PDA

View Full Version : Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien - The romance anime to end all romance animes

Last Exile
17th March 2004, 09:57 PM
Kimia Na Gozomu Eien translates to 'The eternity that you wish for'

Over the last 10 years, romance has finally become something that animators are doing. Mostly it's associated with a lot of fanservice though. The ebtter ones like Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Please Teacher and so forth all come with fanservice and certain amounts of insanity. But no series really tried to do it in a realistic sense. What was it really like?

Until now. J. C. Staff, one of the more prominent anime studioes of late (Azumanga Daioh, Shingetsutan Tsukihime) have taken a big plunge. Some anime series that aim to be realistic can ultimately fail (personally I think Planetes is a joke, nice one Sunrise!). But the creators of Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien really did their homework. I wonder how long they actually worked on creating the plot, storyline and characters, because frankly, this anime deserves top billing in those three categories!

Obviously unless you watch fansubbed material you've probably never heard of this anime at all, so I'll give you an idea of how it goes. It revolves around the lives of three high school friends. Takayuki, the one male fo the three, is pretty much ambitious-less. He's int he final yearb tu isn't taking his exams seriously at all. Then one day, he's set up with Haruka, also in her final year. It turns out that Haruka has liked Takayuki since the start of high school but never ahd the nerve to admit her feelings. Stunned at first, Takayuki cautiously returns Haruka's feelings. Things go slow at first for them but they then get pretty intimate in a short period of time, and it's actually really nice to see them in action. Also ncie to see in action is her mischevous and lviely sister Akane, who loves seeing the two of them together.

The catalyst for this relationship is Mitsuki, Haruka's best friend. She's the school's best swimmer and very lively in general. She's wanted Haruka to finally admit her feelings and set them up to fix the situation once and for all. Only problem is, she's liked Takayuki for quite a while as well, and she cant' admit her feelings anymore.

Just when things are looking peachy for everyone, tragedy strikes. Haruka is involved in a serious car accident and is sent into an indefinite coma. Takayuki is destroyed by the incident and goes into a downward spiral, quitting his exams and cutting himself loose. Mitsuki doesn't cope much better. She doesn't have the mental strength to swim at the top elvel anymore, she she regretfulyl gives it up in order to take an office job to care for Takayuki and bring him back from the edge. Soon after, she confesses her love to him, and they get involved, although this revelation is revealed as a flashback-type thing in EPsidoes 4 and 5.

We then jump three years into the future (This ahppens in Episode 3). Takayuki and Mitsuki are a very intimate couple and want to start living together. Takayuki earns his keep by part-time waiting. Jsut when things are on the up, they get a call from Akane. Haruka has finally awakened from ehr coma. She wants to see Takayuki right away. Only thing is, she has no idea three eyars have passed, and she still things she and Takayuki are a couple.

It's the ultimate moral dilemna. Takayuki is the only one who can help Haruka regain her memory, and it's clear that he still has feeligns for her. But then he's deeply in love with Mitsuki, who gave up so much to be with him. It takes its toll on all four main characters, as their lives begin to spiral out of control. Takayuki tries to please both but ends up making it worse. Mitsuki gradually sees her lvoe and care go unnoticed and is ultiamtely neglected. Akane unfairly labels Mitsuki as a traitor and thinks Takayuki is a coward. And Haruka is eventually going to find out she lost three years of her life.

It's a series filled with so much pain that it really hurts one to watch this, but ultimately, somehow things work out (and I won't say anything more on that because I'd ahte to spoil this for everyone). It pulls no punches whatsoever, and it's about time we had a romance series like this. It is a very frank look at life, the beuaty and tragedies it entails, the idea of love and how it can be the thing that makes you feel alive yet the thing that tears you apart. The soundtrack is piano-based and works on the emotions a lot. The animation quality is pretty high. All the characters are shown in great detail, juicing the emotion for all it's worth. And I have to say, this is the first time I'm actually seen love scenes in an anime where the female didn't look like she was in pain. In fact, they're quite nice to watch. They're shown in enough detail to please guys yet in a tender, gentle way that will suit girls. And don't worry, while this series is full on and has some reasonably graphic love scenes, this will only be an M rated anime, so you will get to see it when it's released!

