out of the drive and began to head down their street for the main town.

“It’s called Mozart,” Emily snapped, annoyed at the rude accusation placed on her favorite music. “And it’s not yowling either. It’s classical orchestra.”

“Yeah its classic all right,” Kyle scoffed. He cast a sideways glance while driving at his wife, whose quick temper had flared up and lead her to keeping her mouth shut but sitting quietly with the look of somebody biting into a sour lemon upon her face. “Look, I’m sorry that I offended your music, but you offended mine first.”

“You are so immature sometimes, do you realize that?” Emily scorned, before turning and looking out the window. The car was quiet for about a moment, the tension so thick you could cut it with a knife and serve it in between two slices of bread.

“Mummy and Daddy don’t fight.” The car halted to a stop at red lights and both Kyle and Emily turned around to look at Sally-Anne. “Don’t be mean. Be friends.”

“Wow,” Emily said quietly as the car started once again. “I didn’t realize we were having that effect on her.”

“So do you accept my apology?” Kyle asked her.

“Yes,” Emily grinned. “But it doesn’t sound like cats yowling.” She stayed quiet for the rest of the car journey, angry and sulking at Kyle’s accusation. She had no idea that her daughter had a mind as clever as hers; she had no idea that what she said and did had an effect on her at all. “Sally-Anne? I’m sorry Daddy and I were fighting.”

“Fighting is bad,” Sally-Anne nodded from the back.

“She talks a lot for a three year old,” Kyle commented, grinning. He drove around the block once more, trying to find a parking spot near to Quentside Quay.

“Like you!” Sally-Anne squealed to Kyle. Emily laughed, and Kyle, who tried not to find that funny, couldn’t suppress the wide grin it put on his face.

“She’s really smart you know,” Emily told him.

“Oh, shut up,” Kyle snapped, but the grin on his face clearly told everybody who looked that he wasn’t mad at all, he was just pretending.

“Can you find a parking spot?” Emily asked as they circled the block for a third time. “It’s getting close to dinner time.”

“Sal hungry!” Sally-Anne cried from the back.

This time neither of her parents paid attention to that cry of protest from the backseat. “There’s one!” Kyle quickly swerved the car into the freshly made spot as another car, this time a rust bucket road unworthy car, drove out, most probably stolen.

They stepped out the car and holding Sally-Anne’s hand, they made their way around the block. “It’s almost seven,” Emily panicked, looking at her watch. “We can’t be late, especially since one of the executives from Kilbourne division is supposed to be there!” She began to fasten her pace, but Kyle merely grinned at her frantic attempt to be there quickly. “What are you doing Kyle?!” she yelled at him furiously, stamping her foot and glaring at him. “We’re going to be late!”

“No we’re not,” Kyle grinned, thoroughly irritating Emily. “I know a shortcut,” and he took her hand and led both her and Sally-Anne down an alleyway and emerged at the other side. Down the street from where they stood was a brightly lit formal eatery, with thick black security bars surrounding the windows and glass door. They opened the glass door and stepped inside, feeling the warmth of hot food, candles and heating snuggle them and defrost their frozen faces and hands.

“Name please,” a waiter in a suit questioned, looking over the reservation book, searching for a name, which he did not yet know.

“McGregor, Kyle, Emily and Sally-Anne,” Kyle answered him. “We’re here for the AWL party.”

“Party!” Sally-Anne cried, and began to jump up and down. Emily bent down to calm her hyped up daughter.

“This way sir.” They followed the waiter, Sally-Anne still bouncing, to another room where a long table with about fifteen or so chairs was set for them. Sandra Hellensberg was at one end, seated with Michael Kent and his wife Angelica Kent, and down from them sat Christopher Laskey with his son Jamie, and on the opposite side of the table sat Wendy Esteen and Randal Esteen. Emily and Kyle took their places across from Wendy and Randal and began chatting away about such subjects, which did not interest Sally-Anne to hear about.

She got down from her seat and crawled under the table to join Jamie Laskey who had already made himself comfortable down there with a handful of bread sticks. “Want one?” he offered handing them out. Jamie Laskey was two years older than Sal; he was five whereas she was only three. Even so, Sal would still be the bossier out of the two.

“Mine,” she grinned, taking one and eating it.

“Sally-Anne you look beautiful,” Jamie told her as she ate her breadstick. The smile on Sal’s face looked as if it was wiped off with a cloth and replaced by a menacing frown.

“Don’t call me Sally-Anne!” she yelled, and going for him with his fist. “Sal!”

The table shook from above and in an instant reaction, both Emily and Christopher Laskey dived down and picked up their children. “Sally-Anne what are you doing?” Emily demanded.

“Jamie Laskey what did you do to Sally-Anne?” Christopher Laskey questioned.

“He called me Sally-Anne!” Sal cried, tears of frustration appearing in her eyes.

“She got angry and yelled at me when I said Sally-Anne you look beautiful,” Jamie told his father, his large eyes showing signs of confusion and fear.

“He called me Sally-Anne!” she cried, louder this time.

“Excuse me for a minute,” Emily apologized, before picking up Sal and carrying her to the bathroom. She sat her down on the vanity next to the sink and looked at her hard in the face. Sal stopped her crying, realizing that her mother wasn’t the usual cheery person she was. “Sally-Anne McGregor I am ashamed! You cannot yell like that especially when we’re at a dinner party! Do you understand? I don’t want to hear another word from you all evening! Don’t yell at all again okay? Your name is Sally-Anne and you cannot go changing it and yelling at other people for calling you your real name! You are Sally-Anne McGregor, and a dignified McGregor doesn’t go around embarrassing people at dinner parties!”

Sal sat there, taking all this in. Her mother, the one who she thought would always love her, seemed to be yelling at her, just for being herself. Sal didn’t want to be called by her full name, she didn’t want her room pink and white, she didn’t want to have her hair in pigtails and her clothes all pink and white and looking cute. She just wanted to be who she was, drop the name Sally-Anne and be known as Sal by everybody.

Sal made no response to this outburst of her mothers temper, and allowed her mother to carry her back, as much as she didn’t want to go. Her mother sat her down, and with a last sharp look at her, turned back to the conversation.

More and more people came to be seated, many whom Sal did not know, but her parents knew very well. Emily and Kyle spent the rest of the evening greeting people such as Pauline Notting and her boyfriend Todd Hanson, career focused Olivia Bell and others. The waiter reappeared and orders were taken from everyone.

“And for Sally-Anne I’ll order-” Emily began.

