PDA

View Full Version : Want a fic? Come and get it!

Oakbark
29th March 2004, 01:59 PM
Hey there, and yes, that header is correct, i'm giving away an entire fic, which is about 223 ms word pages, and about 40 chapters long. It is a basic trainer fic, with a new continent (Tanta) and new badges (10) to collect. Pokemon feature as a main feature in the fic not only as battlers but as animals with emotions. The main characters are Tekka and Holly, with others joining up along the way. While the fic centres on the Pokemon League and the aquiring of badges, the more interesting plot is the Zapdos storyline, which I won't spoil by detailing further. Team Rocket also appear, but they aren't the no-hopers like the ones from the anime. Oh no, the rockets in this fic are much more successful and evil.

Why am i giving the fic away? Well, to be honest, I don't really want to, but the fic is dormant in the documents folder on my computer, and as i have major exams at school this year, I haven't the time to post the fic, and make the tweaks needed to make it better. I may never post it, so i'd rather someone posted it and people saw it than me just throwing it away.

Lol, it's defiitely no masterpiece, more like a major template for someone to adjust and tweak into something much better. The characters are there. The stories are there. The pokemon are there. Everything is there, except for a little bit of extra detail for someone to include. All i ask in return is that i'm stated as a co-writer of the fic, and that you leave the characters name's as they are. Not much, eh?

If you are interested, please PM me with your reason for wanting to use the fic, and a little battle scene between two pokemon of your choice. I look forward to hearing from people.

Below is a chapter from my story. The main character's Mum has entered a competition with her son's Ekans and Spinda, and Tekka watches on from a Pokemon Center TV as she demonstrates her 'battling' skills.....

Chapter 20: Housewives Competition. Enter Ms Carlford!

A few days had passed, and Tekka, Holly and Killian were training hard. Tekka was cleaning his poke balls when his mobile phone rang. As he only used the phone for emergencies, he knew it was a family member that was ringing. He answered the phone, and it was his brother- Liam.

“Hey bro, what’s happening?”

“What’s the problem, Liam?”

“Mum rang the gym earlier, and said that she wanted you to ring her from a Pokemon Center as soon as possible. She wants to borrow something from you.”

“What would I have that she’d want?”

“I don’t know. Oh, you wouldn’t believe how attached she’s become to Ekans.”

“Ekans? I thought she hated your snake.”

“Apparently, Ekans is helping her kill the weeds from around her plants. They’re like mother and son now.”

“That’d be something to see…”

“Gotta go bro. But get to the Pokemon Center fast. She wants this mystery item soon!”

“Later Liam.”

Holly and Killian laughed as he related the story to them. Tekka checked the HTM for a Pokemon Center, and luckily there was one down the road from them. They went off to the Pokemon Center, Tekka wondering what his Mum wanted.

Holly and Killian waited in the Pokemon Center lobby, and Tekka went over to the video phone. He rang his Mum, and she answered from the other side.

“Hey Mum, what’s wr….?”

Tekka stared blankly at the screen. On his Mum’s shoulder was Ekans, and he was hissing quietly. Tekka watched as his Mum as she adjusted him to sit more comfortably on her shoulder. He hadn’t realised Liam was being so serious when he said they were like mother and sun….

“Oh hello honey, I was wondering if I could borrow your Sting Ball for a few days.”

“My Sting Ball? Why?”

“And you know that Spinda you said you weren’t using much, could I borrow it as well?”

Tekka was getting very confused.

“Mum, why do you need them?”

“It’s a secret until I make the transaction. Please honey?”

“Well, I”m not using the Sting Ball, and Spinda isn’t exactly my favourite pokemon…”

“Brilliant! That’s settled then!”

“Oh, Mum, could you keep Spinda at home for a while? Like Ekans?”

“I’d be delighted to!”

Tekka put the Sting Ball into the trading machine, and his Mum held it in front of her to show she had received it safely. Next, Tekka sent his Common Ball, which had Spinda safely inside. Again, his Mum took out Spinda to show it had arrived safely. Tekka sighed.