Personally, I can't recall being emotionally moved so much by an anime. I was completely teary during the last 5 episodes because they were so full on in their reality. And that's the mega-plus for this anime. It is very realsitic. You will look at the situations these characters face and realise the way they act and so forth is probably how we would too. It's so ahrd to say something is right or wrong here, and that makes this anime even better. You can't play judge that much at all. And while each character makes some horiffic mistakes, you hate them a bit but sympathise with them even more. After all, they're only human and so are we.

Basically, this is definitely a 10/10 series. I rarely give this rating because the idea of a perfect anime rarely crosses my mind. The diea of eprfection almost seems wrong. Yet for me, I can't flaw it. I honestly can't. So I've found something to share the mantle with Last Exile. And J.C. Staff have shown they really can shake it with the big guns of anime, and that they now are one themselves. This anime should be compulsory viewings in high schools. because you will learn so much from it. I know it's not going to be for everyone, but do try it. It's one of those animes that deserves the labels of brave, original, epic and staple.

Okay, I'll be quiet now. I'll wait for Mike to tell me to get stuffed again and hopefully Azura and Darkyouth will have something to say on this.

PS. I f you look it up online and can't tell the two girls apart, Haruka si the peach-haired one and Mitsuki si the blue ahired one.

GoldenDragonite
17th March 2004, 10:53 PM
I've seen this anime, all 13 (? I think that's how many there were.. haven't seen it since late december) and its pretty good. Its cool to finally see an anime based on romance. I know there are some out there.. but romance is the main focus in this one. I really enjoyed it as well.

Last Exile
18th March 2004, 02:12 AM
Sweet, nice to know someone else on TPM has seen it and liked it. ;)

Actually there were 14 episodes. Can't forget the last one, can we?! That's when things finally went right for everyone and when the better side of people and humanity prevailed. And a nice makeup kiss! ;) Ah well, I'm a sucker for good anime kisses, I admit it! But the intimate scenes were really good in this one.

Azura Stardust
18th March 2004, 06:13 AM
KGNE is a RABIDLY popular anime... you should have seen the number of downloads it gots, the number of fan/boys it got and wow.... It is based on an ero-game from Japan of the same name, which was WILDLY popular among otakus apparently - so much so that they made a non-erotic version of it for the PS2...

It attracted lots of people because it was completely non-fiction (well, it's fiction, but as in it doesn't have any fantasy elements in it like Midori no Hibi or stuff like that.) Because it was so realistic, people tried to put themselves in the same situation and felt a lot of pain...

It's a good show IMO; though later the drama gets a little odd (that's if you have high standards for a show though)... and the ending pissed off lots of people, but I was okay with it. Though, they missed out one important scene from the game for the particular ending the show chose; I can't put it here because it's spoilery :)

As for the animation, I suppose it didn't really matter but they could have put more effort into it; it was great in the first ep but it kind of went down after that :\

Overall a good show. Very nice if you like Japanese/Chinese/Korean dramas; it's enjoyable - and if you haven't watched them before it could be an eye opener. Of course, you can easily hate it if you adopt a different point of view, but the same goes for even great shows like Cowboy Bebop.

It was very interesting going onto the animesuki forums and observing mad discussions and arguments while the series was being released. Who was at fault? Why? It certainly enlightened some mindless people to become more rational, more thinking and more sophisticated...

By the way, why did you say "And J.C. Staff have shown they really can shake it with the big guns of anime, and that they now are one themselves." J.C. Staff did not produce this anime, it was produced by Studio Fantasia; the game was produced by âge.