Familiar rage rose up in Sal. She was still furious about what her mother had said to her in the bathroom and decided that nobody was going to stand over her anymore, even if it meant she was going to be rude. “A hotdog and chips,” Sal finished.

Emily glared at Sal while others around her laughed. “I can bring a hot dog for your daughter if that is what you want,” the waiter offered.

“Thank you very much but she will be having the kids size beef and vegetables please,” Emily forced herself to grin and gave the order to the waiter who shrugged and walked off, muttering something that sounded like, “That’s what leads them to rebellion.”

Sal frowned and sulked quietly, not daring to open her mouth again. Silence swept the table as Sandra Hellensberg stood up. Emily and Kyle looked over in awe also. “Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce to you the Head of the Kilbourne Division, Lucidia Balloise,” Sandra spoke.

Lucidia smiled, her dark red lips moving upwards at the corners. Little Sal looked up and instantly a wave of bad feeling washed over her about Lucidia. She didn’t know whether it was the orange color of her hair that was darker and a more business like shade of Sal’s hair, or the icy blue eyes that seemed to be able to shoot shards of ice across at people. Perhaps it was the way she stood there, tall and in a navy pinstripe business suit, jacket and skirt with a white blouse and dark brown stockings. Whatever it was about her, Sal had an odd feeling.

“Hello, I’m sorry I’m so late,” Lucidia began, beaming a toothy smile at everyone before taking a seat. All eyes were still upon her when she continued talking. “There was some important business at the Kilbourne Division that I had to attend to. I’m not sure if they can handle it on their own so if I have to leave tonight then I’m very sorry in advance. Waiter!” She raised her hand and flagged down a waiter and gave him her order before turning back to the table. “So shall we discuss this business now?”

“Well we’ve sent the werewolf across,” Sandra told Lucidia. “But I won’t be coming down to Kilbourne Division for quite a while yet, I’ve decided to stay up here for a while until the next full moon at least. Kyle has volunteered to do a watch for more werewolf activity and I would like to be around for that.”

Lucidia scowled but then quickly smiled once more. “Well that’s okay then, I’m sure we can handle the progress of a werewolf for a month at least, I’m sure that’s very well. Do you mind if I make my way back up here in the next full moon or the day after depending on the progress at the Kilbourne Division to see what findings you have made?”

“Certainly,” Sandra nodded. “Oh good, food.” The waiter set down the meals in front of everybody and wishing them a ‘Bon Appetite’ left them to eat. Sal poked her tongue out at the food in front of her, refusing to eat. Conversation carried on around her, even though she took no notice of what the adults were saying. Sal was very mature for her age in some ways, and in other ways you wouldn’t suspect she had the slightest bit of maturity in her. She could understand what the adults were planning to do, she knew that her father and mother would be the only two members of the AWL to go out on the werewolf stakeout, and she knew that Lucidia wanted to come and view a capture.

She really didn’t care about any of this. She was too young to understand, so thought her mother. Sal knew that the werewolves were ordinary people with a disease and they shouldn’t be killed as if they were going to hurt others. She didn’t dare share this point of view with either her mother or father, just thinking about the response gave her nightmares that sent chills down her spine and woke her up in a cold sweat.

“Ah.” Lucidia suddenly gasped as she glanced down at her watch. She looked up at the table, where everybody had stopped at her sudden cry to watch her. Emily’s fork was half way to her mouth when she stopped. “I’m dreadfully sorry but I’m going to have to go, I have to be back at the Kilbourne Division by eleven thirty at the latest and it’s already getting to be late. Please do excuse me. I will be seeing you all shortly though, when I return to keep on standby with Sandra for the next werewolf stakeout. Thank you for this lovely dinner.” She stood up and picking up the small leather handbag which Sal had not seen her carry in, she pulled out a hundred dollar bill and placed it on the table. “This should cover more than my share of the bill,” she smiled. “Good night to you all,” and on these departing words, she exited the building.

The tranquilizer gun that captured the first werewolf for the AWL lay on the desk, waiting to be picked up and used tonight. Or so Kyle hoped anyway, as he headed out the kitchen and into the room in which the desk resided, picking up the tranquilizer gun and a packet of tranquilizer darts and shoving them into his backpack. Emily handed him a hot thermos flask with coffee and a thermal mug, before kissing him on the cheek. He snatched the walkie talkie, and his mobile phone from a draw in the desk and placed them into his bag also, before returning the kiss.

“You’ll be all right won’t you?” Emily asked.

“I’ll be fine, you should worry more about Sally-Anne,” Kyle smiled back. “Are you going to bring Sally-Anne to see me and say goodbye at shift change?” Emily nodded. “Well rug her up then, it looks as if it’s going to be a chilly night.”

Sal wandered into the room, now a month older and wiser. She knew the hunt was on tonight; her mother and father would always discuss it in front of her, unaware that she could hear and understand them. “Bye Daddy,” she said to Kyle, hugging his leg.

“Bye Sal,” Kyle grinned, ruffling her hair. She beamed up at him; her father was always her favorite, especially seeing that he called her Sal instead of her given name.

Emily glared at him. “Her name is Sally-Anne,” she growled through clenched teeth, trying to suppress her anger. Sal had learnt about her mothers temper as quickly as Kyle had, and had learnt that it was no use crying in front of her, crying in her mothers eyes was a sign of a sissy.

“Bye Sally-Anne,” Kyle corrected himself, kneeling down to hug her. “Sal,” he whispered playfully in her ear. She giggled.

Hours uneventfully passed, but Sal held a glowing inside of her, one that whenever her mother lost her temper (which was often) she would be able to let it slide off her back like water off a ducks back. It felt good to know that her father disagreed with her mother as much as she did about certain topics.

“Mummy, can I go to bed now?” Sal asked, yawning. Her mother had wanted her to stay up late so that she could take her down on the shift swap, but aside from being tired, Sal wanted to annoy her.

“No you have to stay up,” Emily answered. She glanced at the clock and got off the lounge. “Come on, put your jacket on, we’re going to go see your father.”

“Yay!” Sal cried, leaping off the lounge, then cast a look at her mother, who was fuming. “Sorry Mummy, inside voice.”

Still a firm scowl on her face, Emily nodded. “Put your jacket on now,” she managed to say calmly, fighting her urge to explode with anger. Sal followed this instruction, and they headed out the front door, with a fresh flask of hot coffee in Emily’s other hand. Walking down through the streets of Quentside Heights spooked Emily, and her tight grip on her daughter’s hand was beginning to affect the blood circulation.

