PDA

View Full Version : 2 General FR/LG Questions

Misdreavus
18th March 2004, 07:44 PM
1) If you trade a Pokémon from a Japanese FR/LG to an Eng Ru/Sa, is it true that it keeps Japanese writing for things like nature and attacks?

2) Is it very difficult to play through the game if I don't know any Japanese at all but have played RBY dozens of times and pretty much know the game by heart?

3) Does anyone know of an online English walkthrough and guide for this game? I know you can't post the link here, so if anyone knows of one, please PM it to me. If you have problems getting it through (I have been having problems with my box where it says it's full when it's not and such), please post that you do here and I'll do my best to resolve it.

4) Once you trade one old species to Ru/Sa, does your Pokédex immediately expand for #202-#386? If not, what happens?

Thanks. As you can probably guess from my questions, I am seriously considering importing the Japanese FR/LG but I think I might be COMPLETELY lost in it since I have read up on Serebii.net and there are a lot of differences in basic gameplay from RBY.

Number1ChanseyFan
18th March 2004, 08:26 PM
1. I am not really sure. If I find out a definite answer, I'll edit it into this post. I would assume that the only thing that would still stay in Japanese characters would be if you named yourself/your rival/your Pokémon in Japanese characters. Even in the Japanese version, you have the choice of using English or Japanese characters when naming yourself, your rival, and your Pokémon. Once again, I am not sure, but I think that the natures and attacks would change to English if your Pokémon were traded to an English Ruby/Sapphire game.

2. It shouldn't be too difficult, there are several people playing the Japanese version that don't know Japanese. The gameplay is mostly the same as the old R/B/Y games, except for a few changes, like the islands that you can get to after getting to Cinnabar Island, and after defeating the Elite 4. And now, to get past the guards that block your path to Saffron City, you will need to give them Tea that you get from a lady in Celadon City, instead of Fresh Water, like in R/B/Y, and the new move tutors, etc. If you pretty much know how R/B/Y worked, then you should be fine.

3. Your PM box can hold a combined 70 sent/received PMs. Have you tried switching your settings on your Private Message screen so that it will display older messages? Try changing the settings on your Private messaging inbox screen so that it says "Show messages from: the beginning." That could bring up some old PMs that you don't know you have, but are still counting towards your total of 70.

4. If you trade a Pokémon from Fire Red/Leaf Green to Ruby/Sapphire, then you should get the National Pokédex on Ruby/Sapphire.

rinku
18th March 2004, 09:58 PM
I don't know re FR/LG but I can confirm that the only thing that stays in Japanese for trades between Japanese Ru/Sa and US Ru/Sa are names.

Misdreavus
19th March 2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by rinku
I don't know re FR/LG but I can confirm that the only thing that stays in Japanese for trades between Japanese Ru/Sa and US Ru/Sa are names. All names or just nicknames? If it is all names, will it keep its name with Japanese text or will it change its name to the Japanese version in English text (ex: Rayquaza ~ Rekkuuza)?

Basically, if I don't nickname my Pokémon, will it be just exactly as if it came from an English game?

rinku
19th March 2004, 12:14 AM
Just nicknames. Basically any label the user has set. If you have not given them a nickname they will show as whatever their type is (PIKACHU, BELLOSSOM etc). And because they are trades, you won't be able to change that.

Gagome
19th March 2004, 07:12 AM
Originally posted by Misdreavus
All names or just nicknames? If it is all names, will it keep its name with Japanese text or will it change its name to the Japanese version in English text (ex: Rayquaza ~ Rekkuuza)?

Basically, if I don't nickname my Pokémon, will it be just exactly as if it came from an English game?
The pokemon will keep the name with Japanese text. You will see the japanese trainer name and the japanese name of the pokemon even if you did not give a nickname to the pokemon. All in japanese letters of course.
To avoid both you can give the trainer an english name when you start the game. And whenever you capture or get a pokemon give it an english nickname. Notice, however, that you can only enter five letters for a name.

Misdreavus
19th March 2004, 04:51 PM
Thanks. I have a few more questions if you don't mind.

Does anyone know if English Colosseum will let you use Pokémon from Japanese FR/LG? What if it has Japanese writing?

I heard that to get to the Ho-oh and Lugia island, you have to have something called a "Mystery Ticket". Is this found in the game or is it like the Eon Ticket?

Is there a special item needed to get to Deoxys' island? If so, is it in the game or like the Eon Ticket?

Number1ChanseyFan
19th March 2004, 05:09 PM
Fire Red/Leaf Green are compatible with Colosseum.

You need the Mystery Ticket to get to Island 8 and catch Lugia and Ho-oh, and you need the Aurora Ticket to get to Island 9 and catch Deoxys. These tickets are not in the games, so as of right now, without a cheating device, you can't get to these islands. However, it is possible that Nintendo will have promotions in the future that will make the Mystery Ticket and the Aurora Ticket available, like the Eon TIcket for Ruby/Sapphire.

BlueEyesPikachu
19th March 2004, 05:19 PM
Are those tickets available in Japan?

Number1ChanseyFan
19th March 2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by BlueEyesPikachu
Are those tickets available in Japan?

Nope, not yet. These tickets haven't been released anywhere yet, and they are not found anywhere in the games. So, as of right now, there are no ways to obtain these tickets without using a cheating device. :(

Misdreavus
19th March 2004, 09:53 PM
Thanks. Do you all think it's worth importing a Japanese version a few months before the game comes out when I'd probably buy both versions in English when they come out? I'm strongly considering it but I'm still not sure. If you all think it's a good idea, where do I go to buy it? Somewhere like eBay or Amazon? How much do you think it's worth?

Onix95
20th March 2004, 07:08 AM
I imported the game, and once I beat the elite four, I'll be able to trade to my english version. One thing to note is that you should not evolve a Japanese Pokemon in an English game. This may cause problems. Always try to trade over an egg.

Also, since the English GBA games do not work with the Japanese Colosseum, it can be assumed that the Japanese GBA games will not work on English Colosseum. The Pokemon themselves should be okay as long as they are on an English GBA cart.

Misdreavus
20th March 2004, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Onix95
One thing to note is that you should not evolve a Japanese Pokemon in an English game. This may cause problems. Always try to trade over an egg. What problems could occur? No problems will ever occur with Ru/Sa/Colosseum if the Pokémon has never evolved (otherwise, there would be no way to get the legendaries)? This is making me feel like I might crash my Ruby game with over 545 hours on it and all 4 trainer stars... I don't think I'd import the game if there would be any chances of that happening.