PDA

View Full Version : names...???

PancaKe
30th March 2004, 01:35 AM
Bleh, I'm stuck.

Me n my friends are trying to make a movie, but we're stuck for a characters name. Basically she's a punk superhero, part of the punk superhero trio thingy, and she's nameless. Me and my friends have been through a whole list of names, and are still nameless, so I figured, turn to the experts on naming characters.

Can you help?

Oh and while we're on the subject of names, what names do you really like to use or see in fics?

I like the name Sal for human, and Fury for pokemon. Gosh, I wonder if ive used those. :P

~Mist

Chris 2.1
30th March 2004, 01:28 PM
Umm well in another fic I had this Goth called Jane, but with an upper-class upbringing. She was kewl. Umm atm in Monica's Revolution, Melanie is a punk-goth, with the white make-up, umm she wears leather tho :-s and other such things. She's bad @$$

But punky people names?

Ami
Katy
Ashley/Ash

I dunno really, almost anthing's a punk name. Howsabout you tell us some names you like, and we choose?

Oh, for fics I dunno. Sometimes Chris? Yea that rocks ^^. But usually something original, but not made-up. Having a 13-year old kid called Xyuxaso or something is just wrong :-/

Darien Shields
30th March 2004, 01:51 PM
Hrm... I'm so out of touch I'm not sure what a punk is anymore... I know what Goths are, and also "Moshers" (They're goths, only more annoying) and then you've got skaters and neds... dems abouts all the social groups that you can be in (and therefore I avoid) where I am. But name? I dunno, here's a devastatingly unoriginal one; Syn.

But fear not, I have a better offering to make. Baby Names dot Com (http://www.babynames.com/V5/) has a vast armada of names. Don't laugh. It's really more like a dictionary of names.

I like non-clichè names, but preferably something real. So not "Dave" or "Sue", but something like Balthazar, etc. Yeah, Shakesperean, woo!

I really hate names with numbers in them, like 2ra or ElimN8. Although names with Roman Numerals like "Red XIII" can be cool.

dratinihaunter13
30th March 2004, 01:59 PM
yeah names can be a major headache >_<. suggestions are tough. i just recently met a girl named Sage, i really liked that name. as for others.... Krista, Stevie, Jaden. random names from me ^_^.

i agree with chris on names to use for fics. i like lesser-known names that sound like they carry more significance than just a name, but nothing too off the wall. though the names of my characters i use on this board are pretty drab, lol. sometimes you can come up with a name you've never heard of before that just rolls of the tongue perfectly.

Chris 2.1
30th March 2004, 02:02 PM
I don't GET 2ra...what is with that?

PancaKe
1st April 2004, 12:14 AM
How would you say 2ra? Too-rah???

~Mist

Chris 2.1
1st April 2004, 10:55 AM
Maybe the parents have 1ra, 2ra, 3ra....maybe they worship the Egyptian god Rah, umm he's the sun god if me remembers correctly, and umm yea.....

Or he could be a digital child, like a neopet, and has a generic code for a name ^^;;

Chris 2.1
7th April 2004, 11:48 AM
Umm Mist, you still need help?

Cos I thought you could like, give us the names and we could vote on the best ones or sumfink ^^

Over and out,
Chris

Darien Shields
7th April 2004, 12:36 PM
I had a talk with him back in "the day" about it (I was trying to tell him off for giving his character a wierd name.) As I recall it was his own nickname in reallity (although he didn't say why) which was spoken instead of written, so spelling never came up. (I'm partially making this up now... it was a long time ago, and I can't remember... I was reeeaaally drunk. j/k) Anyway, it was all in that Mary-Sue vein. I suggested that he try and explain it in the fic, but... Well, yeah.

I didn't know there was an H in "Rah" thought it was just "Ra".

PancaKe
8th April 2004, 01:52 AM
I've decided to go with the name Ami. 1) because its Amy Lee's name 2) it looks cooler with an I. *shrugs*

It makes a good discussion anyway. What were your parents gonna call you before they gave you your name? Who knows, might find some good fic names here. :P

I really like those japapnese sounding names, but i wouldn't use them in my fics because my fics arent japanese enough to be using those type of names.

~Mist

Chris 2.1
8th April 2004, 03:25 AM
Lol well I was apparently wanted as a girl ^^ so they were gonna call me either Charlotte or...Xiguise or something :lol:

Yea so when they realised I had some umbillical chord left AFTER they cut it off, they realised I was a boy.

I was gonna be called James, but my couz shares the same name, and since 2 James's was awkward, and I'd get called Little James, I got Christopher James! What a lovely story.

Umm yea IK know a girl called Ami. She's a punk/goth/grebo, she's in my inner circle :)

PancaKe
8th April 2004, 07:50 AM
Whats a grebo???

~Mist

Chris 2.1
8th April 2004, 11:43 AM
omg! Guess it's a brit thing

Grebo's like the 'original' variety of punks, goths, moshers. A Grebo, like me, is basically in a hoody, baggy jeans, belt, kewl shoes.....like a skater who doesn't skate. I film loadsa skating in town, I jus came back now, and stuff.

Btw: My mate got his lip pierced and two eyebrow bolts! :eek: He is a) the height of coolness and b) in SO much trouble with his parents!