They had taken a detour, instead of taking the main road, which lead around the whole city. Emily lead Sal through the side streets and the alleyways for the quickest way to get across to the other side of the city where her husband was. The moonlight their only light through some parts, scattering shadows wildly.

Suddenly Sal felt herself being yanked back, and she realized that her mother had stopped short. She looked up to Emily’s face, and saw the expression upon it. Emily was stricken with horror, her mouth open slightly, eyes wide and pupils dilated. She looked like a ghost, bathed in the moonlight, with her skin so pale. Sal turned to look at what made her mother so scared.

It lay in the middle of the pathway in a shallow pool of blood. Bite marks were all over it, but not human ones. Human bite marks didn’t rip chunks of skin out of the arms and legs and chest. By the looks of it, it had come as a surprise; the eyes were wide open, but moved not at all. Sal felt her insides tearing apart as she stared at her father.

Kyle lay dead on the sidewalk. On top of him sat a bloodstained werewolf, its lips up, teeth bared, growling. Emily took a step back, dropping the flask of coffee she had been holding. Sal fought the urge to cry and scream and run towards the werewolf at once. Emily pulled her daughter harshly back and behind her. Sal had no objections in following her mothers orders this time.

“What have you done? You FILTH! This is why we do what we do,” Emily announced, trying to be brave yet her voice quivered as she spoke. “You’re nothing but a useless freak. A freak of nature, a danger to society. You’re the reason, this” (clearly indicating her dead husband) “is the reason that the Anti-Werewolf League of Warroga was set up!”

The werewolf got up and stepped off Kyle, towards Emily and Sal. Emily quickly moved backwards. “You’re not brave are you,” the werewolf uttered, in a sleek voice that seemed to go totally against the harsh impression. The voice tingled the hairs on the back of Sal’s neck as she watched from behind Emily’s shaking knees. “I can see you knees shaking.” The werewolf shook her head. “Maybe next time you want to go locking up people you should lock those up with hearts of coal, just like yours.” Her voice had dropped to a hiss now, and a low snarling was coming from the pits of the werewolf’s throat.

“Get… Get away from me,” Emily stammered her order as the werewolf advanced. She stepped back before turning and bolting, picking up Sal and running as fast as she could. The werewolf jumped on her back, tackling both her and Sal, and horrified, Sal got up and tried to pull her mother out of the werewolf’s jaws. “Sal, leave me, go and run!” Emily shouted. Sal turned and ran as fast as her short legs would carry her. Tired, she stopped and glanced around the corner she had just run around. The werewolf had finished with her mother and was advancing after Sal.

If Sal hadn’t been overcome by her instinct, she would have wet her pants. Instead she turned and ran as fast as she could the other way. With a bounding leap the werewolf appeared in front of her. Sal turned to run the other way, and came face to face with the werewolf again. “Are you…” she trailed off in a timid voice.

“No I’m not going to kill you,” the werewolf simply answered her question. With a smile the werewolf continued. “You don’t deserve to die. You weren’t the one who put Nade in a cage and sent him off for testing. You had nothing to do with it. But, I do think that it would be a danger to the werewolves of Warroga if I let you just wander free.”

Sal stared at her, her face blank. The werewolf in front of her grinned, and snapped its teeth together. Sal closed her eyes and held out her arm.

mistysakura
17th March 2004, 12:48 AM
I liked the original last line better. "Arm or leg?" it was, if I remember correctly. That was a nice "impact line", unlike this last line. Um... skimmed through the rest, because I couldn't be bothered -- I've got enough to catch up on in other fics already.

Ahh, why bother being rational? YAY, IT'S BACK!!! :D

mr_pikachu
19th March 2004, 02:09 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with mistysakura about the last line. But who am I to complain? One of the best fics on TPM has been reincarnated once more! Shame you had to start from the beginning again, though. Ah, well. You'll get more readers that way, anyway. Thanks for coming back; we all missed you! :D

PancaKe
21st March 2004, 04:30 AM
^^;; thanks guys. I'm still busy as ever but I find time to post.. .Chapter two!!!

I've kinda never really liked this chapter, but its important so that they actually know Sal a bit better. Bleh ^^;;

~Mist

Chapter Two

Many years passed since that night where Sal lost both her parents and her pure humanity. She was now a werewolf and had kept it a secret for many years. Only one other person knew, but you really couldn’t call this creature a person. Being a werewolf Sal could share her secret with another wolf, and this she did with a wolf named Fury. Fury wasn’t an average wolf either; she had a sarcastic attitude most of the time, and somehow knew the answer to every question as if it was something as simple as two plus two. Sal couldn’t understand how Fury was able to talk, but she knew that it was something that other people shouldn’t know about too soon.

Sal was now twelve, reaching the age of thirteen very shortly, and she had certainly grown from the short cute four year old she once was. Cute was a word that could not be uttered in the same sentence as Sally-Anne McGregor, and if she heard it said, she would be twice as angry than if she just heard Sally-Anne McGregor mentioned. She still hated to be called by her full name, and she had also picked up her mothers fierce temper, and when she was disagreed with it was not a pretty sight. Only one person in the whole orphanage knew how to handle Sal, even though being with Sal was like spending time with a ticking bomb.

This one person was Ashley Lien, trusted friend of Sal and fellow orphan. Ashley Lien had been with her father, moving from a Chinese town to Warroga, when her father had been killed. They had only been in the country less than a month when he was killed in a car accident. Ashley Lien had gone to the Quentside Orphanage where she had met and befriended Sal. Nobody knew how she had done it either; Sal’s temper was one to be wary of. Especially when she was in a bad mood.

Sal stormed up the stairs of the smashed and wrecked building. The windows, which were barred with thick iron bars, had their panes smashed, and the walls were forever being repaired of holes that were kicked in by the orphans or by Sal in a bad mood. Her orange hair was cut short and still got into her eyes; she cut her own hair and as a result didn’t care at all how it looked. The emerald eyes she had glared out to people who dared to look at her and wonder why she was so angry, even though they knew it was probably another fight that she couldn’t win.

Opening the door to her dorm at the orphanage with such force that it hit the wall and bounced shut behind her. She flopped down on her bed, the springs groaning under years of having her jump and flop on them, and she screamed to herself. Ashley opened the door and walked in after her, her black hair tied up behind her, looking too neat for a place like Quentside, and sat down on the bed next to Ashley. “What happened this time?” she asked patiently, knowing that with Sal’s rage meter on high she would need all the patience she had.