Dark-San
18th March 2004, 10:36 PM
Yupz it touching but like what I hav say before I've seen too much of these stuffs in Hong Kong Drama serials. A girl goes into coma and then when she wakes up, she finds her lover with another woman usually would be her best friend~

Well but I must really admit that this anime is a touching. And it is regarded as number 6 in my list of favourite animes. When I actually does rewatched the anime the seocnd time, I've come to realised that the anime ended a bit too soon. So I guessed they should ended the anime at 26 episodes instead of 13!

Last Exile
19th March 2004, 05:33 AM
Yeah, Azura, thanks for the correction. I think in another topic you said KNGE was done by J.C. Staff, but when I checked animenfo.com, I then learnt that Studio Fantasia did it. Wonder what else they've done?

Any idea why this isn't licensed yet? If it was that popular, why have series liek Maburaho and Chrno Crusade already been licensed while absolute gems like KNGE, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Onegai Twins and Shingetsutan Tsukihime not been licensed yet?! I think some, if not all, licensing people are lacking brains.

Azura Stardust
19th March 2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita
Yeah, Azura, thanks for the correction. I think in another topic you said KNGE was done by J.C. Staff, but when I checked animenfo.com, I then learnt that Studio Fantasia did it. Wonder what else they've done?

Any idea why this isn't licensed yet? If it was that popular, why have series liek Maburaho and Chrno Crusade already been licensed while absolute gems like KNGE, Full Metal Panic Fumoffu, Onegai Twins and Shingetsutan Tsukihime not been licensed yet?! I think some, if not all, licensing people are lacking brains.

1. Studio Fantasia, from what I remember, has only done some minor work and it's only other major work was Stratos 4. I'm basing this off memory, so...

2. FMP?Fumoffu and Onegai Twins are probably going to be licensed, it's a no-brainer... it's just that nobody announed it.

3. The thing about KGNE and Shingetsutan Tsukihime is that while they may be popular among the anime fans, companies are not as willing to put their money into
- Something that the West cannot necessarily relate to easily (For example, Haruka. Almost anyone in Eastern countries should be able to relate to her traditional shy girl kind of image, but in America, probably not.
- Something that was based off an ero-game. I know this is a bit of a stupid reason and I'm just talking out of my ass here, but you know American parents. However, they could cut it to hell and hide the fact it was based off an ero-game...
- Not the kind of thing that most companies are looking for, maybe. Think about it... it seems odd. However, odder things have been licensed.

4. Or, it might just be a case of wait a bit. It didn't get licensed so fast because it's not an appealing anime like Chrno Crusade or a popular-genre anime like Maburaho (magic).

5. blue hair rules! :P

Last Exile
19th March 2004, 08:18 AM
Fair points, Azura.

And yes, weirder things ahve been licensed.

For example, Ikkitousen. Explain to me how that could morally be licensed ahead of Shingetsutan Tsukihime or Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien. Ikkitousen is almsot pure fanservice. For Christ's sake, one of the women has a full on orgasm during battle in episode 2! They're all drawn up for that as well. It's just disgusting and freaky! Yet this is licensed! What a joke! That series is virtually hentai, and while the two mentioned above are based on ero-games, they aren't that in series form.

Also, I looked at the licensed list and saw Scrapped Princess and Demon Detective Loki Ragnarok aren't licensed either. Now c'mon, SP is bound to be hell popular in the English world, I hardly know anyone that doens't liek it. And Ragnarok was very original and amusing. Now while Happy Lesson is a good series, it ain't great, yet it is licensed and already been released in the US. Explain the rationale behind that. Let me guess, it's got harem allusions, so it's got selling power for the boys, right?! *sigh*

Sorry if I'm ranting, but KGNE, ST, SP and DDLR deserve to be licensed ahead of filth like Ikkitousen. In fact, i'm damn offended that's even been licensed at all! :mad: Oh brother, what is the world coming to?! Full on orgasm - sheesh! I wanted to puke when I heard that. Whenever I read anime articles in newspapers and the like, they say the hentaish-sleaze factor is the one offputting thing that's stopping anime from going further and onto the main market. Stuff like Ikkitousen will not help.

