PDA

View Full Version : Plagiarism.

Dragonfree
17th March 2004, 07:17 PM
Yes, The Quest for the Legends has been copied by a ten-year-old girl by the name of Kristin.

I was bored today and randomly decided to search Google for "Vertical pies". That made my come across a plagiarized fanfic on PUK - Star Latias and the Nine Vertical Pies by Latios, copied and posted by "master rayqauza". This caused me to realize that fanfiction isn't safe from thieves...

So I searched Google for "Chaletwo"...

And guess what came up? A terrible ripped-off copy at a kids site, renamed to "Our Great Pokémon Journey", using my fake pokémon and world, with quite a few paragraphs copied word by word apart from the main character being a Mary Sue and that most names were changed. And a lot of people suddenly got evil and the long conversation between Charizard and Scyther in chapter 24 was cut down to "They talked for a while and then forgave each other". Then the author apparently "lost the data she had saved for it" (= forgot the URL to my site) and decided to write a new fanfic. Happening in Ouen (my world) again, of course.

I managed to find her website after a lot of searching, and politely posted at her forums about how it's not fun to be ripped off and how she should make her own world, pokémon and plot instead of stealing mine...

Anyway, has anybody ever stolen your story? Then I mean really stealing it, not just like using the same name or something, like was in the thread "Copycat!". If you've never checked, maybe you should. You can never know...

PancaKe
18th March 2004, 12:11 AM
I'd suggest contacting mods of the forum or owner of the site or whatever and dobbing her in! Evil revenge :D

And has it happened to me? Not that I know of. I plagerized my own fic :P LVH and Full Moon are almost the same ;) But um... as far as i know it hasnt happened to me. I've read fics and stolen little ideas, like offhandedly mentioned things and turned them into big things, and stuff like that, but nothing too major.

:)

I'm not a plagerizeristic person here. (i made up a word!)

God bless

~Mist

Darien Shields
18th March 2004, 02:37 AM
Hmmm, I'll have to look around and make sure none of my stuff's floating around in copies... Although I myself am guilty of ripping things off a bit, but not in such a blatant manner. e.g. Pokemon Kami, the main character is actually Malon from Zelda, her father Talon. The next thing I think was more subconcsious- I took things from Harry Potter, head scar, dead mother, stag, etc. But I've never lifted paragraphs. That's just wrong.

Chris 2.1
18th March 2004, 10:36 AM
Oh dear, this brings back memories...

On SPP forums AGES ago, when I was writing 'From Rookie To Champion' a few people copied that. One guy made a fic entitled 'The Rookie's Champion quest', with the same three main Pokemon (given to the respective genndered-trainers) and the whole TM card swipe-system I sorta made up. I was so mad!

Thank god nobody dare's copy it here ;)

Ps: I'm going to search for any of my fics...I want to SUE!

Dragonfree
18th March 2004, 05:13 PM
My problem seems to have been solved, since the editor of that website did accept my comment and was concerned about it after all. Whee! Victory for me...

Somebody copied From Rookie to Champion and posted it also at the serebii.net forums? That's kinda thick... -_-;;;; Very thick, actually. Like when somebody stole sprites from Mew's hangout and posted them at the Mew's hangout forums...

Chris 2.1
19th March 2004, 10:39 AM
Well they did stop after I totally attacked them with my rage. Hehe. Although shortly after Monica's Army was up and going, I'd guess around....Chapter 12, someone on these boards was planning a blatant ripoff of the fic, what with Adeptry Clan names and so-forth. I gave them a peice of my mind, and thankfully the plan never went through.

Lady Vulpix
21st March 2004, 11:46 AM
Not that I know of, fortunately. I wouldn't like it if someone else took credit for what I wrote. Though I've noticed other people have used items named Orb of Souls.

Powarun
21st March 2004, 11:07 PM
Ah, that is really low, for both of you two Dragonfree and Brit Chirs. Maybe teh plagerisor may be named Shiny Marril? (joking.) Well I guess I am lucky since no one in the right mind would copy my works, unless it was to translate them to better discriptions.

Darien Shields
22nd March 2004, 07:22 AM
I have often considered, after reading something rather bad, taking the events and whatnot and writing it really well (or as well as I can) then posting it saying "This is how it's done." 'Course I'd make it clear that it was a copy of the plot etc., since it's just for the purpose of showing people up.

Shadow Djinn
22nd March 2004, 10:13 PM
Dankee-sai Dragonfree. =) Should you not have mentioned this I would havenever found out this...

Ok...After reading this I checked back to my site loaded with Fanfiction I haven't posted here. I put my latest fic down and checked the guestbook. Then, I saw one person's homepage they left. Reminded of this acount, I entered. It was a forum dedicated to Fanfiction. I browsed through it and found a user named " Shaolin 1413234". THe title of the FF was " The Voyage to Ostia". I clciked it and guess what I found out? The first chapter had been entitled " Canyon Encounter", descrbing the fight paragraph by paragraph. -_-; I had only started it a few days ago, and only dumped the 1st Chapter. I had already finished about 5. SO I posted there and the author claimed I was his ' younger brother' and didn't like him a lot or something to that effect. I managed to contact the mods, etc. PLus, the fight...which was bloody ^^; had been shortened bit by bit...not giving it so much of a Battle feeling to it. :/

Darien Shields
23rd March 2004, 07:18 AM
Can anyone link to these places? I want to make sure my stuff's not floating around on some other forum.

Shadow Djinn
23rd March 2004, 04:18 PM
Well, I got banned from the forum after tat xD but I don't vividly remember seeing any fics similar to yours. The url doesn't work, but try searching Google/Yahoo! for Zeta Fanfic FOrums.

Team Rocket's Lugia
23rd March 2004, 04:36 PM
Sigh, I think I definatly should post here, I mean, my own fic has almost all the charecters from other fics, so I guess Iam guilty? Even though no one has sloten my fics (even if they are bad), I think my current one will still contiune, unless there's a petiton or something. Though i do give credit, so it isnt that bad.

Dragonfree----In my fic, for the next chapter(Which is not posted), I used your "animal world" story, as part of the chapter, though I was and will give you full credit, so if you dont want that part being slightly edited and be part of my fic, fell free to PM me.

Dragonfree
23rd March 2004, 06:32 PM
Sure, whatever... as long as you don't claim it as yours and don't change the actual story itself (that is, by all means word it in your own way, but don't change the things that happened around because then you'd not be respecting the time of my life that went into thinking up that story).

Team Rocket's Lugia
25th March 2004, 08:19 PM
Um, well, *bites nails*, can I um, send you the part of the chapter, cause I cant really judge. But of coure, full credit is always given.

phantomness
10th April 2004, 12:42 AM
Yes, Plagiarism is a real pain.

People have tried to rip off my 'Card Captor Ashura' several times already, but i think that's the only one...
I made my own page after people on fanfiction.net started taking my work while criticising it in the next moment. Double-edged sword either way. It got quite annoying. But I'm done blabbing.

Phantomness