“That Joanna Gordon,” Sal growled, looking over at Ashley. “She was going on, saying stuff about how we’re all going to be sent away and stuff and how I’m probably going to be sent out of the country and how I’ll probably end up in some country doing time by next year…” She punched the pillow with rage.

“Um…” Ashley bit her lip, not knowing where to begin. “That’s true… not the part about you being deported,” she corrected hurriedly, “but the bit about we’re all going to be sent away. The orphanage is being shut down.”

Sal’s temper suddenly stopped, confusion overwhelming the fires of anger. “What? No way,” she said. “The orphanage? Being closed down? And what the hell are we supposed to do?”

“Calm down, don’t get angry at me,” Ashley told her. “What’s happening is that we’re supposed to be going to different places. Various families have opted to adopt some of us, and others are opting to foster us through foster programs. There are a few schools that have also chosen to take in a few orphans.”

“So what’s happening to me?” Sal questioned. “What about you?” Hidden in between those two questions was the real question, what’s going to happen to us, are we going to be split up?

“I think there are spots left at a school called Kilbourne Shorelines High,” Ashley said, racking her brains to remember. “Either there or Mount Karper Boarding School.”

Sal pulled a face at the mention of Mount Karper, compared to the things that went on in Mount Karper, Quentside was a walk in the park. “Can we choose where we go?” Sal asked Ashley. “Otherwise knowing that bloody” she said a string of swear words before continuing with regular language “Hughes probably will put me into Mount Karper straight away.”

“There are representatives coming to interview people who want to make it into that school or family,” Ashley explained. “Mr Hughes asked me to explain it too you seeing you would be the one to most likely bite his head off for asking questions.”

Sal digested this and nodded. “When are the interviews?”

“They’re being held for Kilbourne Shorelines High in a few days, Thursday afternoon,” Ashley replied. “Unless you want to choose another place. But there are only two spots for Kilbourne Shorelines High, so even if you make it in chances are extremely slim of both of us being chosen to enter.”

Sal glared at Ashley. “You know what,” she began. “Even if they choose you and not me, you have to go for it. I can handle life fine, with or without you.”

Ashley could read right through these words, and as much as Sal hated to admit it, Ashley knew how to decipher these words to their true meaning: If you get chosen go for it because I want you to be happy. Sal rarely spoke her emotions, and when she did she said it in such a way that if you weren’t trained at deciphering as Ashley was, you would think she was just selfish and stubborn.

“Same here Sal,” Ashley grinned, letting Sal know that she understood. Sal scowled, then gave the slightest grin, hardly recognizable for a small smile. She punched Ashley lightly on the shoulder then lay back down on the bed, hardly remembering when she had sat up. Ashley left to get dinner for the both of them, giving Sal at least twenty minutes on her own.

She ducked down the stairs once again, this time without a ferocious scowl on her face, and out the front doors of the orphanage. Running down a few streets and around a few corners, she came to face one of Warroga’s many forests. “Thought I’d be seeing you, has Ashley gone to get your dinner?”

Sal turned and faced the wolf behind her. “You already know the answer,” she replied. “Caught anything Fury?”

Fury the wolf shook her big furry head, the fur swinging from side to side. “Did you hear about the orphanage closing down?” she asked Sal. “I do assume that’s why you’re here, to get advice once again.”

Sal pulled a face of both anger and annoyance at Fury. “The pack is actually mainly from Kilbourne aren’t they?”

“And what makes you say that?” Fury asked, mockingly confused, a sly grin upon that wolfish face.

“You bloody well know why I’m asking this so are you going to answer or not?” Sal yelled, furious. Her short fuse had once again run out. “I’ve got to be back in about five minutes so will you just freaking answer me!”

“You do realize that by screaming you are giving us extra time,” Fury sarcastically advised Sal. “Yes there are pack members down in Kilbourne, that’s where I was before going there, but why do you care anyway? It’s been ages since you actually went to the pack. Most of the time you spend on full moon is running around with me, avoiding human contact.”

Sal contemplated this. True, it had been years since she left the pack, so why was she so worried about pack being down in Kilbourne. Perhaps she did not want to be alone; maybe she was scared of being the only one there. The only werewolf, she corrected herself.

“You’d stay here anyway,” she announced after a moments thought on how to word the question. Sal was very skilled at hiding emotions, it came in useful at times also. There was a gift she had where she could mould the words around her question to make her sound selfish and uncaring, even though deep down (not that she’d let anybody else aside from Fury and Ashley know) she did have feelings and she did care a lot.

“You go, I go,” Fury grinned in a wolfish way. “Better get back before she comes looking for you, otherwise you’re about to have the best day of your life.” Sarcasm had crept back into Fury’s vocabulary, and she knew as well as Sal that if she had to explain everything to Ashley it would be very difficult, even frightening.

“You will be called into this office one by one, in alphabetical order,” one of the two representatives from Kilbourne Shorelines High explained. “Alexia, Jason.” Jason Alexia got up and went into the office and came out five minutes later, looking even more nervous than he had before he went in. Sal and Ashley sat next to each other, neither talking, yet their minds racing. Neither were prepared, neither of the two knew what lay in that room waiting for them, although as Ashley was very logical and levelheaded she had a good idea it would just be an interview.

She stood up and walked into the office before her name was called, Ashley was that nervous, yet she had to walk back out and wait for another ten minutes as she walked in, pushing in front of two people who were waiting to do an interview. It seemed that Kilbourne was a highly popular place for the people to go, practically half the people who stayed at the orphanage wanted to get in, even though there was only enough room for two.

“Lien, Ashley,” the representative called, a smile upon her face. “Its your turn now.” Flushing, Ashley got up and walked into the room, the door swinging shut behind her. Sal watched the door with interest, not saying anything to any of the other waiting people. Ashley walked out of the room five minutes later, and she seemed less nervous now that the interview was over. Sal began to ask how it was when the representative, calling her name, interrupted her. “McGregor, Sally-Anne.”

“I’m talking, you can shut it for a second,” Sal snapped rudely, shocking the representative.

“Sal, go!” Ashley hissed. “You might miss your chance.”

Glaring, Sal got up and walked past the representative, saying to her “And by the way, my name is Sal”, before entering the room and slamming the door shut so it banged quite loudly, startling the people who hadn’t been watching Sal’s latest scene.

“I guess you’re Sally-Anne then,” the second representative grinned, her chocolate eyes sparkling. Sal turned and glared. “Relax, I’m only joking,” she continued. “I know you like to be called Sal. I’ll put that on the interview form if you like.”