EDIT: And yes, I loved the hairdos and colours too! :D And their faces, I'm just a sucker for faces. That's probably the one body part that draws me in most, especially with females. They really are the mirror to the soul, the eyes being the windows.

EDIT: Just noticed my review on animenfo got removed and I'm barred from editing or posting a new one. What the hell is with that?! geez, there are some real narrow-minded jerks on that site. Is there something wrong with posting something intelligent? And if they had a problem, couldn't they at least be courteous enough to notify me and tell em to alter it? Oh, that is pathetic!

Roarkiller
19th March 2004, 09:30 AM
Ill be very surprised if SP and Tsukihime doesnt get licensed, since both has very little to do with the japanese culture and so very easy to dub and fit into the american society.

Azura Stardust
20th March 2004, 02:32 AM
- Nobody has any idea why Ikkitousen was licensed. I don't understand it either. O_O;;

- I heard that Scrapped Princess is actually already licensed; except that nobody announced it. Apparently someone went to ask the rep of this particular company whether they had SP, and they said they couldn't get it as another company had the license first. I don't remember the exact source but it was on quite a few networks, including ANN.
This happens to be the same for Princess Tutu...

-Here's a little info on ero-games:
For a lot of them, they're usually not based on the erotic parts of it: the erotic parts are just added in so that the game sells (sad, yeah..)
Just like KGNE: the original game had sex scenes between Takayuki and whoever you chose, but the point of it was that it was a dating sim. This is whereby you are presented with situations and based on your decisions you are led to various various endings. You can even have endings with the minor characters like Ayu and Mayu...
The game can be played perfectly normally without the ero scenes at all, which is why it's made as such - so that if it's popular a non-ero version can be made and released for a broader market.
Which is what happened with KGNE.

-Do you know that mysterious green-haired nurse that popped up now and then in the anime? She's a little inside-refernece for the people who have played the game. She's one of the characters with whom Takayuki can "end up" with, and... she's notorious for not having a particularly good ending.
She is an incredibly minor character so yeah.

If I'm not wrong... (basing this off memory)

she likes Takayuki and is into BDSM or something, then she decides to be lesbian and forces Takayuki to go through a sex change operation.

Roarkiller
20th March 2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Azura Stardust
she likes Takayuki and is into BDSM or something, then she decides to be lesbian and forces Takayuki to go through a sex change operation.

Thats..... great :o

Whatever, i think ill download the series sometime next week. Damn spywares, try removing them manually and they screwed up IE.

Juz so u know, im now surfing on kazaa :o The same program that inserted most of the spyware :o:o How ironic...

Last Exile
20th March 2004, 06:51 AM
Yeah, just noticed Full Metal Alchemist isn't licensed either, now c'mon! I thought that was getting a 6% rating share in Japan, and that's pretty big after the usual big 3.

PS. For anyone looking for any KGNE pics, I found a site with some:

http://www.weasl.net/w.php?wall=kiminozo

Azura Stardust
20th March 2004, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Citrus Crush Chikorita
Yeah, just noticed Full Metal Alchemist isn't licensed either, now c'mon! I thought that was getting a 6% rating share in Japan, and that's pretty big after the usual big 3.

PS. For anyone looking for any KGNE pics, I found a site with some:

http://www.weasl.net/w.php?wall=kiminozo

I imagine hot hot titles like Naruto and Full Metal Alchemist aren't licensed in the US yet as the Japanese companies would like to make as much money as possible, and I assume negotiations are continuing...

P.S. for those who clicked the link, FYI the 2nd pic is the typical style of what the KGNE game looks like. All the hair and skin and stuff is coloured like that.

woz
20th March 2004, 07:56 PM
the ending sucked. i suppose it was the easiest to make into a "nice" ending for all the characters though.

Azura Stardust
20th March 2004, 08:05 PM
What I was hoping was that

(potential spoilers!!)

Takayuki wouldn't get any of the girls and would break down and Mitsuki would feel kind of sad but learn to live on and Haruka... well I dunno, bombed the town :P nah
Pity that didn't happen.