-Chris

Darien Shields
8th April 2004, 12:41 PM
I don't think that's a "Brit" thing, so much as a "Scumbag Southerner" thing. Err, that is, "English"... Anyway, here in Scotland, home of the sane, we don't say Grebo (I'd never heard of it.) But we do have a vast variety of idiotic cultists... Goths... Moshers... Skaters... then there's Neds who are like the opposite of Goths, and wear track suits and stuff. I think you say "Townies"... I hate 'em all though. I used to think Goths were cool but... now I hate them all (is there an echo in here?)

Don't take none of that english stuff to seriously.

My, I have gone off track, haven't I?

Chris 2.1
8th April 2004, 12:48 PM
Lol, our equivelant of Neds are Scallies. Burberry scarves, trousers, anything Burberry, Rockport shoes or jackets.....umm they might jus be Brit brands, but Darrien will know what I mean!

PancaKe
9th April 2004, 05:20 AM
Gosh you guys are sooo lost. We have such diff names for groups in Oz. Um, we have the punks, and then you've got skaters. Pretty much, skaters and punks are like, almost related dude, most punk guys look like skaters who dont skate anyway *shrugs* um, then you've got ur goths, who are pretti scary. Then theres the teenyboppers (brainwashed pop lovers), homies (bleh, pretty much dudes who rev their cars, listen to rap and stuff, and wear like tracksuits and the rap stuff) and then you got homie chicks who pretty much are like the rnb chicks in the film clips... um... u got nerds, um.... stuff lyk that. Oh yeah, obvious one. STONERS.

What is a ned/scallie???
~Mist

Chris 2.1
9th April 2004, 06:42 AM
A Scallie is.....closest thing I can think of is a homie without a car ^^ we have homies.....but if you call someone homie they think you mean 'homosexual' and you're impyling you have homosexual relationships with people. Then you get your lunch money stolen :)

We have stoners, and all those ones you mentioned. My girlfriend was a stoner, and this one time [at band camp, rofl] she took me to the Stoners Tree. It's a huge oak tree with ashtrays nailed to each thick branch, so the stoners sit in the branches and smoke o_0;; She was all 'this is so kool!' and I jus rolled my eyes....

Below is an enclosed picture of a scally, with description and everything!

Anatomy of a Scally

[attachment deleted by admin]

shazza
9th April 2004, 06:55 AM
Usually the stoners are the skaters. Lol I am friends with skaters, punks, goths and nerds. Haha. It is quite :lemon: to change your personallity from one to the other. I suggest using Ash or Skye for the punk chick. I don't write fanfics myself, but I like to read them :limecool:

PancaKe
14th April 2004, 07:54 AM
I have come to the conclulsion that in Australia, we do not have "scallies".

What do we have that you guys dont have????? um.... gosh... I'm trying to think of all the groups at school.... we have the typical aussie image i guess. Which is probably a combination of skatie/surfie/punk + the laid back bloke attitude. *shrugs*

~Mist

Darien Shields
14th April 2004, 08:11 AM
First of all, I'd like to clear up any confusion over my name.

D-A-R-I-E-N

One R. Just one.
NO Ms. I am not Damien. Damien is someone else. Damien is some sort of knife or sword or something, I'm a person (Shields is a sirname.) Although noteworth is that it's an adopted net identity (cookies to anyone who remembers what Darien Shields comes from.

With that asside, hoping that any incorrect spellings were typoes, well, Neds are a little bit different from scallies, although I do know what burberry is. They tried to copyright Tartan, did you know that?

The Ned:

Identifiable by their adidas, nike and other sporting company tracksuits, the Ned usually travels in herds, so that the group intellect is enough to rival a potato. Neds have an obsession with Mobile (or Cellular, but we say mobile) telephones, surprising since they don't have anything intelligable to say anyway, and frequently renew their technological trinkets. Another denoting quality would be the skip-caps worn often, especially when driving
Noteworthy is that the female ned has some differences from the male, particularly the magpy-like craving for shiny things (it is believed by some that the species are very closely linked), and addorn their wrists with vast swathes of shoddy "gold" bracelets which they will insist are real. This yields a defenning jangle whenever the female ned approaches, which makes her presence obvious. The only other piece of information that comes to mind about the female ned is the nail extensions, particularly useful for scratching in their territorial struggles.

However, the most obvious sign of nedhood is their own innate dialect of english, which sounds little like this;
"Aw right mate. Haw Haw. Didjy get staybed? Haw haw, he gat stabed mon. Pure retarded like, haw. Pure eejit."
Which translates to;
"Ah, right mate (hard to translate, general ned "hello"). Hah Hah. Did you get stabbed? Hah hah, he got stabbed man. Pure (as in undilute; very) retarded. Hah. Pure idiot"

That's about all I know about the Ned. Except they actually have clans with enigmatic names that cannot be deciphered by man, like "CFC" or "RFC", praying to Pagan gods like "Henric Larson" or "Man Chester". Insane.

PancaKe
14th April 2004, 08:58 PM
A Ned is pretty much the equivilent to an australian homie.

homie talk = "sup bro, bro, and she was there bro, she was so f---in hot bro, what a f---in ***** bro. f---in, just smash em bro, bro."

(they like to use bro alot)

which is cool, seeing all the punks/skaties/aussie group in general use dude, and gday and other aussie slang alot.

~Mist