Sal surveyed this laughing, joking woman carefully. Since when did people joke with you when you were in a bad mood, and had just bad mouthed their work partner? But this woman seemed different; perhaps it was those eyes that looked as if they were made of fresh dairy milk chocolate, or maybe it was the way her dark red hair seemed to shine like diamonds if the light hit it right. Maybe the smile was what did it, Sal rarely saw others aside from Fury and Ashley smile at her, and they never really smiled as broadly as this person did. Maybe her mouth was bigger.

“You can have a seat you know, I’m not going to attack you or anything,” the woman told her. Sal cautiously took a seat, still keeping her mouth shut for once, and her defensive guard right up. “Well Sal, I’m Jacquelyn Taylor, but I’m known as Jackie Taylor. But I don’t bite everyone’s heads off if they call me Jacquelyn either. Now why exactly do you want to come to Kilbourne High?”

Sal opened her mouth to speak, but mind blank, closed it again. Jackie rested back in her chair after writing in messy scrawled handwriting ‘Sal’ on the form in front of her. “Um…”

“Oh and also, there’s a five minute interview time,” Jackie interrupted before Sal could utter a word. “So if you do think of anything to say, you’d better say it quickly.”

“Why cant you just shut your mouth?” Sal asked, almost yelling. “You think you’re so cocky don’t you, just because you’ve got the idea that you’re better than us, because you work for some rich snobby school down south in the upper class area! The only reason I put my name down was because of Ashley and her going.”

Sal was once again, interrupted by the cocky Jackie, who seemed unbothered by this sudden verbal attack. “You’re wrong on a few things there, Sal,” she began. “I’m not better than you even if I am the principal of Kilbourne High, and the south isn’t upper class. Anyway, I’m not actually from South Warroga, I’m not from Kilbourne or Topaz Central even though that’s where I live during holidays with my sister. I’m from the Mountain District.” Sal’s mouth dropped open in shock. “You’ve heard of Mount Karper I presume.” If possible, Sal’s jaw dropped lower than it already had. On the other hand, Jackie’s grin continued to broaden. “So is there anything you need to tell me about why you wanted to come to Kilbourne High? Aside from the fact that you couldn’t let Ashley come alone, which is a very noble thing to do. What if something happened for instance, and you were coming all by yourself. Now its not up to me to decide who comes or not, I get a small say in it with the other teachers. But for fun, let’s say you came and Ashley didn’t. Would you be happy or not?”

“No I wouldn’t be happy,” Sal replied, loudly and angrily. “Far out who would,” she swore loudly and continued talking “want to leave their” she swore once again “best friend and go halfway across the country to some stupid boarding school to live for the rest of their lives.”

“Hey, even if you are selected its up to you if you want to go or not,” Jackie shrugged. “But otherwise you’ll probably be tipped on the streets, either here or in Mount Karper, and if I were you I’d choose the safer option of boarding school.”

“So do I still have to come up with these stupid reasons on why I want to go or do I have to lie?” Sal asked.

“You’ve asked a reasonable question and honestly, you’re a pretty good person,” Jackie judged. Sal’s shock a few moments ago upon hearing that Jackie was from Mount Karper was nothing compared to the state of shock she was in now. “You’re a very honest person even if you twist your words so it seems you’re not. I used to know someone who was like you, you remind me very much of them. Angry little person they were but deep down, they were nice. Of course we dug really deep down, they’re buried like, twelve feet underground now.”

Sal stared at Jackie, the joke going right over her head. “Ashley has to make in, whether I do or not,” she said, controlling her voice from any more shouting incidents. This Jackie was so happy it seemed strange to lose her temper and start screaming.

“I’m not promising nothing,” Jackie shrugged. “All I’m saying is, do you want to answer any more questions, shout at me or leave?”

“I don’t want to even think about it.” Fury nodded in agreement as Sal strolled the forest alongside her, this time in an unrecognizable form. The moon was full, and it shone down right onto the city, and onto its forest boundary. Sal and Fury were carefully avoiding those of the AWL who were out looking for werewolves that night, and were careful to keep their voices down to keep away attention.

“I know Ashley will get in to that damn school, but what if-”

“Sal you are being way too emotional,” Fury replied. “What do you normally do when you’re feeling all girlish and emotional?”

“Attack someone or something…”

“Right, and are you feeling hungry tonight?”

Sal caught on to what Fury was saying and began to walk softer, watching out for any signs of animals to attack and eat. Something in the bushes behind them moved and both sets of ears pricked up. Sal nodded to Fury to be quiet, while she slunk up, low to the ground as she could, before jumping into the bushes and tackling whatever was there.

The dojer squirmed underneath Sal’s weight. Fury ran up behind Sal, and shook her head. “Let it go,” she told Sal. “Go attack a pigeon or something, those things are endangered or something.” Dojers were one of Warroga’s few native animals, small dog like creatures that were about the size of a badger but much skinnier, with long rabbit like ears and two wagging tales, the same camouflage green as the rest of its fur. It bounded off quickly and silently away from the two wolves, not understanding why it was freed but glad that it wasn’t eaten.

“Why on earth did you do that? You know that wolves don’t let things go?” Sal hissed. “You should have attacked that yourself even if I didn’t!”

Fury grinned. “Maybe I just wanted to eat it later.” Sal growled at her threateningly. “Chill, Sal. Do you want to go see what the pack are doing if you’re bored?”

“The pack can keep to themselves, and so can we,” Sal answered before stalking off. Fury ran a bit to catch up to her. “I don’t want to go to the pack, the pack can take care of themselves.”

“Then what do you want to do?” Fury asked, stopping. “Its not as if the forest has an arcade or anything.”

Sal sat down and put her head on her paws. “I can’t go to that school anyway,” Sal suddenly announced after a moment or two of silence. “There’d be too much security to break out every full moon, somebody would be bound to see and anyway –“

“Well if you do go to that school,” Fury interrupted quite rudely, making her voice override Sal’s. “There’s the Shady Thicket right behind the school, and part of it is on school grounds anyway so its not as if you’ll be deliberately breaking rules. Is there a rule to say that you have to be in bed at a certain time?”

Sal looked at Fury as if she was stupid. “Do I go to the school yet?” she asked impatiently.

“Will you let me continue?” Fury demanded.