“Now will you tell me what’s going on?”

His Mum winked.

‘stay at the Pokemon Center for a while, and tune in to Channel 36- Housewives Today, at 3:00. Bye!”

Tekka wanted an explaination.

“But Mum….”

But she was gone. Tekka went over to Holly and Jeston, and told them the strange events that had just happened. Killian looked up at the clock, and it read 1:06.

“Another two hours….let’s train outside for a while.

Tekka raced into the Pokemon Center.

“2:58! We nearly didn’t make it back to the Center in time!”

Holly and Killian came panting behind. Holly grabbed the remote from the table.

“36, wasn’t it?”

Tekka nodded, and as Holly turned the channel, a programme was about to start. It read Housewife Pokemon Contest. Holly looked over at Tekka.

“The poke balls, the pokemon, she hasn’t entered the Housewife Pokemon Contest, has she?”

Tekka refused to believe it.

‘she wouldn’t have, she couldn’t have…..”

Killian hushed them.

“It’s about to start! Quiet!”

The presenter of the show was a plump woman of about 40. She had withered black hair, which Holly observed was coloured, and held a small microphone in her hand.

“Hello, and you’re all very welcome to the Annual Housewife Pokemon Contest. Here on Channel 36, we’ll be showing the entire contest live, so get some food and grab a comfy seat. The competitors this year have amounted to over 100 battlers. Each will be using pokemon that they have around the home as pets or as battlers. With me now is the Contest Coordinator, Regina McSweeney. Regina, can you explain how the contest works?”

“Of course. To enter the contest, the housewives must have at least two pokemon. The first round will be a Qualifying Round between randomly selected pairs. The winners of the qualifiers will then battle between themselves, once again in randomly selected pairs. It will eventually boil down to four competitors, who will battle it out to claim the Housewives Pokemon Cup, plus the chance to become part of Channel 36’s pokemon housewives team.”

“Thank you Regina. But it’s not all battling, is it?”

“No, it’s not. Each of the remaining four competitors will show their skills about the home. For example, last year’s champion won the contest for her amazing Sunflora and her ability to speed the growth of her roses.”

“There you have it. We now go live to the first qualification match on a specially set up grass battle field on the outskirts of Sun Town, where the Contest is taking place.”

Tekka, Holly and Killian watched over 50 battles, and finally the last battle was about to start.

“And our last entry for this year’s Contest are Dora Smith with her beautiful Hoppip, and Daisy Carlford with an….Ekans.”

Tekka stared wide-eyed at the screen.

“Mum really did enter the contest. But she doesn’t know a lot about pokemon…”

Holly smiled.

“Never mind that- let’s cheer her on!”

Unaware to the trio, a crowd was gathering around the television they were watching.

Daisy stood boldly on the edge of the battle field. She thought quietly to herself.

“I can do this. I know I can. Most of the competitors are grass-types, and this Hoppip should go down pretty easily.”

The referee raised his flag.

“Begin!”

Dora threw a poke ball.

“Go, Hoppip!”

Daisy threw her Sting Ball.

“I choose you, Ekans!”

Dora glared at Daisy.

“Use a Sleep Powder attack!”

Hoppip shook furiously, and a cloud of Sleep Powder wafted gently across the arena. Daisy smiled.

“Ekans, use Whirlwind, like I taught you!”

The commentator gasped as Ekans produced a Whirlwind.

“This is incredible! Many thought Ekans was a strange selection of pokemon, but this snake is something else. Not even in the Tanta Championships have I seen an Ekans use Whirlwind!”

Ekans went around in a circle, as if it was chasing its own tail. He got faster and faster and eventually made a whirlwind. The powder went back onto Hoppip, and although it was a grass type, it became somewhat drowsy. Daisy smiled.

“Poison Sting!”

Ekans shot a barrage of poisonous needles at Hoppip, and it stumbled clumsily.