Also, in the game, the ending for the anime is the "perfect" ending in the game: though the game has one sweet moment where

(REAL SPOILERS NOW!)

Mitsuki reads Haruka's new book, Hontou no Takaramono (The Real Gift) to her child (who is a boy.. and happens to be blue haired too o_O;;;;;;;; )

The_Missing_Link
20th March 2004, 09:46 PM
Sounds like a good one but since there's no chance that I'll ever see it in my lifetime, could one of you PM me the ending? I just hate being left hanging and not knowing what happens

Chicoslavocia's Revenge
25th March 2004, 07:21 PM
...Pah.. After the first episode of this Anime, I was completely bored, and it seemed to take hours to get through a simple 25 minutes.

I can't say I'm not a fan of romance, but this Anime really needs a better beginning to hook people like me.

Which it didn't.

Which is why I'm not watching it.

I love the music though, (Y)

~Chico

Azura Stardust
26th March 2004, 06:18 AM
99% of people got turned off after hte first episode. I suppose it was there because they just had to put it in there.... couldn't compress it totally otherwise hte effect would be lost when you compare the first episode and teh ending. meh.

I don't like Haruka's image.

Roarkiller
26th March 2004, 11:20 PM
I juz watched 3 eps of the show.

IMO the 1st ep is slow, yes, but i cant see how it can be made faster either. And amazingly, its as realistic an anime as Azura said, tho the coloured hair and anime silliness kinda spoils it. And oh, they could do w/o the etchi as well.

Music and songs r very good, and i guess i kinda understand why its the kind of anime u either love like hell or hate like hell.

Azura Stardust
27th March 2004, 07:52 PM
Hey, it was based off an H-game so it's not too unexpected to have ecchi in it :) It also IS part of life. You can't escape the fact that people have sex, like it, and love looking sexy and raunchy.

Roarkiller
29th March 2004, 12:32 AM
Okay, finally watched everything (and i think i can roughly guess the role of the green-haired nurse in the game too 0.o) So here's my rant:

IMO its kinda true, the anime relates a lot to real life and apart from the little bit of anime silliness (especially Ayu/Mayu), everything seems pretty well thought out to fit life in reality. Or rather, i should say the harsh facts of reality.

The ending, its more of a love-hate feeling for me. While of course no one likes an ending with that much sorrow (and the word 'sayonara' is a VERY sorrowful word), in the end thats the way things ought to work out anyway. For example, if the ending was as expected i.e. Takayuki and Haruka got together again, Mitsuki was all okay with it and Shinji went back to being friends w/ everyone, and all four got back to being best of friends, then it would be a very happy ending BUT lose the reality feature, since that situation very rarely happens in real life anyway. Plus, their relationships with each other were IMO too far beyond repair.

- Shinji, who was never really close to any of the 3 in the 1st place, could not possibly be able to pretend everything was all a-ok since its not his character. And with his outing w/ Mitsuki plus the fight with Takayuki, its juz not realistic.

- Takayuki never really liked Haruka. His feelings evolved long after her confession, and his lack of attitude towards their relationship really showed. On the other hand, he was in very good terms with Mitsuki. His crying after the accident didnt seem like care for loved ones, but more of feeling guilty and responsible.

- Dont really know what to say bout Mitsuki actually. She's one helluva confusing character to figure out, but i think the reason why Takayuki chose her in the end was because she always stuck up for him. Not that Haruka wouldnt, but she isnt the outgoing type, and the 3-yr absence didnt help either.

- Haruka, IMO she juz gave up the idea of even trying to continue her relationship with Takayuki. The 2nd time she woke up, in that state of mind, i think she gave up a lot of things, like her life, her relationship, her feelings etc. She wasnt really a strong-minded person, as Akane herself hinted to Takayuki. IMO it was simply her letting go of everything, forget about everything, and start anew. She couldnt really let go of the past tho, but she had learnt to deal with it, and it shows through her book.

So yeah, theres my thoughts for the anime.