Sal looked up to the sky, which was slowly growing lighter, from the deep midnight blue to a purple bluish hue, which to anybody else would have looked beautiful. “No,” she said simply turning back to Fury, watching, as Fury seemed to grow smaller while she grew taller and lost her fur and her tail. They shrank into her smoothing skin, as for the fur around her head; it became much thinner, and took on its usual reddish carrot colour.

She shook herself once the transformation was finished, and left Fury shouting after her.

“How do I tell her this? Do I just go, congratulations you made it and I didn’t? Or should I say something like, well I guess I’ll never see you again. No I can’t say that, she’d be so angry she’d knock down a wall or something.”

Ashley muttered to herself furiously as she walked back up the stairs. She had just walked downstairs, checking out the results of who made it into Kilbourne Shorelines High and the results weren’t good. They were to some body else, but to Sal they would just be like running past her and yelling “SALLY ANNE!”

“Um… Sal, are you awake?” Sal stirred at Ashley’s voice, tired from her night roaming the forests with Fury.

“What the hell do you want?” she snapped, before realizing who spoke. “What is it?” she asked again, this time in a much more civil tone.

“I’ve got to tell you something,” Ashley said, uncertainty creeping in her voice. She didn’t know how to word it but it didn’t really matter, because anyway it was put would be bad news and would have the same effect. “You’re going to Kilbourne!” she announced excitedly, trying to make it sound better than it was.

Sal eyed her, demanding the full story. Ashley sighed, and braced herself. “You’re going to Kilbourne Shorelines High with some guy who’s eighteen. Do you know Jason Alexia…” She stopped once she saw Sal’s face twitching. “I’ll go get some breakfast, shall I?” and with these departing words, dashed out of the room, closing the door behind her, still able to hear the scream of rage.

Lady Vulpix
21st March 2004, 11:54 AM
I don't mean to spoil the fun, but your fic is still here (http://www.pokemasters.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21411).

PancaKe
21st March 2004, 11:50 PM
Ah just spoil it! You killed it Gabbi!!

Actually, I figured it had slid down pretty far, so i decided reposting was easier. Anyway, I'm concidering rewriting some parts, but I'm not too sure. I'll just have to see.

~Mist

Darkmaster Kagemusha
22nd March 2004, 08:18 PM
I'm glad you're gonna post it up again, I love this fic. Pleeeeaaaaase hurry. I neeeed neeew chappies. **Clings**

PancaKe
29th March 2004, 12:14 AM
Fine okay here we are, chapter three:

Chapter Three

The many faces, the many people that were walking in groups, talking to each other, giving cries of “Oh my gosh how were your holidays?” or “I love that top!” They thoroughly irritated Sal, who, single handedly, carried her case up the drive and into the gates of the school.

‘Why the heck do they want to be happy? There’s too much bad stuff going on for them to be happy, for one thing Ashley is stuck going to Mount Karper while I’m here in the place that she wanted in the first place.’

Sal’s thoughts of anger and unhappiness shone through her ferocious scowl, glaring at anybody who even dared to glance in her direction.

“Name please,” the bored office worker asked, her hands poised above the keyboard ready to look up Sal’s school records.

“Sal,” she replied shortly. The woman frowned as she searched the names. Sal sighed at this. “Sally-Anne McGregor,” she corrected with loathing. The woman nodded and gave her a card and let her through. Sal stared at it, before stashing it in the backpack on her back and walking into the school. The woman tried to shout instructions as she walked off, sounding very much like ‘tower 1 room 4’ but Sal couldn’t care less.

With no idea where to go, Sal pulled out the school map and decided to head to tower one after all. As she passed through the school quadrangle, many people turned to stare at her. Whether it be the way she was dressed in ripped jeans and a t-shirt that obviously wasn’t designer label, or whether it be the expression worn on her tired and angry face, she did not know. She only knew one thing, it just added to her rage.

“What the heck do you call that?” one girl asked, eyeing Sal’s clothes, from the ripped soles of her shoes to her messy hair and torn sleeves. This girl was rather pretty, but Sal couldn’t care less for looks, or for the skirt and fitted shirt the other girl was wearing. “Like that stuff, its like you don’t have a home, or you live in a bin or something.” She twirled a strand of mousy brown hair with her finger and popped her bubble gum in Sal’s face.

Sal’s eye twitched, and she dropped the suitcase to tense up her fist. Somebody caught her eye, and she turned her head, thinking that she had seen Ashley, yet it wasn’t. An image of her Asian friend popped up into her head, and she could hear Ashley’s words echoing through her mind. “Don’t do it on your first day, please Sal.”

Sal kept her fist tense though, just in case. “Would you mind getting out of my way,” she uttered at last, rage shaking through her voice, her mind beginning to block out Ashley’s echoing words of “Don’t do it please!”

“Are you going to take that Kayla?” one of the girl’s friends exclaimed with a gasp, clearly over acting the shock.

Kayla’s eyes narrowed. “No I’m not,” she replied, and pushed Sal’s shoulders, causing her to take a step back, her hair being knocked out of her eyes. Kayla caught sight of the gleam in the emerald pools and took a step back. Sal narrowed her eyes, and put down her suitcase slowly, regretting picking it up.

“Is that the best you can do?” Kayla’s friend called, obviously not seeing what Kayla saw in Sal’s eyes. She came up and stood beside Kayla, and gave Sal a push. Sal stared at this new comer. Her face was small and came to a small point down where her chin was, and every feature seemed to fit into this shape in an odd yet coordinated fashion. Her eyes were narrowed, and her thin black eyebrows were giving the impression that she wasn’t as angry as Sal, whose thick eyebrows were acting as forceful arrows. Her nose was small and upturned, but not so she looked like a pig, more like she looked as if she was sniffing when she wasn’t, and her hair was short, shiny and black.

Sal didn’t really know what happened next, but she found that as she tried to swing a punch aimed at the upturned nose of Kayla’s friend, a hand closed around her fist, stopping it from moving at all. Looking up, Sal met the narrowed glare of two icy eyes, and met the frozen stare with an equally cold one.

“You’re coming to my staff room, right now,” this woman said, her eyes still icy. She turned and walked away, expecting Sal to follow, but Sal as always, objected to obeying this stranger.

“Says who?” she retorted.

The woman turned around, and sized up Sal, from her torn jeans to her messy hair. “Where you come from, you probably do what you want. Not around here.” Sal was too taken back to reply rudely, and simply picked up her bags and followed, swearing under her breath.