“Now, Tackle!”

Ekans finished the battle by thumping Hoppip hard with its head. Dora furiously recalled Hoppip, and stormed out of the arena.

“And there you have it. We finish the First Round qualifiers with the best match. Join us later when we show live coverage of the Second Round. Back to the studio.”

Some “experts’ started talking about the First Round, and their analysis. Tekka lowered the volume and turned to Holly.

“How does she know those attacks? She must have been training with Ekans for a while.

Killian nodded.

“That Whirlwind was very impressive. I don’t think a flying type could’ve done better.”

Holly agreed.

‘she’s going well. I wouldn’t be surprised if she gets through the Second Round either.”

Tekka thought it over.

“Well, she does have an advantage with Ekans. He’s a Poison type, and the majority of the contestants use grass types, which are weak against poison.”

Holly nudged him.

“Round Two!”

Darien Shields
30th March 2004, 03:10 PM
Umm, no offense, but it strikes me that you're asking someone to post your fic for you. Admitadly, you said they could make modifications, etc. and it needed some touching up, but essentially it's just posting your chapters and taking partial credit. People like reading fics and writing them, but I don't think that "owning" (if you could call it that) is much covetted.

Again, I mean no offense, I just want to be clear about what you're asking.

Oakbark
31st March 2004, 02:06 PM
Oh, that doesn't sound right at all.

What i want is, that someone takes my fic, spruces it up into a proper one, and posts it. Once they take the fic, it theirs, although i would like to be told where it's posted, etc. to see the reaction to it. I don't want to "own" the fic, merely see how it fares after the person that takes it posts it. I haven't time to post it/ make modifications myself, so i want to give someone the chance to build on a partially constructed fic. I wouldn't mind a mention in the first post, but i wouldn't keep coming back saying "THIS IS MY FIC! I WROTE THE MAIN STORYLINES AND IT'S PARTIALLY MINE!" kind of thing. Know what i mean?

Damien.

Chris 2.1
1st April 2004, 11:03 AM
I can side with Darrien, Oaky, but it is a nice gesture I guess. My only concern is that you're giving away your style - every writer has a style, and the recent Writing Contest showed various writers interpret things so differently. Your ending was very different, and unexpected, and rather good, and qualities you posess are being 'spruced up' as you put it, ie - changed, and someone else is posting it.

Imagine it. The more some dude (lets call him Beech) posts the chapters you give him, the name Oakbark will slide further away from the fic. Beech will get more known for his fic, and eventually it'd be claimed as his.

I mean if anyone wants it they can have it, I'm just not sure weather or not it's worth giving away. You only have to open the folder, copy/paste it onto a text box and post.

Gavin Luper
2nd April 2004, 03:17 AM
To state my completely honest opinion, "selling" a story kind of undermines the reason that we're all here.

Writers write because they have ideas that they want to write about, characters that they want to create, places they want to illustrate. By giving away a story, you're giving up all of that, plus, as Chris said, that's you're own personal writing style. I don't know whether there would be many writers here willing to take on an already-written fic, in which everything is already done for them, and all they have to do is change words and add description.

I've got to agree with Darien and Chris ... 'owning' a fic isn't very much sought after here. I'd recommend posting the chapters yourself, it would make you a better writer, if that is what you want to be.

Good luck, and cheers!

Oakbark
3rd April 2004, 08:25 AM
Yeah guys, i guess i know what your saying.

Chris: The idea was to give the fic to someone who might find it difficult to get off the ground, or that wants a shot at having their own bit of glory in this forum. You say it's only a matter of copy-and-paste, but i don't feel so confident. The chapters are far from posting material, and i'll need to work hard to make them into something better. I feel that they are lacking in quality and detail, and overall not good enough to post amongst the talented writers of this forum.

Gavin: I know what you're saying, and agree wholeheartedly that people post to share their writing. I might just go back and up the quality of the fic, and post it. Thanks.

Damien.