She entered the staff room this woman owned and let her mouth hang open as she took in the surroundings. Never had she seen such fresh painted walls, such clean walls, any cream wall back in Quentside Heights would be caked with dirt, mud, and probably spew. Same with the carpet, the dark blue carpet was so clean it gleamed back at Sal and she had to stop looking at it to save her eyes. The desk, and shelves around her were neat and tidy, and the many photo frames on the walls were hung straight and did not seem to have their glass smashed.

“What was that all about?” she barked. “Put your suitcase and backpack over there,” she ordered, pointing a skinny finger with a large maroon nail at the corner of the room. “Then sit down in one of the chairs.”

Grumbling, Sal did as she was told and found herself seated in a soft cushioned chair after her stuff was put in the corner. “So what am I here for? There are so many other places I’d rather be.”

“You almost started a fight there, and that is breaking school rules,” this woman began.

“Yeah, but who the hell are you to tell me what to do anyway?” Sal asked, annoyed deeply at the nerve people had in Kilbourne. Quentside Heights civilians had enough sense not to order each other around, and they had enough sense not to continue so if somebody was boiling with fury.

“I’m Balloise,” Balloise replied, her voice still frozen in the way she spoke. “Ms Balloise to you, and I’m vice principal of this school. That is whom I am to tell you what to do. You’re very lucky I stopped you from punching that girl.” She narrowed her eyes and looked squarely into Sal’s. Sal couldn’t have cared less about what this Balloise teacher had to say to her. “Especially on your first day too. This cannot happen again, do you understand me?”

“I’m not caring about anything you’ve got to say,” Sal snapped, turning away and staring up at a picture of Ms Balloise and a group of people in front of an office building. It was a different side to the very icy Ms Balloise in the office, in this photo she was there, grinning, and her arms around two people on either side of her. One had red hair, a similar carrot shade to Sal’s but shoulder length, not cropped from years of self-service haircuts. The other had black hair that was unbelievably messy and sparkling green eyes and looked as if he had just told a joke that would make him wet his own pants, let alone the others.

Deciding she had looked away for long enough, Sal turned back to Ms Balloise and was met by a piercing stare. The amount of time this stare had gone on made Sal assume that it was just the way that Ms Balloise’s eyes were created, but remembering the picture on the wall Sal’s assumption was quickly proven wrong. “You will be caring, Sally-Anne,” Balloise glared. “I can either make your life here good, or horrible. It’s up to you which one you choose.”

Sal looked at Balloise, confused. “So can I leave?” she demanded.

“Yes,” Balloise allowed, and sat back down, beginning some paperwork that had been lying on her desk. Sal gathered her belongings, and headed out the office, very confused, continuing towards Tower 1, Room 4, wherever that was from this office.

“You are so dumb!” a girl shrieked, pushing a guy with very untidy brown hair over into the wall. The guy got off the wall and laughed, walking alongside the blonde girl and another guy with bleached blonde hair that seemed to be spiked as if he had just pulled his finger from a power socket. The brown haired male quickly replied to this action by slamming into the girl. She shrieked as she went falling fast, crashing into the bleached blonde boy and taking him into the wall with her.

“Excuse me!” the bleached blonde boy exclaimed, but the wide grin on his face showed he wasn’t mad.

“Martin did it!” the girl cried loudly, pointing an accusing finger at the brown haired male, Martin.

“Stop lying, Nayia Waterflower,” Martin ordered in a mock bossy voice. “Wouldn’t your mother like to hear about this?”

“Just as much as yours,” Nayia Waterflower yelled back, laughing loudly with Martin and the other boy. Nayia turned to the bleached blonde, and poked him in the chest as they walked. “What about your mother, Craig? Would she want to know about what you get up to at school away from her watchful eye?” Nayia raised an eyebrow and laughed.

“You wouldn’t dare.” Craig pushed her into Martin and they both went toppling over, laughing.

“What dorm are you guys in this year?” Nayia asked as they headed out the building and across the quadrangle. Sal followed them, eyeing the luggage in their hands, figuring that wherever they had to go was where she had to.

“Tower 1, Room Seven,” Martin answered. “With Craig.” Craig grinned evilly back at him.

“How cool! We’re in the same tower!” Nayia exclaimed. “I’m in Room Four! We’ll be able to share the same –“

But what they were able to share Sal never found out as a loud thud interrupted Nayia’s talking. Nayia stumbled away from the pole, rubbing her head and laughing louder than both Craig and Martin, who had both been witnesses of Nayia’s unfortunate pole crash. Sal didn’t find this funny.

The group in front of her laughed all the way to Tower one, where Sal followed Nayia up the girls staircase and into room four. It was a brightly lit, freshly painted room, with the windows wide open so a cool breeze could blow through. Several beds were lined up neatly in a row, each with a bedside table and curtains on a track above so that if wished, a person could be alone in their cubicle.

________

Sal stood at the doorway taking this in, not sure which bed to take. Nayia, on the other hand, ran straight to a bed in the middle of the room and threw her stuff on top, before going to run right out again and almost colliding with Sal head on. “Whoa sorry! I didn’t see you there!” she apologized quickly. She took a breath, and studied Sal, who looked down at her. “You’re new aren’t you?”

“Yeah, and?” Sal rudely snapped. Nayia jumped back a bit, unaware of what caused the sudden outburst of snappiness, but ignored it.

“Well I’m Nayia Waterflower, nice to meet you,” Nayia held out her hand to shake Sal’s and Sal stiffly shook hers back. “What’s your name? Oh and as for beds, you might want to get a good bed while you can. Even though the ones on the ends of the row might seem like a good idea, they’re really uncomfortable, one squeaks whenever you move and one has no springs in the mattress. The best beds are mine, and a few near mine.”

“Right,” Sal picked up her bag and went over to one of the beds next to Nayia’s bed, putting it down on the mattress.

Nayia grinned at her. “Hey are you doing anything, do you know anybody here?” she asked. Sal looked at Nayia, her green eyes dancing dangerously. “What I meant was,” Nayia corrected herself quickly, “was do you want to come and hang out with me and my friends? Did you see the two guys I was with before? We’re not going to do much because dinner is going to be in about an hour or so.”

Sal shrugged, quickly thinking this over in her head. On one hand, she could do with a group to stay with while she lived this lonely life ahead of her, but would it be disloyal to Ashley’s friendship? She hadn’t even gotten to say a proper goodbye to Ashley. They had gotten to the train station and the train had just about taken off. Sal would have gladly missed it, but Ashley had insisted she jump right on and wave through the windows.

“Are you unpacking now?” Nayia asked, watching Sal stare absentmindedly at her bag, still contemplating whether to go with Nayia or not.

Sal snapped out of her thoughts, a decision clear in her mind. “I’ll go with you,” she told Nayia.

“Cool,” Nayia squealed, bounding over towards Sal and moving to giving a hug. Sal stared at Nayia, who moved back quickly. “Let’s go then,” she grinned, before grabbing Sal’s wrist and pulling her out the room. “By the way, what’s your name?” she asked as she dragged Sal down a few flights of stairs.

“Sal,” Sal replied, unaware of what was going to happen. They burst into the ground floor living, or common as Nayia referred to it, room and stood at the doorway. Sal listened as Nayia pointed out people to her. People who were all smiling, unlike Sal. Nayia hadn’t seemed to notice the fact that Sal had not once smiled during the one sided conversation.

“That there, see the one who just walked in,” Nayia whispered, pointing.

‘Wow she is actually able to whisper’ Sal thought cruelly.

“That’s Kayla Myssina and Teresa Balloise, they’re two of the biggest tarts this school has seen, and they’re only thirteen. You’re thirteen right?” Sal nodded in response. “So am I! Yeah, there they go, those stupid – Hey Kayla how are you?” she greeted, false cheeriness in her voice. “Which dorm are you in?”

“Room four,” Kayla smiled back. “How about you, and her?” She looked sideways at Sal, who glared back.

“We’re in Room Four too!” Nayia grinned. “What about Teresa?”

“Tower two,” Teresa scowled. “For some reason they put me in Room One in Tower two. Only the year sevens and senior years go into Tower two.” She grumbled on as they continued up the stairs, Kayla struggling to carry her two overfilled bags, Teresa strolling up behind her.

“I don’t like them,” Nayia pulled a face. “Kayla, she’s nice enough but put her and Teresa together and you get the worlds biggest pair of” she decided to add a simple swear word to the conversation. “Hey, see those two guys over there? One has really nice brown hair; the other bleached blonde hair, not that the bleach made a difference seeing his hair is already dark blonde. They’re Martin Jackson and Craig Curtis. Craig has the blonde hair and Martin has the nice hair. Hey, hey MARTIN!” Nayia yelled and seizing Sal by the wrist yet again ran across the room to meet them.

“How’s your head?” Craig asked Nayia, referring to the pole incident. Nayia laughed.

Martin’s face turned serious. “No, Nayia, I think that pole did something to your face,” he began, in a worried tone. Nayia looked alarmed.

“What happened?”

“It’s gone deformed,” Martin continued, reaching out to touch her face. “Your nose is really big, and your face is dented, like it’s caved in!”

Nayia frowned. “Would you stop that?” she demanded, playfully batting away his hand. “Oh yeah, dudes, this is Sal. She’s from – where are you from?”

“Quentside Heights,” Sal answered darkly, her guard on high. She barely knew this loud Nayia, and yet she was already being asked question after question. Highly suspicious of anybody preparing to attack, Sal looked carefully from Nayia to Martin and then to Craig, who were taking in this shocking information.

“Whoa,” Craig whispered.

“How can somebody from Quentside Heights,” Nayia began. Sal turned to her, preparing an attack if anything offensive came out of that large mouth of hers. “Have such a cool way of dressing? Man I love the whole ripped jeans look! I’d rip my own jeans but Mum won’t let me, she says that they cost enough without having to go buy new pairs for ripped ones.”

“That’s just because she’s worried about the neighbors talking about you,” Craig replied.

“You mean even more than they do?” Martin joked. Nayia pretended to look offended and shoved Martin. Sal watched this behavior with awe. If that had happened in Quentside Heights, it would be an invitation for a shoot out or a punch up or even a knife fight. But here, here it was just an act of fun, a way of playing with each other without having any hard feelings.

“So Sal, what’s it like in Quentside Heights?” Craig asked, curious. “I wouldn’t know, I’m from Zharm City.”

“Yeah he’s poosh,” Nayia input, putting too much emphasis on the o in posh.

“Poosh?” Martin repeated. “What’s a poosh?”

“You know I meant posh!” Nayia poked her tongue out at him.

“Yeah Craig is so much more poosh than us because he comes from a poosh area,” Martin teased.

“And as if Cascade isn’t poosh,” Craig retorted.

“We’re not from poosh Cascade,” Nayia shot back, still grinning but trying as hard as she could to act as if she wanted to fight. “We’re from poosh North Cascade, so there.”

“Poosh,” Martin teased, poking Nayia’s side.

“You guys are all from the rich areas,” Sal commented, and then bit her tongue in spite of herself. She had just talked to them, dropped her guard, and made herself vulnerable. She picked up her dropped defense, still keeping her teeth on her tongue.

“Yeah,” Martin shrugged.

“It’s not really a big deal,” Craig replied. “We couldn’t care less about the area’s we came from, we actually reckon it’d be much more fun to be in a not so posh and good area.”

“It’s poosh, not posh!” Martin interrupted.

“Shut up would you!” Nayia yelled shoving him against the wall, then tripping over a bit of loose carpet and falling against him. They both laughed and got off the wall.

“So what is it like, coming from Quentside?” Craig repeated.

“Rough,” Sal answered shortly, not trusting herself, let alone these three. Perhaps in time, she could bring herself to begin to trust these people, but for now, she didn’t need friends. She didn’t need anybody but herself.

And maybe Fury.

“Do you know how good this school is?” Nayia asked Sal as they waited in line for their dinner. “It’s like, we’ve hardly got any boundaries. Every time we go out the front we swipe our cards to show we left then swipe them to come back in, it’s really cool. And the bay is in bounds too, Kilbourne Shorelines High, that’s where it gets its name, because we’re right on the boarder of the country. And also, only about a kilometer into Shady Thicket is in bounds, the rest is out of bounds because it’s dangerous or something. But there are some really good picnic grounds in there.”

“Shady Thicket?” Sal repeated.

“Yeah, the big forest that comes onto the back of the school,” Nayia shrugged, stepping forward as the line shuffled along. “You know you rarely talk, I’ve only heard you say a few words. You should talk more. I think Martin would like that a lot more, sometimes I get the feeling that I talk too much around him. Do you know what I mean?”

Sal merely raised her eyebrows, still keeping her mouth shut.

“Why don’t you talk anyway?” Nayia asked. “I mean I will shut up to hear you answer.” She closed her mouth and looked at Sal expectantly. Sal looked away from the inquisitive gaze that Nayia was giving her.

“You can never trust anybody,” Sal replied softly, her voice deadly serious.